Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal

Astral Rag

Arcane
The sheer size of maps like Lava Giant and Facing Worlds blew me away back in the day and IMO they're still beautiful and fun to play anno 2014.

I was always more of a Quake 3 Arena player though, so when I revisited UT over the years I mainly replayed my favourite base maps before returning to Q3.

I do have a fairly large collection of custom maps installed and will post a list of the ones I enjoyed once I played through all of them at least a few times. I don't want to risk sharing mediocre stuff.

I will try all the maps listed :bro:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Ariza was indeed a bit buggy at launch. Bots would wait indefinitely at the top of a lift they could not activate. I believe this was later patched.

Yeah Tundra is a crazy map.

It's actually rather small and there is a constant race/battle for the Eightball Launchers/ RL and the Flak Cannon going on. Both RL are only reachable via elevators. To get to the Flak Cannon you have to cross a little square... that is located below the rocket launcher locations. Oh and there is also a Bio Rifle in one of the towers.

:troll:

E721EF944549270E009FDD85EE1EC019466C7256

Trying to reach the Minigun and Super Health can also be pretty hazardous.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I bought Unreal Gold and UT during the GOG.com sale earlier this week (they are still 75% off for 36 more hours).

I only played UT before, so I decided to start with that. It's been over ten years since I last played it and it's even better than I remembered (and I'm not even a FPS fan).

DraQ

Arcane
Ariza was indeed a bit buggy at launch. Bots would wait indefinitely at the top of a lift they could not activate. I believe this was later patched.

Yeah Tundra is a crazy map.

It's actually rather small and there is a constant race/battle for the Eightball Launchers/ RL and the Flak Cannon going on. Both RL are only reachable via elevators. To get to the Flak Cannon you have to cross a little square... that is located below the rocket launcher locations. Oh and there is also a Bio Rifle in one of the towers.

:troll:

E721EF944549270E009FDD85EE1EC019466C7256

Trying to reach the Minigun and Super Health can also be pretty hazardous.
I remember being able to push the statue and have it fall onto the courtyard and shatter.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I actually think I played it as a mod from UT

Tell us more, that sounds interesting.
Hell if I can. I remember it was a complete Unreal campaign in UT. You could change some stuff (like individual weapons) or keep them like they were, but graphics, enemies, sounds and everything else was exactly the same. The problem is, now I can't find the mod on the net anywhere, and I've been searching for the last half hour. Did I imagine this? I don't think so because the details I do remember are too specific, but where the hell is it then?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/oldskool-ampd

It usually comes bundled with SP mappacks for UT as well.

Well, it doesn't come with anything on the link you posted. Do i need the mappacks to actually run the single player? When i start the mod nothing happens.

DraQ

Arcane
I actually think I played it as a mod from UT

Tell us more, that sounds interesting.
Hell if I can. I remember it was a complete Unreal campaign in UT. You could change some stuff (like individual weapons) or keep them like they were, but graphics, enemies, sounds and everything else was exactly the same. The problem is, now I can't find the mod on the net anywhere, and I've been searching for the last half hour. Did I imagine this? I don't think so because the details I do remember are too specific, but where the hell is it then?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/oldskool-ampd

It usually comes bundled with SP mappacks for UT as well.

Well, it doesn't come with anything on the link you posted. Do i need the mappacks to actually run the single player? When i start the mod nothing happens.
I said the mod is usually bundled with SP mappacks, not that SP mappacks are bundled with the mod.

Go to the custom map reviews and download whatever catches your eye, if it's for UT, it will probably come with the mod.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i'll put the mod aside for now. I actually got the urge to replay the original as is. Only finished it once.

Most amazing thing so far: being able to experience the game without frame rate drops. Also funny that i'm playing the game on Unreal and finding that i'm not being challenged enough, where as at the time it seemed too hard for me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I found this website with lots of (dead, but google helps) links to SP map packs, with handy reviews. So far i've downloaded everything that's rated 70+, both for UT and the original. Do you have any particular SP map packs that you can recommend or is this it?

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/reviews.html

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i finally got the games all modded up. One thing though, is there any reason to actually run unreal under UT? So far they look the same to me.

DraQ

Arcane
I found this website with lots of (dead, but google helps) links to SP map packs, with handy reviews. So far i've downloaded everything that's rated 70+, both for UT and the original. Do you have any particular SP map packs that you can recommend or is this it?

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/reviews.html
That's pretty much it.

Although your mileage may vary depending on your own and reviewer's personal taste, for example I'd consistently rate EZkeel's maps lower than they're rated on USP, because the guy cannot into any sort of semi-convincing geometry (AKA cannot into building shit) and tended to stick religious proselytizing into every corner of his maps (turned out to have been his attempt at fighting personal crisis of faith) and they suck as a result in spite of guy being pretty brilliant coder and designer.

So i finally got the games all modded up. One thing though, is there any reason to actually run unreal under UT? So far they look the same to me.
Some need UT because they were built in it or use some of its features, other than that it's the matter of preference.

Anyway, a short rundown of the best maps I've played (in no particular order):
  • Deja Vu - an experience designed to resemble original Unreal, although maybe a bit less coherent and generic in terms of premise (you can only crash land on the planet and then try to GTFO so many times before it gets boring) as a result. More than makes up for this with sheer length and excellent maps.
  • The Tower of Shrakith'a - short and old campaign but will keep you blown away with atmosphere, map quality, environment design and occasional scripted setpiece. Unique and original on all counts.
  • Nali Chronicles - held back by poor build quality near the beginning, shoddy new models (weapons and the like), some bugs and hilariously broken shit as well as hastily patched plot gap caused by crucial team member dropping out along with his content, it's nevertheless a must play due to its original take on Unreal universe (you play as a Nali mage, and it's a prequel to Unreal), atmosphere and novel take on stuff like magic (complete with light use based skill system and innovative way to replenish your mana) and alchemy systems. Doubly so if you're an RPG fan. Story-heavy and quite a bit less action oriented than your usual Unreal campaign.
  • Xidia series (both Xidia campaigns, Na Pali Haven Redeux, 7 Bullets) - long, superb quality, somewhat story-oriented, maybe a bit too heavy on cutscenes and reminescing of some modern trends which may diminish your enjoyment through unpleasant associations (certainly not through gameplay, fortunately as the series is one of the highest points in Unreal SP modding).
  • ONP - arcade despite attempts at story, and with horribly grating voiceacting, saved by varied gameplay that stays fresh despite its massive length and excellent maps.
  • Skaarj Tower Shadow And Fire - arcade and largely unpolished, it nevertheless needs to be played through for the sense of scale alone (at least the first map does). Works best in coop and seems to have been built for it.
  • The Last Fortress - relatively recent map and quite stunning one, although a bit monotonous.
That's pretty much the must-play tier. Then there is awesome tier, containing relatively unique maps like Hexephet, Ortican, Project Zephon, Chicoverde's maps that are not that distinct from one another, but stand out as a whole, and a bunch of others that are excellent but simply don't stand out enough to make them instantly memorable.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Cool, i'll try those first and then play with the other maps as i go. I'm also downloading some of the Unreal 1 based games, like Undying, Wheel of Time and the Klingon total conversion (funny how things which were considered a detriment back in the day are now a plus). Probably as much Unreal as i'll ever need.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wow, didn't know that Beer from Outer Space have sequel. Should try it and remind the original.

Anyway - what's the konsensus about Wheel of Time? REaded review years back and watched videos not ling time ago and first impression wasn't good.

Edit
what a shame, I forgot how to operate on .umod files. Always liked simple files extractions.

DraQ

Arcane
Wow, didn't know that Beer from Outer Space have sequel. Should try it and remind the original.

Anyway - what's the konsensus about Wheel of Time? REaded review years back and watched videos not ling time ago and first impression wasn't good.

Edit
what a shame, I forgot how to operate on .umod files. Always liked simple files extractions.
If you have UT installed properly, it should handle it on its own, just double click the file.

If not (like me, because my UT installation likely predates my two last OSes), you'll need to get an external tool like UMOD Extractor or UMOD Tool.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you have UT installed properly, it should handle it on its own, just double click the file.

If not (like me, because my UT installation likely predates my two last OSes), you'll need to get an external tool like UMOD Extractor or UMOD Tool.

I hope so, last time (few years ago) there was some issues and was forced to use these program you mentioned. On the other hand - it worked when I was working on Win98 and early days with XP. Strange...

And still can't find that missions with huge pyraminds, robots etc. some separate mod/mode.

DraQ

Arcane

I hope so, last time (few years ago) there was some issues and was forced to use these program you mentioned. On the other hand - it worked when I was working on Win98 and early days with XP. Strange...

And still can't find that missions with huge pyraminds, robots etc. some separate mod/mode.
What was it? Was it a single map plus some intro and outro maps, that was atypically light on combat, and heavy on alien architecture?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What was it? Was it a single map plus some intro and outro maps, that was atypically light on combat, and heavy on alien architecture?

No, it wasn't singleplayer mission. More like separate gamemode for UT with jets? flying robots? Remember some Stargate or Dragon Balls wibes. And maps were huge. Like DM-Pyramind on one map but few times bigger.

DraQ

Arcane

No, it wasn't singleplayer mission. More like separate gamemode for UT with jets? flying robots? Remember some Stargate or Dragon Balls wibes. And maps were huge. Like DM-Pyramind on one map but few times bigger.
Ah, nvm.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Gog version messes up reg path of game. There's a utility called UT99RegFix that solves this. Alternaitvely, installing the original with the Gold Path 227i fixes umods as well.

Currently playing around with texture packs. They only seem to work the 451b patch. No biggies, since apparently the patch is recognized for online play. Extreme textures actually slows the game down (with a 660 Ti, no less). Trying high end now.

DraQ

Arcane
Gog version messes up reg path of game. There's a utility called UT99RegFix that solves this. Alternaitvely, installing the original with the Gold Path 227i fixes umods as well.

Currently playing around with texture packs. They only seem to work the 451b patch. No biggies, since apparently the patch is recognized for online play. Extreme textures actually slows the game down (with a 660 Ti, no less). Trying high end now.
I've heard 451 fucks up some SP royally. You're probably best off with 436.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, it seems i made everything work without the 451 patch. Extreme textures no longer lag too. Must have been a glitch.

So what i did so far is install UT, replace the opengl driver with this one:

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Apply the regfix so i can run umods:

http://unreal.co/downloads/index.php?dir=tools/&sort=size&order=desc

Then went into the ini of the game and under opengl i pasted the following (copied from a tweak guide. Didn't check the individual options yet to see what they actually do, but hey, it works):

Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
ZRangeHack=False
AAFilterHint=2
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
FrameRateLimit=120
SwapInterval=-1
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=False
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=True
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
UseTNT=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000

Now, after installing the oldskool230 as well as the oldmodels umods, i installed this modded version of the Na Pali expansion:

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2187

But before that i copied all of the folders from the original game (Maps, Music, Sounds, Textures) into the UT folder without overriding anything (not sure how much i need to actually run the original game inside UT. I copied everything just to make sure). I then copied over all the files from the Na Pali Ultimate Edition. Included in this mod there is a bat file which loads the game with the Unreal Gold menu and recognizes all the map packs you have, including the original unreal and every map pack made for it (tried a couple, they all seem to work). I then applied the HD textures, overriding everything.

So voila, everything seems to work inside UT and i even get the original golden menu to boot. The HD textures look wonderful too (DAT colored lighting indeed). The modders did a good job maintaining the look of the originals.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Found a better guide to edit the ini files:

http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=373

Didn't know about the fourth bonus pack not being included in the GOTY edition (gog, wtf). Also didn't know about the FOV fix for UT.

I also took out the HD textures. Yeah they look great but there's still a lot of stuff that from the original that has remained unchanged, so that the game is HD one moment, and old school another. I'm going to install the EPIC textures next to see if they blend in easier.

DraQ

Arcane
FYI, you don't need to copy textures and sounds - those are already included in base UT. Only music and maps need to be copied, for original and mods will come bundled with any external resources they might need.

From what I've heard slowdowns with 451 are linked to textures being erroneously set to masked, essentially borking all BSP.
:hearnoevil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom