Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Thunder : WoP - simmers wet dream

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Don't think anybody should go in expecting IL-2 or even close. Accessible, free multiplayer with varied maps and missions and the promise of combined arms though......? I'll take that with basic flight models that can rip your wings off if you dive too fast, and be happy.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
IL2 is a game of choice for real simmers. This game is overly simplistic in all the modes, compared to aforementioned. Still, a lot of fun.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Well, fucking russians ain't lazy anymore. We've got a patch tomorrow. Nothing really big except few planes(No Seafire and Horten yet :c), optimalization, BR(Matchmaking) changes and TONKS open beta (Not sure if it's gonna start right after the patch, or some time after)

EDIT:
Today, May 15th, War Thunder Ground Forces go into Open Beta thus becoming available for everyone to play. The tank part of the game is still considered in development, but without a large-scale testing it would be very difficult for us to move forward and deliver you the best experience possible. We are going to implement many major features (such as multiple controllable turrets), new locations and, of course, many new vehicles in the future updates. Bug fixing is also an integral part of game development, and we will appreciate you helping us to improve War Thunder by reporting any bugs you find on this special sub-forum.

Also, since experienced War Thunder pilots already have access to a multitude of high-level aircraft, while tank progression starts for everyone from scratch, “tanks vs planes” battles have been temporarily disabled. When a substantial number of tank players reaches high ranks in Ground Forces, we will bring the combined missions back to the rotation.

See you on the battlefield!

The War Thunder Team

Therefore, you can play tanks and there won't be any wipe at all.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finally gave War Thunder a try.

First air battle: 2 kills, died to a collision.
First tank battle: 2 kills, one TK and died to a fire.

Ground Forces is different, I can say that. The handling for the tanks seems a bit... wonky and I can't say I like the UI for aiming and IFF. I seriously ended up TK:ing someone 'cuz I couldn't tell his tank from the enemy tank (the were buttfucking each other...)

Any Kodexian Konklusions about GF, is it worth grinding?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Finally gave War Thunder a try.

First air battle: 2 kills, died to a collision.
First tank battle: 2 kills, one TK and died to a fire.

Ground Forces is different, I can say that. The handling for the tanks seems a bit... wonky and I can't say I like the UI for aiming and IFF. I seriously ended up TK:ing someone 'cuz I couldn't tell his tank from the enemy tank (the were buttfucking each other...)

Any Kodexian Konklusions about GF, is it worth grinding?

It's a lot of fun in simulator battles, except the total lack of balance in early tiers. Seriously, someone who worked on T34 variants was out of his mind. This thing got magic shells which always hit your ammo load. Sloped armor is also doing miracles, especially against tier I german tanks.

There are still a lot of bugs, some of them pretty gamebreaking. Artillery, which is spammed million times per game and used in modes like realistic/simulator to "check for enemies" with use of stupid drone. Another one is red enemy dots on minimap in simulator, which is stupid. Ok, you don't have a name tag, but for some reason you can see enemies on minimap -,- Another problem is "if you want to play the higher tier, unlock 6 vehicles from current one" - WAT? So basicly I need to unlock every german tank to get access to higher tier. That's fucked up.

Personally, I'm more sold to air battles. After all I'm in one of the most successful realistic battles squadron(currently first place in the ladder) but I think it's just a matter of time ground forces will be very playable as well.
Plus, take in mind that grinding now can save you time in the future. They will obviously introduce more tanks in between current models.

Destroid

Arcane
There are still a lot of bugs, some of them pretty gamebreaking. Artillery, which is spammed million times per game and used in modes like realistic/simulator to "check for enemies" with use of stupid drone. Another one is red enemy dots on minimap in simulator, which is stupid. Ok, you don't have a name tag, but for some reason you can see enemies on minimap -,- Another problem is "if you want to play the higher tier, unlock 6 vehicles from current one" - WAT? So basicly I need to unlock every german tank to get access to higher tier. That's fucked up.

Probably they should use a mechanic like BF2 where you stick your reticle over an enemy and hit a button to 'spot' them, which reports their position and makes them appear on your allies minimaps.

I tried a couple of rounds and it felt pretty shitty compared to WoT, but I was only driving the starter tanks.

My first impressions (haven't dived into "simulator" mode yet) are positive in general.

KV is piece of shit (for all the right reasons tho). While armor holds up very well lack of mobility is it's downfall. You are pretty vulnerable to arty and despite begin nearly impossible to kill by cannon of anything that isn't Pz. IV F2 and Stug with same gun and some Pz III I guess (which becomes very big problem once you venture outside arcade and face only german tanks). Few accurate shots will render KV useless, destroy both tracks, damage turret ring, and it's just sitting there unable to return fire and waiting for inevitable arty barrage, repairing just isn't as easy as in WoT. T-34 is no brainer in comparison, pretty fast, same gun, armor is pretty good anyway, you get 2 activations and also get to call in arty, also better matchmaking. Only purpose for KV I see is money making. Frankly I'm thinking about switching to Germans.

This thing got magic shells which always hit your ammo load.
APHE rounds. Pretty satisfying to use. One good pen in right place and turret flies off. Honestly, only redeeming feature of KV.
I tried a couple of rounds and it felt pretty shitty compared to WoT, but I was only driving the starter tanks.
Ok, that's just plain wrong. While WT isn't anywhere near perfect I don't understand how WoT is supposed to be better. Personally I don't find lobbing shells repeatedly into one spot I identified as most reliable to pen (like commanders cupola, apparently very vital structural component of a tank) until opponent's HP bar goes to 0. Not to mention how WT gives you choice of different types of ammo (pen values aren't only difference) you don't have to buy with real $. I also find WoT unlock system horrible, especially compared to WT. If you don't like particular tank you don't have to grind on it. You can unlock tanks on tech tree with whatever you want. Also you don't have to grind upgrades like "historically accurate" 100mm gun on T-34-85 and such to make your tank actually usable.

Destroid

Arcane
I've played it a bit more, it's shame that trying to get into any game type other than arcade takes forever. The arty can get ridiculous (especially on capture points), as it's ability to let you look around corners.

Stug is love.

Finally tried T-34. Holy shit that thing is OP. In 2 games so far I have K/D of 9/0. Actually every single shot fired at me bounced. You just form small blob of T-34's and roll over enemy team. They really need to work a bit on MM. T-34 1940 is too low, KV is too high (though I understand why, Tier 1 Germans simply can't pen this thing reliably). On the other hand T2 seems to be dominated by Germans and L43, not as hard as soviets in T1, but still.

Destroid

Arcane
Why would the L/43 dominate? The T-34/KV-1 should reliably pen the stug and pz4 just as readily as it is penned in turn. Just as in WoT, tanks with heavy armour really shine when you get MM at the top.

What do people think of the round choices? I presume APCR has some sort of damage penalty due to it's low shell weight and no HE charge to trade off it's stronger penetration?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yeah, If I were you I would load it differently on every map. Kursk is great for APCR, as most of the fights takes place on longer distances, so you probably won't pen with standard shells. That's where APCR shines. Ash river ain't bad for 1/2 ratio as well.
Still, don't try to fight with APCR on low distances. It's just a waste of precious time. In my stug, I was easily able to 1HK T-34 with standard ammunition, while APCR killed 'em in 2-4 hits.

Too bad we still have those "arcady" maps like Karelia or Kuban in simulator mode. I hope they will eventually get rid of them.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
122mm derp.

rejoice.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So a bro finally talked me into playing this now that everyone can into tanks. I beelined straight for my precious.

ikfVoxH.jpg

:love:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
There are some fine things going on in so called "Summertime madness"
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/164504-special-summertime-madness/
You can earn quite a lot of premium machines (The 2-3 era tanks were given for 90 tanks destroyed which is easily achiavable on arcade mode in like 2hours). there are discounts, x4 first victories, x2 every battle events and Golden Battles with basicly free GE (Not so hard to win those 10games)

I'm pretty hyped about abillity to score free premium Jagdpanther and Su-122. Gotta try to get them both, as it improves the grinding by a lot. Tier 4 premiums are basicly the best if your endgame is to get tier 3-4-5 machines (which means 100% RP rate)
Expect something like 300 kills to get one of those tho'

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oneshotting KV1 in a StuG is heavan after the WoT HP bloat game. A single shot to side/reat of turret with HEAT will pop it nicely :3

[edit]

Got the free Pz3 Ausf. N premium tank for the kill 90 people in Glorious Deutchland tank event. First match I play, I end up getting 5 kills, 4 assists, 2 caps and 0 deaths. I think I'm in love.

Last edited:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Today's event is ridiculous. Just yesterday we had a massive shitstorm on official boards, with like 98% of people laughing at devs and saying that they cant be serious.
Doing simple math, it seems that if you want to have 100% chance for a premium tier 2 aircraft, you gotta spend... 40-50 hours in game, this week. Russians are terrible at designing, seriously.

I'm seriously afraid the "tier4" vehicle event will be even more absurd.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
After several attempts, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like this game. (GF)

On paper it does many things right, but in practice it is just simply shitty. UI is horrible with unreadable texts, the fights devolve into brainless rushes. And high tier tanks keep one-shotting me in cover, from ~1 km away. Low tier TD's are horrible to play since you can't effectively flank in most of the maps. Seriously, I'm playing a TD that can't even pen a T-34-85 rear... and get thrown against Tigers and IS's...

overtenemy

Augur
http://www.graviteam.com/games/steel-fury-kharkov1942.html

I like that company alot for Achtung Panzer, but Steel Fury is definitely rough around the edges.

http://www.graviteam.com/games/SABOW.html

Not WWII, but an underused setting that might grab your attention. I didn't play it much (will maybe fix that soon) but it's definitely better than Steel Fury. In addition to the tank simluation, it has the turn based company phase of Achtung Panzer and more control on the battlefield itself.

There were a couple other shitty ones, like Tiger vs T-34. Nothing comes to my mind worth mentioning though.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
DCS is amazing. Can't wait for that WW II stuff. And yeah - War Thunder is typical "free2play" MMO game with streamlined features. They don't give a shit about simmers, to be honest. "Simulator battles" are easily playable with mouse, and basicly the only thing different from realistic (except only-cockpit view) is that you need to ignite your engine (with one button, lel)

But if you're looking for some kind of relaxed experience, both simulator and realistic battles are pretty fun to play (at least in terms of aircraft. Tanks are still in shitty state) - problem is that you got to grind for ages to get some kind of nice machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom