Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Visceris does KOTOR!

Ibbz

Augur
Didn't Visceris say that he wasnt going to buy KOTOR?

Hawkwind

Novice
Ibbz said:
Didn't Visceris say that he wasnt going to buy KOTOR?

He played it for three hours in the store on the XBox months ago and concluded it was crap and said so many times. But I guess once he played the actual game longer he concluded it was good after all. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
RP, You are wrong.

And, yes, Visc is completely back and forth. It's only a matter of time before he quits his job and starts whining about horrible everything is again.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'm sure Viscey is just pre-emptively sucking up to as many companies as he possibly can in hopes of getting free stuff.

I say he should just write for GameSpy so we could conveniently ignore him along with all the other godawful gaming writers.

triCritical

Erudite
Role-Player said:
When compared to what they've done in the past, I believe it is.

In my most humble opinion, I think the Baldur's Gate was their best game by far. The more I play KotOR the more I dislike it. The combat is just becoming more and more mundane, especially since they have you do SOOOOOOOO much of it. I mean how many praying mantis' do I have to kill before its too much?

I think Bioware should take a lesson from a lot of the asian titles, which also have poor combat.

1) Less of it.
2) Make it meaninful.
3) And don't make my thief/jedi fight the same two friggin things the same way my soldier does when he had a hard time by himself. In other words, if you are going to allow weak combat characters, then don't force them to fight by themselves.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You do realize you can avoid a lot of uneccessary combat the same way one does in Fallout - run like a coward.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tri, the combat, even if mundane, is still above the passive mess the IE combat tended to be. And, combat isn't s forced on you as it was on their older titles - it still is, but not as much.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
You do realize you can avoid a lot of uneccessary combat the same way one does in Fallout - run like a coward.

Fallout or Fallout2?

Anyhow I have no idea what you are talking about. Just what combat do I have to run from in Fallout? With good outdoorsmen, sneak and some other skills I do not have to fight ONE character in Fallout. Not even runaway!

In KotOR, just as many encounters if not more are forced fight. And I am not just talking about the assasins, which both BG and KotOR have. I am talking about the crappy enemies. The ones that there are way too many of and add nothing to the game.

As for running away, not really. The games map's, and I don't mean dungeons, are way too linear so I have to pass them and the can pretty much chop away out me if I don't fight. Not to mention your other party members will turn and fight and you can't leave the map until you have gathered your party.

Role Player said:
Tri, the combat, even if mundane, is still above the passive mess the IE combat tended to be. And, combat isn't s forced on you as it was on their older titles - it still is, but not as much.

I am not really talking about making combat avoided. That is why I did not mention Fallout instead I said the Eastern combat game. IMO KotOR should play first and foremost like a story driven adventure, and then just have the combat be left to places were it is meaninful. For instance, dungeons and serious fights. Instead the combat is everywhere and 90% of it just isn't fun.

The problem is that I am playing a heavy combat oriented character, so I want to fight. The problem is I do not want to fight every 20 seconds, like I playing Gauntlet. Roughly only 1 out of 10 encounters are meaningful and worthy, but I think it should be 1 out of every 1 encounters that are meaninful. I am friggin tough jedi, I don't want to fight cannon fodder!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Rp; That's just false. KOTOR's combat is way more passive than the IE combat could ever imagine to be. Overall, while fun in those very few challenging battles, KOTOR's combat just isn't impressiveactive wise; but is cinematically wise.

Tri, you can avoid most of the vrivilous combat in KOTOR by running or sneaking. I agree it's unneded; but in the two situations you complain about - the hounds and praying mantis - fits the areas theya re found in. In fact, the npcs even tell you that the hoiunds have been killing settlers at an alarming rate for the past month or so; and the mantis have takena dvantage of the shoddyship of the corporation that took over the wookie home world. So, in essence, while the combat with them isn't that good, it does fit the 'story" of the particula rplanets they are found on.

As for FO; there are encounters that you can "avoid" only through sheer cowardice or avoidng the encounter completely in the first place. The rats you meet up as you leave Vault 13 is one prime example of this.Other examples, where you need one particular skill - outsdoosman - to avoid them altogether even thouigh still get nailed once and awhile. Then most of these random encounters add almost nothing to the story (they add to the atmosphere much as the easy battles in KOTOR do); so that's what I mean.

Just run as fast you can! Harder to do in KOTOR than it is in FO due to the controls; but still feasible if you want to avoid the combat.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Rp; That's just false. KOTOR's combat is way more passive than the IE combat could ever imagine to be. Overall, while fun in those very few challenging battles, KOTOR's combat just isn't impressiveactive wise; but is cinematically wise.

KoTOR's combat is more passive than IE combat? More passive than NWN's combat, perhaps, given there aren't that many abilities you can use in combat, and, even if somewhat screwed by the RTWP syndrome, NWN's combat has many more combat feats than KoTOR. IE combat is point and click and watch back, with no extras to keep things more interesting.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? You must have missed all the spells. You also must have mised TOB. You also must have mised IWD2 (which I disliked nontheless heh). You must have missed the actually challenging battles which simply don't exist in KOTOR a part from a handful of them. You must have missed the full fledge controllable party that'll actually run when you get them to since you can control them at the same time instead of only one of the time. Want more prof... I always used the space bar in the IE games when planning how to fight a particular battle. I very rarely did this in KOTOR because in most cases it was just hack away at them with no worries what so ever. Yeah, KOTOR is less passive than the IE games. :roll:

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well... ole Kniggets here is actually better than the NWN-bundle, and I enjoyed it, whatever faults it had (d20 system, pause-combat, no "real" useable y-dimension, lack of head versatility and so on)...

... I did however NOT enjoy Visc's review. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Knights is better as an included campaign than NWN OC, or SOU; but not much better than HOTU if at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom