Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

vehicular combat/dogfighting action games

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I want some reccomendations based on the thread title: It can be anything action oriented. Here's the games i have already played with vehicular combat/dogfighting:
  • Interstate 76(didn't played expansion because of crashes, doesn't work on Win 7),
  • STRIKE series(Desert STRIKE, Jungle STRIKE, Urban STRIKE, Soviet STRIKE and Nuclear STRIKE),
  • Freespace 1/2 and some mods,
  • Ace Combat 2,3 and Assault Horizon,
  • Vigilante 8,
  • Twisted Metal 2,
  • Shellshock,
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Gas guzzlers (i guess mario kart based games counts)
  • Top Gun: Fire at Will
Any other game to add to my personal list?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

images

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Interstate 76(didn't played expansion because of crashes, doesn't work on Win 7)
The Nitro Pack expansion worked for me on Win 7. I think I had to use the GOGLauncer.exe in the install directory to launch the game instead of the "Launch Interstate '76 Nitro Pack" shortcut.

There's also a sequel, Interstate '82. It's more arcade-like (removed 76's body armor in favor of a health bar and added lasers), but then again so was Vigilante 8.

Also, are you a bad enough dude to play Deathtrack?

This game actually got a remake by Russian company 1C (which also relaunched King's Bounty).

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Freelancer is another good game about dogfights in space.

As for car combat: I had fun with Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense on Playstation, long ago. It's sort of like Twisted Metal, but with a 70s aesthetic.

:Flash:

Arcane
Crimson Skies
Yager
Tachyon: The Fringe
Mobile Forces
Wacky Wheels
Have a N.I.C.E. day!

DraQ

Arcane
Why such a weird topic?

Normally I'd consider land based vehicular combat games quite distinct from the ones revolving around flying (or swimming :P ) - even though there are some combining both - and sims distinct from more arcade-like ones.

Anyway, deprived of chance to be the first to mention Interstate '76 (which I consider *THE* vehicular combat game) I thought I'd mention Extreme Assault. :P

Freelancer is another good game about dogfights in space.
Shoo.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Forgot to mention Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 1. It seems that HAWX 2 is crap, confirm or deny? Apart from these and Ace Combat :AH and Gas Guzzlers, there is not much other modern examples, at least on PC.

And i did play Carmaggedon on the PSX. Man dat crappy controls, but when it landed on a population of zombies the game feel good...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Forgot to mention Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 1. It seems that HAWX 2 is crap, confirm or deny? Apart from these and Ace Combat :AH and Gas Guzzlers, there is not much other modern examples, at least on PC.

And i did play Carmaggedon on the PSX. Man dat crappy controls, but when it landed on a population of zombies the game feel good...

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Since Desert/Jungle Strike were mentioned so how about:
Future Cop: LAPD

It was suposed to be another game in the "Strike" series

Fire Fight

Product of Potato, I played it long time ago and liked it.

Big robot games:
Armored Core series
Earthsiege
Heavy Gear

Space sims (I'll omit the obvious classics of this genre):
Try Independence War/Edge of Chaos and Klingon Academy - very good games and different from your standard "fighter dogfights in space" games. Strike Suit Zero was mentioned, It's a pretty cool arcade game worth playing imo if you're into this sort of stuff.
Some other less known but interesting space combat games:
Terminus

One of the few space combat games with more realistic physics.

Colony Wars:
491336-colony-wars-vengeance-playstation-screenshot-hitting-league.jpg

I remember liking it but I dont know if it's any good from todays perspective.

Inferno
INFERNO3.JPG

It's very arcade-y, has sections where you fly in planetary atmosphere and inside enemy ships. Also very cool music.

Star Crusader
StarCrusader_DOS_32.png

I liked it when I was a kid, kind of like Wing Commander (It's probably a very shitty game). I remember liking the story, it was cool that the player was a pilot for some kind of colonial empire instead of the usual "freedom, 'muricuh etc." crap

Hardwar (not really a space sim but takes place on another planet)

A Privateer-like game where you pilot atmospheric craft.

Futuristic submarine "simulators":
Subwar 2050
Archimedean Dynasty

Car games:
Quarantine and Road Warrior

Just for novelty:
Thunder Brigade

Game about flying tanks, never played it so I don't know if it's any good

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Forgot to mention Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 1. It seems that HAWX 2 is crap, confirm or deny?
In terms of game mechanics 2 is much better than 1, it has more weapons types, planes that actually differ in more than just looks, no fucking "assistance" mode (can stall in normal cockpit/3rd person view and no aiming help for guns). I actually finished the game without knowing they still had the "Assistance off" thing in the game. The campaign has added retarded CoD-like crap though, just like Assault Horizon did.

fastjack

Augur
oh shoot, Star Crusader reminds me of a good space sim, Renegade Legion: Battle for Jacob's Star. It is a Wing commander wannabe with graphics somewhere between WC2 and WC3, and some nice but obviously cheesy voice-acting and 90's cartoon style graphics. It also has an element of strategic play as you have a limited number of pilots and fighters and must manage them throughout the (branching) campaign. Some cool easter egg style stuff depending on how your campaign is going as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom