Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voidspire Tactics

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
You could have them level HP like everyone else, that is, they start with the extra HP as though they had leveled it up, instead of just getting the flat bonus, so increasing the HP further costs more.

Not a bad idea.

Eldiran - Yar, achievements seem to be working now. My life is complete! The next step is, obviously, Steam trading cards -- proven to be the 1000% most important thing for any game. :p

I'm so glad to hear achievements are finally working. I just took a shot in the dark and that seems to have fixed it for people.

If my game involved any artwork you bet I'd put it on Steam trading cards. : P

I think bombs are fine. I only found like 3-4 in the entire game, and they need quite a bit of setup to use... plus they can act as an almost-literal nuclear option if a particular encounter is really pissing you off. I'm not sure what makes Freeze work too well, though my caster was a Fareem this time, so she may have just gotten turns directly after the boss... also, you don't need to move while chain-casting Freeze so your turns will be coming up faster anyway (she had 0 ice skill fwiw, though I don't think it matters). edit: now that I think about it, Aeshra was also immune to being perma-frozen, just about... but it was still worthwhile to cast to push its turn back a bit.

True. I forgot Bombs aren't renewable, in which case them being highly damaging is great.

I agree, even if Freeze doesn't perma-stun the opponent, it's usually worth it for the delay on bosses. I wonder if it's better or worse than Shock for that.

Pre-buffing is... tricky. It's true that in the early game it's not THAT big a deal (in fact, I just used a buff ability to draw the enemy team's attention and initiate the combat there since otherwise the buff'd run out by the time I managed to actually start the fight), but getting even a single buff on everyone before the combat starts is a significant leg up. The main advantage is not even necessarily the extra action, but rather the tactical advantage from being able to spread out / reposition immediately instead of having to gather around and wait for a Ward/Growth cast to finish -- or in case of having a Fareem, the party having to stay at the starting position on turn 1 so the tank can hit everyone with Wide Guard. For solutions, I don't have too many ideas myself... one thing I've seen in the Sword Coast Stratagems mod of BG1-2 was simulating the enemies also being smart enough to pre-buff by having buffs active on the enemies at combat start. In the context of VT this'd mean that certain enemies (depending on the encounter setup, ie. each warrior-class enemy could buff themselves OR someone else with Guard, not more) could have ward / regen / shield preapplied to them on turn 0, perhaps with the same slightly reduced duration to mimic player prebuffing. This could be a difficulty toggle option, though it'd probably make the difficulty options a bit too cluttered...

Very interesting ideas. If the enemy gets any prebuff-equivalent setups I'd need it to be player-accessible too (like a passive that grants Ward at combat start) which might be fun. I especially like a difficulty toggle for prebuffing (someone who is sick of that tedium could disable it while feeling accomplished for doing so). Maybe I could increase the variety of Dispel abilities/passives so prebuffing is easier to counter too.

I think Gunnar's idea about the Diecast is good - get some survivability up front over a longer-term advantage like the Rasmen or Scurio, and it'll still make them very attractive for a Ruin playthrough. Also, I think the other problem is that there just aren't many enemies who use frost damage, so the disadvantage doesn't really come into play (not that I think there should be frost spammers in each fight, either).

Yeah, frost is uncommon. I don't think there are even any animals that use it, just humanoid mages.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
meingott, the game is good. fuck me for not trying this game earlier. the soundtrack is so awesome and i dig the combat so far.

pretty sure now that alvora tactics will be a :d1p:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
this game is getting better and better. you unlock more classes that branched from the main 3. the environment are interactive too like divinity original sin. on a lake? use ice magic to create a platform, etc.

alot of secrets to be found by digging, shovelling, combining magic effects, etc.

the combat are great, enemies encounter are hand crafted and so far there are a good variety of locations and enemies. there are diplomacy so not everything is hostile or you can kill anyone it seems.

i can see now why this is one of the codex's darling
:love::love::love::love:

Jinn

Arcane
The game still deserves way more attention than it gets. I feel the aesthetic is the main reason people are so unwilling to check it out. I actually liked the art and animations quite a bit myself though.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
The game still deserves way more attention than it gets. I feel the aesthetic is the main reason people are so unwilling to check it out. I actually liked the art and animations quite a bit myself though.
grew up with 16 bit RPGs, i don't find a problem with aesthetics. it's sure nothing special, even compared to other 16 bit SNES games that have same level of graphics, the underlying system is what makes this game special for me. too bad most people aren't willing to try.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finally finished the game. playing on veteran difficulty and thoughtful AI.

it wasn't that tough. there are some troublesome encounter like vyse is probably the one that gave me the most trouble. ( i ended up cheesing it by stun locking vyse with shock / freeze and slowly slaughter his lackeys) erkatz isn't that tough despite looking badass and imposing and that HP amount discourage my morale, in the end i got trough.the first battle, he is vulnerable to ruin and shock, although he recover fast. actually the first battle is a bit tougher because his staff attack did 30+ damage to any of the characters and his spell like that hellfyre thing was tough. you cannot cheese the second form with status effect, but his attacks are comparatively harmless. the giant penis shooting laser can be avoided easily with shield attack, force or any character moving attacks. the damage are easily returned by regen, etc.

anyway, what would happen if you managed to beat him in the forest? does he just teleport away?

8/10, would be 9 if i didn't had any bugs (the door with the 4 2 1 3 switch is bugged for me and i had to use dm mode like the developer said in steam forum, where another poor dude got the same bug) i will be moving on to alvora tactics probably picking a tougher difficulty. how similar are the system? new levelling up mechanics or just new classes? i went into the game blind, and probably didn't get a much optimized build so i had problems here and there.

anyway, awesome game. hope they keep making these and i will keep buying them day 1

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks HoboForEternity! Glad you enjoyed it! : )

If you defeat Ekrast in the forest, he teleports away while dropping some loot (an Infinity Band if I recall).

Alvora Tactics has the same combat and class system. XP requirements for unlocks are higher, but there are alternate methods of unlocking the classes.

Unrelated: Voidspire Tactics is 50% off for the summer sale for anyone who has been waiting to try it out.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thank you! : )

It actually helps out a lot. There are hidden thresholds at 10, 50, 100, etc. at which a game can be rated 'Very Positive', 'Overwhelmingly Positive', etc. I believe once I hit 100 reviews I'll be at the next threshold, so every review helps.

cpmartins

Cipher
Oh wow, so you're the actual Dev for this game? After pirating it I just had to give you money for it. What a fucking amazing game. After I put a few hours into the Steam copy I'll give you a glowing review as well, well earned too.
I'll be getting Alvora Tactics later.
EDIT: Any tips for party composition for late game? Classes to unlock? I've ran with the basic ones and they play pretty well to be honest.

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Most parties can do alright in the end game. Having a Sage or Balancer for support is pretty useful. Either that or you can stockpile bandages for healing.

The best compositions are when you can get a combo going between your characters. Like water attacks into electricity, Disable into the Breaker's Shatter, Mechanist bombs into electric attacks, etc.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Heads up: Voidspire Tactics is 60% off on Chrono.gg just for today.

Also I'll be putting out patch v1.09 for VT in the next few weeks. Nothing major, just bugfixes and typo fixes.

Tolias

Educated
So I've been playing this a lot the last few days and having a blast.

I'm at the blood quarter (next to the myconid village, where you need to solve the switch puzzle to enter) and have just cleared it (also those undead are fucking hard).

Anyway, at the first area, in the 4th crypt to the right, there's a 1-tile wide corridor going south with a pressure plate in the middle. If you step on it (and I dont see how you can avoid it) almost all corridor tiles become poison traps and you're locked in. How the hell do you open the locked doors? Or, is there a way to jump over the pressure plate I've not figured out? It's driving me crazy.

Great game otherwise.

Goromorg

Savant
So I've been playing this a lot the last few days and having a blast.

I'm at the blood quarter (next to the myconid village, where you need to solve the switch puzzle to enter) and have just cleared it (also those undead are fucking hard).

Anyway, at the first area, in the 4th crypt to the right, there's a 1-tile wide corridor going south with a pressure plate in the middle. If you step on it (and I dont see how you can avoid it) almost all corridor tiles become poison traps and you're locked in. How the hell do you open the locked doors? Or, is there a way to jump over the pressure plate I've not figured out? It's driving me crazy.

Great game otherwise.
You can jump over it with gatekeeper teleportation skill.
And prepare yourself for a tough fight.

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Glad you're enjoying it Tolias!

There is also
a secret path out of the trap if you trigger it.

Patch 1.0.9 is up.

• Fixed bug where Bone Crossbows turned into Iron Crossbows when fired.
  • Fixed inaccurate text in Fareem journal entry.
  • Fixed minor typos in journal entries.
  • Greatly reduced effectiveness of Bonemeld vs. Undead (now only x3 damage, not x5 damage).
  • Slightly weakened red undead.
  • Made broken lever more visible.
  • Fixed 'Continue' option not appearing in main menu if you get a Game Over on your first play session.

Tolias

Educated
Thanks for responses bros.

I did end up getting Gatekeeper teleport (my obsessive nature means I had like 28 essence stones available, lol).
Of course after getting it I ended up finding
the secret room with the switch, two tiles north & left from the bottom door

Also if anyone is confused about how Gate: Item works, use it once on an item (it disappears) and use it again on open ground for it to re-appear. Get that stuff from the columns!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
:necro:

So i noticed this was on the steam summer sale. quick question, is this a bare story rpg focused on puzzles and combat or is there a deep story, dialogue, quests, sidequests?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It's focused on puzzles and combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom