Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Warcry reviews Legends of Aranna

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna

<a href=http://www.warcry.com>The Warcry News Network</a> have got their <a href=http://www.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_news.phtml?site=15&id=11533>review</a> of <a href=http://www.dungeonsiege.com>Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna</a> up. They just loved it, earning the game a <b>90%</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>With games of this magnitude, the developers have to walk a fine line between the amount of action and the amount of storyline. In NWN, I started skipping side quests in the final chapters because I was so freaking bored of storyline, and it just didn’t seem reasonable to me that a large group of really powerful Ogre Mages would spend time hijacking merchant caravans, and I was the only one that could help out. Conversely, in the original DS, I was aching for a little more storyline beyond “Look how the blood sprayed out of THAT Krug.”</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I'm sorry--NWN had <i>too many</i> sidequests? That's a new one.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>

slavemaster

Novice
Not hell, but you can smell it from down the stree
In between battles, you’re faced with the unenviable task of inventory management. To the developers’ credit, they’ve streamlined a lot of common tasks (like balancing out healing and mana potions, cleaning up the inventory for maximum space, etc). But I still find myself poring over each characters inventory space, trying to decide what I should keep and what I should Transmute. They’ve instituted auto-sell options for merchants, they should do the same for auto-drop options

I'd make some witty comment about that, but I'm just too fucking pissed off at how filthy the human gene pool has become.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Near the end of the game, I had started to completely forgo looking for treasure, knowing that I’d be spending yet more time smashing pots and barrels looking for the prime stuff. If I had to suggest only one thing to improve this game, it would be to opt for less one or two item treasure locations. Instead, I would provide the same amount of treasure, but more consolidated. Not only is it more rewarding to open a big chest full of stuff, but you don’t spend hours on end clicking and then re-clicking on a bunch of barrels in the corner of an otherwise empty room.

Yay! We get to mouse click and mouse click and then mouse click some more! Ohhhh, the excitement is sending shivers down my spine as I write this........ NOT! :roll:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, two games now. I just have to question this guy's definition of action, though. You move your guys near a monster, and they automatically fight it. You push a button, they all drink potions. You push another button, and they distribute potions. So, where's the action? You're basically watching. I think one of the big qualifications to action should be that you're at least active in it. Diablo 2 has action, DS doesn't.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, two games now. I just have to question this guy's definition of action, though. You move your guys near a monster, and they automatically fight it. You push a button, they all drink potions. You push another button, and they distribute potions. So, where's the action? You're basically watching. I think one of the big qualifications to action should be that you're at least active in it. Diablo 2 has action, DS doesn't.

Exactly. Which brings up what you had stated in an earlier post about a week ago. The game's just too damn automated. Felt more like a dumbed down RTS to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom