Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

Andhaira

Arcane
So, in case you didn't hear it's being developed by Cubicle 7. The same folks who did The One Ring, Lone Wolf Adventure Game (latest Magnamund RPG, is good) and some other stuffies like Victoriana 3e (which is sweet)

They are also doing that Cthulhu kickstarter where you play a cultist, and games workshop also foced them to do another wrhammer game based on their age of sigmar setting (their WFRP 4e is going to be in the old world, the setting of WFRP 1e ) so I hope they don't get fatigued by having so many hands in so many baskets.

Hopefully they will base it one the WFRP 2e ruleset with tweaks, like more talents and more spells, and take care of the starting whiff factor, and that's about it. It's a solid system. I would also like the option of remaining in a single career rather than having to branch out.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whfrp 1 & 2 were a giant cocktease. Here, have a brilliant magic system that fits the theme perfectly. Too bad you will be stuck with the same set of 8 spells forever, of which only one will ever be useful.
You like insanity? We do, too. Unfortunately, all our insanities are so extreme and unplayable that once you catch one, you might as well spend an extra life to remove it asap or just roll a new guy.
Career system sounded cool at first, but it is so incredibly rigid... Even monopoly has a more engaging character progression.

If it wasn't for the brilliant Enemy Within campaign, it would have rightfully taken the path of so many other GW stillborn products.

Andhaira

Arcane
If you're into WHFRP, you should check out Zweihander. I didn't back the Kickstarter, but picked up the rules set in a DriveThruRPG 'Deal of the Day' a couple of weeks ago, but what I've read of it, seems good and definitely has that 1e/2e vibe.

http://grimandperilous.com/what-is-zweihander/

Yeah I have it; got it offered for free from the devs actually (pdf only though). I've only skimmed but looks good and I like the idea; take the best elements of WFRP 2e, clean up the system to remove whiff factor, and remove the retarded fantasy elements like orcs, warp shit, elves, halflings etc so you can actually have a dark fantasy game with elements of madness and horror if you wish. I am not sure if they really succeeded in pulling it off, as it seems they copied too much form wfrp 2e, including the rigid spell lists right down to the actual spells as well as the concept of Winds of Magic, instead of being more creative and allowing more types of lower powered but fun/useful utility type spells. And their talent list also seems limited and wanting.

But again, I only skimmed, I hope its actually great.

Btw, Shadow of the Demon Lord is a great game; made by one of the designers and writers of WFRP2e (who also made a LOT of high profile pnp rpgs, including working on D&D3e) and a great system. Check it out if you haven't already.

nikolokolus

Arcane
If you're into WHFRP, you should check out Zweihander. I didn't back the Kickstarter, but picked up the rules set in a DriveThruRPG 'Deal of the Day' a couple of weeks ago, but what I've read of it, seems good and definitely has that 1e/2e vibe.

Yeah I have it; got it offered for free from the devs actually (pdf only though). I've only skimmed but looks good and I like the idea; take the best elements of WFRP 2e, clean up the system to remove whiff factor, and remove the retarded fantasy elements like orcs, warp shit, elves, halflings etc so you can actually have a dark fantasy game with elements of madness and horror if you wish. I am not sure if they really succeeded in pulling it off, as it seems they copied too much form wfrp 2e, including the rigid spell lists right down to the actual spells as well as the concept of Winds of Magic, instead of being more creative and allowing more types of lower powered but fun/useful utility type spells. And their talent list also seems limited and wanting.

Btw, Shadow of the Demon Lord is a great game; made by one of the designers and writers of WFRP2e (who also made a LOT of high profile pnp rpgs, including working on D&D3e) and a great system. Check it out if you haven't already.
If you like percentile based systems, that have a much more grounded feel that suit Alternate Earth settings, with at least a veneer of real-world dynamics, it might be worth taking a look at Cakebread & Walton's Renaissance or Clockwork & Chivalry. It's OpenQuest based, but pairs well with any of the other BRP/D100 systems if you're a tinkerer. The Alchemical and Witchcraft magic systems are really interesting and they are definitely more on the low-magic, utilitarian end of the spectrum vs. "magic as artillery."

SotDL wasn't my cup o' tea when I looked at the system, but the fluff was kind of interesting.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane

If you like percentile based systems, that have a much more grounded feel that suit Alternate Earth settings, with at least a veneer of real-world dynamics, then take it might be worth taking a look at Cakebread & Walton's Renaissance or Clockwork & Chivalry. It's OpenQuest based, but pairs well with any of the other BRP/D100 systems if you're a tinkerer. The Alchemical and Witchcraft magic systems are really interesting and they are definitely more on the low-magic, utilitarian end of the spectrum vs. "magic as artillery."

SotDL wasn't my cup o' tea when I looked at the system, but the fluff was kind of interesting.

I am not that much a fan of steampunk/victorian play rpgs, but Victoriana 3e (Cubicle 7) is actually the best system IMO. It's also the system that comes closest in pnp terms to Troika's Arcanum, and what I would use if ever running a game set in Arcanum

nikolokolus

Arcane
Renaissance/Clockwork & Chivalry is roughly set in the 30 years war, so not quite Victorian era, but whatever suits you.

Andhaira

Arcane
Coming in mid 2018:

WFRP-STARTER-Cover-1200-791x1024.jpg

WFRP-Corerules-Cover-1200-791x1024.jpg

We’ve been hard at work on the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and this week we’re going to be sharing the first big slices of news with you!
WFRP-4th-Logo-550.jpg

Release Date
There has been an amazing amount of excitement around Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition – we’re at the beginning of the journey but it’s already been a tremendous project thanks to the energy and enthusiasm of all the Warhammer fans we’ve been talking to since the project was announced. Thanks to you all for being awesome, and thanks for your patience waiting for news!

Design lead Dominic McDowall is on hand to tell us about the game’s development:

“The initial plan was to make some small updates to the awesome second edition, and that would mean we would be able to release the game in 2017. We’re all huge fans of the first and second editions of WFRP, and we wanted to take the game back to those roots.

“When I got into the guts of the game I started seeing more opportunities to add in some of the things we’ve learned over the years. This more creative direction meant a longer development phase. Games Workshop are extremely supportive of us taking the time we need to make WFRP Fourth Edition the very best game it can be, and so that’s what we did. I’m very excited about the way things have come together!

“The release date of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition will be set for mid-2018, with a specific date to be set in a few months. Thank you for your patience while we invest the time to make the best game we can.”

We have some exciting events planned around the release date, so stay tuned for the latest new on those!

Covers
The initial releases for WFRP Fourth Edition will be a core rulebook and a boxed starter set. We’ve commissioned Ralph Horsley to paint a pair of covers for these which we’re very excited to share today!

http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-fourth-edition-news/

Sounds and looks awesome. Especially how they originally intended to just make small updates 2e; they are on the right track. All they need is build and improve the 2e chassis, and change the magic system (2e underlying magic system is good, but each wizard is bound to a very few amount of spells in 1 restrictive theme, most of which end up either the same or not very useful)

Also they will be giving us Enemy Within Directors Cut:
Warhammer_Fantasy_Roleplay_First_Edition_ColourPlatesCover550.jpg

We’ve been working on bringing more of WFRP First Edition to PDF. We all love First Edition, and there’s just so much brilliant material that we want to make available in electronic format. The “colour plates” version of the WFRP 1st Edition core rulebook will go on sale this week!

Just like we did for the Hogshead Edition offered as part of the Humble Bundle, we’ve made a very crisp, clean, fully bookmarked PDF. It’s been a joy to revisit the game where our core team began their adventuring careers!

Fourth Edition design lead Dominic McDowall said, “WFRP First Edition was my first ever roleplaying game. Everyone working on the new edition has a deep well of affection for First Edition, and it’s great to be bringing it back!

“But we’re not stopping there. We’re creating some beautiful PDFs of the original WFRP super-campaign: the Enemy Within. Keep an eye on our newsletter, website and social media for more news!”

The Enemy Within – Director’s Cut
This brings us neatly round to yet another exciting piece of news. To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!

The mighty Graeme Davis has joined the team to steer this ship (or should that be river barge?). The Enemy Within was one of the best-loved RPG campaigns ever made, and we want to give the shiny new anniversary edition it deserves!

http://cubicle7.co.uk/more-warhammer-news-first-edition-and-the-enemy-within/

Andhaira

Arcane
So the original WHF setting is continued even though it doesn't exist anymore for the tabletop?

Yes, they are going back to The Old World setting of WFRP 1e; Black Industries wanted to do the same for 2e but GamesWorkshop insisted on tying their retarded mini story-line to the tabletop game, so 2e had to go the Storm of Chaos route. It was easily houseruled away though

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looks like a retro clone of their own system and 3e never happened.

Sadly Zweihänder will be DOA. They are pushing it hard and basically giving it away for free every few weeks, but I think a 600 pages rulebook is just too much to convince people to actually try the game.

Andhaira

Arcane

Sadly Zweihänder will be DOA. They are pushing it hard and basically giving it away for free every few weeks, but I think a 600 pages rulebook is just too much to convince people to actually try the game.

The target market (including myself) will still play it. I will eventually get around to getting a hardcopy as well, till then I am perusing the pdf bit by bit.

Yes WFRP 4e will put a damper on it, and the page count is indeed intimidating but keep in mind Zweihander has something else going for it wfrp will never have: It's not set in the wfrp world. So you don't have any assumptions built in, like elves and dwarves and the like. Its a great game to play a Black Company setting type of rpg, or A Song of Ice and Fire, or anything gritty and humanistic. My only real issue is they went with the wfrp 2e magic system of straightjacketed winds of magic and color colleges; one of my first houserules will be melding all the colleges into 1 (or groups of colleges) and allow PCs to choose any spells from the entire list.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The target market (including myself) will still play it. I will eventually get around to getting a hardcopy as well, till then I am perusing the pdf bit by bit.

Yes WFRP 4e will put a damper on it, and the page count is indeed intimidating but keep in mind Zweihander has something else going for it wfrp will never have: It's not set in the wfrp world. So you don't have any assumptions built in, like elves and dwarves and the like. Its a great game to play a Black Company setting type of rpg, or A Song of Ice and Fire, or anything gritty and humanistic. My only real issue is they went with the wfrp 2e magic system of straightjacketed winds of magic and color colleges; one of my first houserules will be melding all the colleges into 1 (or groups of colleges) and allow PCs to choose any spells from the entire list.
Don't you dare make wizards useful!

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
My only real issue is they went with the wfrp 2e magic system of straightjacketed winds of magic and color colleges; one of my first houserules will be melding all the colleges into 1 (or groups of colleges) and allow PCs to choose any spells from the entire list.
I don't know much about WFRP but wizards who can do anything was one of D&D's biggest mistakes. Forcing spellcasters to specialize is a good thing, because it means there might be situations where other party members can do something besides watching the wizard cast the spell that solves whatever the problem is.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
My only real issue is they went with the wfrp 2e magic system of straightjacketed winds of magic and color colleges; one of my first houserules will be melding all the colleges into 1 (or groups of colleges) and allow PCs to choose any spells from the entire list.
I don't know much about WFRP but wizards who can do anything was one of D&D's biggest mistakes. Forcing spellcasters to specialize is a good thing, because it means there might be situations where other party members can do something besides watching the wizard cast the spell that solves whatever the problem is.
Indeed. The problem is not that they are too narrow, but that for many of their spells, the risks massively outweight the benefits. Given the chances of things going wrong, many of their spells are very weak compared to just splitting skulls with a troll slayer.
Didn't the 40K manage to offer a better balance between warp events and power? I haven't played any of the 40K games, but the rules seemd to allow more control over the perils of the warp.

hivemind

I'm gonna get into GMing by probably running a 2e game starting in a few weeks

do you guys have any houserules or advice on running 2e?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I have not tested them, but some guy wrote house rules for the magic system here on rpgnet. They are inspired by Black Crusade, which sounds like a good thing.
Files are here and there.
Use at your own risk.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Lethality in 2e is not as high as the myth for Warhammer goes and players can become quite powerful in the end.

Lagi

Savant
http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-preview-combat/

+ no roll for initiative. I never see a reason to slow down the game with needless rolls. If clumsy character need to act sooner let he spend some "stamina" point.

- keep whiff factor = 30% whm. Why two equally poor warriors fighting each other can not have 50% chance to hit/miss each other?! Anyway players wear plot armor, so they could use some re-rolls maneuver, that minions will not use, f.ex. PC spend those extra move (second action) on defensive stance that reroll failed block, while orcs use their action for roaring, running in circle and staring at sky.

- patching whiff factor with "Advantage" token each +10 bonus.
if you perform well, you will snow ball +boons = power creep. if your opponents have better rolls, well then beg GM for rerolls to break their combo " I do roll and throw sand in his eyes while singing song to my god".

- accumulate Advantage if you own. Take disadvantage if you fight with scarier enemies.
THIS IS WRONG. So when i beat the shit out of preschoolers, gods grant me favor. But when I face serious thread apparently my 30% have to be cut even lower? woo much grim dark.

- resilience points - to counter advantage points
Can you just make rules where I fight with imaginary monster, instead making more taxes to track?

+ critical being activated before you scrap layer of hp. It create nice lethal menace even for healthy characters.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Almost all insanities from the core rulebook are pretty much a character's death sentence, if you apply them as written. Instead of adding another facet to the character and make for occasional dangerous situations, you only have the option to stick with the insanity and get your character (or even the whole group) ruined in no time, or you try to heal the insanity asap (and might get killed in the process anyways). Better come up with something on your own that makes playing the suffering character more interesting instead of him being a ticking time bomb with the counter in single digits.

Edit: Oops, kinda late response.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If 2e chars live too long, they become invincible. So better kill them early and often.

Andhaira

Arcane
Its a great game to play a Black Company setting type of rpg,
Why wouldn't you use the Black Company system by the way?

Well you certainly could, and it was a great sourcebook for the time. But I didn't like the freeform magic system (though I understand why they went that route); I prefer the career system of ZH better. But I suppose if you want to play in the BC world then you could just use the BC sourcebook, if you don't have anything against d20.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom