Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Novelty games that are specifically made to create social media buzz have better sales than a hardcore RPG that requires you put hours upon hours of effort into playing? Are you one of those people that also complains Beyonce is more popular than "insert local punk band"?
I can understand why Crisis, Mass Effect, Fallout are way more popular. But that shit? 2 000 000+ for goat simulator?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it is cheap and fun to play around with for some few hours, then put it away.
As soon as games enter the region < 10$, the threshold to buy them just becomes a lot lower, even if people do not expect a great game.

Heck, I spend 13€ to be amused in the cinema for ~2 hours, why not spend half of it for probably the same amount of amusement time?
Certainly cheaper than hookers.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Okay, I got the point about pricing.

But another thing - are we, the ones who played and loved original Fallouts, PS:T, Arcanum etc in late 90s-early 00s - the core audience of AoD - so few? Only 33 000 people?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New ones growing up, of course.
I met a few people in lectures that are as disappointed in "major gaming" as we are and look to games with more in-depth mechanics and more challenge.

I don't think this will ever stop, it will just never be the main gaming audience again.

SniperHF

Arcane

But another thing - are we, the ones who played and loved original Fallouts, PS:T, Arcanum etc in late 90s-early 00s - the core audience of AoD - so few? Only 33 000 people?

More or less.

Obviously edges more mainstream than AoD but so were those games you mentioned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
StaticSpine It's the number of people who own WL2 & PoE & D:OS, not WL2 + PoE + D:OS.

But it's worth noting that number might be larger by now, since PoE, the most recent game in that trio, has since been on several sales.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

The core audience of AOD is not the same as the people who played Fallout, PS:T, and Arcanum and loved them. It's a lot less. Because the games aren't really similar at all.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

The core audience of AOD is not the same as the people who played Fallout, PS:T, and Arcanum and loved them. It's a lot less. Because the games aren't really similar at all.
Of course AoD is not a copycat of any of those games, but the target audience is the same, no?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Of course AoD is not a copycat of any of those games, but the target audience is the same, no?

Of course not, those games were main stream rpg back then. You need to compare AoD to obscure games from previous eras.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

There's significant differences. Many here, for instance, were expecting AOD to essentially be Fallout in a Roman setting, and were disappointed to find out that wasn't the case (when the first demo was released). It's unlike any other rpg that's been released.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

The game is also heavily influenced by Prelude to Darkness, which punish cRPG players for their irrational habits. Who played this game? Maybe a dozen inside the Codex, if that. I would bet that it was also influenced by RoA2 and Gothic 2, who also punish players for retard assumptions, and are obscure games. If you consider that the game also removes other common conventions, such as unnecessary walking and fed-ex quests, we have to conclude that the target audience was zero.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Many here, for instance, were expecting AOD to essentially be Fallout in a Roman setting, and were disappointed to find out that wasn't the case (when the first demo was released). It's unlike any other rpg that's been released.

Yeah, wishful thinking. They are desperate to play another isometric Fallout.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But it is really obscure, at least if compared to Fallout or PS:T. How many outside the Codex know about this name? Even Arcanum is obscure, Bubbles.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Negus please, Gothic 2 obscure? It's about as obscure as Morrowind.

But maybe it's a different case in the kwa or whatever silly backwater you come from.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
But it is really obscure, at least if compared to Fallout or PS:T. How many outside the Codex know about this name? Even Arcanum is obscure, Bubbles.

u0SKejF.png

And it only came to Steam 8 years after release.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Negus please, Gothic 2 obscure? It's about as obscure as Morrowind.

But maybe it's a different case in the kwa or whatever silly backwater you come from.
Both Gothic 1 and 2 were barely mentioned by the US media and never had any real shelf space in stores. I think I've first heard about Gothic 1 on the Codex.

Mustawd

I've only heard of gothic from my college roommate who introduced me to the series and in the codex. Otherwise...heard zilch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom