Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Xeon

Augur
People getting sick because of the shitty water they drink, in chapter 4 I found clean water or something and it was for the plant in the hospital, what the hell do people drink then for clean water being really rare.

Xeon

Augur
On Steam someone said there is an ingame cheat the devs forgot to turn off, I tested it and it works. You just press P while you are on the level up screen and Exp will increase.

Backup the save tho, the saves are in the "AppData\Local\AVGame\Saved".

The weapon damage seems to increase as well, the people who were getting killed in 3-5 attacks with a Lv5 weapon and Lv18 character, now are getting one shotted at Lv50 character. Lv50 seems to be the max level. Its kinda fun having different attacks to fool around with is pretty fun but the one shot of almost everything is kinda taking away the appeal.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
will this run at all on my shitty old geforce gtx 670?
It runs at 60 fps on high on my gtx580 :smug:. The game runs really well,i was surprised by it.
Wow, thats really encouraging. I wasn't expecting to hear that. I saw minimum recommended specs listed a gtx 660 so I figured I would be struggling barely being above minimum. Ok I will give it a try then. Thanks!

Jokzore

Arbiter
I just asked a young lady in this game why does she desire to become a vampire.

Her answer
''It's the immortal aspect of vampires that interests me, the world wont improve unless women take charge.''
How does she go from immortality to feminism in a single sentence with only a comma separating them.

ps Has anyone kept count of all of the suffragette/ og feminist name drops this game seems to love?

Parabalus

Arcane
The combat in the game reminds me of Witcher 1.

Played up to Ch3, seems fun so far.

Durian Eater

Learned
As far as I can tell, the only C&C in this game comes from who you decide to kill (or spare). The hint system is constructed to make it seem as if you're working towards resolving all the little subplots the characters have, but it doesn't seem like they go anywhere. Unless you plan on killing a character and want to maximize XP--which isn't strictly necessary, because the combat is so easy--there's no reason to collect hints unless you like the writing, which isn't very good. All of the elements are here for a decent Witcher-style narrative ARPG, but then they leave out the interesting sidequests for some reason.

Xeon

Augur
How do you get the first hint for Swansea? the one on the left.

I am in Ch5 and had the decision about him, I turned him since he is a pillar and a friend but I got one hint and one failed.

Edit:
Yeah, nevermind. I used a previous save and will let him die instead.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
What's the point of no return ? I'm currently on a mission to
visit the dawson manor

The point of no return is the final boss, since you have some more walking and talking to do afterwards. You'll know it when you see it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
ELEX looks retarded compared to this.

Followed by:

This is really important for a storyfag like myself.

I'm an old retard

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. Elex be praised!

Nice misquoting.

In many articles Vampyr was described as an "narrative-driven action-RPG" and the game partially delivers on the narrative front.

ELEX's overall story is border-line incoherent. And technically it is garbage and it can dream for Vampyr's animations. You have to be delusional to claim otherwise.

That being said: if I had to choose between Vampyr and Elex, I would choose Elex just because the RPG mechanics are better.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, I'm playing the Jack Sparrow version right now, I like vampires and games about vampires are really rare but don't trust the hipster developers, Life is Strange was just plain awful, if this manages to convince me about its quality, I will buy it.

The first impressions are interesting, I finished Act 1 AKA, the tutorial, but I can say already, there are things I like very much and there are things I'm not so sure about. First thing I liked was the introduction of the game, the people that made the story actually were careful into nicely introducing the game and easing you on the protagonist shoes, instead of going on random incoherent directions and confusing the hell of the player( Hummm... hummm... Obsidian, I'm looking at you) , they actually try to setup a decent motivation for the protagonist, the introduction set up some basics and explain quite well the situation and introduce why you end up on Penbroke hospital on a nice way. This easing on the protagonist shoes is so important and most games just plain ignore it, opting many times to exploding on sheer and utter retardation right on the first scene like on Dishonored 2 for example.

I always like when I see a story and I imagine myself on the shoes of the protagonist, the protagonist actions and situations make sense so far and while this seems kinda obvious, common sense is a rarity on video game writers as anyone that played recent RPGs can attest.

While, yes, you can accuse the developer of doing every vampire cliche ever, but this sort of stuff can be said for most videogames ever. They start with the character confused, slowly learning the situation and chasing his maker and fighting vampire hunters, some nice old school touch is the fact that crucifixes actually have an effect on the vampires of the game. I wouldnt say I'm blown away by sheer brilliance but the game is competent enough so far. I didn't see any mindblowing retardation so far while I can say that I saw more interesting openings on a game like Bloodlines for example.

I dunno, if I were to criticize, so far, dunno if it is just an impression but the dialogue and voice acting don't reach a level of sheer entertainment as a Bloodlines did, it isn't bad, it is serviceable, what is quite an achievement for a videogame, it is just pretty blunt and to the point without much in terms of style and mannerisms for each character, it could be just a starting impression and later they develop more.

Another thing I didn't like was the killing of the protagonist sister on the beginning of the game seemed a bit overdramatic, I hope the game tries to develop more of this or it will be just silly that you kill your own sister then forget all about it later, they could have done without it if this is the case.

It isn't perfect in terms of storyfaggness but it is quite good enough, so far, what worries me is the gameplay.

I'm in two minds about it , there are some characters that place their trust entirely on you and I already see how it would be entertaining to betray them and kill them all on a pure evil playthrough after my samaritan playthrough, saving the districts and causing pure mayhem and evil, I just hope it isn't smoke and mirrors, that would ruin the whole potential of the game. I liked how to become stronger, you need kill the main characters, it is certainly a forced mechanic that could be explained better (I hope so) but I like how the game punishes you for being a good guy, it is rare to see a game really doing this, Arkane for example, kinda chickened out on this for their games.

The problem is the combat, it feels floaty, janky, lacks impact, the abilities trees don't look like something interesting or deep (at least the lack of XP on a samaritan playthrough may make this more interesting), there are no true RPG skills to invest so, in terms of gameplay, all playthroughs will be pretty similar with the exception of the choices. It is like Witcher 3 and Dishonored had a baby and I didn't like the gameplay of both games. It is the "It is like Dark Souls but it isn't" kind of combat that is the fashion of popamole games nowdays, all flashy, zero substance, this will feel boring with time, 100% chance.

Plan to developing the invisibility skill and just avoid most combat as it doesn't give XP (another good decision on the context of this game).

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
I just finished the game and I'm completely lost. The last half hour are just complete nonsense, I have soo many questions.

Why did i need an antidote?
Is it the same one William gave to Elizabeth?
If it is, why did she say it was his blood, blood of an older vampire?
If it is, why didn't he just make two of them?
If he's a monster craving blood, how did he have enough sense to agree to be locked in a castle?
If he didn't feed in centuries how did he escape the Great Hunt?
If Arthur was a vampire (of same lineage as Dr. Reid), why didn't Geoffrey turn into one after drinking his blood? Reid sired his sister by accident.
WHO ARE THE BAKERS TWINS WAITING FOR?!?
Whats the deal with the Primate?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just finished the game and I'm completely lost. The last half hour are just complete nonsense, I have soo many questions.

Answer: To be able to fight the Disaster otherwise you would have been infected. The story is fucked up but you can see that he is applying the antidote to himself before fighting Harriet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04WOjDhgz2s

Answer: The same formula but with different ingredients. Blood of King Arthur + garlic + pure vampire ancient blood instead of King Arthur's blood + Insulin + William's blood.

Answer: William blood's was infected with the Red Queen's anger when he fought the 1st Disaster. However William Marshal's blood from Ascalon was pure. I think there was some ceremony to purify it.

Answer: Plot hole!? If he made two potions then Vampyr would have no story.

If he's a monster craving blood, how did he have enough sense to agree to be locked in a castle?
Answer: Another plot hole. It seems that he had the strength to control his hunger ... but only after he bit Elisabeth.

Answer: He was not in England at that time.

If Arthur was a vampire (of same lineage as Dr. Reid), why didn't Geoffrey turn into one after drinking his blood? Reid sired his sister by accident.
Answer: Geoffrey was drinking the blood of King's Arthur not of William.

Answer: No idea. Probably a vampire or the quest is unfinished.

Possible answer: http://gameranx.com/features/id/152...-the-temple-church-puzzle-bloody-roots-guide/

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
By the way: the game has level scaling.

I drained as few people as possible and the last boss was like level 35.

But there are reports of level 50+ for players who killed almost everyone.

Jokzore

Arbiter

Answer: To be able to fight the Disaster otherwise you would have been infected. The story is fucked up but you can see that he is applying the antidote to himself before fighting Harriet.

Answer: The same formula but with different ingredients. Blood of King Arthur + garlic + pure vampire ancient blood instead of King Arthur's blood + Insulin + William's blood.

Answer: William blood's was infected with the Red Queen's anger when he fought the 1st Disaster. However William Marshal's blood from Ascalon was pure. I think there was some ceremony to purify it.

Answer: Another plot hole. It seems that he had the strength to face his hunger.

Possible answer: http://gameranx.com/features/id/152...-the-temple-church-puzzle-bloody-roots-guide/

<3 There's still some things unclear though.

In the last conversation with Merlin he says he chose Arthur to save England (he failed), this makes Arthur a vampire of ancient lineage.
In the same conversation he mentions Edgar is planning to become the new Primate, but it won't end well for him because he's unaware of what hes facing. It's been heavily implied, even before this, that the current Primate is not human.

I feel like such a storyfag.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Answer: Another plot hole. It seems that he had the strength to face his hunger.

<3 There's still some things unclear though.

In the last conversation with Merlin he says he chose Arthur to save England (he failed), this makes Arthur a vampire of ancient lineage.
In the same conversation he mentions Edgar is planning to become the new Primate, but it won't end well for him because he's unaware of what hes facing. It's been heavily implied, even before this, that the current Primate is not human.

I feel like such a storyfag.

To be honest, no idea. I agree with you that the last part of the story was retarded: William or Elisabeth should have become Disasters themselves.

And it seem I was wrong: William used the tears of King Richard and the pure blood of the valiant Boadicea. Which means that the ingredients used by Reid make no sense except literally.

Fuck man, you are ruining the game for me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a shame that William was the best character of the game. He actually felt like a vampire from Bloodlines.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So i have a question? Is there any point to the hint system for npc minus the extra xp you get by killing them?
Cause it seems you unlock all the hints for some characters and then nothing.Are there any extra quests or something?

Jokzore

Arbiter
So i have a question? Is there any point to the hint system for npc minus the extra xp you get by killing them?
Cause it seems you unlock all the hints for some characters and then nothing.Are there any extra quests or something?

Yes, for the 4 pillars it unlocks hidden dialogue choices when you make your big decision at the end of a chapter. For the rest of em, it's just exp.

Also, I can't confirm this but I've heard claims that killing certain NPCs helps improve their districts state, in which case hints can help you decide.

Example:
Seymour at the docks is an irredeemable serial killer, if you off him his mother doesn't mourn all that much and she adopts the orphan Rufus. I've no idea if it actually helped with my Docks situation but I liked dispensing justice.

There's a very simple explanation for all of your dilemmas, Jokzore and Toro.

keep-calm-and-vote-brexit.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, the combat... man, it is just boring. There isn't much depth to it but it is present on absurd quantities, enemies respawn too, it feels like a slog because they are all trash mobs. I defeated a level 18 furious skal, I defeated a werewolf boss thing, the problem is that I was at level 4, all the powers you unlock are optional, they just make the slog run faster, if you have an weapon appropriate for you level (and this isn't even the case many times), spam dodge and you are immortal.

I HATE this stuff, I know I will win eventually by attrition by just spamming spacebar. Enemies can be HP bullet sponges too. If at least there were some gore to it, making enemies explode or ripping them apart to make the slog less tedious but nope, when you kill the enemies, they just fall down like a sack of potatoes, underwhelming is a understatement.

They should have toned down the combat encounters to very few enemies here and there to make this more tolerable and not fighting fucking skal and vampire hunters at each corner.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom