Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The guy who invented the invulnerable dodge space bar idiom should be locked in a room and left to die of dehydration. (I'd say he should be beat to death but obviously that would be impossible.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
The guy who invented the invulnerable dodge space bar idiom should be locked in a room and left to die of dehydration. (I'd say he should be beat to death but obviously that would be impossible.)
I would send the invulnerable space bar to the same grave of the QTE combat designer.

jungl

Augur
game lasts way too long almost beat it but I can say without a doubt it sucks. All fucking rpgs that come out of france and germany are the exact same thing. Technomancer, of orcs and men, elex etc. Run around uninspired maps and beat up mob after mob in a shitty combat system. Out of all these type of game I probably enjoyed deminocon and of orcs and men the most.

I rather see a vampire game done isometric style similiar to underrail. In fact stygs should just make sequel to underrail and toss in vampires. Plot could be something similar to Owari no seraph anime.

flyingjohn

Arcane
game lasts way too long almost beat it but I can say without a doubt it sucks. All fucking rpgs that come out of france and germany are the exact same thing. Technomancer, of orcs and men, elex etc. Run around uninspired maps and beat up mob after mob in a shitty combat system. Out of all these type of game I probably enjoyed deminocon and of orcs and men the most.

I rather see a vampire game done isometric style similiar to underrail. In fact stygs should just make sequel to underrail and toss in vampires. Plot could be something similar to Owari no seraph anime.
This is the confusing part about euro trash action games masquerading as rpgs.They are mostly combat focused action adventure games with bad combat.
I mean they have one job and they fuck it up.
If i wanna play a bad clone of the souls combat i will play a souls game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
3PzBHkW.jpg

jungl

Augur
A Serb making a vampire game inspired by anime sounds like a Japanese making a samurai game inspired by Beverly Hills Ninja.

Not really. A distant underrail location where the surface was not nuked but wiped by a virus due to vampires activating their doomsday weapon before the humans. Both vamp and surviving human factions are shady evil and want to ultimately spread out and dominate the remaining underrail world. Player could be a oculus agent sent to explore this place.

Wesp5

Arcane
This is the confusing part about euro trash action games masquerading as rpgs.They are mostly combat focused action adventure games with bad combat.

I'm a bit confused now. In what I have seen of Vampyr combat looks bad because it's very different from what I am used in Bloodlines or other FPS/TPS games. But some people here claim it's very hard while others claim you can dodge spam to beat each encounter without problems! So what is it? Or do you need to find this dodge trick otherwise it's hopeless?

flyingjohn

Arcane

I'm a bit confused now. In what I have seen of Vampyr combat looks bad because it's very different from what I am used in Bloodlines or other FPS/TPS games. But some people here claim it's very hard while others claim you can dodge spam to beat each encounter without problems! So what is it? Or do you need to find this dodge trick otherwise it's hopeless?
It is nothing like bloodlines.It is blood borne lite with floaty animations and unsatisfying weapon feel.Basically all you have to do is dodge and dodge you will considering how easy it is to exploit "dodge,hit,get blood from weapon,hit or heal blood ability,rinse and repeat".
And leveling up doesn't help you since enemies scale every time you level up,so that is the source of them dealing bid damage,but the almighty dodge takes care of that.I am able to take on enemies 10 and more levels above me thanks to it.
Stealth is irrelevant in this game unlike bloodlines where it was a somewhat viable choice.

Jokzore

Arbiter
You can spam dodge and survive a long time(indefinitely) in a fight, the same way you can in any Dark Souls game, it doesn't help you with your boss problem though, does it . It just makes the fight incredibly long and tedious. People who complain about this are just plain retarded, how about you play the game properly and then you wont take 30 minutes to kill Mary.

As for level scaling, enemies scale to a level appropriate for the point in the story you're in, this is to prevent you from never sleeping and never facing consequences of advancing a night. If you don't rest and insist on fighting enemies 10 levels above you I can guarantee you'll have a terrible time since not only do enemies hp and damage increase but also their damage absorption.

The best way to handle leveling/combat is to level up when you see the enemies leveled up.

In short just play the game the way it was meant to be played and you'll have no problem with the combat or if you do insist on doing this games equivalent of SL1 DS run, at least have the common decency not to be a spastic fuck and complain about how enemies are too spongie for your underleveled ass.

flyingjohn

Arcane
You can spam dodge and survive a long time(indefinitely) in a fight, the same way you can in any Dark Souls game, it doesn't help you with your boss problem though, does it . It just makes the fight incredibly long and tedious. People who complain about this are just plain retarded, how about you play the game properly and then you wont take 30 minutes to kill Mary.

As for level scaling, enemies scale to a level appropriate for the point in the story you're in, this is to prevent you from never sleeping and never facing consequences of advancing a night. If you don't rest and insist on fighting enemies 10 levels above you I can guarantee you'll have a terrible time since not only do enemies hp and damage increase but also their damage absorption.

The best way to handle leveling/combat is to level up when you see the enemies leveled up.
It takes less 10 minutes because damage is tied to weapons and not level.And you will need to dodge regardless of your level.Plus the game scales enemy levels in areas you have yet to visit compared to your level,so leveling will do jack shit.

Jokzore

Arbiter
1) I assure you, you will hit lower/same level enemies a lot harder than you hit higher level enemies, regardless of your weapon.

2) There's a difference between dodging when you need to and spamming the dodge button for 15 minutes doing nothing.

3) At the beginning of the game there are areas that are 10 levels above you which is easily the most infuriating thing about the game for me personally. However it's something that I've made peace with some time ago. This is why I don't throw shade at DS3 for letting me enter Lothric castle at SL10 and then proceeding to rape me mercilessly.

edit: 4) I said level up when you see the enemies are higher level than you. You enter a new area, you see enemies are higher level, go sleep, come back and they wont be damage sponges. You should have plenty EXP to do this throughout the entire game without embracing so much as a single citizen.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
It takes less 10 minutes because damage is tied to weapons and not level.And you will need to dodge regardless of your level.

Does this mean I would need about 10 minutes to kill a boss using dodge spamming and other repetetive techniques? Never played DS...

Jokzore

Arbiter
Dodging requires stamina, hitting requires stamina, dodge spamming is going to rape your stamina bar and leave you incapable of doing proper damage to the boss. So no, dodge spamming wont get you anywhere in this game. That is unless you plan to cheese every encounter by waiting for your cooldowns to reset, in which case you're in for a very long and very tedious experience.

This isn't a game that lets you do your own thing, it doesn't give you the freedom to approach it in whatever way you see fit. You have to play it the way it was intended or you'll have a bad time.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well there are multiple ways to approach combat, considering the following options are given to you:
1. Rather strong shotgun available for 315 shillings at the first hub. Packs a punch, if you upgrade ammo pouch you can unload a decent chunk of damage on bosses. Upgrade it and unload reliable ranged damage on boss fights. Ammo is limited, so not always the best option.
2. Go heavy on Blood attacks, Spear is excellent ranged damage, Shadow is also perfect on charging opponents. Then craft the blood elixirs for quick fills in combat. Spam liberally and use Stamina bar exclusively for dodging or the occasional attacks with your weapon that steals blood upon striking (upgraded scythe, off-hand knives). This is really effective at low level. It gets more expensive to level up at high level but I recommend the Shadow spell, it's just a great offensive tool and exploits over-aggressive enemies and bosses.
3. Go heavy on HP & stamina bar and upgrade your free 'blood' skills like the Stun (perfect to wait for stamina) and Blood Shield (Witcher's Quen basically) while using the Stealth-Blood skill that hides you to avoid trash combat or enjoy high damage multiplier when you attack from stealth at high-level(just like VTMB's Obfuscate)

There's multiple ways to approach this, and it only gets less and less interesting at late game when you start dropping high power attacks. And remember - you only have 4 regular active skill slots and 1 Ultimate at all times. So those are your 'builds' limited by loadouts. You can also respec for a small cost.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Behold - a rare strain of autism has appeared! :)

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have to agree with Jokzore. Having finished it my short review:

The ending is confusing in a way of too much mystery.
Combat is aspiring to be souls but not nearly as good, but its kind of good enough.
Map design is basically circles with locks that unlock as you progress through the story. Unnecessarily annoying.
The game felt too linear for what it aspires to be.
Overall feels a bit rushed.

However having said that I did enjoy the game and actually finished it.
Music is great.
Voice acting is pretty good. Writing is pretty good. Story is decent until the last hour where it stops making any sense, but I think it was by design.
Zero bugs encountered.

Basically its good enough to play but not great. (Unlike poe which is just shit all around).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom