Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voidspire Tactics

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yea, same here -- gonna try to put some time aside to play this!

Anyone try the two highest difficulty (not AI) levels, and if so, where are they on the fun-o-meter? Like... with a +60% buff to enemy stats, does the player need metagame knowledge / grinding / praying to RNGesus to overcome the tougher fights, or are all crit-path encounters all doable on a first playthrough when applying a sufficient amount of Tacticool-Os?

If you want to experiment with all the class combinations, I'd play on the normal difficulty. If you're using meta knowledge and beeline the strongest combos, the harder difficulties should be fine.

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, same here -- gonna try to put some time aside to play this!

Anyone try the two highest difficulty (not AI) levels, and if so, where are they on the fun-o-meter? Like... with a +60% buff to enemy stats, does the player need metagame knowledge / grinding / praying to RNGesus to overcome the tougher fights, or are all crit-path encounters all doable on a first playthrough when applying a sufficient amount of Tacticool-Os?

If you want to experiment with all the class combinations, I'd play on the normal difficulty. If you're using meta knowledge and beeline the strongest combos, the harder difficulties should be fine.
Sounds like a plan, thanks! I'll probably try my luck on expert for now, and scale it back to veteran if stuff gets too out of hand.

First impressions: pretty good, definitely see some potential in the combat / character system... it's like an amalgam of Shining Force and FFT. I like how nobody in the first 'village' (merchants included) cares about me stealing and/or destroying their shit, but I guess four menacing and armed humans/naga/furries/faceless dudes will have that effect. I also like the throwback to Ultima with creating bandages, though I wish it was possible to bind utility items to a key so they could be used without wielding them in the offhand (unless I'm missing something on the UI)...

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Sounds like a plan, thanks! I'll probably try my luck on expert for now, and scale it back to veteran if stuff gets too out of hand.

First impressions: pretty good, definitely see some potential in the combat / character system... it's like an amalgam of Shining Force and FFT. I like how nobody in the first 'village' (merchants included) cares about me stealing and/or destroying their shit, but I guess four menacing and armed humans/naga/furries/faceless dudes will have that effect. I also like the throwback to Ultima with creating bandages, though I wish it was possible to bind utility items to a key so they could be used without wielding them in the offhand (unless I'm missing something on the UI)...

Expert is perfect for a new player who knows Tactics RPGs and wants a challenge, so that's a good plan.

You can also use utility items by clicking them from inside your inventory, even if they're not in your hand slots.

And yeah, it's probably best to let armed warriors take a few trinkets than try to apprehend them : P
I regret not scripting a response or two for that kind of thing, but time constraints got to me.

Ent

Savant
ooo a shiftcloak buff. Maybe I'll build a character around it instead of just grabbing the crossbow passive.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, is the SITS lands review not really happening?

Deuce Traveler is supposedly writing one up.

I'm only a couple paragraphs in, and I meant to be done yesterday. I had some personal stuff get kicked up this weekend, plus work became busy again. I'm hoping I can get the initial draft complete in a few days. If not, it will be next week when work calms down again. :(

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Still no news post? And at least 5 news posts mentioning Sword Coast Legends? Really? :)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Still no news post? And at least 5 news posts mentioning Sword Coast Legends? Really? :)

The SCL threads have over 150 pages in total; Voidspire Tactics has 8. The SCL threads had dozens of posters discussing gameplay mechanics and making Let's Plays; here, we're just a small handful of people. The popularity gap between the two games is huge, even on the Codex.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What, you don't like the way FFT did it? : P

Don't worry, these are heavily exaggerated for demonstration. You can also press any button to make them complete the sentence immediately, or change the speed in the settings.
Just watching you make fun of it makes my blood boil at that sequence in the school.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
That monologue is burned into my mind from sitting through it so many dang times...

Last day of the sale by the way, everybody! It ends sometime mid-Monday I believe.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bought it.
From your site.
At full price. :)
I have a feeling you "get" what I want to play.

Now to kick this semester's ass so I can actually have time to get into this one!

Zetor

Arcane
I think I'm entering the late game (got 3 stones, killed all the orb robots) and so far it's p. good. The AI seems to be a bit susceptible to cheese, though!

What are folks' impressions on classes overall? I'm getting the overall vibe that ranged > melee except for the obligatory tank character, but I haven't unlocked anything more advanced than brawler and rogue yet (I like my warrior/guardian and melee scout/rogue too much). Casters seem to be pretty amazing in damage and control / area denial, though the unmaker class hasn't impressed me yet...

ColCol

Arcane
I think I'm entering the late game (got 3 stones, killed all the orb robots) and so far it's p. good. The AI seems to be a bit susceptible to cheese, though!

What are folks' impressions on classes overall? I'm getting the overall vibe that ranged > melee except for the obligatory tank character, but I haven't unlocked anything more advanced than brawler and rogue yet (I like my warrior/guardian and melee scout/rogue too much). Casters seem to be pretty amazing in damage and control / area denial, though the unmaker class hasn't impressed me yet...

Near the late game melee characters start suffering from their inability to land a hit on a mobile character or from starting too far from a ranged attacker.

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, that's been my impression too. Case in point: just ran into a bunch of jerks with high-damage ranged weapons who ambush me from way out of melee range. It's still possible to kill them by nuking them from behind barriers (sage MVP), but it's a bit painful / time-consuming! I'll probably avoid the ambush for now (thx destructible environment -- more games need to have this) and come back later once my useless underappreciated scout/rogue gains a few levels and/or unlocks a better class...

Mustawd

I guess I now have to buy this game and review it.

What I get for trying to be edgy I suppose.

voidspire_zpsq3om7ftr.jpg

Given the content this will probably need two playthroughs to give it justice. ETA ~ a month unless someone else beats me to reviewing this thing.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Bought it.
From your site.
At full price. :)
I have a feeling you "get" what I want to play.

Now to kick this semester's ass so I can actually have time to get into this one!

I noticed someone paid full price - didn't realize it was you! That's awesome, thank you!

Near the late game melee characters start suffering from their inability to land a hit on a mobile character or from starting too far from a ranged attacker.

A bit, yeah. Most melee classes have an ability that moves them to help make up for that. Warriors in particular can stay very mobile while still doing a ton of damage (Charge does 90% of a normal attack).

Given the content this will probably need two playthroughs to give it justice. ETA ~ a month unless someone else beats me to reviewing this thing.

: D

While I hate to tell you to play it less, a single playthrough is probably sufficient. Feel free to only do one run unless you find you're really into it.

Zetor

Arcane
Just finished, p. good! One of the boss fights even featured the Mechanus Cannon from PST. 10/10, would AI-cheese again.

... seriously though, I liked this game quite a bit, it's definitely among the better RPGs from 2015. If I had to highlight one thing, it'd be environmental interactivity allowing a lot of 'outside the box' solutions to combat and noncombat problems. Also, the character system is really fun to experiment with -- I can see a replay at Ruin difficulty in the future. So, uh, when's the sequel coming out?!

Last edited:

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got stuck because of a nasty bug. If you place aerstone (or any item for that matter) in the spot between two of the sockets on the airship (picture below) you can't pick it up again. Of course I didn't notice the sockets at first and instead thought you're supposed to line up the orbs on top of the ship :lol: So I did that every time I found one and only noticed that one is stuck there after I had all four (and had explored every area in the game).

And I was so close to finishing it :negative:

tPWtQ2s.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Got stuck because of a nasty bug. If you place aerstone (or any item for that matter) in the spot between two of the sockets on the airship (picture below) you can't pick it up again. Of course I didn't notice the sockets at first and instead thought you're supposed to line up the orbs on top of the ship :lol: So I did that every time I found one and only noticed that one is stuck there after I had all four (and had explored every area in the game).

tPWtQ2s.jpg
You're not stuck, I did the same, but there's something you can do, I search and I'll edit my message.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Ok put your character on the tile and type G (it's the shortcut to pick an item), it'll go directly into your inventory, maybe you need not to be full.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ok put your character on the tile and type G (it's the shortcut to pick an item), it'll go directly into your inventory, maybe you need not to be full.
Awesome, that worked! Thank you!

I've been playing mostly with the mouse so I didn't even think of trying that.

viniciusjf

Barely Literate
Hi fellows, good night.
I would like to ask for your help, please. I have 8 hours of play and I'm parently "trapped" by some game secret or maybe a bug.
After kill Celia and his team at an isolated camp/village, I found this map and when I tried to turn back, the path leads me this different section of the map. The problem is that I can't turn back or follow because the exits looks to bem closed. Besides, autosave has some error and the game cracks when I try to quicksave. I hate to ask you for a solution to a game charade instead of explore it by myself, but I really don't what else can I at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom