Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warcraft Adventures Unreleased Beta - Actually got released!

Reidor

Educated
belated interest story :)

Reidor

Educated
After 18 years of waiting, project Warcraft Adventures cancelled Blizzard in 1998 year, finally released!

This is full pre-released version witn in-game cinematics + interest txt docs.

This is my gift for all Blizzard fans, old and new.

DOWNLOAD: http://bit.ly/2cpwa7r

If you want say thanks, PayPal - Reidorr@mail.ru

P.S. Hope sometime appears Starcraft: Ghost :)

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:russiastronk::russiastronk::russiastronk:

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Didn't think anyone would pay for this, let alone the russian dude actually keeping his word, nice to feel proven wrong though.

There's massive amounts of Blizz work during that period that got buried, which probably would have been released elsewhere. This is well and truly pre-WoW, when Blizz were still laughing through their diamond-encrusted PC monitors as all their competitors abandoned the PC gaming field.

What's surprising about this is how small they were dreaming with it. C/f WC3 alpha and pre-alpha - 7 races (undead, demons, orcs, humans, elves, narga, trolls, dwarfs) each waith their own campaign, persistent massive world instead of a new map each mission, so your early missions will be building/consolidating stuff that will be your rear-guard or home base later, while the persistent world thing means that your front lines have to keep moving outward campaign or no because gold mines/trees are finite.

It surprised nobody that they cut it down to a fairly conventional RTS + heroes, albeit with some highly distinctive mechanics (semi rpg mechanics, levelling, heavy emphasis on reconnaissance, differences in maneouverability and pace v fighting ability (can't think of many previous - or later - rts games where some races can't win a standing fight but have superior ability to harass with hit+runs). Just balancing those factors is hard enough, the original plan was insane.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, I remember seeing some screenshots of a Blizzard sf turnbased squad game where you fought as a group of mercs. Probably in either pc gamer of pc format. Looked awesome really, which is why I remembered it. Never heard anything about it later on.

Anyway, amazing that they threw away the Warcraft Adventures. By their own admission it really wasn't bad. Simply a 90's adventure and they felt those where dated and therefore it should be ditched. Believe I read that in some piece on kotaku awhile back. Bizarre attitude really. Anyway, I'm having fun with this game. Glad to see it come back from the grave.

Now I've got some inkling of hope that Simtex's (of Master of Orion 1 and 2 and Master of Magic fame) Mech Lords/Metal Lords will one day see the light. That just looked so awesome and these guys made amazing games at the time. Basically a mix between Dune, Battletech and Master of Magic. They bloody completed that one and even send review copies out before being hit by FASA's lawsuits and finally burying the game as they went bankrupt/where shut down. I'm sure it is in someone's cd-rom rack or in some HD somewhere. Perhaps one day...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The game isn't bad, but it's average as fuck. Very linear and easy, areas are small and mostly empty - there's very few interactive spots apart from key items -, and the plot and world aren't interesting AT ALL. They only matter if you know the lore and go "Ohh... it's Deathwing!" But even then, Deathwing is a dumb dragon smoking a narguile...

I think that's the true reason for Blizzard to shelving it. It took the WarCraft lore and turned it into Monkey Island. FFS, Zul'jin goes from troll war hero to a fucking Stan-like shopkeeper... after that, how can you ever go back to a more serious tone like Warcraft 3?

They probably finished StarCraft, entered into War3 pre-production and saw that releasing Lord of the Clans would severely limit what they could do with the setting.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Your description reminds me of these godawful cutscenes in the equally awful CDi Zelda games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom