Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Video creation software recommendations

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by Severian Silk, Mar 21, 2017.

1. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Can anyone recommend some good basic video creation software for Windows? I have been using Windows Movie Maker and it is okay, but it restricts me to either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio and I need other aspect ratios such as 1:1. I am willing to spend ~$50 if it's good software. Webm format is preferred if possible. Thanks.

^ Top  
  2. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    Proshow Producer is a pretty fun program to use in my weaker computer. It's amateur-friendly. My recommendation.

Adobe Premiere is pretty much a professional's tool. You can do great things with it provided you spent much time on master it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    ^ Top  
  4. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Parrots:
    Blender is free and has a basic video editing feature that is quite flexible if you're not looking to create something complicated. Beware though that it does not have built-in effects. You can create them yourself, but you'll have to look up tutorials for that. Either that or there might be some community made plug-ins available.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    I ended up discovering Shotcut, a FOSS tool that seems to do what I need. Only problem is that it doesn't measure time in milliseconds, but rather in 1/24 second intervals AFAIK.

^ Top  
  6. Declinator Savant

Declinator
    Parrots:
    Are you certain that the footage you are cutting isn't 24 fps and so rather than 1/24 second intervals they are simply frames?

^ Top  
  7. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    I am assembling the video out of an image sequence I myself created.

^ Top  
  8. Declinator Savant

Declinator
    Parrots:
    Took a look at the program. You can just do Settings -> Video Mode -> Custom -> Add and set the frame rate to your wishes so if you actually want millisecond accuracy then 1000 frames per second (which would be ridiculous unless you have something real special that can handle that sort of a frame rate). You'll probably want 60 frames per second. The intervals on the timeline will shift accordingly.

^ Top  
  9. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    I have 128 frames and want them to play at 20fps. That means the video should be 6.4 seconds long. I did as you said and created a new video mode, but the duration is stuck at 5 3/24 seconds.

^ Top  
  10. Nostaljaded Learned

Nostaljaded
    Parrots:
    I've tested on both Shotcut & OpenShot before and IMO OpenShot is a better option as Shotcut is missing 'image overlay on top of video track' transitions & effects (or UI is so unintuitive that I couldn't find it).

Did a quick check on your video requirements that it can be easily done.
    The settings is at 'File\Export Video\Advanced\Profile'.

^ Top  
  11. Epsilon Savant

Epsilon
    Parrots:
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Declinator Savant

Declinator
    Parrots:
    This Shotcut is really not the most intuitive editor but image specific duration can be set accurately by pressing properties and Duration. You should then add them to the timeline (plus button) where you can drag-edit their duration also. If you don't see the timeline then press the timeline button. You can possibly have transitions if you have them overlap on different video tracks which you can add by right clicking on the left side of the timeline and pressing add video track (audio tracks can be added similarly).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Timeslip Timeslip Softworks Patron Developer

Timeslip
    Parrots:
    Nvidia Shadowplay or OBS for capturing raw footage. Hitfilm for editing. All free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)