Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Vince D. Weller Does Fallout: New Vegas

Melcar

Arcane
I also I agree. New Vegas sucks.

Silellak

Cipher
We don't really see how the NCR isn't functioning no more than we see how the Legion is, and all we got are a few vague "yeah people only care about themselves" remarks?
I wouldn't say that. I got a pretty good sense of NCR's inability to successfully hold the Mojave based on not just what people said, but what I saw. For one, you have the complete stand-still of caravans at the Mojave Outpost because the NCR can't control the roads. Then, you have the burning of Nipton, a town that theoretically should have been too deep in NCR territory to be so easily wiped off the map.

Then there's the issues with the NCR sharecroppers, the NCR's inability to make much headway into Freeside, the fact they can't take care of the Deathclaws north of Goodsprings...I dunno man, I thought it was pretty well shown (not just said) that the NCR was simply spread too thin in the vast area of the Mojave, and that the corruption back in California was just making things that much worse.

It really is the shame the Legion wasn't painted as a more-viable alternative...a bit less of the cartoony-evil and the game would've been all the better for it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Kz3r0 said:
Yeah, Romans wannabees are so unlikely ,,,,,,,
In America.

:?

I can never tell when people are serious here. Are you honestly equating inspiration in art and architecture with cultural adoption, and then stating that somehow applies to Fallout, when Roman culture has been almost completely forgotten?

Lumpy said:
Pretty much how we got to where we are today.

There's a lot of historical arguments about whether or not slavery is really economically efficient compared to its alternatives. Still, one might argue it works in primitive societies. Which New Vegas is not.

Silellak said:
I got a pretty good sense of NCR's inability to successfully hold the Mojave based on not just what people said, but what I saw.

I think you missed something. The Mojave is a frontier area and the NCR has arrived relatively recently. One could argue they're overstretched regardless of the Legion's presence, but it is clear the Legion is occupying most of their attention and manpower. They do not have the excess manpower to pacify the region because of the Legion. That means the Legion is causing the problem for which Caesar is criticizing the NCR. That's kinda dumb.

Besides, Caesar's claim stem back to his own time living in California. I find it hard to equate with what we learned in Fallout 2, and the game doesn't really offer us much new evidence.

Silellak said:
It really is the shame the Legion wasn't painted as a more-viable alternative...a bit less of the cartoony-evil and the game would've been all the better for it.

Yes. It reminds me of Fallout 3, where the Enclave under Autumn could've been a valid alternative if they'd also represented the Brotherhood of Steel - realistically - as much less capable in pacifying the Wasteland than the Enclave would be.

Because that's the problem here. A "necessary evil" has a prerequisite that there's no easily superior option. That's why the Legion would've worked better in Fallout 1's era when there were no real alternatives (and that's why the Master's ideas worked until, well, they didn't). Even accepting that the NCR is overstretched and incompetent, we've already seen the NCR capitol is heavan compared to what the Legion is offering. Or what I assume they're offering, since the game never shows me. One of the problems with it being a frontline setting.

MetalCraze

Arcane
For one, you have the complete stand-still of caravans at the Mojave Outpost because the NCR can't control the roads

Moar liek because Obsidian is incapable of plotting waypoints for the caravan AI?

All this space being nothing but an empty map.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
MetalCraze said:
For one, you have the complete stand-still of caravans at the Mojave Outpost because the NCR can't control the roads
Moar liek because Obsidian is incapable of plotting waypoints for the caravan AI?
Still haven't played the game yet, huh Skyway?

Radisshu

Prophet
Havoc said:
Twinkle said:
A cazador does 70 damage, it's stinger can penetrate armor better than a Sniper Rifle?

That's a balance hole.

No.
Tarantula%20Hawk2.jpg

It's still stupid that it can penetrate Power Armor. How is "THEY KILL SPIDERZZZ" an argument for their stingers being more dangerous than bullets? From a sniper rifle, at point blank range?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Frau Bishop said:
I heard New Vegas is still a buggy piece of gem hidden beneath a pile of crappy combat and 3d epilepsy. True?
Well, after turning AA off and turning on the faux windowed mode, the game's rock-solid for me.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWAY GO BACK TO KOTOR2 GROWNUPS ARE DISCUSSING GAMES

ANYWAYS I HAVENT PLAYED THIS BUT I THINK I WILL BUY IT IT AT AROUND THIRTY DOLLARS OR SO IT SOUNDS DECENT ONLY BAD THING IS THAT FAG PROTOCOL WILL BE CHEAP QUICKER

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Radisshu said:
Havoc said:
Twinkle said:
A cazador does 70 damage, it's stinger can penetrate armor better than a Sniper Rifle?
That's a balance hole.
No.
http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/hymenopt/From%20Debra%20Mauzy-Melitz/Tarantula%20Hawk2.jpg[img][/quote]
It's still stupid that it can penetrate Power Armor. How is "THEY KILL SPIDERZZZ" an argument for their stingers being more dangerous than [i]bullets[/i]? From a sniper rifle, at point blank range?[/quote]
It might have something to do with the comparison of a normal Cazador and a highly mutated extremely large one.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Radisshu said:
Havoc said:
Twinkle said:

That's a balance hole.

No.
Tarantula%20Hawk2.jpg

It's still stupid that it can penetrate Power Armor. How is "THEY KILL SPIDERZZZ" an argument for their stingers being more dangerous than bullets? From a sniper rifle, at point blank range?

You don't bitch about Deathclaws, that fucking own everything on their path. They can fuck up a power armored human being. In the real world they weren't badass.
You don't bitch about Radscorpions, that have an armor so hard you need to use a whole clip to kill one. In the real world they weren't badass.
You don't bitch about Mantises, that in big number can hurt you. In the real world they weren't badass.
You bitch about Cazadors, that can fuck you so fast, you will not know what happened. In the real world they ARE badass.

So in other words... shut the fuck up.

Radisshu

Prophet
Havoc said:
Radisshu said:
Havoc said:
Twinkle said:

That's a balance hole.

No.
Tarantula%20Hawk2.jpg

You don't bitch about Deathclaws, that fucking own everything on their path. They can fuck up a power armored human being. In the real world they weren't badass.
You don't bitch about Radscorpions, that have an armor so hard you need to use a whole clip to kill one. In the real world they weren't badass.
You don't bitch about Mantises, that in big number can hurt you. In the real world they weren't badass.
You bitch about Cazadors, that can fuck you so fast, you will not know what happened. In the real world they ARE badass.

So in other words... shut the fuck up.

So there are Cazador fanboys now? :thumbsup:

EDIT: Deathclaws in the real world would probably be pretty badass actually

Radisshu

Prophet
So, logically, that I attacked your silly "IT PWNS SPIDER" statement means that I think Radscorpions being a huge threat to people in power armor is completely reasonable? Did you hang out at any Dragonball Z forums before coming here?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Radisshu said:
So, logically, that I attacked your silly "IT PWNS SPIDER" statement means that I think Radscorpions being a huge threat to people in power armor is completely reasonable? Did you hang out at any Dragonball Z forums before coming here?

So mutant beings can't get stronger and tougher? Damn... Fallout universe is stupid.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You should all do like the smart plant and stop reposting that picture over and over. It just lessens the drama anyway.

Radisshu

Prophet
Havoc said:
Radisshu said:

So mutant beings can't get stronger and tougher? Damn... Fallout universe is stupid.

Just stop acting like you think a certain monster from a certain game is so fucking cool and awesome and oh shit look it kills spiders oh YEAH MAN FUCK YEAH, it's weird.

Black

Arcane
Leave cazadores alone, they're pretty cool. Since FO1 there wasn't an addition of a creature that can shit up as hard as a deathclaw, now we have cazadores, a welcome addition.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
And why do you think it shouldn't start to (after mutation) hunt for bigger, armored pray?

(DT is kind broken in F:NV and F3 btw.)

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Black said:
Leave cazadores alone, they're pretty cool. Since FO1 there wasn't an addition of a creature that can shit up as hard as a deathclaw, now we have cazadores, a welcome addition.
Yes, this. I don't understand the complaints about the addition of another actually challenging enemy.

Ausir

Arcane
Black said:

Actually, there were super mutant behemoths :smug:.

And why do you think it shouldn't start to (after mutation) hunt for bigger, armored pray?

(DT is kind broken in F:NV and F3 btw.)

There is no DT in F3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom