Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UPDATED: In need of JRPGs with good combat (preferrably tactical combat)

Ash

Arcane
Japanese RPG = RPG made in Japan.
JRPG = A sub-genre of RPG that became popular in Japan. It usually has some sort of turn-based combat, heavy emphasis on story, all the characters have predefined backgrounds and personalities, and it needs to have animu art. Not animu "sprites" as that is usually difficult to accomplish, but animu art. Also, almost no choices to make or your choices don't matter at all.

By that nonsensical definition it rules out the most popular JRPG, Final Fantasy, as a JRPG, as there is no animu art style in any with the exception of the modern ones, or a game or two in the series with arguably animu-leaning character model styles.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
By that nonsensical definition it rules out the most popular JRPG, Final Fantasy, as a JRPG, as there is no animu art style in any with the exception of the modern ones, or a game or two in the series with arguably animu-leaning character model styles.

Nigga, are you kidding me?

1. Turn-based combat: check.
  2. Heavy emphasis on story: check.
  3. Predefined backgrounds and personalities: check.
  4. Animu art: check.

Ash

Arcane

Like I said, one or two games in the series with animu-leaning character models/designs. Very mild animu at that.

Not animu:

FF9

latest

FF8

latest

Nigga

tet666

Augur
JRPG are narrative focused rpgs while WRPG are character focused rpgs.
JRPGs feature predefined, well-developed characters who follow a rigidly defined sequence of events, whereas WRPGs have characters with much more nebulous personalities, with the player having more control over both the characters and the sequence of events. JRPGs have more focus on plot, while WRPGs often focus on gameplay. Art style or combat system is totally unimportant here.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I disagree on the gameplay part. JRPGs have a LOT more focus on gameplay, which is why you see a ton of oddball and abstract leveling systems, crafting systems, combat combo systems and so forth. They're always trying to spice things up by reinventing the wheel to keep people engaged. Western RPGs tend to be more muted and simply rely on good old dice rolling without straying too far from the norm with their systems.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Japanese RPG = RPG made in Japan.
JRPG = A sub-genre of RPG that became popular in Japan. It usually has some sort of turn-based combat, heavy emphasis on story, all the characters have predefined backgrounds and personalities, and it needs to have animu art. Not animu "sprites" as that is usually difficult to accomplish, but animu art. Also, almost no choices to make or your choices don't matter at all.

who the hell creates this bs

tet666

Augur
I disagree on the gameplay part. JRPGs have a LOT more focus on gameplay, which is why you see a ton of oddball and abstract leveling systems, crafting systems, combat combo systems and so forth. They're always trying to spice things up by reinventing the wheel to keep people engaged. Western RPGs tend to be more muted and simply rely on good old dice rolling without straying too far from the norm with their systems.

Yeah but it's not the main focus of the game, advancing the plot is which makes it genre defining.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Yeah but it's not the main focus of the game, advancing the plot is.

No it's not. There are even whole series of games that have a laser focus on one gameplay aspect and everything else around it is superficial. Western RPGs can't claim the same.

Jacob

Patron
Science Fiction: Fiction genre about (im)probable science
Sci-Fi: Boring pretentious stories featuring people in tight suit and rubber costumes. It usually has spaceships.

Jacob

Patron
also, final fantasy is not "animu", I'm not saying it's actually mature and all, but it's definitely not "animu"

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
also, final fantasy is not "animu", I'm not saying it's actually mature and all, but it's definitely not "animu"

I concede, even though it is clear by plenty of its characters hairstyles that it has animu roots.

I would reserve "animu" for characters from other videogame franchises, like Dragon Quest.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
>wants interesting enjoyable combat
>not valkyrie profile

lol

I'm juggling hundreds of games at the moment. In a couple of hours I'll post a reworked list. What I'm looking for now is either something that has good combat, or that at the very least is mature in its story/setting.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Hello Codexers.

Once again, I've edited my list. You can see it here. It's 77 japanese-made RPGs. Which ones of these games would you say are not worth someone's time? I'm feeling very strong towards the games in Gold, either because I have played some of them, or because they seem to be really popular games.

I tried to make a concise list of great games, but I'm also in for a challenge. Which ones should I avoid, in that case? For the record, only games that I can play on PC or emulate (in English) are here. If it is part of a franchise or series, and it isn't here, it doesn't fulfill those two requirements.

Also, I'm not interested in suggestions anymore, unless you have a really, really cool game that is extremely similar to Vagrant Story.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
seems like you already made up your mind so why bother

You are a bad person, but I'll listen to your Valkyrie Profile suggestion and add those three to the list, and call it a day.

Hyperion

Arcane

Nigga, are you kidding me?

1. Turn-based combat: check.
  2. Heavy emphasis on story: check.
  3. Predefined backgrounds and personalities: check.
  4. Animu art: check.

The original Final Fantasy was a Wizardry clone with a traversible overworld, and 3rd person combat. Choosing your classes (or at least choosing the stats you develop, and the gear and spells along with it) continued until 4 when they gave you a balanced, and more or less "optimal" set of classes, each with their own personalities. It just so happened most class change was bypassed, except for Cecil and Rydia. If you look at the status screen, you can even seen the multiple hits system still in play, just hidden from the common eye to make it less confusing. It's why most hammers and axes suck balls even though their damage is high - accuracy did still matter, and led to wildly differing damage amounts. This was simplified to random elements used for calculations in future installments, most notably Final Fantasy Tactics, and Final Fantasy XII.

Its current state may not suggest it at all, from art style to systems, but Final Fantasy certainly started by taking influence from classic RPG's. It's not a secret that Sakaguchi has a huge hard on for Ultima, and Wizardry. By your definition, it probably isn't a JRPG...but that argument is so fucking tired and annoying, and really, who gives a shit?

tet666

Augur
Hello Codexers.

Once again, I've edited my list. You can see it here. It's 77 japanese-made RPGs. Which ones of these games would you say are not worth someone's time? I'm feeling very strong towards the games in Gold, either because I have played some of them, or because they seem to be really popular games.

I tried to make a concise list of great games, but I'm also in for a challenge. Which ones should I avoid, in that case? For the record, only games that I can play on PC or emulate (in English) are here. If it is part of a franchise or series, and it isn't here, it doesn't fulfill those two requirements.

Also, I'm not interested in suggestions anymore, unless you have a really, really cool game that is extremely similar to Vagrant Story.

FFT WotL(SRPG),Vagrant Story,Trails in the Sky+SC and Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 3 (SRPG) are my faves from that list by far i also second Valkyrie Profile it's a fantastic game the second game wasn't bad either and it's the most beautiful PS2 game by far.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Do what I ultimately did and start playing all Ys games on highest difficulty settings. GOG has them currently at 70% off for a day or two more.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
FFT WotL(SRPG),Vagrant Story,Trails in the Sky+SC and Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 3 (SRPG) are my faves from that list by far i also second Valkyrie Profile it's a fantastic game the second game wasn't bad either and it's the most beautiful PS2 game by far.

Do what I ultimately did and start playing all Ys games on highest difficulty settings. GOG has them currently at 70% off for a day or two more.

Thank you! Any Ys games or Valkyria Profile games I should avoid?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You can decide for yourself:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm

Basically focus on remakes available on GOG/Steam. If you want to go in-depth like me and discover Ys' as a franchise then add the Wanderers from Ys, Ys IV and Ys V.

There's also Ys Seven (PSP), which can be emulated, and Ys: Memories of Celceta, which has a translation patch available for the Chinese PC version. Anyhow, thank you! I'm going to play them all.

tet666

Augur

Thank you! Any Ys games or Valkyria Profile games I should avoid?

For Valkyrie Profile no even Covenant of the Plume the third game on the DS was pretty good (it's a SRPG and not a JRPG like the first games) and i liked the story actually more then the one from the second game.
I didn't play all YS games so far but most of them, from the ones i played i only didn't really enjoy the remake of the first 2 games (Chronicles or something) you just bump into enemy's to fight them it feels very dated after playing later entry's couldn't finish it.

RuySan

Augur
TiTs combat it's probably among my favourites when it comes to RPGs , but unfortunately it's attached to a very text heavy game.

tet666

Augur
TiTs combat it's probably among my favourites when it comes to RPGs , but unfortunately it's attached to a very text heavy game.

Wtf is unfortunate about that, it's very well and charming written you don't like reading?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom