Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Arcanum Patch (Original Thread)

hal900x

Augur
Ah Drog, you are a great man. This is my first post, I registered for the sole reason of heaping praise upon you. I'm some kind of weirdo that follows these types of fan-made patches, particularly for great RPG's of the past. A decent RPG is very hard to find, so when they are lovingly perfected...well, it's spiffy. Torment, TOEE, FF7 and more: I've painstakingly gathered all the fan-made content, checked compatibility between patches, mods, different authors and so forth (a labor in itself).

I make it a policy to wait until every improvement that's going to be made, has been made, before actually playing it. Why hurry when there's more perfection to come? So, keep up the good work and I'll be watching and waiting for that fateful day when you run out of steam.

Secretninja

Cipher
hal900x said:
Ah Drog, you are a great man. This is my first post, I registered for the sole reason of heaping praise upon you. I'm some kind of weirdo that follows these types of fan-made patches, particularly for great RPG's of the past. A decent RPG is very hard to find, so when they are lovingly perfected...well, it's spiffy. Torment, TOEE, FF7 and more: I've painstakingly gathered all the fan-made content, checked compatibility between patches, mods, different authors and so forth (a labor in itself).

I make it a policy to wait until every improvement that's going to be made, has been made, before actually playing it. Why hurry when there's more perfection to come? So, keep up the good work and I'll be watching and waiting for that fateful day when you run out of steam.
lolwut

hal900x

Augur
Major_Blackhart said:
No, his latest update was the high res patch.

Yeah. Parallel development? Too much for one dedicated fan, I supposed. Still, lots of good stuff in the "coming next" section. I love these kinds of people. I haven't coded anything since my assembly debugger in college, which was a good 10 years ago, but this type of thing always inspires me. I should really pick a game and get to work fixing it. That, or write an emulator. Retro game tech is awesome.

Teslacrashed

Novice
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any chance anyone would know if Krupps all-in-one modpack with it's numerous changes to guns and stuff is compatible? methinks it probably isn't.

Any other mods people know about that are compatible?

hal900x

Augur
I checked the changelogs for both the official patch and all UAP versions and saw no reference to my issue. When I got to expert of Persuasion, I only got one additional follower possible, up from 3 to 4. The original manual says I should have gained 2 additional possible followers. Is this a bug, or is there a hard cap of 4?

Edit: I'm seeing references around the web to a bonus of only 1 follower. Maybe this was changed in a prior official patch that was merged into the final? I can't find any changelogs or readmes with reference to this change from the manual. Typo in the original manual?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
No, I do recall even in the 1074 patched version of being able to get 2 more followers as a bonus to Expert persuasion.
Drog - Help us out here.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I haven't changed anything. Expert Persuasion gives you one extra follower, and then you also get a follower slot for each 4 points of CH. That is, you can have 6 followers in total (CH20 / 4 + 1 from Expert Persuasion).

ARZ

Novice
BTW, if someone gives Ristezze the camera in exchange for the P. Schuyler information, and later wants to become a master in repair, are they pretty much screwed? Or does Ristezze carry it for the rest of the game?

Forget Ristezze, what if you don't have the camera anymore, for whatever purpose. Say you dump it in a bin and it is removed from the game. Is there no workaround?

Kavax

Scholar
Ristezze (and any other shopkeepers) carries it for the entirety of the game, but there's no way of getting mastery in repair if you throw the camera into a bin or leave it in the Isle of Despair.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Major_Blackhart said:
Hey Drog, if I wanted to do the God's quest, would it work if I was 100 in tech or would Velorien's resurrection, etc, not work at all?
This issue (technologists not getting resurrected at Velorien's altar) has been fixed in the official patch.

Be sure to buy a Li'tani before your TA gets too high though, as only the elven trader in Ashbury sells it and he hates technologists.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, another question then about Tech disciplines. Why is the electrical score so low to create a tesla gun? I think it's only 55 or something, while gunsmithing must be at least 70 or 80. You can't even create a tesla rod without mastering the discipline, so why so low? Can you find a Tesla Rod in game?

Blooo

Novice
I'm sorry if this has been answered already (I haven't read all 90-odd pages) but I can't get windowed mode to work. I've created a shortcut to arcanum.exe and added the -window argument in the target field so it looks like this: "snipsnip\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -window

And It always starts in full screen. Help please? I'd really like this to be windowed. If I put -window inside the quotes I get a message that it's an invalid target.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Blooo said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered already (I haven't read all 90-odd pages) but I can't get windowed mode to work. I've created a shortcut to arcanum.exe and added the -window argument in the target field so it looks like this: "snipsnip\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -window
Should work. Make sure that you have the UAP installed correctly, this option isn't available in the vanilla version.

flushfire

Augur
ive just been replaying the game and wanted to say thanks for the continued work. anyway...

im not sure if this is supposed to happen, or if it does in the official patch, but after P.Schuyler and Sons when Magnus starts the conversation "thanks for siding with me..." and i end it with "...i think we should part ways now" he does get kicked out of the party but then the entire party suddenly dies with a red wraith animation. kicking him out anytime works fine, just not in that conversation.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
This is the way the script works in the original game. I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a feature, so I've never fixed it.

flushfire

Augur
thanks for clearing that up. sucks though, it couldve been a good ending to his story as far as my party is concerned. oh well guess ill just have to kill him when he attacks the schuylers.

Kogorn

Novice
Major_Blackhart said:
Well, another question then about Tech disciplines. Why is the electrical score so low to create a tesla gun? I think it's only 55 or something, while gunsmithing must be at least 70 or 80. You can't even create a tesla rod without mastering the discipline, so why so low? Can you find a Tesla Rod in game?

Considering how many ranks you have to have in the Electricity Discipline to craft a tesla rod (I don't believe you can get one any other way in the game), the electricity score is really irrelevant. If you want my opinion, however, I think it's an error on Troika's part and it was supposed to be 70 electrical and 55 gunsmithing. There's no way to be sure of course and it's not certain enough to warrant correction, but that's my hunch :)

hal900x

Augur
flushfire said:
ive just been replaying the game and wanted to say thanks for the continued work. anyway...

im not sure if this is supposed to happen, or if it does in the official patch, but after P.Schuyler and Sons when Magnus starts the conversation "thanks for siding with me..." and i end it with "...i think we should part ways now" he does get kicked out of the party but then the entire party suddenly dies with a red wraith animation. kicking him out anytime works fine, just not in that conversation.

Any speculation from the experts what the plotline justification for this event woudl be? Like, vengeance of the dwarven spirits/Schuylers from beyond the grave/etc? Then again, it's probably the result of a rushed copy/paste after several sleepless, deadline-panic'd evenings.

hal900x

Augur
Does Drog work on this consistently, or in bursts when he gets free time? I am fairly slavering with anticipation for the dialog check improvements and the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom