Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Walking simulators aka "Notgame" Thread

Ringhausen

Augur
Edith Finch is definitely the flashiest walking sim that's most like a movie, but I didn't like it at all. It wasn't relaxing or create any sense of intrigue like the better ones.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
9 is a downgrade from Gone Home's perfect 10/10.

Even though they diligently stuck with their winning "not game" formula.

Tacoma isn't for everyone. Though short, it's meditative and methodical. It's a game for the quiet explorer and the empathetic. There's no major action or combat, no perplexing puzzles or fail states. Instead, Tacoma gives players a masterfully crafted setting and encourages them to find out what made the people who once called it home tick. Life, even among the stars, can be mundane and familiar but Tacoma's presentation is nothing short of spectacular.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
How about something that's both full length and high quality? The only way you can make a game that short is by having dead simple gameplay. Maybe if the story or the art was AMAZING it would make it a worthwhile 2 hours, but let's be honest, it won't be. Somehow the quality never seems to benefit in these games that trade off so much quantity.

Heretic

Cipher
Tacoma sold only 3.000 copies on Steam so far and it has 121 reviews after 2 days
Gone Home sold over 600.000
Edith Finch around 65.000
Scanner Sombre lies at 9.000 and the devs said it "bombed in a big way"

Bye bye, Fullbright.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Didn't their comrades in the press do enough shilling or did people grow wiser or did just no one, including themselves, really care?

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm sympathetic toward art games and walking sims. They're a bit like a digital hike. The most recent I played is Rime, which shamelessly courts fans of Team Ico. Gameplay is unsurprisingly thin; you progress leisurely through set pieces and Zelda-tier puzzles. Climbing delivers a sense of vertigo, but you can't die, so there's no real tension. The first stage is visually reminiscent of Wind Waker, but each has its own thing going on--hamfistedly named after the stages of grief. Way to spoil your own game, Tequila Works. But that didn't stop me from crying like a little bitch at the end. Took me about six hours, meandering and taking in the sights. It just ekes out above a neutral rating. Wait for a sale though, if you're interested.

we1cmbg.png

Explorerbc

Arcane
When Gone Home was released it was the golden age of indies and every gaming website was praising it. I didn't even know what kind of game it was, I thought it was a horror adventure like amnesia or something. I played it through a shared library and I was like "wtf, this thing was a top seller at 20$ ?"

The days of hype for crap like this are long gone. People either tried it and didn't llike it, or had enough to satisfy their curiosity and moved on. At first I was interested in this because I like hard sci-fi but the moment I saw who the devs are I knew it wasn't my cup of tea.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Without you, will the forest still come alive?

Shape of the World
is an exploration game where a rich and colorful world grows around you, a relaxing and interactive escape about getting yourself pleasantly lost. Your presence is the driving force behind the procedurally populated environment as you establish permanent monuments to mark your journey.

Game Features

First-person explorer:

Wander in relaxing and surreal environments that beckon you to explore, hinting at distant landmarks and encouraging you to delve deeper into the woods. Amble, swim, drift and fly at your own pace: no ticking clock or perils laying in wait will prevent you from enjoying your journey here.

Play with an organic and mysterious ecosystem:
Interact with graceful animals, ephemeral flora, and intriguing monoliths. Your actions will alter the world you discover in vibrant and unexpected ways, leaving you wondering what will happen with each path you forge and every hollow you stumble upon.

Procedural population:
The forest only materializes around you when you get close, and it regrows in a new way each time you pass. The game features a graphically compelling procedurally generated environment that shifts continually. What will you find when you retrace your steps?

A dynamic soundtrack that responds to the player’s travels:
The audio shifts along with the visuals, providing an enveloping aural experienceto match your psychedelic journey and amplify your immersion.

Ringhausen

Augur
Played Tacoma. All the characters are either highly ethnic, obese or gay - or a combination of thereof. And the few men are indecisive and useless while the chicks get things done. Good stuff. :cool:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_9b5206fde9a0002a80b9eb83532e3310631f51e5.600x338.jpg

ss_d83771d123d63e317c2aa47d681387c5d4287485.600x338.jpg

The Museum of Dubious Splendors is half a storybook and half an exploration game.

It is a collection of folklore and oral tales, punctuated by peculiar rooms, that you wander through.

These tales, have been recreated from a collection of stories by Mir UmarHassan, a Gujarati poet whose works have proven notoriously difficult to translate because of the mellifluous use of Urdu and Hindi in his compositions.

The collection, entitled "in Dubious Splendor", was written (in Gujarati) in nineteen sixty two for the Malwa Chronicle, but the stories therein were mangled and edited without the author's permission prior to their publication in serialized form.

This contested collection of stories, became momentarily infamous as the subject of the first court case to arbitrate authorial ownership in Independent India.

Even today, despite countless restorative efforts by scholars, it cannot be said with with any certainty that the text that we used for this adaptation was the original as written by UmarHassan.

ss_75578db0d8314e372a752a26b6432bca54d03d9c.600x338.jpg

ss_698996dcb0e14ba65cb4a3768320a15210b8fab8.600x338.jpg

Under A Porcelain Sun is a narrative driven, first person adventure game.

Set in surreal Colonial India it chronicles the journey of two itinerant thieves, Aziz and Azaam, as they get embroiled in the search for a mythical city called Kayamgadh, and in the mysterious death of RumalChand Kedru.

Travel through nineteenth century Malwa, as you encounter salt bandits and brass astronomers; Armies of langoors who all know a secret and decadent Magistrates living in castles of glue;
Wax people who melt at noon everyday, only to emerge as different people and Gemstone merchants who live in wells. Mendicants and Jagirdars made of smoke
and all manner of strange citizenry that wander the desolate Bhula region. All the while attempting to flee soldiers from the Gwalior cantonment who are searching for you, for having peddled forgeries to their Company commander.

Explore a strange and decadent region abandoned after the Bhir rebellion, and play through an absurd revision of Colonial history, while jumping through characters and time and stories in bewildering multitude.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_edd85454f11b0819b020d24708d71d244b70e4cb.600x338.jpg

ss_09543c09d670d64c33d5797953ae95d511441694.600x338.jpg

A first-person narrative adventure game about exploring a cult compound in the remote New Mexico desert. Discover the lives of the former inhabitants -- what brought them together, what they believed, and why they ended it all.

I think everybody's gone to the rapture, or home, buddy.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just played Firewatch. Couldn't put it down. Super engaging story, sympathetic characters, and a nice mystery that never devolves into science fiction or the supernatural. Conversation options are very organic and there are some fascinating repercussions to certain choices, despite naysayers' claims that nothing means anything. Minimal gameplay mostly related to navigation. On Steam sale for $5 right now - if you're at all interested, grab it.

ortucis

Prophet
glad this fad died faster than i was able to respond to it.

It isn't dead. Gamers just want more than what they already got while the developers have failed to evolve their craft.

Gamers want "better" walking sims, but the developers still haven't figured out how to go beyond shit like Firewatch, without adding more gameplay.. and gameplay means, they actually need to be talented enough to add that shit.

Those Who Remain is a psychological thriller that takes place in Dormont, a small town in the US. Dormont appears to be a regular and typical American town at first glance, but it is however cursed by a demon who shrouded everything in darkness.

Most of Dormont’s population has been trapped inside the darkness, with no means of escape.

Edward Turner is just an ordinary man with a troubled past, who arrives in the wrong place at the wrong time. But he soon finds out that something is very wrong in Dormont.

There are strange creatures roaming in the dark, killing everyone that gets close. The only way to survive is by staying in the light.

The danger in the dark is not the only thing at play in Dormont.

There are strange portals that emanate a bright light, that seem to bring anyone that goes through them to another place, similar yet different, apparently unreal but very real.

Actions taken in one place have repercussions in the other.

http://www.thosewhoremain.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom