Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Thunder : WoP - simmers wet dream

bert

Arcane
http://warthunder.com/en/news/384-Developers-Diaries-Ground-Forces-Damage-Model-Part-1-en

Currently tank can be destroyed if :

Ammo rack is destroyed - it can be destroyed by several hits or one hit with a very high damage - usually it means that the shell sill has high penetration capacity after penetrating the armor. In this case there is a high chance of ammo rack explosion - 90% and more.

fuel tank is destroyed - the conditions are same as above, also fire is possible if the hit brought less damage fire also causes destruction of the tank.

Engine destroyed - the terms are the same, but explosion is not possible, only fire may occur

Besides that there are several conditions when several important modules are destroyed.:

• tank crew is wounded, no visual effects
  • engine/transmission and breach part of a gun are destroyed. Visual effect - fire.

For running gear only tracks are critical, when they are destroyed tank remains immobile for a period of time.

Also there are certain penalties when following modules or crew members are damaged.

• Engine - reduces power
  • Transmission - max speed is reduced
  • Train drive - rotation is slower, if train drive is destroyed turret cannot rotate.
  • Gun elevation mechanism - partial damage - lowers gun elevation speed. Destruction - blocks the ability of gun's vertical movement
  • Gunner wounded - guidance speed and accuracy are reduced
  • Loader - reloading time is increased
  • Driver - slower reaction while driving
Damage model improvements in progress:
  • Crew damage model improvements, temporary penalties on certain functions (like killing a driver will cause the vehicle to stop for some time). Crew replacement system
  • Weapon damage model detalization (shell self-explosions inside the breech of a damaged weapon, impossibility of shooting in case of damage to the breech part of the cannon etc.)
  • Tank machine guns
  • Modifications from the ‘defence’ category are being improved for their effects to become more vivid.
  • Tank fire extinguishers are being implemented
  • Armour protection modifiers depending on its type (rolled or cast steel, medium or high hardness etc.)
  • Structural differences in shell types (caps, shapes etc.) and corresponding differences in ricochet angles, ballistics, normalization etc.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/387-Developers-Diaries-Ground-Forces-Damage-Model-Part-2-en

2.jpg
4.jpg

White line is shell’s motion vector (bottom left corner), yellow dot - a place where shell hit the armor, light blue lines - cone of armour shards. Tail fuse of the shell went off and the shel detonated approximately in the center of the fighting compartment. Yellow circle is HE damage radius, green sphere is fragmentation damage radius. Red traces from the center of the explosion - fragments that hit vital modules.

Also screenshot shows silhouettes of the significantly damaged modules - breech part of the gun and crew members(red boxes), turret ring engine and ammo rack - green boxes . Crew members were critically hit and are knocked out. Tank combat efficiency is significantly reduced but it is not yet destroyed since one of the crew members is still alive. Now let’s make a second shot.

Second shell also hit the front armour, penetrated it and exploded inside - tank is destroyed.
Nice knowing you World of Tanks :dance:

There was stream which just ended. You can watch it here: http://www.twitch.tv/warthunder/b/490335842
Lots of tank footage. Interesting thing is that different weight classes seem to be balanced with number of uses per battle. Mighty KV can be used only once, while T-34 has 3 lives. I'm not sure how much it will help considering that at some point you will have more tanks than you can use in a single battle, not to mention planes. Also Flakpanzer (ghost crew though).

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Meow. If anyone of you interested in making tons of RP for Americans (Still lookin' for a similiar RP pond for other nations) but don't really know how:
1) Buy steam pack with NA mustang (cheapest steam pack, and it's often on discount) and 14 days premium.
2) GRIND the hell out of the event called "Guardian Angel" defending at the B17 level. A lot of 410, 109 and 190 will come into your line of fire, so just make sure to grab the kills and defend B17's.
3) profit. I unlocked P51 D-5 + around 100k on f8f-1b in 3-4hours. Moreover, it was pretty fun fighting there, as you don't need to fly for 10 minutes to actually engage someone. Games are pretty fast and enjoyable.
s4x44y.jpg

2itis15.jpg

n5lcu0.jpg

In my worst game I had around +1,5k and it was only ONE assist + my death. Most of the time I was earning 5-9k RP. Not mentioning LOTS of lions.

I also tried this on germans, but they are pretty tough in this event if people won't go for B17's. You can earn some lions and RP for another plane, but it ain't that impressive like with yanks.

I heard Yer-2 base bombing in arcade is good (to the point where it ruined tier 3 for pretty much everyone who isn't doing it).

:what:

Really? Couldn't they use actual game footage that looks way better than this crap? Not to mention "DISTROY ENEMY TANK".

For something different: partial NDA lift on Ground Forces that doesn't let you portray game in ANY negative way or tell ANYTHING negative about it. Looks like Gajin got scared of WoT 2014 video and were desperate for some kind of response...

SmartCheetah

Arcane
That AD is just... sad.
From what I've seen so far, ground forces are...Well, pretty shallow? Seriously, it's overhyped piece of nothing special, but it might be the matter of arcade mode. I totally dislike the fact it is so easy to shot an aircraft with a tank. What were they thinking, implementing the lead target for those? >.> Even with Open Beta, I would probably wait for "realistic battles" mode, as I can't stand such bullshit. And those "FPS" like maps full of everything, sigh.

Destroid

Arcane
Lot's of fun playing this and the quite bad latency really doesn't matter much at all. Got a few tier 2 planes now, but I doubt I'll sink the time to go further than that.

Looks pretty nice. Not a fan of names showing up before you can actually see anything. I hope it was case of begin spotted by teammates.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Aye, that looks better and better. Now they gotta change the disappearing wrecks thing and implement more "realistic" maps without all those canyons and stuff.

Pay to get in. AFAIK it is on only like 2 days in week or something like that. Most people are guessing something around summer for open beta release but that isn't exactly reliable source.

yeye

Augur
No one actually lives on the southern hemisphere, rich people just go there over the winter.

SmartCheetah

Arcane

New patch 1,39. Vampire FM still ain't fixed, but other than that - pretty kool changes.

Also, If you want to know something about tanks, feel free to ask. I got access to CBT for some time now.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Only thing I want to know on that front is if the tanks are less arcadey feeling than World of Tanks. If it feels similar to WoT, then I'll probably pass.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yeah, they are. There are still problems with physics (tanks behave in weird ways sometimes, flipping over on little obstacles and stuff) but the whole game overall is way different than WoT. You got no health bars et cetera. Three modes (arcade, realistic and simulator) and a lot of situations in which you can pretty much one-shot people with a well aimed shell. I'm mostly playing realistic and simulator battles, and they are a lot of fun. Havent tried arcade.

The only thing (not counting bugs and unfinished content) that drives me mad is an artillery. First of all, people just spam it. Second of all, implementation of artillery is...retarded? Every light tank can use it, and it works like... Well, like you're sending a drone and targeting an area with a reticule. Which is fine in theory, but in practice, you can use that freaking view to check behind obstacles etc. - that just doesnt work like it should. Especially with realistic and simulator modes.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Oof, that sounds weird and oddly implemented. Not a fan of that. I really really like doing the historic/realistic air battles in this game. They are a ton of fun and stressful(in a good way). The flight model is not bad for this type of game either. If that can mostly extend to land warfare then it should at least be fun. That artillery mechanic though....... :?

Unwanted

Bricks

Unwanted
Tried this at a friends. The simulator mode. Olololol. Planes are more stable than the fucking mount Everest. Its hilarious. You can tear the plane around with the rear rudder and it wobbles like crazy in the rear but its nose is like glued to an invisible stick. Simulation my ass.
IL2 or bust. When lifting off is a challenge, we'll talk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom