Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher W3EE - Overhaul mod to TW3 that fixed everything that was wrong with vanilla game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Does EE really make this game that much harder? I know it's not a very difficult game to begin with but that last comment makes me wonder.
Depends on how good you can get at perfect blocking (though the skill will naturally improve with time). Someone earlier swore the game was even easier...before confessing that he spent 5 solid hours at the beginning of the game just mastering the perfect block. Between his own and improvement and the new improve by use skill system, I don't know what he expected other than to make blocking a lot easier. Though it's still not easy to me to get a perfect block.

So I would say yes, the game becomes a lot more challenging.

You need to really learn how to block and when to attack and to stop dodging all the time as it's really mainly used for positioning now and not straight dodging, unless you have the room to dodge that is.
so, the tutorial is impossible without cheating.
lol
on the second easiest difficulty level the noonwraith threeshots me
just run outside of the town when she splits, then run back in. she won't be able to sap your health and regenerate and she'll be one wraith form again instead of three. easy.

either that or use bombs and a bunch of potions. or wait until you are higher level.
it expects you to hack some monsters for 20min.
Not sure what on earth you're talking about now.

Vanilla is what had the HP bloat. I haven't dealt with any bloated monsters. The hounds of the wild hunt have a bit high regen for my tastes, but once I figured out that I was fighting them wrong due to not following the setup instructions on keybinds properly, it got a lot easier. Especially once I got my gear repaired and used some bombs.

And if you find something not to your liking, you can easily edit its settings in the menu, so you really can pick and chose ftmp.

Regardless, it's better than vanilla, which was almost completely mindless even on max difficulty, unless of course you fought higher level enemies.

THAT'S cheating, you numbnuts =_=
No, it isn't. At best, it's a bit abusive, sure, but it isn't typing in a console code, editing game files or using a trainer. That's cheating.

I offered you several other alternatives that were less abusive. And you'll note that I didn't suggest adjusting the mod's settings (which would be a lot closer to cheating than simply running).

Yosharian

Arcane
Maybe it's closer to actual role-playing than anything else, to slowly weaken a supernatural creature over many successive fights. If the creature can't chase you down, why wouldn't you retreat when threatened with death, to come back later.

Maybe what's cheating is when you run from a fight only to come back and find that a creature, that doesn't possess any innate healing or regenerative ability, has mysteriously regained all its hitpoints as if the previous fight never happened. I always think that's complete bullshit.

Has anyone actually played a game successfully with this mod? Trying to figure out if I'm just not getting how the mod is supposed to work, I installed the mod incorrectly, or if the mod is just fucked up balance-wise.

Money is the problem for me. The modder removed basically all income other than from quests. Furthermore at least the first quest in the tutorial has no "huge bonus" potential for negotiating, it's at the 50-100 orens level. For the most part I can scavenge a house or two for 5 orens a piece and killing monsters might reward me with 5 orens each

My expenses? Well, roughly every swing I take with a sword knocks off 1% of the durability. At around 70% my starting sword takes 250 orens to repair. I've only made maybe 50 orens from loot drops but I was able to repair my sword thanks to the starting money Geralt has. Now that's all gone and I won't be able to repair my sword at all any more unless I find serious moolah. How the heck are we supposed to maintain equipment? The modder mentions making it more expensive but with the money I'm making even vanilla would cost way too much.

Second problem is healing. Now yes, the modder decreased the price of a bunch of crap like alcohol to 2 orens. I still make almost nothing and since the modder changed potions to non-reusable, there's no good way I can find to craft potions that heal me. Every time I take 2 or 3 hits I either need to pony up 50 orens to craft a potion (ontop of orens to light a fire with firewood) or buy 20 orens worth of food items and idle for 20 mins while they heal me. How the hell am I expected to work with this?

As far as I can tell the mod is wholly working properly and I set myself to the defaults in all mod options. I could massively alter some of the economic stuff in the mod options but I can't believe that the mod is intended to work this way, there must be something I'm missing.

Aside from this the mod is amazing. Parrying is pretty damn easy IMHO though and the fact that you can do it to monsters now is kind of overpowered. Literally any 1v1 is trivial so far. But I guess that's kind of appropriate. The combat system is completely unfucked and almost good. Playing on so-called normal and it feels nice and fairly realistic.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
It takes your money for contracts? Sounds like a story mode mod.

Those are 12th century rates for monster slaying.

At around 70% my starting sword takes 250 orens to repair.
I usually keep a pair of extra silver and steel swords on me and also some repair kits.

The game has a ton of free swords in it and plenty of quests to make money or earn materials.

Also, the tutorial area is dirt poor, so wait a bit before judging rewards.

Been a while since I've been able to pick it up though, so this is all memory.
Second problem is healing. Now yes, the modder decreased the price of a bunch of crap like alcohol to 2 orens. I still make almost nothing and since the modder changed potions to non-reusable, there's no good way I can find to craft potions that heal me. Every time I take 2 or 3 hits I either need to pony up 50 orens to craft a potion (ontop of orens to light a fire with firewood) or buy 20 orens worth of food items and idle for 20 mins while they heal me. How the hell am I expected to work with this?
Eat a sandwich and meditate WITHOUT starting a fire.
Meditation:
A new, core part of the game. Meditating is a witcher's best friend, allowing you to rest, brew potions, learn new talents, improve your gear with runes and glyphs or spend time to meticulously apply oils to your blades or to consume potions in a controlled manner.
If you have firewood and simply enter meditation, Geralt will set a fire, allowing you to brew potions and gain a well-rested bonus if you rest near it for at least six hours. If you hold the meditation key, Geralt will enter meditation without setting a fire.
After you've entered meditation mode, I believe holding the SHIFT key will let you speed up time without having to meditate for a set number of hours.

Or just make yourself a bunch of potions at once so you don't waste frewood - which can be gained cheaply by breaking down random wooden items.

If the potion thing is still too difficult, you can modify the amount of potions made in a single go in the settings.
Literally any 1v1 is trivial so far
Now go up to a group of 6 drowners. :M

Where do you get money early game? Unless I'm supposed to rush to end the tutorial and get 1000s of orens per quest in chapter 1, I don't see how I can keep my blades in good condition. My other option involves beating 90% of encounters with Igni.

Maybe I'm being overly OCD about exploring. Should I restart and go straight for the storyline stuff (which should be quite doable without vanilla's level fuckery)? I feel like I dug myself into a bit of a hole trying to explore everything in the tutorial before moving on, because I'm only about 20% through it and my resources have gone no where but down.

I've found swords but they are all around 60% condition or less which really hurts their damage. Long-term it seems to me that using a poor condition sword is a really bad idea. Presumably if you use a sword from 100% to 70% you get x number of swings and if you instead use it from 60% to 30% you also get x number of swings but less overall damage (since damage goes down with durability). So using any sword in a low-durability state would seem to be inefficient.

It takes your money for contracts? Sounds like a story mode mod.

Those are 12th century rates for monster slaying.

Kind of makes sense what with how Witchers always demand payment for work.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This mod you're using sounds balanced for story, not at all for contracts and exploration. Geralt's supposed to pay his way by doing contracts; if there's no money in that, the mod is wrong. If you can adjust so the story pays nothing and the contracts do, then you might have a winner.

Where do you get money early game? Unless I'm supposed to rush to end the tutorial and get 1000s of orens per quest in chapter 1, I don't see how I can keep my blades in good condition. My other option involves beating 90% of encounters with Igni.
What? No, it's really not that big of a issue. I completed the tutorial and did a ton of exploration too.

I think I may have swapped out my weapon once or twice and used a repair kit or two. Not sure I even had to repair my weapon until the tutorial was over.
Long-term it seems to me that using a poor condition sword is a really bad idea.
Don't worry about long term. Just get through the tutorial and then you'll have more swords than you know what to do with. Twitcher 3 is still packed with weapons.
So using any sword in a low-durability state would seem to be inefficient.
Then plan ahead and bring plenty of repair kits.

I learned this the hard way on the first Ciri tracking quest when I found out that the mod gives hounds of the wild hunt a crazy high regen rate.

Also, I learned to make sure I correctly mapped the attack options the mod adds to the game to my keyboard.
Geralt's supposed to pay his way by doing contracts; if there's no money in that, the mod is wrong.
There's plenty of money in contracts. The guy who hires you for the well quest is just poor. The mod lets you get up to a 70% boost with haggling, though it's randomized, so about 30% more on average.

If you can adjust so the story pays nothing and the contracts do, then you might have a winner.
If you want, you can access the mod menu and just change the repair cost modifier under lore friendly witcher economy.

Or the quest gold reward multiplier under W3EE.

Almost everything from item durability to monster HP is customizable.

I think I may have swapped out my weapon once or twice and used a repair kit or two. Not sure I even had to repair my weapon until the tutorial was over.

Wat. Then that's totally different from my experience, because my silver sword was at around 85% or so just from the opening fight with the 4 ghouls.

Though, reading the mod info, it seems to suggest that the silver sword should be used much more sparingly. "rarely need to use your silver sword anymore", so I should only be using silver on ghosts and bosses and such and the steel sword is for all of the mundane monsters? Guess I should restart and see how it goes with that.

EDIT: Well look at that, 99% on the steel. Guess that solves everything.

BTW, neat trick I've found: Use Long-ranged attacks in close range to dance around enemies. You can still direct the attack into the enemy and keep them semi-stunlocked while evading their response attacks. Actually, I'm not sure why dodge exists, aren't invincibility frames gone? Long ranged attacks cost less stamina than dodges.

Last edited:

Wat. Then that's totally different from my experience, because my silver sword was at around 85% or so just from the opening fight with the 4 ghouls.
No, I mean repair it at a crafter. Like I said, I used repair kits and swapped swords.

Aren't repair kits really awful in terms of repair:cost? I thought they were in vanilla at least.

Can't really swap swords when all the ones you find are at low durability already.

Aren't repair kits really awful in terms of repair:cost? I thought they were in vanilla at least.
They can get expensive. You can find them for free though, which is why they're a technically cheaper option.
Can't really swap swords when all the ones you find are at low durability already.
Low is better than zero and not all of them are expensive to repair iirc.

Being a perfectionist and spending a lot of cash vs rolling with the punches. Choose.

Btw, I am by no means an expert. There may be other ways around this in the readme docs etc.

But like I said, worst comes to worst, you can just modify the repair cost or the quest reward amounts.

Positioning. For example, if you dodge backward FROM A DISTANCE right when a ghoul lunges, you avoid all damage and the ghoul is open for attack.

But you can just long-range attack backwards to avoid all damage. Or long-range to lunge forward past the ghoul and smack it's ass.

Honestly you can just walk backwards to avoid 90% of lunges.

In my experience with the AI, especially for creatures like ghouls, walking backwards just triggers the lunges. Seems like walk speed is just slightly slower than a lot of monsters too. Could be wrong though. Need to make some time to finish my playthrough of this mod.

Lunges are the easiest attacks to parry properly IMO, baiting them out either to parry or to avoid and counter is one of the best tactics for 1v1 or 2v1. It's the close range attacks that come out so quickly that you can't react well. Best way to handle groups is Igni + bombs IMO since otherwise they all get close and you end up blocking forever.

How do you deal with big monsters whose attacks can't be parried? The Griffin's lunge attack was completely unavoidable as far as I could tell, sprinting backwards or side to side didn't get out of it's charge and rolls have no invincibility frames. It pretty much took off 75% of my health whenever it did that move so I sort of just let Vessimir handle 90% of the fight.

Also I have to complain a bit about the leveling system. Level by use is OK but it's too specific. Getting points in the sword/magic/potion groups for doing sword/magic/potion stuff would be good, but breaking it down by specific field is way too strict. e.g. Aard is basically useless until you level Shock Wave but you have to use it to level Shock Wave, gotta spam Axii in battle a bit in order to use it in conversations. I don't know if the crossbow would be useful if leveled up and I'll probably never find out because using it unleveled is clearly useless and costs a ton of money for bolts.

How do you deal with big monsters whose attacks can't be parried?
A mix of quen and just being sure to stay out of its way when a lunge is about to come. It's weird, I've seen a lot of people complain about the griffin, but it wasn't an issue for me. You also need to try to only attack certain creatures from certain angles.

Also I have to complain a bit about the leveling system. Level by use is OK but it's too specific. Getting points in the sword/magic/potion groups for doing sword/magic/potion stuff would be good, but breaking it down by specific field is way too strict. e.g. Aard is basically useless until you level Shock Wave but you have to use it to level Shock Wave, gotta spam Axii in battle a bit in order to use it in conversations. I don't know if the crossbow would be useful if leveled up and I'll probably never find out because using it unleveled is clearly useless and costs a ton of money for bolts.
I agree with this. I'm not a fan of level by use systems in general. But then I didn't like the default leveling system much either.

Does Quen do enough against big monsters? Since it's armor I assumed it was only effective against numerous small attacks. Armor is just damage reduction in W3, right?

Problem with the Griffin was that it had mad tracking on the lunge, I could be sprinting in a circle around the thing and it would track till the moment of executing the lunge. Puts Dark Souls 2 enemies to shame.

Quen helps. It won't solve all your problems, but it will give you a reprieve when you slip up.

Again, the griffin is all about positioning. You can also use aard.

This video is pretty much everything you need to know about the mod. 3:34 explains the griffon.
(For the autistic haters, the part about the sliders at the start is a joke.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Currently trying it.

Is there any way to disable Parrying Monsters?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom