Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller Soapbox: How to Survive the Indiepocalypse in 5 Easy Steps

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7211.0.html

How to Survive Indiepocalypse in 5 Easy Steps

In the olden days the gaming industry was like a picturesque green pasture, inviting and peaceful. Set up your shop, make your masterpiece, enjoy life. Easy as pie or so the story goes.

b_112500.jpg

Sadly, over the decades the landscape has changed a bit…

b_120232.jpg

It’s gotten so crowded that some people started thinking that the End has to be nigh for surely God, who sent His only begotten Son to die on the cross to redeem mankind, won’t tolerate this hipster plague much longer and will wipe the slate clean sooner or later. So while we’re waiting for the Grand Finale, I might as well share my thoughts in hope that some people would find it useful.

Step 1 - Design

Your game has to stand out. It has to do at least one thing extremely well, preferably something that hasn’t been done before. Why be an indie game developer if not to try new things, right?

It’s not enough to do a game with tried and true mechanics, because in most cases "tried and true" has been done to death long before you decided to throw your hat into the ring. If all you’re adding to the recipe is new visuals, think twice. Sure, it’s possible that Kim Kardashian might tweet about your game and it becomes the next internet sensation, but Kim’s busy taking selfies, so let’s not rely on dumb luck alone.

Of course, every rule has exceptions. If you’re replicating the tried and true gameplay of something as venerable as Jagged Alliance 2, Wizardry 8, or Shadow of the Horned Rat, go right ahead. If not, don’t bother.

For our first game, we went with Choices & Consequences (C&C) – an "easy" category considering that 99% of games promise meaningful choices but never deliver because it takes a very long time, which is something we’ve learned the hard way after making the game for 11 years. AoD gives you:

• More meaningful choices than you can shake a stick at
  • Parallel questlines showing events from different angles and points of view
  • Radically different "Craft Your Own Story" playthroughs

For our next 'full scale' RPG, we’ll raise C&C up a notch and add party "dynamics", which will be very different from what you’re used to and go against the established design staples, possibly upsetting some folks in the process (again). It’s a very ambitious design, but as I said, doing what’s been done before – even if it was done by you – is not enough. You have to push forward or you will not survive.

Step 2 – Community

Now that you’re working on your game, you have to build a community around it and spread the word. No matter how well-designed your game is it will fail all the same if nobody knows about it. Yes, that too is your job.

Many indie developers look at what the AAA developers do and take notes. They think that if they act like the AAA boys, you know, professional and shit, everyone will assume they are real developers too and take them seriously.

Don’t do semi-official press-releases where you quote yourself. Don’t ask volunteer testers to sign NDAs as if you have the time, money, or desire to enforce them. Don’t write you own EULA on Steam as if Steam’s EULA isn’t good enough for you. Worst of all, don’t guard your stories and design ideas because someone might steal them. Yeah, Bethesda will decide to postpone The Elder Scrolls 6 and steal your shitty totally awesome ideas instead.

You have to sell people on your vision and you can’t do it if all you give them is a brief summary and Todd Howard’s famous “Trust us, it will be cool” line.

We’ve posted everything we had from day one. If we didn’t show something, it’s because we didn’t have it. We’ve "spoiled" every aspect of the game and answered every question about the game on as many forums as we could, giving people reasons to follow the game.

Go out into the world and engage gaming communities. Don’t hide behind moderators or "community managers". People who give a fuck about your game don’t want to be "managed", they want to talk to the guys making the game.

I made over 10,000 posts on multiple forums talking to people who showed interest and had questions. Oscar made over 6,000 posts. That’s not counting posts on Steam since we launched on Early Access and even more posts later after the game was released. If you can’t be arsed to talk to people who’re interested in your game, don’t expect them to support you in the future. Find time or you won’t stay in this business for long.

A word of warning before we get to the next chapter: when mingling with people you might discover that not everyone thinks your game ideas are as great as you think they are. Some people might actually harbor suspicions that your game sucks and be willing and even eager to share these thoughts with everyone they run into. You’d better get used to it because it’s going to happen a lot. ‘tis the magic of the internet.

Step 3 – Making a Game

Surprisingly, this step isn’t really about making a game. If you can’t make one, this handy guide won’t help you. It’s about the "economics" of it. You see, unless you hit it really big for an indie, like Darkest Dungeon-big, you won’t make a lot of money (for a real studio). Thus you must budget and ration like a lost-at-sea sailor to avoid these two fairly typical scenarios, which happen more often than you might think:

• You made a good game, it sold well for an indie but now you’re 100k in debt because the costs spiraled out of control. Basically, you made a good game but you spent more than you should have and now you’re dead in the water.
  • You made a good game, it sold well for an indie, you recovered your initial investment and bought yourself an ice-cream but you have no money to continue and now you must try your luck on Kickstarter where you get not what you need to make a game but what you can get, which is anywhere from 10 to 30% if you’re lucky.

Treat what you earn from the first game as your operational budget for the second game. So the more you spend making your first game, the less you’ll have to make your second game. You see, the first game is always done on pure enthusiasm. You’re making a game, living the dream, working part-time, evenings and nights for years, because sleep is overrated. Enthusiasm is a great and cheap resource but you can’t run on it forever.

The goal here is to survive the indiepocalypse and build a real studio, right? So you make a game on enthusiasm, use what it earned to make a second game, use what it earned to make a third game, etc.

The Age of Decadence sold over 50,000 copies to-date at $22 average. The revenues aren't our reward for 11 years of hard work (that's done and gone) but our budget for the "Colony Ship RPG", our second project.

Step 5 (yes, we’ve just jumped from 3 to 5 because math is a social construct) – Make Another Game

You made your first game and it sold well enough to continue. Congrats! Now you have to do it all over again, but you need to do it better (see Step 1) and faster. In our case it means making the second game in 4-5 years without lowering quality. We’re aiming for 4 years; 5 is acceptable, 6 isn’t. Granted, the main reason AoD took so long is because:

• We had no experience, aka time-consuming trial-and-error approach to game design.
  • We had no tools, no systems (things like combat, dialogues, etc), no engine; literally everything had to be done from scratch.
  • We worked part-time for 10 years (enthusiasm doesn’t pay the bills) and switched to full-time only when the finish line was already in sight

... so there's a good chance that we can make a better game in 4-5 years but it's far from certain.

Anyway, the point is that your first game shows that you have what it takes to make an indie RPG that stands out in a crowd and sells enough to keep you in business. Until you do it again, the first game’s success is nothing but a fluke. You have to perform consistently without any margin for errors because the first mistake might kill you.

A second successful game will secure your future and turn that fellowship of geeks that is your team into a real game development studio. That’s the last hurdle to overcome, which is by no means an easy task.

But wait, there’s more…

Step 4 – Recycle

Even if we manage to make the Colony Ship RPG in 4-5 years AND it will be well received by our existing audience AND it will sell enough to make a third 'full scale' RPG, releasing games once every 4-5 years might not be enough to survive.

I wish we could expand our team right now and hire more people but we can’t, otherwise we risk running out of money and releasing the second game deep in debt (see Step 3). We need a reliable revenue booster, so we’re going to recycle and make an inexpensive tactical, party-based RPG using the first game’s engine, systems, and assets. Such a game is relatively easy to make, since we’re using the already existing building blocks, so the plan is to put it together in under a year and hope that it’s well received.

If it works, the revenues will boost the second game’s budget just as it enters production (we’re working on it now while the Colony Ship RPG is in pre-production), allowing us to get a couple of extra people and spend more money on art.

If it works, we can release a tactical combat game after each 'full scale' RPG and boost the next game’s budget.

Bonus Chapter – What About Marketing?

What about it? Marketing is a game of chance that all but guarantees winning IF you have enough money to stay in the game. There’s a famous saying attributed to John Wanamaker who knew a thing or two about marketing: "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half."

It’s all about effective frequency, which means that you have to have faith and keep throwing money at ads even when they give you no return whatsoever. Harvard thinks that the magic number is nine. Most people have to see your ad nine times before they start responding to it. Thomas Smith thought the magic number is twenty. Krugman was convinced there are three phases: curiosity, recognition, decision, but obviously each phase takes a number of ads.

So what it means is that unless you have enough money to run ads until they start turning profit, don’t do it. You will spend 5k of your hard-earned money, which is the equivalent of a penny in the exciting world of advertising, get nothing and stop advertising, thus wasting the 5k you’ve just spent.

Without a marketing budget, your options are limited: you need the goodwill of the gaming media, which brings us back to Step 1 – design. Unless your game is worth talking about, the media will ignore it. They want to write what people want to read. If nobody wants to hear about your game, well, this brings us to Step 3 – Community: your most effective way of marketing your game and creating that interest that might result in the media gods looking at your creation favorably and blessing your efforts with a preview or a quick impressions article.

Overall, I don't think there was EVER a better time to be a game developer. Sure, the landscape is crowded (12,818 games on sale on Steam right now, which is insane), but the market is HUGE and there's plenty of room for everyone. There are 12 million Steam users - that's paying customers able to buy a game with a single click, and all you need to do well is make a game that would appeal to 0.5% (or 3-5% if you like money a lot) of that ever-growing market. It's easier said than done, of course, but far from impossible.

TigerKnee

Arcane
When will he and Jeff Vogel fight it out?

VD - Avatar of Kibou
Jeff Vogel - Avatar of Zetsubou

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller said:
Worst of all, don’t guard your stories and design ideas because someone might steal them. Yeah, Bethesda will decide to postpone The Elder Scrolls 6 and steal your shitty totally awesome ideas instead.
You're probably right but you might be surprised one day and there will be nothing you can do about it. And it's not just Bethesda or other colossal, Jewish companies that could be "inspired" by your design documents, some indie studio might find your ideas interesting and implement them before you do. Take your other idea for example: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7208.msg145889.html#msg145889

I love the 19th century's Gothic novels like The Manuscript Found in Saragossa or Melmoth the Wanderer. Love the idea of proper magic, witches being dangerous, Lucifer as active player, corrupting souls and commanding agents, the Christian faith being a shield against darkness, which is everywhere, the Spanish Inquisition fighting the good fight, cursed places abandoned for a reason, forbidden knowledge, supernatural creatures, that sort of things. Needless to say it would make a great setting, but how do we get there?

I start with the main character, a monk, perhaps, armed with faith and potent prayers fueled by that faith but full of doubts that can be exploited. Basically, a character development fork: a man of God bringing light into darkness or an occultist who abandoned God's light, trading it for forbidden knowledge. Both character types would communicate with powerful demons - dukes of Hell and such, but in different ways. As you can see, now we're defining the setting, both mechanics and "lore":

- to start with, the demons and most "magic-users" can't be killed, they are far too powerful; you can only bargain, protect yourself, play them against each other, maybe banish from your presence to piss them off even more; thus the focus isn't on demon slaying but surviving in a dangerous world most people are unaware of.
- you use combat (or speech/stealth) against the human minions or human enemies standing in your way, like the Inquisition if you turn to the Dark Side.
- such a setting would be perfect for relics, both Holy and Unholy.
- skills like languages (reading ancient books, communicating with demons, etc) and rituals (from exorcism to summoning), derived stats like Faith and Sanity, etc.
- magic would play a large role: prayers, words in God's own language, signs, magic circles & pentagrams, rituals, spells and incantations. You'd acquire them from archives, NPCs, rituals, etc. Too much "hands-on" Occult knowledge would weaken your Faith and thus the power of your prayers and Holy relics, just like too much Faith would weaken your dark rituals and incantations (i.e. it will be hard to play a hybrid).
Using Lucifer, inquisition and occultists in an RPG setting is a very good idea if only because of coverage such satanic game would get.
I was surprised that even now a game like Age of Decadence has been added to the list of forbidden games on one of the Polish catholic sites due to occultism present in the game: https://gloria.tv/article/8P32ZSaSquHF1cqxQ7jtsPJHZ
I have no idea how such obscure title was spotted, especially since it's hard to find any occultist elements in it. I guess they didn't like summoning "gods" from other planes.
If you would release this game you would get free advertising, similar with Da Vinci code and the like.
It's just waiting to be taken. And even if your implementation of the idea would be much better you would already lose some of the originality and freshness if some of your ideas would already be used.

Also:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/iron-tower-and-obsidian.107863/#post-4459696

Edit:
You have to sell people on your vision and you can’t do it if all you give them is a brief summary and Todd Howard’s famous “Trust us, it will be cool” line.
I see where you're coming from but in the end no site except RPG Codex is willing to publish what you write and you're getting no coverage. Ultimately those who loved AoD will buy (or at least check out) your next game no matter what, they won't need you reminding them about it every month. And those uninterested in AoD won't even notice your game until you will be able to show much more than text (and even then it's unlikely they will be interested). At the time you will have demo available such detailed descriptions will become useful but you could just put them into drawer until that time comes. At the moment nobody cares except your faithful customers.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Worst of all, don’t guard your stories and design ideas because someone might steal them. Yeah, Bethesda will decide to postpone The Elder Scrolls 6 and steal your shitty totally awesome ideas instead.
You're probably right but you might be surprised one day and there will be nothing you can do about it. And it's not just Bethesda or other colossal, Jewish companies that could be "inspired" by your design documents, some indie studio might find your ideas interesting and implement them before you do.
Have you ever played a game like AoD before? I assume the answer is no, but it's not because I'm a fucking visionary. It's because nobody wants to make such games (because there's very little money in it). Let's say someone borrows my 'gothic game' idea. What do you want to bet it's going to be an action RPG where the main hero battles the forces of evil? One might even say that I'm too late because there are three Diablo games.

Same goes for the colony ship RPG. There's that twice-Kickstarted game but it has co-op (absolutely haram!) and it's very actiony in general.

I was surprised that even now a game like Age of Decadence has been added to the list of forbidden games on one of the Polish catholic sites due to occultism present in the game: https://gloria.tv/article/8P32ZSaSquHF1cqxQ7jtsPJHZ
I have no idea how such obscure title was spotted, especially since it's hard to find any occultist elements in it. I guess they didn't like summoning "gods" from other planes.
They will have much to answer for when Cthulhu rises from the depths.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yes, I don't think that stealing ideas is a big problem (in some cases, it might be). Execution is what matters most.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Yes, I don't think that seating ideas is a big problem (in some cases, it might be). Execution is what matters most.
I'd say one of the good ways to get ideas is playing old/obscure games. Sometimes you can find really interesting mechanics that can be expanded and implemented (and then marketed as brand new to attract dumbfucks for additional $$$, heh heh).

VD, I didn't follow the CSG updates much, but have you considered replacing standard healing potions/temporary stat boosts with drugs of all kinds? Honestly, sniffing cocaine to get past a complex fight and face the consequences (e.g. paranoia, lowered stats because of drug craving, etc) would be rather unique compared to 99% of other games with medpacks/health potions/boosters/etc... wait, I think drugs are more suitable in the urban settings, but overall they would give a nice touch to the colony ship-like setting, but I might be stretching a bit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
VD, I didn't follow the CSG updates much, but have you considered replacing standard healing potions/temporary stat boosts with drugs of all kinds? Honestly, sniffing cocaine to get past a complex fight and face the consequences (e.g. paranoia, lowered stats because of drug craving, etc) would be rather unique compared to 99% of other games with medpacks/health potions/boosters/etc... wait, I think drugs are more suitable in the urban settings, but overall they would give a nice touch to the colony ship-like setting, but I might be stretching a bit.
We're planning to have synthetic drugs but I don't think they'd replace medpacks and such.

Mustawd

the main reason AoD took so long is because:

• We had no experience, aka time-consuming trial-and-error approach to game design.
  • We had no tools, no systems (things like combat, dialogues, etc), no engine; literally everything had to be done from scratch.
  • We worked part-time for 10 years (enthusiasm doesn’t pay the bills) and switched to full-time only when the finish line was already in sight

Vault Dweller, I seem to recall you started AoD with a 2D engine. Can you elaborate a bit on...

-What engine were you using?
-Why did you switch to the 3D torque engine?
-Do you have any pics of any art assets from the old engine? I think it'd be interesting to see what you had come up with before scrapping it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the main reason AoD took so long is because:

Vault Dweller, I seem to recall you started AoD with a 2D engine. Can you elaborate a bit on...

-What engine were you using?
-Why did you switch to the 3D torque engine?
-Do you have any pics of any art assets from the old engine? I think it'd be interesting to see what you had come up with before scrapping it.

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/Cu...l Gallery/2005 Screenshots/2005_0000.jpg.html

2005_0000.jpg

Mustawd

Jesus that grass is green.

EDIT: Too bad the rest of the gallery is private. :(

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The goal here is to survive the indiepocalypse and build a real studio, right?

Sadly to say, but I don't think the indiepocalypse aka "the flood of games" will ever go away.
The situation of the mobile gaming illustrates the worst case of that development: even excellent games can't succeed because the consumer will not even hear about its existence.

Fortunately, that worst case hasn't happened to the PC yet due to its democratic open system and a small but vocal group of enlightened and sophisticated gamer. But in the future, being an indie PC game dev means, you'll need to find the niche in the niche whose audience is still willing to pay a fair price for your game against the background of all those summer sales and insane discount rallies. Your game must be unique, demanding and complex/deep. So, it has to be a genre that offers all those characteristics, otherwise you will fail to attract a paying audience (basically you have to go with strategy, role-playing or simulation games).

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Mustawd

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...he-age-of-decadence.97976/page-6#post-3885224
We switched the engine because we ran into problems with the 'homemade' 2D engine. Maybe we could have fixed them, maybe not. It also made a lot of things easier, like animations (as we didn't have to tons of sprites with different weapons/armor/shield-no shield). The old screens do look absolutely awful but it was the very first version put together by me and Nick (the programmer), long before we found Oscar who's responsible for the way the game looks now and many other things, so yeah, you can't compare them.

Mustawd

Thanks Niektory. I thought it was around here somewhere.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Overall, I don't think there was EVER a better time to be a game developer.
What the fuck are you smoking after 10 years?

Before the consolitis cancer spread, a 1000 and 1 clones and derivative shit on the PC managed to find publishers, as well as countless original pieces that are classics today. You know, you could work full time for a real wage on a game with a marketing budget.
And if you wanted to be a unique avantgarde indie dev, please, you could. Your quality shareware title would find the audience. But no one was moron enough to work 10 years part time on a childrens game...

Today is the best time to be a talentless conman. Aspiring to be Minecraft and its ilk.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ah yes, the good ol' days when everything was awesome. Make future classics (while making real wages!) or release your own shareware and it would find its audience because that's how awesome it was back then.

Digital distribution (aka global market), Steam (12 million daily users, over 125 million users overall), affordable tech (Unreal 4 for 5%? 10 years ago it would have cost you over 200k), and high speed internet that makes it easy to download gigabytes of data that opened the doors and made it possible to succeed on a scale that was simply unheard of before.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Ah yes, the good new days when everything is best. Work ten years for free.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You're awfully fixated on our experience, ignoring games like Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Stasis, Battle Brothers, etc - games that would never be possible even 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You're probably right but you might be surprised one day and there will be nothing you can do about it. And it's not just Bethesda or other colossal, Jewish companies that could be "inspired" by your design documents, some indie studio might find your ideas interesting and implement them before you do. Take your other idea for example (...) It's just waiting to be taken. And even if your implementation of the idea would be much better you would already lose some of the originality and freshness if some of your ideas would already be used.

Game designers NEVER STEAL new ideas or concepts because they are too risky. Instead, they copy the new ideas when they become successful, but by that time they are no longer new. Besides, ideas and concepts are not as important as the execution. See Bethesda and Fallout. You need the talent and the sophistication behind a game concept to pull it off. In fact, ideas and concepts are cheap. It is super easy to come up with new ideas and settings for cRPGs. Hell, I bet that every codexer has his own idea of revolutionary dream cRPG. The problem is the execution. If implementing generic rip-off Tolkien settings with bastardized D&D combat system and trash mobs is difficult, imagine implementing something new that tear apart cRPG players bad habits and egocentric mindsets.

Have you ever played a game like AoD before? I assume the answer is no, but it's not because I'm a fucking visionary. It's because nobody wants to make such games (because there's very little money in it).

This.

I see where you're coming from but in the end no site except RPG Codex is willing to publish what you write and you're getting no coverage. Ultimately those who loved AoD will buy (or at least check out) your next game no matter what, they won't need you reminding them about it every month. And those uninterested in AoD won't even notice your game until you will be able to show much more than text (and even then it's unlikely they will be interested). At the time you will have demo available such detailed descriptions will become useful but you could just put them into drawer until that time comes. At the moment nobody cares except your faithful customers.

You are underestimating player’s lack of information and the importance of awareness. You need to get the word out. I find out about AoD on Obsidian’s forum, while others found about it reading the RPS review and others reading posts on RPG Watch. Even on the Codex you will find some recent posts about codexers who are playing the game only now. Every new post about his own game is a new opportunity to find a new player. Thinking otherwise is foolish.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
meryl_jlo_oscars_3208759a.gif

I will repost Sunfire's gif from ITS forum! :D

Infinitron, this text should be posted on the news page. Don't be such a bummer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom