Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warren Spector's Soapbox Thread

DraQ

Arcane
Something I've noticed about American media culture - not just games, but also cinema, books, etc - is that they think that the height of artistic achievement is to successfully introduce slightly more sophisticated than average themes to a decidedly average audience. To create a successful compromise between artistic success and commercial success.

Or in other words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlebrow

Ken Levine said this on TTLG years ago: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117350&page=2&p=1654123#post1654123

Now, that's okay, but the problem is when these people are treated by the media as artistic masters rather than the compromised pragmatists that they are. While the REAL talent gets overlooked for being "too niche" and "irrelevant".
This. And one thing that pisses me off to no end on the 'Dex is nostalgiafags regarding gaming classics as the height of artistic achievement, when they were at best middlebrow-out-of-necessity and often derived their acclaim from being seen as stepping stones towards actual greatness.

No, doing a faithful successor of classics is no longer enough, regardless of gaming industry having lost its way and turning towards derp and cinemAAA+ic storytelling.

Yes, I hate it when a game is trying to pontificate to me about social issues or sending me a message. But I hate it when watching such a movie or reading such a book too.
The games are unique in that in games the player is an active agent. They have to be either given ability to potentially wriggle out of the story and point you're trying to make (so you need to let either the backstory or the players themselves to make your point for you), or be forced into it, at which point they will see it as contrived bullshit.

That's the part the games are retardedly schizophrenic about - on one hand they actually *need* far more subtlety and indirection to make any sort of point, but on the other they provide none in order to accommodate conventional gameplay and not alienate the players with stuff like not respecting their playstyle when you drop the obvious consequences on them.
That's one of the many things that make games gamey.

Spector is right about one thing though - thematically games ARE mired in action and stupid shit about zombies, aliens, evil wizards and demons. Frankly I'm sick to my stomach with all this shit. There are so many games that are complex and incredibly fun gameplay-wise but they have stupid cartoonish art and the plot is some generic shit about wizards and dragons or space nazi zombies.
I think you're conflating dressing and even themes with issues they take on.
A game, or any other medium, can be actually smart and tackle interesting subjects without being mundane - you couldn't for example make stuff like Lem's novel while sticking to the mundane.

Having to fight waves of spacenazizombierobots because padding - and it's ultimately always about padding - OTOH is bad.

Don't get me wrong, I love sci-fi and good fantasy as much as the next guy and I pledged shitload of money for TToN but sometimes I'm fucking starved for non-action games set in real world, without a single evil wizard or galactic emperor.
Again, the problem is action not the lack of mundane.

Wizards, dragons and galactic emperors are either requisites necessary to explore given issue or window dressing without bearing on it. You either need them to make the point or they don't matter.

Unless they actively break the point, which indicates the writer to be a clueless dolt, or they completely break the tone they don't matter.

Still you would be resorting to police vs. thugs, or FBI vs. spies, or whatever... I think Warren longs for a game with no combat whatsoever, or very little focus on it, to avoid those retarded moments where you bring to justice a man that murdered a family by killing 200 of his bodyguards...

I would love a game where you aren't barred from combat, but in which it remains an uncommon, weighty and usually bad alternative.

Bad as in "single instance may permafuck you in more ways than one".
Something where you can grab a gun or sword or whatever, but it will almost certainly drop you into salvage whatever can still be salvaged mode *IF* you succeed.

The closest game I've ever seen to the ideal I have in mind was AzT, but it was still not quite there, you still got to potentially shoot some stuff without much consequence and was also pretty boxed in.
Still it was successful in giving you a gun and making it just another option rather than game mechanics to be used consistently to deal with problems.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Something I've noticed about American media culture - not just games, but also cinema, books, etc - is that they think that the height of artistic achievement is to successfully introduce slightly more sophisticated than average themes to a decidedly average audience. To create a successful compromise between artistic success and commercial success.

Or in other words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlebrow

Ken Levine said this on TTLG years ago: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117350&page=2&p=1654123#post1654123
One of our goals with BioShock was to introduce the deeper shooter to a large segment of the gaming public and make it a commercially succesful franchise. Although that's a goal I imagine some here would look down upon, it's was critically important to me personally as a developer and a gamer.

Now, that's okay, but the problem is when these people are treated by the media as artistic masters rather than the compromised pragmatists that they are. While the REAL talent gets overlooked for being "too niche" and "irrelevant".

This. Fucking this.

As for Spector, Yes, he perhaps has lost his way, but you will not see me throwing insults around. The man fucking produced Ultima Underworld, System Shock & Deus Ex. Shut your holes and bow, worthless peasants. And yes, he was in part responsible for desig in each of those games, significantly so.
Well, typically everyone has investors they have to think about. Once you've reached the limit of demand for your services you have to expand the market to make the company more profitable than last year (product quality be damned).

buzz

Arcane
:whatho:
it's absolutely fascinating how much does Warren Spector loves the sound of his voice. Couldn't stop listening at the 5 minute mark when he goes into his immersive sim tirade for the millionth time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wow, he's pretty energetic.

Hello Warren! Thank you for doing an AMA. Could you please shine some light on Junction Point Studios' cancelled Half-Life title?

I'm not sure how badly I'm going to get sued by someone for talking about this, but here goes.

Junction Point had a project cancelled (we can talk about that, too, if you want). There was no money. Basically, Valve came in like a white knight and offered us some work on a Half Life episode set in a part of the Half Life universe that hadn't been explored deeply. In addition, just because my team couldn't just do anything the easy way, we decided to add a new tool to the Half Life universe - the magnet gun. We came up with some COOL stuff to do with the magnet gun. Valve decided to move in another direction but I still wish they'd do something with the magnet gun. It was fun.

Was the Magnet Gun a variation of the Gravity Gun or something entirely new?

The magnet gun was entirely different than the gravity gun. The two would have been super complementary.

What do you think of the new Deus Ex games and are there any Japanese game designers you like?

I think people expect me to be pissed about new Deus Ex games that I'm not making but it's really not like that at all. I'm just excited (thrilled might be a better word) that I was part of the creation of something that's bigger than myself, that has a life of its own.

What did I think of DX:HR? Well, for starters, I don't finish a lot of games and I finished DX:HR. That'll tell you something. When I DID finish it, I kinda sat back and thought, "Wow, I just had a Deus Ex experience." It sounded like DX and felt like DX. It was pretty cool.

The Eidos Montreal guys made some design decisions I wouldn't have made, but overall, I was really pleased.

Now, having said that, my one regret is that the movie deal I had back in 2000 never made it to the screen and now there's no chance it ever will, 'cause DX, the original, is kind of old news.

-

Forgot about the Japanese designers question: Does anyone not love, admire and respect Shigeru Miyamoto. He came and visited the Disney Interactive booth at E3 once and I stood within 6 inches of him and couldn't bring myself to say anything. I was in awe. A couple of years later, I presented Epic Mickey at the Nintendo press conference at E3 and, backstage Mr. Miyamoto touched my arm and I instantly became a better designer. No fooling.

What do you think of the most recent Thief game?

Haven't played it.

Favorite Ion Storm debauchery memory? Favorite "drinking with the game magazine crowd" memory?

Favorite drinking story? I never asked for this...

Okay, here's the drinking story. I was giving a lecture at the New School in NYC. After, I was hanging out with some of the attendees (which I always) do (it's fun hanging out with gamers...). A couple of them asked if I wanted to go to a bar and hangout there (which I never do...) but for some reason I said yes. Hours later, I was sitting there with a very drunk gamer who gave me a hard time about how DX was right wing propaganda. Before I could respond, another DX fan came up and said "Right wing propaganda? It was left wing crap all the way." Funny thing was that they were both right. It all depended on how you played. That was a drink-driven super-cool moment for me.

I was curious about how you handle negative outcomes in digital games, where the player can reload the game and avoid that negative outcome for a more favorable one. Do you compel a player to keep on the same path by giving them substantial content or a minor reward? Can you circumvent it simply having great writing? Or do you never make an outcome purely negative and always aim for a black and white perspective?

That's like ten questions in one, dude! Let's see what I can do with it.

The funny thing is that my games actually encourage people to try something out, reload and try for a "better" result. To be honest, I kinda hate that. I just want people to play the game the way they want to and find their own fun. But once a player buys a game, it's theirs and they can do whatever they want with it.

I NEVER compel a player to take any one path. That's SO not my thing. It's about players finding their own way, their own story through the game.
Great writing can make a huge difference to a game - just look at what Sheldon Pacotti did on Deus Ex. A lot... most... okay, maybe all of the "intelligence" people see in Deus Ex is down to him. Bow down before the mighty Sheldon!

Are you still in contact od in any way collaborating with the original Ion Storm Austin team? What is your opinion on Eidos Montreal and their contribution to the franchise? Are you happy with your decision to make Epic Mickey for Disney, any regrets? If you could change one thing in the latest Deus Ex (Human Revolution) what would it be?

Sure, I still talk to some of the old DX guys (and it WAS all guys, damn it...). Guys like Harvey Smith and Steve Powers and Monte Martinez are still carrying the torch. I love those guys.

I'm totally happy to have worked for Disney and made Epic Mickey. I'm super proud of the EM team.

If I could change one thing about DX:HR (do I only get one?) it'd probably be the boss battles. I mean, you train your players to solve problems however they want and then you HAVE to kill the bosses? That makes no sense. Yeah, I know everyone says that, but that's for a reason.

The narrative in my head supposes the bureaucracy at Disney is what eventually did Epic Mickey and especially Epic Mickey 2 in. You have made it abundantly clear in interviews past that working with Disney was a dream, and I'm sure the NDA's won't allow you to say as much even if you wanted to.

But please, from someone who bought both games on release and found things to enjoy in these hamstrung but still exciting games.

What happened?

Well, I'm actually not under NDA or anything with Disney, so I can talk about what happened there. The bottom line is that Disney gave me and the team an almost unbelievable amount of freedom to make the game we wanted to make. I think everyone there knew I was respectful of the properties - oh, hell, I've always wanted to be Walt Disney! - so they didn't worry too much. The one thing they told me (and I still find it weird almost beyond belief)... the one thing they told me I couldn't do was show Mickey's teeth. Go figure.

-

Okay, Disney didn't always give us as much time as we wanted to make the games EVERYTHING we wanted them to be but (a) NO publisher ever gives ANY developer enough time and (b) no game is ever even close to what you wanted it to be.

(Actually, Deus Ex came pretty close to being the game I hoped it would be when I first started thinking about it, but that's a very rare exception - one of a kind in my experience.)

Since it doesn't look like we'll be getting any continuation, what plot was Epic Mickey 3 planned to take? Also, what features were planned for 2 & 3 that didn't make the cut?

In Mickey 3 I wanted to really up the multiplayer action. What we did in Mickey 2 was pretty simple. I also wanted to make a truly interactive musical game. I have some weird ideas about how to use music and how to make music in the context of a game that no music-game has done yet.

AMA is still going on, and he seems willing to answer many things. huh.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hell, here's another round of wall of text:

Thank you for your work on Deus Ex. The influence of your work will be everlasting on gaming.

What are your feelings towards engines such as current Unity3D and UDK that enables anyone to make games?

Thanks for the kind words about Deus Ex. It freaks me out that people still talk about it and even play it fifteen years after it came out.

My feelings about the availability of engines democratizes game development in a way I find super exciting. The fact that they're free is just the cherry on the icing on the cake (or whatever that expression is).

In fact, the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy participants are happily working in Unity on the game they're making - The Calm Before

The Calm Before looks really neat and unique, will we be seeing a commercial release?

The Calm Before doesn't just look neat; it IS neat. Since you asked about commercial release, we'll release it. How's that for service? (It's going to be free to download from the DSGA website and The Calm Before website. Keep your eye there.)

What did you think of the Mankind Divided Teaser?

I thought the Mankind Divided trailer was pretty violence-o-rific, which bugged me a little. I mean, the DX game was never about killing stuff. It was about picking your own playstyle, which MIGHT involve killing stuff. Given how well DX:HR did at the whole choice and consequence idea I'm hoping - and have confidence - the actual game will be a little more in the playstyle matters mold. In trailers, you just have to give people the most action-packed stuff you can, I assume. I'll definitely be playing Mankind Divided. Ask me then.

I really liked the attention to detail to choices you could make in the original Deus Ex, like skipping an entire boss fight by having found their built in killswitch password. What do you think about modern day approaches to choice and freedom in game design? Additionally, with as little bias as possible, do you feel that your students will be not only well-equipped for the workforce out of college, but do you think that they're very hire-able right out of college with nothing but a game design degree? I know I went right for computer science, because it seemed to be a much better way to get into the industry.

I wish I could say there'd been huge advances in choice and consequence gameplay but I'm not sure huge advances are really necessary. What I'm excited about is how often we see that in games these days. Back in the day (man, I sound old...) we used to sit around and go "Why isn't everyone making games like this." Now, lots of people are doing it.

Do I feel my students will be well-equipped? I sure hope so. I've been really impressed with them, that's for sure. And I know we're teaching them things it takes 10 freakin' years to learn out in the field. I sure wish I had a crystal ball to see where they're all going to be in five years!

As a note, we're accepting applications for the 2015-2016 class RIGHT NOW!

What are some great easter eggs in your games that have or have never been found?

Well, my favorite is that every game I've worked on has a basketball court in it, where you can actually shoot a basket. They're all hidden and I make sure my teams don't tell me where they are so I have the fun of finding them. The DSGA participants put one inThe Calm Before and I haven't found it yet, damn it.

There's also a dance party somewhere in Deus Ex...

So, you often said that game makers should focus on making believable characters instead of believable guns, which is I wholeheartedly agree with.

But for that, one crucial (and tricky) thing to do is implementing believable conversation between player and characters.

Many modern games are using dialog trees or likes for it, and I think it's an inferior solution even than keyword systems in games like Ultima 5~6 (which you are worked on) and Wizardry 8.

How do you think games can be improved on this aspect? Should we wait the advent of super intelligent AI? Or do you think this could be achieved with some elegant design in near future?

This is another one of those things - better ways to do conversations - that I'd do if I knew how. I think it's pathetic that we've made so little progress in the last thirty years. I mean, we're still doing branching trees but NOW WE'VE ADDED TIMERS! Woohoo!

I'm counting on some indie developer somewhere coming up with a way to do conversations that blows my mind and makes me feel inadequate.

I was wondering what are your next projects in the video game industry, and do you plan on going back to directing 3D platforming/adventure games like Epic Mickey?

My plans for the foreseeable future are pretty much limited to the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy. I thought I'd work on some small side projects but this teaching thing is more time-consuming than I expected.

In one piece of yours I read years ago you referred to your works not as video games but as "interactive simulations". What difference do you believe exists between the two?

I just prefer games that are less puzzle oriented or "single-solution" oriented and games that offer deeper simulations. Simulations allow players to explore not just a space but a "possibility space." They can make their own fun... tell their own stories... solve problems the way they want and see the consequences of their choices. That's the thing that games can do that no other medium in human history has been able to do. It's kind of a moral obligation to do what makes you unique, isn't it?

In an interview a while ago you said something to the effect of 'a lot of games are a mile wide but only an inch deep.' I can't actually remember the question exactly but I suppose you would've been talking about player autonomy, about how their quests will take them on grand adventures but give them few if any real choices that lead down fleshed-out paths.

What would be a game you've played that comes to mind as an example of real player agency, and how important is this aspect of game design to you?

There's probably an entire design course in the answer to this question, but at the high level, I just look at games (which I will NOT name) that talk about open world stuff and just think they're open to the extent you can walk around and do different stuff, but if you REALLY stop to think about it, the range of options is fairly small BECAUSE they're trying to simulate entire worlds. You just can't do it - at least not well enough to suit me.

Instead, I try to make relatively small, concentrated environments that allow players to really explore - go into every building, talk to every person, pick every lock, kill (or don't kill) everything that moves... In a smaller environment you can do much more. Sometimes less is more.

I still want to make the One Block Roleplaying Game someday.

I remember when epic Mickey was first announce, there was concept art that showed a really dark looking Disney game. I was pumped about this but was sad that this dark game never saw a release. What happened during production that changed this idea to a more lighthearted one? And will it be possible that a game like that could still come to fruition?

Images of concept art mentioned:http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/3569/1094170-03_noscale.jpg
http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/beetleworx-5.jpg
http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/blot-3_5.jpg

That concept art was leaked and never intended for public consumption. I had the team do that because I needed to know where the line of acceptability was for Disney. What would they be comfortable with and what would they not be comfortable with. The way to find where a line is is to cross it. By a lot. Do something really out there and have them go, "No. Too far." Then do something a little less radical... and less radical until, frankly, you get where you want and they don't even realize you've gotten there. I think we pushed things further, darkness-wise, than anyone thought possible.

Will a game in that crazy, over-the-top, dark as the pit style ever see the light of day? Probably not from Disney!

You're simply a legend dude, but I have to ask, What game do you think comes closest in similarity to your work that wasn't worked on by you?

I'm really not a legend - I'm a real boy!

What game comes closest? Probably Dishonored (no surprise - look at the team and you see a lot of DX-ers in the credits).

You've also already mentioned that Eidos Montreal guys made some decisions you wouldn't make. What are those particular choices? What in Human Revolution made you go "yeah, that's Deus Ex!" and what felt wrong in your opinion?

Well, let me be clear - I never said (and never would say) the DX:HR team made "wrong" decisions. Just different ones.

I mean, I'm not a fan of modular cover systems. Don't see the point. Clearly the DX:HR team disagreed.

I'm a big believer in giving players at least one "free" weapon, one that doesn't require energy to use. There's a reason why every game seems to have a crowbar. In DX:HR every weapon required energy. What happens when you run out?

And I thought the AI was too unforgiving. Once you failed a stealth attempt, the AI got really aggressive and took a long time to time out and forget about you. I felt like a failed stealth attempt turned the game into a shooter, which kind of undercut my playstyle.

But again, THESE WEREN'T WRONG DECISIONS. Just different.

If a publisher gave you unlimited budget and full freedom, what game would you make with that?

A deeply simulated, musical comedy.

I'm serious as a heart attack about this...

I was wondering what your opinion is on the shift in games towards micro transactions, dlc, etc. In your opinion, do gamers still get their money's worth?

I think micro transactions are the spawn of the devil.

What is your personal favorite game of all time?

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (which is weird since it's a kind of game I'd probably never make but as a gamer I totally love it)

How was working at electronic arts like? I heard it was enjoyable to work there

My work with EA was in Austin, Texas, after they bought Origin. The development culture remained pretty much what it was before the buyout. I loved working at Origin and that didn't change much after EA bought us. Except we had bigger budgets! ;-)

Hi Warren! As you can probably gather, I'm a huge fan of Epic Mickey. I'm just curious, were there ever any plans to include forgotten characters from slightly more recent movies (for example, Simba's forgotten son, Kopa, from The Lion King)? And in your own vision of Epic Mickey 3, was Gremlin Prescott to be reformed?

There were never plans to incorporate more recent characters (at least not until we left the Wasteland, which I really wanted to do in Mickey 3). I set a rule that nothing would appear in the game that happened after 1967 because I didn't want to include anything Walt himself didn't touch. (We violated that rule more often than I'd like - and I'm surprised no one's ever called us on that - but it was still a rule.)

I was wondering, now that you have worked on so many iconic games over the course of your career, what game(s) did you play and what actually sparked your ambition to start making games? Did you want to change certain things or did you want to make your original ideas a reality?

The games that inspired me were the old Atari game Star Raiders - the first first-person 3D game. I really felt like I was there, in the cockpit of a space fighter. And Ultima IV showed me that games could be about more than killing monsters and grabbing treasure. And, of course, D&D. We'd be nowhere without D&D. I think every game developer should face Lake Geneva, WI every day and acknowledge the god-like influence of Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Any chance the first Epic Mickey will be ported to anything besides Wii?

Nope.

As someone who wants to become a writer in the industry, what is the biggest factor you look for when hiring new talent? Thanks for doing this AMA!

I'm learning that my experience differs from other people's so don't take this as gospel, but I've had the most success finding programmers who are also writers. I've found that most writer-writers aren't well-versed in INTERACTIVE storytelling, which has technical requirements unlike other media.

On top of your work, i vastly enjoyed the video-series of developer interviews you did during a game design course, which was released a few years ago. Are there any plans to possibly continue something along those lines in some way ?

I've been talking to folks here at The University of Texas about doing another series of Lectures/Interviews open to the public and available for streaming. We'll see if it actually happens. I hope so.

Hey Warren! Deus Ex is my favorite game. After I played through it a second time I developed a knack for finding glitches. What is the biggest/most unexpected glitch you have seen in any of your games after they were released?

Check out the ragdolling on dead characters in Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Or check out Savage Empire where a bug allowed you to take one step in the game world and go directly to the endgame.

Or the bug in Ultima VI where, if you crossed a region boundary on a boat, the boat split in half and Lord British turned up somewhere in the gameworld as a decorative sword.

1) Your thoughts on the "paid mod fiasco"
2) What games do you look at and think "Wow, I wish I worked on that"?
3) What past games of yours do you wish you could go back and do better for whatever reasons?

Don't have an opinion on the paid mod business.

I wish I'd worked on The Walking Dead, not the game style especially (though I think it'd be fun) but the episodic stuff. When I started Junction Point in 2004 I really wanted to do short, episodic, digitally distributed content. I guess I was too early 'cause no one wanted to fund it back then!

What games do I wish I could go back to? None. I like talking about the past but I have no interest in reliving it. More important to think about future projects than past ones.

In 2012 you said that "ultraviolence has to stop" in the games industry. Games in general have long used violence as context for mechanics, even going back thousands of years for Go and Chess in terms piece removal from the gamestate.

Why do you think game designers have largely failed to popularize alternative systems? What can the game industry do to systematize/gameify non-violent actions?

It's just so easy to simulate the pulling of a virtual trigger. And positioning one pixel over another pixel kind of simulates the act of aiming. Violence is easy (and, as you say, it's been a part of games for thousands of years - in fact, it's been a part of all entertainment and art forever).
I just think some games - lots of games - take it to far, where it's in bad taste. And too many games just pat you on the back for engaging in violent behavior. And there are just so many potentially interesting things we're NOT doing that we COULD be doing.
At some level I don't really care about violent games. Go make 'em. Go play 'em. Whatever. I just wish we'd focus a little more on other aspects of the human condition.

This fact from the "Did You Know? Gaming" YouTube channel had a fact that had my immediate attention. In Deus Ex, the graphics and disc space limitations of the time resulted in the removal of the World Trade Center from the city skyline in the game. At that time, the missing buildings were attributed to a terrorist attack in the game universe. The 9/11 attacks would take place a little more than a year later.

Did you know about this graphics issue when the game was under development and permit this explanation to be made official? Secondly, how did you react when the attacks actually happened on 9/11?

Actually, the missing World Trade Center was a result of an artist leaving them out. It was a mistake. Plan and simple. Of course, after 9/11, people read more into it than they should have.

What are your views on crowdsourcing? I for one think that there is a market for more games like Deus Ex. But publishers like Square Enix will steer to more popular/profitable markets and the next "spiritual successor" isn't going to be that close to the mark.

I think crowdsourcing is great for some people but not for me. I mean, never say never, but I can't imagine having to satisfy 10,000 masters. I'd rather serve one (a publisher or other funding source).

Warren! Am I feeling that games are less immersive, less profound, less relatable and less personal or am I changing as a gamer? I can never tell.

I wrestle all the time with the question of whether game content is changing or my interest in certain kinds of game content is what's changing. Tough question. It's probably a little of both. Nowadays if you want profundity, you need to look at indie games. The big publishers seem more interested in tentpole blockbusters.

I just wanted to say that I'm quite the fan of your work. And I can't think of a more coherent question. What's the best thing that you acquired while working for a studio? Did someone make you something and give it to you? Something you got from another vendor that was cool? Just something that lived on your desk for a while?

I've been given so many wonderful things over the years it's hard to single anything out. But some of my favorite things are a series of caricatures of me in costumes inspired by games I've worked on - one of my artists surprised me with those.

My Serpent Isle team gave me a poster they all signed and given how hard I worked those guys, I expected them to gift me with a little bottle of arsenic.

And an Epic Mickey fan made some from-scratch plush toys of Epic Mickey characters - that was mind-blowingly nice.

Hey Warren, thanks for DX, it's still among my top 5 games along with Planescape Torment, Morrowind, Max Payne and Shenmue. (all released close to year 2000, what a time to be a gamer!) Now the questions! What's your favourite videogame of the last 5 years? And What's your favourite story in a videogame?

My favorite game of the last five years? Probably Dishonored.

My favorite video game story? Probably The Walking Dead. Maybe Heavy Rain. But those work because they're so minimally interactive - terrific, but limited. It's relatively easy to tell a story when your script completely delimits what players can/can't do and where they can/can't go.

And it's still going on :o

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You've also already mentioned that Eidos Montreal guys made some decisions you wouldn't make. What are those particular choices? What in Human Revolution made you go "yeah, that's Deus Ex!" and what felt wrong in your opinion?

Well, let me be clear - I never said (and never would say) the DX:HR team made "wrong" decisions. Just different ones.

I mean, I'm not a fan of modular cover systems. Don't see the point. Clearly the DX:HR team disagreed.

I'm a big believer in giving players at least one "free" weapon, one that doesn't require energy to use. There's a reason why every game seems to have a crowbar. In DX:HR every weapon required energy. What happens when you run out?

And I thought the AI was too unforgiving. Once you failed a stealth attempt, the AI got really aggressive and took a long time to time out and forget about you. I felt like a failed stealth attempt turned the game into a shooter, which kind of undercut my playstyle.

But again, THESE WEREN'T WRONG DECISIONS. Just different.

Hmmm.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yeah, lots of things in this AMA are forcing the same response out of me.
Still a legend, always will be though.

I think we can at least put this one down to his age. Then again the AI timed out way too quick in DX1, what was the vanilla value again...something like 8 seconds for the majority of the enemies. A small step above goldfish memory.

Edit:

EnemyTimeout=5.000000

Five seconds upon losing sight of the player :?

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
He's right on all of those complaints. The implementation of energy cells and melee attacks in Human Revolution is one of the more retarded designs I've seen. The cover system is :decline:. Stealth with no soft failures can blow me, especially since the game is way easier as a shooter.

I'm glad he said they aren't the wrong decisions, because otherwise I would be forced to agree whole-heartedly with Warren Spector.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm fairly certain they just didn't want to code a full-blown melee combat system in a game that's mostly about shooting, with all the unique animations and AI and such that are required with today's production quality requirements, so they just rolled with it. DX:HR was in some ways kind of a low budgetish game.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
He's right on all of those complaints. The implementation of energy cells and melee attacks in Human Revolution is one of the more retarded designs I've seen. The cover system is :decline:. Stealth with no soft failures can blow me, especially since the game is way easier as a shooter.

I'm glad he said they aren't the wrong decisions, because otherwise I would be forced to agree whole-heartedly with Warren Spector.

His points on HR? He's right on all except the stealth. DX:HR's stealth was mindless garbage, but the timeouts were just right. Ideally there would be another timeout state even, where the AI intelligently search the area. Simulated, engaging, challenging.

Oh, as for the point on objective WRONG decisions. They were objectively wrong for a Deus Ex game. They are not inline with Deus Ex/the Immersive Sim. He said it himself that he wouldn't have made those crappy decisions...but hey, he made Invisible War so his opinion doesn't hold much weight in that regard. You sellout then there should be some stigma there.

infintron said:
"I'm fairly certain they just didn't want to code a full-blown melee combat system in a game that's mostly about shooting, with all the unique animations and AI and such that are required with today's production quality requirements, so they just rolled with it. DX:HR was in some ways kind of a low budgetish game."

Cost-effective, yes. But then why is there third person cover when first person leaning is far more cost effective and easy to implement? Popamole design is popamole, that's the ultimatum.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Even a simple player-only melee attack would have been better than the cutscene button they settled on. It's not like modern shooters have elaborate CQC systems that it would have been compared to.

He's right on all except the stealth. DX:HR's stealth was mindless garbage, but the timeouts were just right. Ideally there would be another timeout state even, where the AI intelligently search the area. Simulated, engaging, challenging.
The whole game is just balanced so you have to be an achievement-whore to stick with a stealth playthrough. It's totally unrewarding in terms of lore or gameplay strategy, the upgrade paths don't force you to give up combat efficacy to be stealthy, and meanwhile there are these really strict penalties if you make a slight error... And the stealth isn't even fun to begin with. If you're going to turn up the punishment for failing one specific playstyle, there has to be some reason why players would still want to choose that playstyle over the easier, less tedious option.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like he wrapped it up.

Just a few quick questions, being involved in two very influential games, Wing Commander and Deus Ex, how did that affect future projects? For example, did you ever want any of the later games you worked on to be highly regarded or just work on something in which you had a lot of artistic freedom.

Also, how is the environment of a development studio? Is it intense and anxiety filled or a bit more lax with scheduled duties for everyone?

I never thought about how my games would be regarded or generating maximum revenue. I just made the games I wanted to make and support the games I wanted to support from other developers. It worked out okay.

Studios vary, of course. Mine tend to be pretty intense. Probably because I'm terrible about schedules and budgets and have - true confessions time - sometimes cared more about product and less than I should about people. I'm not proud of any of that, but, hey, facts are facts...

I loved the Ultima Underworld games. I'm curious, if given a chance, would you ever work with Ultima line again? Have you ever played or been a part of Ultima Online?

Under the right circumstances I might work on another Ultima game, but it'd have to be JUST the right circumstances. The problem with working in someone else's world is that there's always someone who can say "no, you can't do that in my universe." I'm not partial to that sort of thing. (Epic Mickey was an exception because it was freakin' Disney and freakin' Mickey Mouse.)

1) in the original Deus ex you have the chance to stick with the Brutal policy of the Unatco for a while but then you are forced to stick with the NSF, some hidden audio files hint that there was the intention to give to the player the choice to stick with the Unatco is it true?

2) You seem to care a lot about "player empowerment", do you think modern games are developing this aspect enough?, why do you think it's so important? 3)What do you think went wrong with Invisible War and Epic mikey 2?, what would you change about those 2 if you had the chance?

Taking your questions one at a time:

I don't think you can EVER have enough player empowerment as long as it's in the context of an overarching story created by someone with some real storytelling talent. (I'm not a huge fan of purely sandbox games...).

I don't think anything "went wrong" with Invisible War or Epic Mickey 2. They were attempts to address specific concerns or express specific creative desires and were the best games they could be given limitations of time and budget. I'll always be proud of the creative and technical risks those teams took, how hard they worked and how committed they were to each other and to the games.

And thanks for the kind words.

I heard a rumor that Disney would have kept Junction Point open if you had left the company. Is there any truth to this claim?

None whatsoever. I've never actually mentioned this before, but I even volunteered to quit or be fired if it would keep the studio open. Disney just wanted to move in a different direction. Probably the right decision for them, frankly. No regrets. I had a great time working for Disney.

My question is about the cut content from Deus Ex - I guess this contains spoilers for anyone who hasn't played it: Were there any plans for options to not betray UNATCO, and were there ever any planned story reasons for the White House and Moon levels that ended up getting scrapped?

I thought I already replied to this but my answer seems to have disappeared. Let me try again.

We talked about the UNATCO scenario but decided against it. That was one of the reasons we tried to open things up even more in Invisible War. As far as the White House goes, we actually built a test mission set there (built the White House from actual blueprints!) but, at the end of the day, it just didn't fit the story we ended up telling. It kind of brought things to a distracting halt.

The biggest thing we cut, probably, was the Russo-Mexican war and a large-scale attack on Austin, Texas. That would have been insanity to try to implement!

Well, I think I've answered all the questions you folks have for me, so I'm going to call it quits for now. I'll try to check back later today or tomorrow to see if anyone comes up with anything else. It's been fun! Ceeya!

You can browse all his answers here if you want: https://www.reddit.com/user/WarrenSpector/

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Even a simple player-only melee attack would have been better than the cutscene button they settled on. It's not like modern shooters have elaborate CQC systems that it would have been compared to.

Ah but they do have cutscene takedown awesome buttons that the insta-gratification masses would have compared HR to for not having.
I'm not much a Dishonored fan (which you clearly are), but at least it did takedowns in an acceptable manner.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The whole game is just balanced so you have to be an achievement-whore to stick with a stealth playthrough. It's totally unrewarding in terms of lore or gameplay strategy, the upgrade paths don't force you to give up combat efficacy to be stealthy, and meanwhile there are these really strict penalties if you make a slight error... And the stealth isn't even fun to begin with. If you're going to turn up the punishment for failing one specific playstyle, there has to be some reason why players would still want to choose that playstyle over the easier, less tedious option.

Brolapse.

1. Stealth is easier than combat in HR (the opposite is true in DX1 minus the goldfish memory). Stealth is more time-consuming though, of course...unless you spam regen cloak, which is the fastest way to complete the game.

2. The consequence for failing combat is death, loss of progress. That's considerably more consequential than turning a corner and waiting for however many seconds. Yes you can be caught in the open and shot to death quickly, but that's good.

3. You're right about the stealth being boring.

Edit: my post on Reddit is being downvoted. Apparently people, including Spector, don't think Deus Ex has some objectively retarded aspects to its gameplay and wouldn't want innovation & polish of gameplay, further simulated systems etc in a remake, only a graphics and audio update. Fucking graphics whores my fellow gamers are, and this fact is the true cause of the global decline.
Deus Ex stood for innovation (including in gameplay, of course), it is initially what drove my thirst for my more. I'll put the downvotes down to misguided fanboyism and move on I guess.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
1. Stealth is easier than combat in HR (the opposite is true in DX1 minus the goldfish memory)
No way in hell. Sticky cover and stealth game retard AI make playing lethal extremely easy. It's popamole gunfighting without any of the enemy quirks or level designs that games like Gears of Wars use to break up the mole popping. You can just sit there and headshot enemies from complete safety and they'll keep lining up for you in the hallway until you've slaughtered everyone in the area.
2. The consequence for failing combat is death, loss of progress. That's considerably more consequential than turning a corner and waiting for however many seconds.
Not really. The consequence for failing combat is you get shot and lose a little bit of health, which doesn't really matter at all because health regenerates, so you can fumble through a level making plenty of minor errors with zero long or medium term consequences. Failing stealth is as easy as walking into a viewcone, and you either try the whole thing again, or more likely, give up on the shitty boring stealth and play the game as the designers apparently intended: by popping all the moles. Consequences for dying aren't even very severe: getting killed means you get sent back to the last checkpoint, which won't be very far back even in the worst of times, and if you're going lethal then everything's faster and you really don't lose much time. Compared with failing while playing stealth, where you retreat probably most of the way back to the last checkpoint, wait several minutes with your thumb up your ass, then slllloooowwwlllyyyy creep back and hope you don't break line of sight with a guard, cause then you'll be doing it all over again.

I'm not complaining that the stealth is too hard, it's just that it's much more punishing and not any more rewarding (in terms of XP, items, content) than shooting everybody.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I'm not complaining that the stealth is too hard, it's just that it's much more punishing and not any more rewarding (in terms of XP, items, content) than shooting everybody.

:nocountryforshitposters:

At least one point here is factually incorrect.

No way in hell. Sticky cover and stealth game retard AI make playing lethal extremely easy. It's popamole gunfighting without any of the enemy quirks or level designs that games like Gears of Wars use to break up the mole popping. You can just sit there and headshot enemies from complete safety and they'll keep lining up for you in the hallway until you've slaughtered everyone in the area.

In the interest of time let us both just agree that both combat and stealth are retarded and piss-easy and leave it at that.
I will say though, that instances of retarded combat AI does happen, but in reasonably open areas it is not simply a case of wacking a mole...at least if you refuse to use TP cover like I do but that is a self-imposed limitation and thus doesn't really count. So yeah, both suck and are easy really.

Regenerating cloak (in addition to all the nonsense such as the awesome button) kind of solidifies stealth as the easiest role though.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
ws.PNG

:whatho:

Zep--

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Oh, Spector replied to that post.

"Well, I hear you, but what you're describing is basically an entirely new game."

No it isn't, it is advancement & polish of design. It is GMDX. :obviously:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some answers:

Wow a DX movie. Would it have involved J.C. Denton or be a seperate story in the original DX setting?

The original DX movie pitch featured JC Denton and was based on selected portions of the game storyline. There's no way to squeeze dozens of hours of play into a two hour movie. All I'll say is the screenwriter and producers were totally into the game and picked all the right bits to put on the big screen. It could have been glorious.

17098.jpg
CyberP1: You wouldn't improve the gameplay? The story I can perhaps understand, but the gameplay, whilst exceptional, needed more work. Then of course there's always more you could do once this proposed work was done; A more interactive game world, AI that are even more reactive, further simulated systems, more expansive level design (in your design doc you spoke of every building being accessible, for example). As someone that strives to further the concepts in this regard, and as a big fan of the concepts you and the Looking Glass old guard pushed for, and how much you have spoken about innovation in the industry (or a lack thereof), I find this to be very disappointing. You just want window dressing. That isn't "so much more".

Well, I hear you, but what you're describing is basically an entirely new game. I have some DX-like games I want to make (one in particular), but that's not what I'm talking about here. I just, personally, want to re-experience the original DX, in more modern dress and think it'd be a relatively easy development effort that would still appeal to gamers who missed it the first time around. I'm not saying it'd be the most innovative thing in the world.

Did you know you can finish the game without using any items, augs, skills, money and any previous knowledge of codes and passwords( and no cheating of course ).

This means the game can be completed solely using medbots, boxes, tnt-boxes, and every code and passwords must be found in the same playthrough.

There were a TON of ways to finish DX. That was the point. Pity the poor testers who had to play through never firing a shot... or never being seen by anyone... or never using an augmentation. I don't know how they survived the experience. It would have driven me mad. But testing the most extreme playstyles gave us confidence all the less pure playstyles would work so the edge testing was critical.

(Regarding missing WTC in DX1) Was it just too late in development to go back and put it in? Or was it just not simple to have the ability to do at that time, with what graphic designers and artists had available at the time tech-wise?

Honestly, we just thought it was cool to have the towers gone. Seems less cool, and way more disturbing, now.

I'm one of that large pack of fools that worked with The Nameless Mod, so you know I'm already in love with some of your work.

On this topic, I'm wondering how you feel about players doing things like mods and stories and artwork. How does it feel to have people taking the projects you've worked on and turning them into something different? Is it, as JK Rowling said, 'like moving the furninture in my house' or do you feel proud to have created something people are so passionate about that they have taken their free time to create works based off of your creative works?

I'm totally fine with players making mods and such. Games should touch people and inspire them. Mods and artwork are evidence that you've succeeded at doing that

I seem to recall reading somewhere that originally the plot of Deus Ex was based on aliens turning people into fast food or something. Is this true and if so, approximately how long did the game have this premise before you changed the plot into what it finally became?

Deus Ex was never about aliens turning people into food. We DID do a bunch if research on a conspiracy theory about shapeshifting aliens living under the Denver airport devouring all the children who go missing each year. (That's a REAL conspiracy theory - and there's LOTS more to it than that even!) The idea was so wacky we didn't move ahead with it. Even we had our conspiratorial limits!

A lot of people seem to bash Deus ex 2, i still think it's a pretty solid game, people rarely ask you what you think about the sequel, what are your overall thoughts about invisible war?

I think DX2 was a much better game than people give it credit for. It had a lot to live up to and I think we changed too much trying to deal with what we thought of as the original game's shortcomings. (Obvioulsly, there's a lot more to say on the topic, but I should probably be working and not answering more reddit questions!)

You seem to Praise David Cage a lot
have you ever met the guy? what do you think is the thing that makes his storytelling so powerful?

I've been in a room with David Cage but I've never met him. What I think makes his storytelling so powerful is that his games are basically five interconnected movie scripts jammed together to give the illusion of player choice. That means he knows EVERYTHING it's possible to see, go and do in the game. And when you know that, you can tailor everything for maximum story impact. As a developer, I don't think that's the future of game design but as a player I enjoy the heck out of his games (mostly because he's a really talented writer).

What do you think is needed to make game specific education actually gain value rather than lose it when compared against the more general, game-adjacent options?

I think games education that focuses as much as possible on realistic development situations are the answer. In the real world you rarely get together with a couple of your buddies and make whatever the heck game you want in 4 weeks (or whatever). Based on what I see and hear that's how a lot of game dev programs work. That's a shame. We could be doing a better job preparing people for the real world. Oh, and making sure the thousands of people getting game dev degrees understand how crazy competitive the job market is! A degree guarantees you nothing. (That isn't to say it doesn't have value - it's not like I'm using my Film History-Theory-Criticism degree but I got immense value out of my college experience!)

Is the office where you work anything like the one portrayed in "Grandma's Boy"?

No movie or TV show has come close to capturing what it's like in a game studio. If you want to get as close as you can, read Austin Grossman's novel "You." It's a little like peeking behind the curtains at the old Looking Glass Studios.

Hey, Warren, did you played Shenmue back in the days? This game provided experience and immersion similar to Deus Ex in some cases. I also find your and Yu Suzuki approach to game design very unique for the end of 90s. Right now Deus Ex becoming familiar to people, do you think Shenmue deserves similar recognition?

I played Shenmue back in the day. It was interesting but it was kind of the anti-Deus Ex in its approach to gameplay, ya know? Wasn't my cup of tea but the passion behind its creation was apparent. I totally respect that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In fact, the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy participants are happily working in Unity on the game they're making - The Calm Before

The Calm Before looks really neat and unique, will we be seeing a commercial release?

The Calm Before doesn't just look neat; it IS neat. Since you asked about commercial release, we'll release it. How's that for service? (It's going to be free to download from the DSGA website and The Calm Before website. Keep your eye there.)

The gams is released for free few days ago: http://thecalmbeforegame.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom