Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If someone deletes post I reply to does my post get deleted too? I swear to god I replied to shit yesterday that isn't here anymore lmao.
Try to look into retardo land, if you can't find your post, you have quite nasty proof that moderators are deleting shit AND posts that are quoting shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck this fight, seems simple but she has one attack that can instant kill you and its making me waste a lot of opportunities to hit her by being too careful and not get killed by that attack.

Not sure what the priest's role in this fight other that being eaten by me or Marie, wonder if you can even save him for something.

You didn't see shit yet :)

Honestly, the boss fights are insane. The following ones are even harder and not optional.
Really? I had no problems after the cemetery fight,just club them to dearth.

CheatEngine doesn't count.
Nah mate,i didn't use any skills against the bosses,just smash them with the fully upgraded stick. I use it only to get my level back and see what the skillz do,never use them after that. It seems that the bosses strength depends on how many people have killed or the district health. Only vamp skill i used was the one for healing.

Jokzore

Arbiter
The writing is soo unintentionally comical.

The main character keeps flaunting his atheist card every chance he gets. Yet not 15 minutes ago was he rolling on the floor screaming and thrashing blinded by a crucifix emanating holy light.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
"bloodspear" her pussy man.

Anyway I stopped playing a couple of days ago because I am on a trip and haven't brought the console along(obviously). I was left with a very positive impression after 5-6 hours gameplay, I hope the game doesn't nosedive in quality as it progresses.

I think I'm close to the end and the experience's quality remains constant for the entire game.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
- Why can't I sell my weapons to the black guy in front of the hospital? I could sell other stuff, or buy weapons from him though. Do I have to put them somewhere before I can sell them?
- There is this kid in the hospital in the room with his mom. He has throat issues. After I slept he now seems to be nearly dead. How do I heal him without having any real resources atm?

Jokzore

Arbiter
- Why can't I sell my weapons to the black guy in front of the hospital? I could sell other stuff, or buy weapons from him though. Do I have to put them somewhere before I can sell them?
- There is this kid in the hospital in the room with his mom. He has throat issues. After I slept he now seems to be nearly dead. How do I heal him without having any real resources atm?

The only way to cure people is through medicine
Make sure to recycle all of your junk, don't sell it, and keep your eye out for formulas, the first one should be sold by the indian fellow in the back of the hospital
The throat boys illness is the least of his problems

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

^^

Recycle shit and build potions.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished it.

To be honest, the first thing I should say about this game is that it's not Euro-Jank, it's more like 2A and very close to AAA. The visuals can be impressive (UE4), the atmosphere is good, the combat is reactive, the animations are mo-cap and even the music is good. ELEX looks retarded compared to this.

Then the second thing I should say is that the main story is good. Not great or spectacular, but it is solid and it doesn't try to subvert your expectations with retarded twists. This is really important for a storyfag like myself.

Even the combat is decent: it's fluid, you can dash (invulnerability frames)/parry/cancel animations and you have to manage your health/stamina/blood/position in fights which should have have some appeal to Dark Souls fans.

Then to my surprise they threw in some C&C: because I'm an old retard I was expecting the best outcome if I spare all human NPCs. And I was proved wrong :) An entire district can be destroyed if you spare/embrace/charm the wrong arsehole. And the funny thing is that I had all the information I needed not to make bad decisions but I went with my gamey instincts and I failed because it was obvious that my choice was retarded in the game context. There are not many instances like this but the existing ones are really cool. Also you can visit the districts after you fucked them up.

The social system is more like a hit-or-miss thing. Things can happen independently of the player and the districts can feel the consequences. It's a nice touch.

Not a bad package overall.

But there are a few things which really muddle the experience:
- The main character is a light-SJW stereotype: atheist, open-minded, soaked with self-victimization and a hipster beard. Several times he expressed views I couldn't give a shit or I completely disagreed with.
- Unfortunately most side-quests are not worth the time or have some light-SJW backgrounds. Every feminist trope is in: strong independent women, pay gap, sexism ... something something about suffragettes. Tumblerinas in action.
- Shitty itemization and looting madness like in Fallout 3. After finishing the game I cannot name the weapon I've used. I know that it was a two-hand club but that's about it.
- The dialog wheel and the need to press all options to gather hints. No comment. This is disgusting.
- Story-telling with a cognitive dissonance impediment: the main character starts complaining about eternity as soon as he is transformed into a vampire :) At first I was thinking that it is a slip-up but then there were several occasions when he acted like that.
- Another failure in the writing department: you simply have no reason to kill most NPCs. On one hand you have monsters which deserve to die and on the other hand you have people which are sick of London, are simply lonely or retarded. The narrative treats all of them in the same way. In their desire to make every choice challenging they have created a world in which every person exists in the gray-area and nobody stands up (except one guy which had to die no matter what).
- The night can take as long as you like therefore it's better to do as much as possible and sleep as rare as possible.
- If you use consumables during a mini-boss fight and you die then you lose the consumables. However Blood is never an issue because you can use a weapon with Stun and bite enemies for more Blood.
- Mini-boss/End-boss reused in like 2 fights. The first fight is brutal and then the second one is the last fight in the game :/
- The map is an abomination which doesn't even work properly on Kb + Mouse.
- Eternal loading screens. Lots of walking. Re-spawning mobs. Console controls.

Bottom line: Good for whatever it is. Definitely worth one play-through for Thief, VtMB or Dishonored fans. But overall it's not worth 40 potatoes.

It's a nice try from a small studio and there is some potential for the inevitable sequel. But this is no classic RPG while imho it's better than Life is Strange, Remember Me or Technomancer.

Last edited:
Finished it.

Can't say I liked what they did to the myth. Blood this and blood that and blood everything is not really a Celtic thing, in my opinion. Assyrians in particular have a bunch of kings that are just asking to be declared immortal bloodsuckers. Instead, your maker is literally Merlin and the most famous and most important vampire is the greatest champion of the English Crown. Which goes with what I mentioned in my previous post. This game is like a Brexiter's take on the vampire legend. The vampire secret society is more of an Empire secret society and the most powerful potion is made by mixing blood and tears of greatest British kings and heroes. Vampirism here is almost a function of British patriotism. I still find it hard to believe this was made by the French. I'm more likely to believe it was made by actual vampires than by non-Brits.

Most of the flaws have already been covered but one thing I feared as soon as I heard the number of citizens was that the city will feel underpopulated. And unfortunately, aside from the hospital, it kinda does. The ideal number would probably be something like 80 or perhaps even 100 citizens. Instead, there's just way too much empty space, I'm afraid. It's also a pity there's no info on the citizens and their stories after you finish the game. Now I feel it doesn't really matter at all whether I helped someone or not and what decisions I made.

Still, my main impression is that this is precisely the kind of game we need. Practically everything needs to be tweaked but more of this please.

frajaq

Erudite
So about Nurse Dorothy Crane...

Why the fuck me mesmerizing her to stop blackmailing the vampire chick made HER turn into a scary ass vampire out of nowhere? What the hell did I miss

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Crane

she got mindfucked and careless. Gets infected. Reid's still new at this mindwipe business. Seems stupid .

It is really bad design/writing, really.

If you read the notes on Ekons in your office, you will find out that mesmerizing people damages their brain. Makes sense.

BUT!

Basically, the game is fucking awful at communicating that you are going to mesmerize her at that point. The dialogue option is blue, just like hint options, and it has a tag that says [CHARM] (you know, not mesmerize) so naturally I assumed that I was going to use information I gathered about her to sleazily turn the tables on her - we can just as easily blackmail her now that we have learned of her commie connections and illegal clinic, after all. But no, sudden mindfucking ensues, and the autosave ensures that you are stuck with the action the shitty writers dropped on you.

And this is the first fucking time an option to mesmerize someone in dialogue comes up IIRC. So stupid.

For the record I am mostly enjoying the game so far, it exceeded my expectations since I found LiS to be some of the most unbearable garbage ever, but there are many moments like that which suffer from either consolization (dialogue wheel, mouse acceleration) or foreign/AA nature of the game (horrible grammar/sentence structure in subtitles and pretty damn unconvincing writing at times, though to be fair latter is carried by some of the best voice acting/delivery I've heard in a while.)

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm still in the first night and lvl 3 (before sleeping in hospital), but I can apparently freely explore the whole city, ran into some lvl 16 mobs already.

Should I do as much as I can now or can I safely rest?

Worried coz I found a citizen in danger, was implied he'd die if I couldn't clear his enemies this night, thankfully they were lvl 11 so I could do it, but if I run into a higher level area I could fuck myself properly because of the autosave system, right?

I rested maybe fifteen times at most. More likely ten.

You can't really screw up, just play till you have thousands of XP to spend and/or feel overwhelmed by the enemies. Citizens in danger are a very rare occurrence so don't worry too much about that.

The way this save system works is that if you get killed by a boss you respawn five steps before the fight starts (and you don't have to rewatch the cinematic which is a major plus, by the way) so you can pretty much always go back to take a nap, upgrade your weapons or make more serums and then come back for another try.

I feel like the real lure of feeding is not so much the power of your enemies but rather their sheer numbers. There are chapters when the streets are flooded with various factions at war with each other – and they respawn. At such times it's quite tempting to go kill a citizen or two so you can easily slide through all those endless hordes of vampires and hunters instead of trying to avoid them.

Parabalus

Arcane
Where is the key to the trunk in the morgue (the one next to the body you autopsy)?
There's also a locked door on the upper floor, did I miss that key too?

Jokzore

Arbiter
The city does feel a bit empty to me, but you have to take into account that 1) its the middle of the night when everyone is supposed to be asleep 2) it's a dangerous place plagued with violence in the first place 3) there's an epidemic going on, so a lot of people probably evacuated the place.

What feels really off/odd to me isn't underpopulation its overpopulation, the number of blood sucking, flesh devouring, evil monstrosities is through the roof, every 2 steps you're bumping into a fresh spawn of baddies and somehow people don't notice they have a vampirism problem.

Jokzore

Arbiter

If you read the notes on Ekons in your office, you will find out that mesmerizing people damages their brain. Makes sense.

BUT!

Basically, the game is fucking awful at communicating that you are going to mesmerize her at that point. The dialogue option is blue, just like hint options, and it has a tag that says [CHARM] (you know, not mesmerize) so naturally I assumed that I was going to use information I gathered about her to sleazily turn the tables on her - we can just as easily blackmail her now that we have learned of her commie connections and illegal clinic, after all. But no, sudden mindfucking ensues, and the autosave ensures that you are stuck with the action the shitty writers dropped on you.

And this is the first fucking time an option to mesmerize someone in dialogue comes up IIRC. So stupid.

For the record I am mostly enjoying the game so far, it exceeded my expectations since I found LiS to be some of the most unbearable garbage ever, but there are many moments like that which suffer from either consolization (dialogue wheel, mouse acceleration) or foreign/AA nature of the game (horrible grammar/sentence structure in subtitles and pretty damn unconvincing writing at times, though to be fair latter is carried by some of the best voice acting/delivery I've heard in a while.)

You're forced to mesmerize Clay at the very beginning of the game. Yet he turned out fine. There's some severe lack of consistency here.

I'm perfectly aware of all those things but I'd much rather look for excuses to overpopulate the city than to underpopulate it.

Also, keep in mind that not all citizens are – nor do they have to be – on the streets. There are doors you can knock on and I see nothing wrong with having more of them.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

BUT!

c8a.jpeg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

BUT!

You're forced to mesmerize Clay at the very beginning of the game. Yet he turned out fine. There's some severe lack of consistency here.
That is true,i had to mesmerize the nigger at the hospital like 5 times and he was fine.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the end, these NPC's "hints" are simply flavor texts about their backstory with very little payoff. Even with side quests, I'm struggle to see the point of this hint mechanic since the game seems like it wants player to play as a good samaritan (for a good reason), but by not killing anyone, you don't really get any cool stuff that changes the world's status and NPC's attitude towards you. Discovering all hints for a single NPC and I feel like I just learned a bunch of fun facts about them instead of finding something really meaningful narratively. Giving medicine apparently just clean the district and gives a small amount of XP, NPC's attitude towards you doesn't change or nothing interesting unlocked.

I think the dev focused too hard on making a game with no narrative fail state and abandoned context's quality entirely. At the end this mechanic feels really disjointed with how the gameplay loop outside of combat was designed. Still, since this is their first attempt at making an RPG with intricate world state that can be affected by player's action, there's still enough room to improve and polish in the next games.

Jokzore

Arbiter
The worst part of the game is definitely level design, and it only gets worse the deeper into the game you go. It's bad enough you have to navigate the nonsensical maze of a level the first time you go through it, but then you have to go through it every time you level up because people keep getting sick. The enemies scale too, beyond your level, just to make the task of delivering cold medicine all the more annoying.

I want to strangle their level designer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom