Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unkillable Cat's Unpatriotic CCP Mockery Thread (aka WoD got cancelled)

Thane Solus

Arcane
Meh another arena based shooter, cause we dont have enough of that. I fucking hate these along with Mobas. Cheapest to make, and with proper pay 2 win shop, makes millions. See world of shit tanks or some other degenerate games... VR larpers and pew pew neckbeards. Its gona be great!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What happened to that other EvE shooter they made, Planet 420 or something?

e: It's dead Jim.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well well well... CCP is at it again... but this time they seemed to have learned at least one lesson.

What do I mean?

Two new projects.

"Project Nova" is another attempt at a squad-based FPS game. Details are scarce as development is freshly started, but UK developer Sumo Digital will be handling the brunt of the development work.

"Project Aurora", on the other hand, is a F2P strategy game on the mobiles, and is being co-developed by Finnish developer PlayRaven.

See the lesson they've learned?

As for EVE Online itself, things have been interesting. My month-long subscription back in August got extended a couple of times as I tried to get into the groove of things, and will expire this month. However, one additional announcement from CCP is that "Alpha" clones (the freemium players) will get access to more skills, meaning more modules and ships, including Battleships and T2 stuff!

I honestly don't know what to think of this. On one hand it makes Alpha accounts more useful and gives them more to do in the game. On the other hand it's a death sentence to their subscription model. If anything they needed to nerf the Alpha clones, not buff them. Now players will have even less an incentive to sub their character.

So right now they have three games running, and two in development. Despite what many Codexers wish for, it seems that CCP will live on, even tough EVE may die sooner than predicted.

set

Cipher
I don't think EVE will die so easily. If they go 100% f2p and can devise some creative monetization strategies, it will be able to maintain a healthy playerbase of Russians and Brazillians or something. Maybe an oil baron or two will continued to play it, but yeah I think the game will dwindle until they can transition into a new game. EVE can still be successful as pure f2p, it's just how they handle the transition is important. I dunno how costs are comparatively, but Path of Exile manages to maintain a 100+ person company in NZ selling nothing but stash tabs, kiwi pets and skin transfers.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
CCP Shakeups: 30 people laid off in Iceland, 70 more abroad, Atlanta studio to be closed and the Newcastle studio sold off.

In addition CCP's forays into virtual reality games will be "put on ice" for the next 2-3 years and shift their primary focus... back to Eve Online.

These news have just come in from a shareholder's meeting in Iceland and I'm quoting local sources, so people will have to wait a bit until reliable links will be available.

For once CCP seems to be adjusting their sails to the wind, instead of just plowing on regardless of common sense.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I generally use this thread to mock CCP, but not this time. This time they did gud.

Last November one of CCP's long-time employees died from a heart attack, aged 35. He left behind a fiancée and a year-old baby girl, and absolutely everyone was gutted by the loss.

So CCP decided to hold one of their fundraisers, to honor their lost friend. For just one week in December a special set of ship SKINs was made available for sale in EVE Online, with all proceedings going to the family.

They raised $120000, their second-biggest fundraiser ever.

This one is also somewhat personal for me as I knew the guy. We used to play together when we were kids. He lived just a few houses away from me. :(

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Time for a news update!

# CCP Seagull, lead producer on Eve Online for the past four years, has resigned due to "family concerns", yet she's accepted a position working for Unity in Copenhagen. Uh-huh.

# Eve Online's 15th Anniversary is right around the corner (May 6th) and as a present, every account with get a limited edition shuttle that was last given out 10 years ago. Subscribed accounts however will get the shuttle, the destroyer-class and battlecruiser-class ships from the same line of vessels, plus the brand-spanking new battleship that's been added to the line-up. The Praxis has minimal skill requirements to be flown, yet has more slots than any other ship in the game, and weapon bonuses for all major weapon systems, meaning it can easily out-perform even the most specialized T2 battleships already in the game. In the hands of a novice it'll be a nice tool, in the hands of an expert it'll be a deadly weapon.

(Want one? Upgrade your account to Omega and log in between now and May 7th, when the gifts will be handed out.)

# The next major expansion is due on May 29th, and the biggest addition there will be Abyssal Deadspace sites, or solo PvE dungeons as they're known in MMO-speak. This will contain unique content, including module mutators, a brand-new weapon system (disintegrators, which cause more damage the longer you fire them at a target) and a new line of Triglavian ships.

Why is this being added to the game? Because long-time CEO of CCP, Hilmar Veigar, decided to try playing his own game since the early days of launch... and he discovered that not only is he shit at the game, but that the game itself is also shit. So changes are being made to try to fix that.

Last edited:

Vrab

Learned
a brand-new weapon system (disintegrators, which cause more damage the longer you fire them at a target)

New as in 5th? Laser, hybrid, projectile, missile, disintegrator? Will these new ships be the ones bonused for it if so? Would be a weird move.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
New as in 7th. Laser, hybrid, projectile, missile, drone, smartbomb+doomsdays, disintegrators.

It does Explosive+Thermal damage BTW.

The new ships only have a single turret slot, but the damage output of the disintegrators (plus the Triglavian weapon bonuses) make them equal 3 guns on the Frigate, 4.5 on the Cruiser and 6 on the BS.

Speaking of the ships, here's the Frigate (Demavik):

maxresdefault.jpg

The Cruiser (Vedmak):

eptriglaviancruiser.jpg

And the Battleship (Leshak):

EVE-Online-1.jpg

The downside to the Disintegrator is that it has no falloff range, only optimal.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In the hands of a novice it'll be a nice tool target to blow up and laugh about in voice chat, in the hands of an expert it'll be a deadly weapon.

Fixed.

Why hasn't this died yet?

It's the only thing like it running.

How many people monitoring this thread actually played EVE? I played from 2006-2012. The last few times I logged in were to give away chunks of my (by 2012 standards) substantial fortune. I suppose it's been long enough now to assume so much shit has been added I'd hardly recognize the game, and there's no telling how much I've forgotten.

Vrab

Learned
How many people monitoring this thread actually played EVE? I played from 2006-2012.

Roughly the same time for me. I'm trying to get back now, game is very recognizable but many details have changed and many new ones added. There are many more cloaking ships around, not just covops and force recons that do 200 dps like way back then, but fully functional dmg dealing ships with good tanks, thanks to both t3 rebalance and a new line of ships added. There are ships that can port other nearby ships 100 km away. Capital ships can jump through gates and are otherwise rebalanced. Gang assist modules are changed, together with gang bonuses in general.

Most of the changes I saw favor stealth and mobility, which was always an advantage to begin with so I can't say I like the direction there. Then again that's from a position of a solo low sec casual gameplay, I have no clue how do 0.0 and gangs work. Also no clue on industry, sovereignity or anything having to do with it.

All in all, it would be better if you somehow forgot it all and started anew, I remember things quite well as they were 6 years ago and having to relearn detail after detail that I thought I knew but that turned out to be changed is a problem.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Most of the changes I saw favor stealth and mobility, which was always an advantage to begin with so I can't say I like the direction there. Then again that's from a position of a solo low sec casual gameplay, I have no clue how do 0.0 and gangs work. Also no clue on industry, sovereignity or anything having to do with it.

All in all, it would be better if you somehow forgot it all and started anew, I remember things quite well as they were 6 years ago and having to relearn detail after detail that I thought I knew but that turned out to be changed is a problem.

My favorite ships to fly were always covops frigates and interceptors, even long after I had access to much more powerful ships, so that actually sounds appealing to me. Zero chance of me returning to the game, mind you, but in theory it'd be fun to try the new stuff.

I joined EVE University in 2006, played around in lowsec, then joined the Scrapheap Challenge forums (now Failheap Challenge or whatever). I hooked up with a little pirate corp via the forum and from there on out played as a pirate and small-gang skirmisher looking for gudfites for the majority of my EVE career. I jumped right into wormholes when they were released, which is where I made the bulk of my eventual ~500bn ISK fortune. I ended up in the rather prestigious Agony Unleashed from 2011-2012, again looking for small-gang gudfites and primarily flying covops and intys.

Tribes: Ascend is actually what prompted me to leave EVE, come to think of it, because I discovered it was way more fun playing comp shooters with high skill ceilings than trying to scrounge up gudfites in EVE. I'd been a bittervet for a long time, though, and squeezed most of the fun I could out of EVE.

I did a lot of other weird shit in the interim mind you, such as founding Versus Gloria Omnis, a forum-based corp for RPGnet's Video Games Open subforum: https://evewho.com/corp/Versus+Gloria+Omnis/joinhistory

I left them soon after, since they basically refused to stop being retarded carebears, but several years later they were still going strong (if small) and had joined up with some nullsec alliance to be carebear pets or something. Seem to be inactive now.

I'm not sure I know what "solo low sec casual" means. Did you run PvE missions, or go around looking for solo PvP fights?

Vrab

Learned
I'm not sure I know what "solo low sec casual" means. Did you run PvE missions, or go around looking for solo PvP fights?

Back in the day I was looking for fights. Actually even earned isk that way, including losing fairly expensive Bhaalgorns because for some reason when I'd fly that thing I would have always managed to kill a few expensive pve ships in whs and missions before doing something stupid.

When I said casual I meant what I'm doing now, which is running around the mostly empty amarr low sec looking for blood raider ded plexes and occasionally killing someone that looks particulary interested in getting killed (or dying myself if it turns out he was just pretending lol).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Back in the day I was looking for fights. Actually even earned isk that way, including losing fairly expensive Bhaalgorns because for some reason when I'd fly that thing I would have always managed to kill a few expensive pve ships in whs and missions before doing something stupid.

When I said casual I meant what I'm doing now, which is running around the mostly empty amarr low sec looking for blood raider ded plexes and occasionally killing someone that looks particulary interested in getting killed (or dying myself if it turns out he was just pretending lol).

Typical solo Bhaalgorner. I'd d-scan them sitting just off-grid around lowsec-highsec transitional gates on a regular basis. We got to know some of our neighborhood Bhaalgorners by name. :hero:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
CCP to be acquired by Korean MMO developer Pearl Abyss (Black Desert): https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2018/...earl-abyss-to-acquire-ccp-games-makers-of-eve

Black Desert Online Creators Pearl Abyss to Acquire CCP Games, Makers of EVE Online

CCP_PearlAbyss_PressRelease.jpg

SEOUL - September 6, 2018 - Today, Black Desert Online developer Pearl Abyss announced that it will acquire CCP Games, the creators of popular spaceship MMORPG EVE Online. The deal outlines that CCP Games will continue to operate independently as a developer with studios in Reykjavik, London and Shanghai, while integrating the company’s extensive development and publishing expertise into Pearl Abyss’ operations for all current and future projects.

EVE Online is a space-based, persistent world MMO game, developed by CCP’s Reykjavik studio. The game first launched in 2003 and has since gained recognition for its scale and complexity with regards to player interactions in EVE’s single, shared game world. EVE Online is one of the most critically-acclaimed MMORPG intellectual properties (IPs) in North America and Europe, and one of the most extensive works of science fiction in the world.

Pearl Abyss CEO Robin Jung stated, “We are thrilled to have CCP Games join our team as Black Desert Online continues to branch out globally. CCP is a seasoned publisher with over 15 years of digital distribution experience and know-how. They have done an incredible job of engaging and maintaining their playerbase, which we aim to learn from and hope to integrate natively into Pearl Abyss’ general practices across all our games. I am confident CCP’s reputable IP and expertise in global publishing will help reaffirm our company’s dedication to developing and servicing the world’s best MMORPGs.”

“I have been seriously impressed with what Pearl Abyss has achieved ever since I first visited their website for Black Desert Online and subsequently became an avid player of the game,” said CCP Games CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson. “Pearl Abyss is a fast-growing company with lots to offer in terms of technology, capability and vision. I believe our two companies have a lot to learn from each other. We are very excited to join forces with them and achieve great new heights for our companies, our games and – above all - our players.”

Birgir Már Ragnarsson of Novator Partners and Chairman of CCP commented, “As lead investor in CCP for over 13 years alongside General Catalyst and NEA, we’ve seen CCP go from being a few dozen people strong to employing hundreds all over the world, with an ever-increasing customer base and multiple titles. CEO Hilmar V. Pétursson and his dedicated team have built a company that Novator and its partners are proud to hand over to Pearl Abyss and we wish them the best of luck in their future ventures.”

Pearl Abyss first launched its open-world MMORPG, Black Desert Online, in Korea in 2014. The game has received critical acclaim for its advanced graphics, seamless world, large-scale castle sieges and action-based combat system. Since Pearl Abyss’ initial public offering in 2017, the company has worked to secure competitive global IPs, such as EVE Online, through strategic investments and M&A activity.

Pearl Abyss saw record-high sales in the first half of 2018, following the launch of Black Desert Mobile in Korea. The company is looking forward to another strong year in 2019 with EVE Online and the upcoming global launch of Black Desert Mobile.

Deutsche Bank is acting as financial advisor to Pearl Abyss, and Kim & Chang is providing legal counsel. The Raine Group is acting as financial advisor to CCP Games, and White & Case LLP and LOGOS are providing legal counsel.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
This news item just broke in Iceland as well.

"CCP Games will continue to operate independently" is actually not what I'd like to see happen, as upper-level management is to blame for every single one of CCP's pitfalls in the past 20 years. Hopefully someone at Pearl Abyss will spot that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Conflicted feelings. Hard to say if I want to see CCP fall to Koreans, but at the same time CCP is fucking garbage. At least that dyke Seagull left some months ago. Shame I missed that good bit of news when it happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom