Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Online private server (Return of Reckoning)

A horse of course

[Public Quests]

Grunbag
- Hunting the Hunter (Ch 21 Chaos) removed several double spawn.
- Recompense (Ch 14 Dark Elf) is now fully operational !
- Ambush at Garrisonburg (Ch 20 Chaos) is now fully operational!
- Keeper's Watch (Ch 18 High Elfs) is now fully operational!
- Dragonwatch (Ch 18 High Elfs) is now fully operational!
- Blood Focus (Ch 19 High Elfs) is now fully operational !
- The Cliffs of Vaul (Ch 19 high Elfs) is now fully operational !
- Dominion of Khaine (Ch 19 High Elf) is now fully operational !
- Slayer Keep : Fixed Ungrim Ironfist appearance.

*All Chaos Waste destro PQ are now fully operational !
*All Praag destro PQ are now fully operational !
*All West Praag destro PQ are now fully operational !
*All Reikland destro PQ are now fully operational !

Hargrim
- Added functionality that allows counting multiple NPCs for the same stage of PQ. More work for DB team.

Aww yiss. The holy grail for me would be re-enabling the scripting and voice-acting that were part of the original quests and tied them into the main storyline.

Don Peste

Arcane
Let's go then.

K15FvoL.jpg

Don Peste

Arcane
You online now Donny?
I'm level 5 already!! Then the server shutdown for maintence...
So my buddy and I decided to try something else in the meantime. We are now downloading Neverwinter, D&D and LOTR... :lol:
Can you add me to friends? What do you have?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
You online now Donny?
I'm level 5 already!! Then the server shutdown for maintence...
So my buddy and I decided to try something else in the meantime. We are now downloading Neverwinter, D&D and LOTR... :lol:
Can you add me to friends? What do you have?
Hit me up here or at steam (same nickname) if/when you play DDO. I'm on Argonnessen server.

A horse of course

Finding friends can be a bit finnickity. Try Greefer when on Destro and Anovia on Order.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
DO NOT PLAY WITCH HUNTER
From their forum
Let's cut to the chase, we all know why we play Witch Hunters. No, it's not the abilty to get kited for hours with no escape.

It's the hats.

And the coats.
You're going to ragequit if you RVR with a Witch Hunter or a Witch Elf, because their "stealth" mechanic is awful in addition to being very short ranged glass cannons. The mechanic is the typical "go invisible" mechanic, but it's time limited and short. In terms of balance, that's understandable. The problem is that however balanced it is on paper, in real gameplay the mechanic design itself limits the class to a kamikaze class. And that's if you are a good enough player to get to the enemy without getting caught.

In other words, they should not even have that type of stealth mechanic, instead having a different way of creeping up on someone and then getting away.

IMO they're the only class(es) that are not designed well. The rest of the classes are fine (outside of Bright Wizard balance...).

Edit: And honestly I haven't even played one, myself. But I did play when it was live and I don't even remember seeing one, or at least feeling like it was any kind of threat. Ed123 was bitching about it the other day, and I'm just like, "Yup, I know exactly what you mean."

Reinhardt

Arcane
Played both witchhunter and witch elf on live. They were pretty fun at T1 but not later.

A horse of course

Spent an entire day grinding scenarios and Open RvR for...one fucking renown level. T4 Destro may as well just not bother half the time. The only thing keeping me going now is how close I am to 40/40, which will give me access to some of the cool endgame destro PQs and leave me in a good position on both Destro and Order for if/when future content is released.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
well, I didn't play live, but from my short experience with this, witch elves are the easy target for killing

anyway why it seems like nobody is playing rvr on T2?

A horse of course

T2 was merged into T3. It was fairly active when I was levelling my BO.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Played both witchhunter and witch elf on live. They were pretty fun at T1 but not later.
Makes sense. I still feel like you don't get your core PVP abilities until about or exactly level 20.
Oo that's smart of them.

Sry guise i'm being weeaboo and playing Dragonball Xenoverse lolol

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Makes sense. I still feel like you don't get your core PVP abilities until about or exactly level 20.
Oo that's smart of them.

Sry guise i'm being weeaboo and playing Dragonball Xenoverse lolol

But when I get back it should be easy to level quickly (I mean, not Renown, but level quickly enough so I can do whatever Tier PVP). We still need a tank or no? Or are we still playing Order?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm gonna make a Witch Hunter, any tips?

Yeah, don't.

Take it from someone whose main is a WH, it's a pretty niche and frankly unsatisfying class to play.
What classes are considered fun™ to play?
1. The best option is to level them up and play them TBH. Honestly I've had your same question with any RPG (any many games) and the only way to tell if I liked a class/character/etc. was after I played with them. If you do go that route, I would say you'll know if you like a class at or after level 20, because that's when you get your core abilities (e.g. "Challenge" for Tanks).

2. Still, I can offer suggestions depending on what you like to do. Actually almost all the classes are fun to play, IMO it's just that the Witch Hunter and Witch Elf mechanics are terrible compared to the rest. But you'll have to be quite specific because some classes require more micro, some less micro, etc., etc. For example, all three Tanks play the same role, and on a macro scale play similarly. However, the Knight of the Blazing Sun is based on managing auras, the Swordmaster uses a "combo" system (hard to explain), and the Ironbreaker has a mechanic to buff a chosen teammate which also increases its secondary resources. But again on the macro scale, you're going to be doing mostly the same thing because they share mandatoraly used core Tank mechanics (like "Challenge") that do not differ at all among the Tanks.
I remember liking the old Death Knight, Discipline Priest, or Warlock in WoW. I'll try some Dark Elves/Orcs/Chaos, they look pretty cool.
Sounds like you like a character that is survivable and damage dealing, but slower at killing, relying on DoTs or healing/armor, rather than alpha striking. I imagine you probably like Paladins, too?

Hm.. in terms of group PVP role, Tanks are very survivable but slower at killing, not to mention your group will be pissed at you because your role is to use abilities that make the enemy want to attack you. Unless you have another Tank in your group, in which you can go two handed spec and then you'll be something between Warriors and Paladins ((I only played Vanilla so I dunno about Death Knights except for like the first 10 levels))). But typically a Tank is more likely to be surviving 5 enemies hitting them for half an hour, but not able to kill them, so that's not very Death Knighty.

Melee DPS, even the more armored ones, tend not to be survivable.

I would suggest... Magus/Engineer or any of the healers (the healers in WAR do decent damage while also healing, so about the same as a Discipline Priest). Zealots/Runepriests are hybridy in all specs, as one spec would focus on AOE healing and damage, another would buff and debuff, another would DoT heal and DoT damage. Archmages/Shamans and WarriorPriests/DisciplesofKhaine both have a middle hybrid spec (the latter to me felt too micro-y but if you liked Death Knights then that's no problem with I think).

Oh, forgot about Maguses/Engineers. IMO they are closest to Warlocks. Though you could branch out a bit and use Squig Herders/Shadow Warriors, which also are survivable and moderately damage-y but are more skirmishy, rely more on hit and run kills (and CC) rather than playing like the more static Warlocks and Discipline Priests.

On the other hand, you could find any class fun because the mechanics are quite unique (just don't play Witch Hunters/Witch Elves). The problem with WAR is the content design rather than the class designs IMO.

A horse of course

But when I get back it should be easy to level quickly (I mean, not Renown, but level quickly enough so I can do whatever Tier PVP). We still need a tank or no? Or are we still playing Order?

If you're still interested in doing PQs at some point, a tank would be ideal, especially if Maculo makes his WP a healer. For ORvR I think a small group can only really focus on gnaking, running supplies, or burning undefended objectives, in which case specific class isn't that important since it's basically a numbers game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

If you're still interested in doing PQs at some point, a tank would be ideal, especially if Maculo makes his WP a healer. For ORvR I think a small group can only really focus on gnaking, running supplies, or burning undefended objectives, in which case specific class isn't that important since it's basically a numbers game.
I don't mind either way. I got my Ironbreaker in the works. The thing about having a Tank (especially with Oathbrother) is that it's a survival power multiplier. In other words if I'm there, that means I am focused on which allows the DPS to gank even better. Or if I'm not focused on, I literally cut the damage to you in half with Guard. Mythic was real smart with the class mechanics, because they made Tanks the best at CC (as well as having collision detection). Maybe I can even keep you alive lol.

Unfortunately the IMO great class (PVP) mechanics are outshadowed by shitty content, both PVE and RVR. About the only entertaining thing was Scenarios. I only quit because I got bored, not because I disliked my character or the core gameplay.

Also I forgot to mention that on RoR forums people do suggest that a double Witch Hunter team can be quite (annoyingly) successful lol.

A horse of course

I've seen WH duos at work in scenarios, certainly. I think Shaman/Squig Herder is the real ganking combo of choice in ORvR.

A horse of course

I'm targeting 1 Renown level per day with Destruction. They just get annihilated in 90% of scenarios and rarely win any ORvR (though you can still make some RP with ganking and grabbing undefended points). Someone kill me pls

Playing WAR makes me unironically miss WoW

A horse of course

QEtpVHd.jpg

Just fought a

FOUR

FUCKING

HOUR

battle in Kadrin Valley, going from about 4% away from an Order lock and desperately defending the Keep within the first 30m, to invading and almost downing their Keep Lord as waves of 30+ Order crashed against the lower levels. Oh, and their Lord glitched out of course, so we had to hold out for another 10-20m to finally kill him. Then it was yet another 1 and half hours before we finally secured all the objectives, fought off Order mega-zergs, and locked the zone.

:despair:

Anyway, I'm now two levels away from RR 40. I should be able to do one level tomorrow whilst I pack my stuff, then one level on Wednesday as I prep for my flight home.

Fuck all dwarfs

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

Alright, so at Level 40 and RR 40, a PvE tanking build, ilvl37-45 gear including two different set bonuses giving self-healing, and drunk on comically overpriced buff potions from the auction house, I gave it one last shot:

anJEGte.jpg
pFfhWVF.jpg
jhemYL0.jpg
QWTrrpI.jpg

mWXluHV.jpg
:yeah:

Welp, with probably hundreds of hours sunk into this shit I'm pretty much done with the game now. I managed to get a small group together to do the Prince Imrik assassination Public Quest due to the fact that the area nearby is one of the few places people still run high-lvl quests (to farm ruin). Even then it took a couple of hours of begging and cajoling to get a full party together to do a Hard difficulty PQ since it's far more productive to farm Easy ones. I have absolutely no interest in spending hours begging in the IC to try and get a balanced party together to do the endgame Destro PQs in Reikland.

I'll keep it installed in the event they release new PvE content, fix the broken scripting or finally implement endgame RvR sieges. Beyond that I won't be in-game all that much other than for screenshots and stuff.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Such a shame this game is forgotten mostly. I love it heartedly. Because of tremendous attention to details, ridiculously huge amount of content, extremely fun pvp and the dire atmosphere of the warhammer world - imo one of the best implementation on par with Mark of chaos. I still can’t comprehend how came this gem could just got shut down one day. The future seemed so bright those days — skavens were on their way to the game.

As for the private server — well, it’s still fun, yet I don’t believe it has any future given those who are responsible for development are just enthusiastic bunch thus it’s just a matter of time when development will freeze completely.

I have a dream that some company will buy the source code, add some fancy modern looking fx and proceed the development. So much nice ideas are buried here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom