Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Update #5

hexer

Super_mutant.gif

Current team lineup: Ilove3D (mapper), The Brazilian Slaughter (gameplay designer), Vaarna_Aarne (writer), grotsnik (writer), Whisky (writer), Kamoho (writer), Kane Vollstrecker (inventory art), hexer (everything else)

Hello mutants!

As you can see our team has grown. We finally found another FOnline mapper who is currently finishing Twin Mothers area. TBS joined us to help with SPECIAL and overall gameplay changes. He'll also contribute as a designer for one area.

We found a professional VO actor for our intro, end game slides, and perhaps a talking head or two.

And now for something unexpected! During our last Skype session, the team came up with the following idea - the player can play the game as either a ghoul or a super mutant! I personally can't wait to try out something different for a change.

I've been very busy making new art lately. Because there is so much of it, I'm sleeping no more than 5 hours a day. But that is the price I have to pay if I want to deliver! Currently, my game installation folder is already over 3 Gb but still there's much to be done.

P.S. We are looking for people that know how to make isometric game scenery or 3D movies.

See you around!

Ghoul2.gif

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Super Mutant and Ghouls being playable were referred to in the docs in a few places, but there was little elaboration aside from a few references of NPCs being paranoid about you in certain areas. It was something that fans have always wanted to do, so we felt that it would be a worthy endeavor.

I hope to make both choices have a lot of reactivity from NPCs.

hexer

Yep, if your companions can consist of ghouls and super mutants then there's no issue with you being one of them.
It won't break the story or anything and it's worth the extra effort.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm hoping playable super mutants can get armor better than combat armor level (which is as far as Marcus grows in FO2 afaik).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The immunity is purely a technicality due to the fact the main effect of the virus doesn't even do anything to them. Born Ghouls are a different matter.

hexer

I'm hoping playable super mutants can get armor better than combat armor level (which is as far as Marcus grows in FO2 afaik).

I'd say that since we have crafting in the game, anything's possible.
Actually, the most powerful (pre-War) equipment can be acquired only through crafting.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like having different "races" playing in different ways... like Super-Mutants relying more on hit points and resistances than armor.

P.S. We are looking for people that know how to make isometric game scenery or 3D movies.
I suck at 3D, sorry.

vitamin

Augur
I like having different "races" playing in different ways... like Super-Mutants relying more on hit points and resistances than armor.
:thumbsup:

As for crafting - any chances to implement something like schematics from Arcanum?

vitamin

Augur
As items because I didn't like the crafting system in Arcanum.

hexer

Yes, there are schematics to be found on holodisks and elsewhere (don't won't to spoil it for you!)

omnimercurial

Novice
Lovely stuff! :)

Fallout NV dlc dabbled with Cyborg upgrades, will Van Buren feature something similar?

hexer

Yes! Cyborgs and cybernetic implants are part of the Fallout world from Fallout 1 and we plan on allowing you to play as a cyborg.

omnimercurial

Novice
Yay! <(^_^)>

Will it need Fallout 1 or 2 to run? Or will it be Standalone like C&C Twisted Insurrection?

Trephs

Novice
You'll have to make some tremendous work if you wanna forge all these things like super mutant, ghoul or cyborg main character into F3 flawlessly, not just skin and animation and different features and characterictics but a great writing and different behavior of many NPCs (even extra design work) and let's be honest, F3 was not supposed to be played like that. Also you'll have to guess how NPCs would react to non-human main character which may cause a quility loss and you'll have to make way more content and likely even extra quests if you want it to be interesting expirience. If you realise all that and ready - go ahead. Maybe it's just me who can't imagine all this done into comprehensive story.

hexer

You'll have to make some tremendous work if you wanna forge all these things like super mutant, ghoul or cyborg main character into F3 flawlessly, not just skin and animation and different features and characterictics but a great writing and different behavior of many NPCs (even extra design work) and let's be honest, F3 was not supposed to be played like that. Also you'll have to guess how NPCs would react to non-human main character which may cause a quility loss and you'll have to make way more content and likely even extra quests if you want it to be interesting expirience. If you realise all that and ready - go ahead. Maybe it's just me who can't imagine all this done into comprehensive story.

Since your VB companions can be super-mutants and ghouls, I don't think there will be any bigger problems with you being one of them. BIS designers already noted down any special reactions regarding them in the docs.

Yay! <(^_^)>

Will it need Fallout 1 or 2 to run? Or will it be Standalone like C&C Twisted Insurrection?

You will need Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trephs

Novice

Since your VB companions can be super-mutants and ghouls, I don't think there will be any bigger problems with you being one of them. BIS designers already noted down any special reactions regarding them in the docs.

Alrighty then.
Wish you the best with your project, must be helluva lot of work to be done.
Not quite sure, but maybe you can use some recources of this abandoned mod: http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthre...0-is-fan-made-on-line-RPG-based-on-NWN2/page3

hexer

I dunno. I think he's cautious because big Fallout mods have a history of epic fails.
He's welcome to join us at any time.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Because he's been there, done that. And has plenty of other shit he needs to do without taking on anything else.

omnimercurial

Novice

Yay! <(^_^)>

You will need Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

I have Fallout 2 but not Tactics.

Do GOG distribute it?

omnimercurial

Novice
My Laptop died a little while back but I'm getting a replacement soon.

I really have great admiration for guys and gals like you that work on Van Buren, LoK: Blood Omnicide etc.

I'd really like to pay back all the hard work and dedication you guys put in.

I have no experience in modding sadly but I would be willing to learn and help out once I have a Computer again.

Do you have any reccomendations on how to get started for a newbie? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom