Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Vault Dweller Does Dragon Age II

Achilles

Arcane
Shannow said:
The codex has no hive mind. The codex agrees on very little. Taking opposing positions from different posters and crying "hypocrisy!" is utterly moronic. Get it into your fucking, thick head, fucktard.

But...but I was replying to a specific post and I gave actual names of specific posts/posters. I didn't say anything about the codex in general. Why are you so mean to me? :cry:

Doesn't matter though, I still like you :love:

Pegultagol

Erudite
Volourn said:
"I haven't played DA1 but I am quite sure that the original did not have the stupid cooldowns on skills and item usage."

This sums up the anti DA2- DA1 is better bigrade to a tee.

What a fukkin' idiot.

If you don't know what youa re talking about I would say STFU but this is the internet so please keep spamming your ignorance.

It's amusing.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.
Cooldowns still suck, though.

DraQ

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Was having a bit of fun quoting from KOTOR reviews. The ones about the pinnacle of TB greatness and the story being the best of the century are my favourite, although pretty much everything that people were writing about the game is fucking awesome. Pure poetry.

"This is where KOTOR shines. The turn based combat is like no other and is done in real time."
:retarded:

"So all in all KOTOR's gameplay is incredible, if you like rpg's at all, you will love KOTOR. But don't expect to be able to fire your rifle at will, because combat is TURN BASED. Some of the pictures and screen shots you see may mislead you into thinking that that the combat is fully interactive like Dark Cloud, or Sudeki, but it's actually turn based like Final Fantasy."

"KOTOR utilizes a D&D twenty-sided-die rule-set for its extravagant, turned based battles. It's a bit confining at first, but once you get accustomed to the nature of the battle system, it becomes intuitive, thus providing a strategic battle each and every time. The options allow you to make it more real-time and some of the later boss battles rival most straight-up action games on the market. "

"The battle system of KotOR is a mix of real time combat and turn based attacks."

"Judging from screenshots, the combat seems to be action-based, much like the Jedi Knight series. However, it's actually the turn-based Dungeons & Dragons based combat."

"When I first heard that the battle-system of KoToR would be turn-based I started to spontaneously throw up. I am absolutely no lover of this concept but in this game it luckily has been worked out very well."

"The combat isn't real-time, although it may appear to be..."

"It's especially genius the way Bioware have blended the turn based combat with real time!"

"The game is a RPG similar to the likes of Morrowind, in that you direct your character from a third person perspective, but with a striking difference, the combat is turn based. All the combat is based on Dungeons and Dragons style rules, familiar with Bioware's other RPG titles, which have things like saving throws, attacks, and other factors all done using multisided dice and figures.

Now before you run away screaming, thinking this sounds really dull, boring, and extremely nerdish, please stop and listen: it actually works extremely well. For starters, despite technically being turn based, actions are played out in real time and all the dice rolling and character stats for combat are worked out in the background away from your eyes."

"The combat itself is turn-based, yet done so fluidly that it feels like real-time"

"When you're exploring, everything is real-time but once you jump into combat KOTOR shifts to turn-based action. While turned-based combat may seem weird considering all the Star Wars action games that have been released, it works."

"It's all turn-based and all the results are determined by the roll of unseen dice combined with modifiers based on your stats, skills, and any items or equipment you have equipped. The combat will actually play itself out if you leave it alone but by fine-tuning the combat you can be a devastating force of nature."

"Battling in the game adds a new kind of genre to the overly developing RPG style and will hopefully be seen in later games. "

"So much is streamlined that the game, essentially turn-based, has a real-time feel that draws you into the combat, without making you feel like you've given up one ounce of control."

That's only from the first 4 pages of the reviews in the Codex archive. Good times.

PS. The game is shit, but comparing to DA2 it's a fucking masterpiece of epic proportions.

This reminds me - does anyone else think that mozambique drill is about the only proper way to process all the subliterate journos using term "turn based" without actually understanding what the fuck does it means?

:x

"Turn based"? Moar liek "turd based".
:retarded:

Earendil

Novice
VD mentioned in the review that looking forward to the next level up, is one of the 3 main elements of action RPGs.

Can someone explain what are the other two?

Thanks. Much appreciated

Earendil said:
VD mentioned in the review that looking forward to the next level up, is one of the 3 main elements of action RPGs.

Can someone explain what are the other two?

Thanks. Much appreciated

With DA2, looking forward to quitting the game was definitely one of the three. VD demonstrated this point quite well.

turul

Augur
Going with the notion, that the game is not entirely broken, so it's playable, and it's more like a poorly written interactive soap opera, there is no way in hell (or heaven) I'd ever pay 60 dollars for it. I'll may consider it when it's about 20 bucks (max price), or given away free with another game, but I would be completely fucking insane to pay 60 dollars for an interactive soap opera, written by amateur soap opera directors.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
turul said:
or given away free with another game
Well it is being given away free with ME2... though Bioware/EA may try to convince you it's the opposite.

turul

Augur
Sceptic said:
turul said:
or given away free with another game
Well it is being given away free with ME2... though Bioware/EA may try to convince you it's the opposite.

I already have ME 2. If it's given away free with ME3, then maybe then I'll consider it, although I'm not sure if it's gonna be worth of the bandwith via Steam, the game is around 8 gigs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
By the time the deal with ME2 was amde, DA2 ahd alreayd sold a million+ in less than 2 weeks.

I REALLY love how people are trying their best to deem DA2 a financial failure just ebcause they dislike it and lamely used out of contest bullshit to 'prove' it. L0L BIO expected DA2 to sell 10mil copies. STFU n00bs.

Severian Silk

In some of Jack Vance's stories, all magic is really the (usually) unseen activity of demons who are bound or persuaded to cooperate with the spellcaster through bargains of various types. This results in some humorous exchanges where said demons are bored and/or reluctant and require additional cajoling in order to do anything.

Volourn said:
By the time the deal with ME2 was amde, DA2 ahd alreayd sold a million+ in less than 2 weeks.

Fuck that 1 million in 2 weeks kiddie stuff, DA2 is such a commercial success it sold over half a million copies before it was even out! Sales over time approaching infinity baby!

Micmu

Magister
Yeah it was such an awesome success it hit the bargain bin in <3 weeks flat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom