Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Voxel Quest - voxel-based roguelike RPG and engine

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gavan Woolery

Would NPCs in this game also develop their characters as the game goes along, i. e. will they also level up and increase skills etc.?

Gavan Woolery

Learned
Patron
Codex 2014
Luzur oh yes I am familiar with both - Cube World seems to have a more console-y feel than my intended design, and Vox feels somewhat casual (I regularly keep up on the work from Vox via twitter and reddit/r/gamedev).

Gavan Woolery

Learned
Patron
Codex 2014
ERYFKRAD The only distinction between the player character and NPCs is that the player character is controlled by a human - in fact, optionally you can let AI control the player character, which is useful for a couple things like demo mode (however, in this case you don't see a lot of things, just as you would not see NPCs doing every action like managing their inventories and stats).

:Flash:

Arcane
A while ago I said that the problem with the modern out-of-the-box game engines is that they stifle creativity and make all games feel alike.
I think people didn't really get what I was talking about, but here's a good counterexample of the creativity and difference I want to see.
Backed.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gavan Woolery, I'm looking forward for more technical updates on your engine. I really hope you can deliver on the logical programming-based AI, as my only experience with it is Prolog at university.

About AI - could you use the same mechanism to make smart turrets, cannons, traps, rails, etc?

Gavan Woolery

Learned
Patron
Codex 2014
A while ago I said that the problem with the modern out-of-the-box game engines is that they stifle creativity and make all games feel alike.
I think people didn't really get what I was talking about, but here's a good counterexample of the creativity and difference I want to see.
Backed.
Thanks for backing, and good to see someone who hates generic engines like me :)
PS loved Wing Commander: Privateer and Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Gavan Woolery

Learned
Patron
Codex 2014
Gavan Woolery, I'm looking forward for more technical updates on your engine. I really hope you can deliver on the logical programming-based AI, as my only experience with it is Prolog at university.

About AI - could you use the same mechanism to make smart turrets, cannons, traps, rails, etc?

Yeah, well one way to make a turret is to make an "NPC" and take away its ability to move, hunger, other needs. The last thing we need is sentient turrets! (see: Skynet) However, you probably want "dumb" turrets as those might be more convincing depending on the story behind them.

Murk

Arcane
For those curious about the look of stuff, the gallery on the site has some very cool looking screens. http://www.voxelquest.com/gallery.html

spoilered to save space

8206863_orig.png

3240236_orig.png

8904567_orig.png

625949_orig.png

Some of the screens make me wonder what kind of strategy/rts possibilities the engine has

3517154_orig.png

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Voxel shmoxel, for me it's the AI that is mind blowing in this project.

Will the AI lead to global things like rises and falls of entire civilizations, wars, social and political evolution?

Edit: from your KS page "Actions and reactions are played out to a limited depth" - I gather the answer is no..? Why not? How about in the future?

Last edited:

Gavan Woolery

Learned
Patron
Codex 2014
Voxel shmoxel, for me it's the AI that is mind blowing in this project.

Will the AI lead to global things like rises and falls of entire civilizations, wars, social and political evolution?

Edit: from your KS page "Actions and reactions are played out to a limited depth" - I gather the answer is no..? Why not? How about in the future?

:) That is a really great question, I think I may have hinted at this in one of my bulleted feature lists.

The AI makes decisions at a macroscopic level in addition to a personal level. Basically, whoever is in charge of the province (it could be you) issues commands to the citizens and soldiers. You can declare laws, make alliances, and declare wars.

Again, this is way more simple than it might sound. Most of this is occurring at a pretty high level of abstraction - think of it like a 4x or strategy game (http://www.europauniversalis3.com/ for example).

So, how might this work? It builds a table of alliances and enemies (not a yes/no table but a number from 0.0 (totally hostile) to 0.5 (neutral) to 1.0 (totally friendly / allied) - this gets deeper than political ties, and accounts for things like racial biases and so forth. Each table is weighted in terms of importance, then added up, and averaged, ultimately producing a final number of 0.0 to 1.0 with the same meaning as above. The AI acts on its motivations and deterrents to maximize its score for each individual - everyone tries to help their friends and destroy their enemies, while more importantly fulfilling any personal goals and staying alive. Sometimes personal goals conflict with political goals - i.e. you have a love interest that is in the town of a rival faction. Conflicts like this ultimately are what makes the story interesting.

Ultimately, its going to be an interesting problem and may be limited in scope to a few hundred NPCs in a world, depending on how compute-intensive everything gets. As always, there are tricks to get around everything, like working with a macro-scale AI and an individual (local AI) separately.

There won't really be any form of evolution I can think (aside from survival of the fittest, which is not explicitly defined but just a side effect of a non-static world). There is no learned behavior (i.e. use of a neural network).

Don't confuse depth of compute with ability to plan though. Characters will (and must) be able to plan. For example, if an artifact is very far away and hard to get, NPCs must be able to devise a solution to get it (assuming they have motivation to). Compute depth is more about predicting what move you will make, based on what move I make, based on what move you will make 2 turns later, etc etc.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you could enslave entire Nations with Necromancy you could one up BioWare (who actually failed on that promise). ;)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the twitch stream, it looks like we will be able to create characters with gigantic, possibly multi-headed, dicks. Codex heaven.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Luzur I don't know what the other Voxel RPG is that you speak of, but many are coming (I think Mark Kern, guy behind WoW and Firefall, is now making one). Let me know if you find a link. :)

I was thinking about the one that looks like JRPG/ Zelda clone, Cube World

This game is made by a German sperg and hasn't been updated since pre-alpha release. A year and 3 months ago. The guy spergs twice a year about what he's been working on and the patch will come out when it's done.

The game had potential as a freeform explore/quest thing, but it's dead now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom