Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warriors of Waterdeep: New D&D/Forgotten Realms mobile RPG

sstacks

Arcane
This is making its way around the twitters today:

Warriors of Waterdeep is Dungeons & Dragons’ return to mobile gaming
https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/13/warriors-of-waterdeep-is-dungeons-dragons-return-to-mobile-gaming/

Dungeons & Dragons is coming back to mobile thanks to a new partnership between Wizards of the Coast and Ludia. The two companies announced Warriors of Waterdeep today. It’s a free-to-play turn-based role-playing game coming this spring that uses card packs and centers on the Waterdeep, the gem of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting’s Sword Coast. Your party of adventurers uses the city as its base as it takes on missions.

Ludia’s first D&D game features a new narrative — unlike Neverwinter, Tales of Candlekeep, or Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms (some of the other D&Dvideo games that aren’t from Beamdog’s enhanced lineup), Warriors of Waterdeep won’t hew as closely to the annual storylines such as Tomb of Annihilation or Storm King’s Thunder. Instead, you’ll take on missions from Larael Silverhand (one of the Seven Sisters that are also the Chosen of Mystra, the goddess of magic), the open lord of Waterdeep. Mirt the Moneylender, one of Waterdeep’s renowned rascals, handles card-trading. Durnan (the famous proprietor of the The Yawning Portal Inn, which sits above an entrance to the famous Undermountain megadungeon), runs the in-game shop.

Maybe it's D&D 5E, maybe it's not (I suspect an "adapted" ruleset). But at least it looks turn based?

Incline, decline or recline... it's coming.

Infinitron

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What, another one? Is this based on some spin-off tabletop card game too?

Anyway Codex front page is PC-exclusive.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I can't sit through the whole video but by skimming through I noticed pre-named characters so I am guessing no chargen. Also, I don't understand why the loot is by way of cards? Is this to evoke interest from the pokeman community?

I wish Hasbro would only make real rpgs with their landmark rpg. They keep going for the kid crowd and leaving the adults behind. Just think how popular SCL would have been if they just implemented the actual rules and tried to make it D&D for thinking people instead of retarded kids. Well, for one thing no one on the codex would have liked it and it would have joined WL2 DC as being shit-on but loved by the couple gaylords on this site that still like rpgs.

sstacks

Arcane
Re: the cards:

'Warriors of Waterdeep will make money off selling players packs of cards. However, this isn’t a card-battler such as Hearthstone (which leads its $1 billion-plus market). You use cards to customize characters and upgrade equipment. You do earn packs from completing chapters in the Story Mode, Wark said, as well as from beating leaders and bosses and from “certain level-up thresholds.” You can also merge duplicate cards for better effects. Characters have up to six weapons, 12 different pieces of armor, four class items, and four wondrous items, which Wark said players can select “to create individual and team synergies.”'

sstacks

Arcane
I can't sit through the whole video but by skimming through I noticed pre-named characters so I am guessing no chargen. Also, I don't understand why the loot is by way of cards? Is this to evoke interest from the pokeman community?

They're going after the mobile market and the card game market, which are both strong $$$ wise. Not saying it's really D&D, just saying that's what they're doing.

As for chargen, it's a bit fuzzy based on their wording but I am suspecting pregen only:

"Players choose a character from one of 12 classes and nine races. Wark said the roster right now includes:

1. Shevarith — Human Wizard
  2. Halbenet — Elf Cleric
  3. Tommus — Halfling Fighter
  4. Naomlen — Dwarf Rogue
  5. Saarvin — Dragonborn Ranger
  6. Farideh — Tiefling Warlock
  7. Raika — Half-orc Barbarian"

I wish Hasbro would only make real rpgs with their landmark rpg. They keep going for the kid crowd and leaving the adults behind. Just think how popular SCL would have been if they just implemented the actual rules and tried to make it D&D

Agreed. I just want a faithful, turn-based adaptation of 5e (or any edition, really).

Morkar Left

Re: the cards:

'Warriors of Waterdeep will make money off selling players packs of cards. However, this isn’t a card-battler such as Hearthstone (which leads its $1 billion-plus market). You use cards to customize characters and upgrade equipment. You do earn packs from completing chapters in the Story Mode, Wark said, as well as from beating leaders and bosses and from “certain level-up thresholds.” You can also merge duplicate cards for better effects. Characters have up to six weapons, 12 different pieces of armor, four class items, and four wondrous items, which Wark said players can select “to create individual and team synergies.”'

In other words; it's shit.

Mustawd

Man...I don't even know what to make of this. In a way it feels out of left field, especially since they already have MtG.

But I'm guessing they feel it's dumb to not at least try to get some Hearthstone fans into D&D.

On the other hand I've been looking for some halfway decent game to grind away on on my tablet when I just feel like turning my brain off completely. Also, turn based with isometric combat view. The art is pretty meh, but whatever. Looks like TL games, so that's fine.

Might check it out.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

They're going after the mobile market and the card game market, which are both strong $$$ wise. Not saying it's really D&D, just saying that's what they're doing.

As for chargen, it's a bit fuzzy based on their wording but I am suspecting pregen only:

"Players choose a character from one of 12 classes and nine races. Wark said the roster right now includes:

1. Shevarith — Human Wizard
  2. Halbenet — Elf Cleric
  3. Tommus — Halfling Fighter
  4. Naomlen — Dwarf Rogue
  5. Saarvin — Dragonborn Ranger
  6. Farideh — Tiefling Warlock
  7. Raika — Half-orc Barbarian"

I wish Hasbro would only make real rpgs with their landmark rpg. They keep going for the kid crowd and leaving the adults behind. Just think how popular SCL would have been if they just implemented the actual rules and tried to make it D&D

Agreed. I just want a faithful, turn-based adaptation of 5e (or any edition, really).

Someone was making a 4e (or 5e maybe?) adaption in rpgmaker called Red Hand or something like that. It looked great and the demo was great. You can probably thank your highbrow, sophisticated, and long-term thinking compadres here for stopping it since they all whined he was using placeholder assets and other nonsense. I really have a hard time understanding how supposed rpg fans just constantly shit on all the new real rpgs, or rpgs being made we should all want.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Has anyone ever played a card based anything that was remotely good? I don't have experience with pure trading card games, but I've tried and returned tons of shitty fake rpgs for claiming to be rpgs but being TCGs. I just don't get it. Rpgs beat trading card and trading card mechanics 10 times out of ten. Why do we let children ruin our hobby?

Mustawd

Some interesting tidbits from the article:

Business reason for the game

Market research firm Newzoo estimated that mobile gaming brought in more than $50 billion in 2017, and right now, the only D&Dgame on mobile is the digital adaptation of the Lords of Waterdeep board game.

More on combat and cards

Warriors of Waterdeep’s turn-based combat is on a grid, as you can see in the video. Ludia is using an adaptation, and it will include classic aspects of D&D combat, such as spells and monsters like the gelatinous cube (it’s a monster that’s basically a giant cube of Jell-O, and it eats everything in its path)

Warriors of Waterdeep will make money off selling players packs of cards. However, this isn’t a card-battler such as Hearthstone (which leads its $1 billion-plus market). You use cards to customize characters and upgrade equipment. You do earn packs from completing chapters in the Story Mode, Wark said, as well as from beating leaders and bosses and from “certain level-up thresholds.” You can also merge duplicate cards for better effects.

Mustawd

Someone was making a 4e (or 5e maybe?) adaption in rpgmaker called Red Hand or something like that

Someone made a demo in 2014, and some asshole decided to use that as a base for his kickstarter. So he was basically stealing the original dude's work. Of which apparently he abandonded a long time ago. The game was called Red Hand of Doom, after the D&D 3.5 PnP module.

And to answer your question Roqua, I played and enjoyed Duelyst, which I eventually dropped for some reason I can't remember.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Someone was making a 4e (or 5e maybe?) adaption in rpgmaker called Red Hand or something like that

Someone made a demo in 2014, and some asshole decided to use that as a base for his kickstarter. So he was basically stealing the original dude's work. Of which apparently he abandonded a long time ago. The game was called Red Hand of Doom, after the D&D 3.5 PnP module.

And to answer your question Roqua, I played and enjoyed Duelyst, which I eventually dropped for some reason I can't remember.

Are you 100% certain it wasn't the original guy that started the kickstarter?

Mustawd

Yes. 100%. The original dev has been inactive for years. The guy who made the kickstarter campaign was the same dude who made a bunch of other shit rpgmaker games unrelated to D&D.

The only difference between the original and his demo was that he changed the UI slightly.

Fluent did an LP video of the KS demo, and I provided a link to the video of the original. Side by side they were almost identical. When I pointed this out the guy canceled the KS and we haven't seen him since.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Looks every bit as gay as I hoped it would.

Can't wait to never touch it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What the fuck is the deal with mobile shit and trading cards? I hate trading cards. I hate Gwent. I hate Hearthstone.
Just make a fucking turn based RPG for mobiles god damn it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone ever played a card based anything that was remotely good?

I also liked Duelyst a lot, and Card Hunter before that, but I found them too greedy of my time and money:

When purchasing boosters, you get very little value for what you paid for (it is all relative, I know, but let's say I was quite underwhelmed of the things I got for 50€ on each), and the game nags you to play it every day (or you miss on "free quests", "first win of the day", instead of letting you play whenever you want and feel happy about it (because playing after you completed the free quests or past the point of quickly decreasing rewards, you get very little unlock per hour spent).

And these trends exist for every collectible card game. And it's not like the rewards are unnecessary to enjoy the game: unlike in Planetside for instance, the cool thing here is playing with cards and finding out cool combos.
As a player who doesn't want to invest all of his time / money into it, you will have to scrap all the sub-optimal cards to try to be able to afford a playable deck, so it detracts from trying fun but noncompetitive setups.

I have very little hope this one can end up any better.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

You probably dropped it because you are older than 11.

Yes. 100%. The original dev has been inactive for years. The guy who made the kickstarter campaign was the same dude who made a bunch of other shit rpgmaker games unrelated to D&D.

The only difference between the original and his demo was that he changed the UI slightly.

Fluent did an LP video of the KS demo, and I provided a link to the video of the original. Side by side they were almost identical. When I pointed this out the guy canceled the KS and we haven't seen him since.

...Was his name Monty Markland?

Nael

Arcane
This is making its way around the twitters today:

Warriors of Waterdeep is Dungeons & Dragons’ return to mobile gaming
https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/13/warriors-of-waterdeep-is-dungeons-dragons-return-to-mobile-gaming/

Dungeons & Dragons is coming back to mobile thanks to a new partnership between Wizards of the Coast and Ludia. The two companies announced Warriors of Waterdeep today. It’s a free-to-play turn-based role-playing game coming this spring that uses card packs and centers on the Waterdeep, the gem of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting’s Sword Coast. Your party of adventurers uses the city as its base as it takes on missions.

Ludia’s first D&D game features a new narrative — unlike Neverwinter, Tales of Candlekeep, or Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms (some of the other D&Dvideo games that aren’t from Beamdog’s enhanced lineup), Warriors of Waterdeep won’t hew as closely to the annual storylines such as Tomb of Annihilation or Storm King’s Thunder. Instead, you’ll take on missions from Larael Silverhand (one of the Seven Sisters that are also the Chosen of Mystra, the goddess of magic), the open lord of Waterdeep. Mirt the Moneylender, one of Waterdeep’s renowned rascals, handles card-trading. Durnan (the famous proprietor of the The Yawning Portal Inn, which sits above an entrance to the famous Undermountain megadungeon), runs the in-game shop.

Maybe it's D&D 5E, maybe it's not (I suspect an "adapted" ruleset). But at least it looks turn based?

Incline, decline or recline... it's coming.

Infinitron

ENOUGH GODDAMN TRYHARD WANNABE WOW GRAPHICS. FUCK THAT SHIT IS CANCER.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So this thing is now released globally...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warriors-of-waterdeep/id1159441255
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ludia.dnd

Also
dollars.png
dollars.png
dollars.png
: https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/29/warriors-of-waterdeep-dd-mobile-rpg-launches-on-ios-and-android/

Warriors of Waterdeep is a free-to-play turn-based RPG. You assemble a team of heroes and take on the monsters and other forces looking to do in the City of Splendors. It also offers player-vs.-player combat with teams of four heroes. You use equipment upgrades and level up your characters to get stronger. You can use gold, which is an in-game currency reward, or you can buy gems.

Where it fits

party.png

Above: Adventurers, Assemble!
Image Credit: Ludia

Warriors of Waterdeep tells its own story about helping Laeral Silverhand, the Open Lord of Waterdeep (and one of the famous Seven Sisters). Mirt the Moneylender, one of Waterdeep’s renowned rascals, handles the card-trading. Duran, the famous proprietor of The Yawning Portal Inn (which sits above an entrance to the infamous Undermountain megadungeon), runs the in-game shop. You defend Waterdeep. The story does have some Easter eggs and references to other storylines:
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen
  • Storm King’s Thunder
  • Curse of Strahd
  • Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (eventually)
It offers eight characters among eight classes and player races.
  • Calliope: Half-Elf Bard
  • Farideh: Tiefling Warlock
  • Halbenet: Elf Cleric
  • Naomlen: Dwarf Rogue
  • Raika: Half-Orc Barbarian
  • Saarvin: Dragonborn Ranger
  • Shevarith: Human Wizard
  • Tommus: Halfling Fighter
The microtransactions
chest.png

Above: Watch out for traps!
Image Credit: Ludia

These are the in-game transactions, according to Ludia:
  • Gold: This pays for equipment upgrades and character level-ups.
  • Equipment packs/chests: These are randomized gear packs for specific characters or generic chests for unlocked heroes (lootboxes).
  • Battle chest speedups: These instantly unlock a reward chest you earn in Battle mode.
  • Revive: It’s a “Mass Resurrection” — restores a defeated party of heroes to full health in Explore and Challenge mode.
This is how you earn gold and equipment from lootboxes:
  • Playing Explore Mode (the story mode)
  • Chests from completing dungeons (this is D&D, after all). These have five rarities. The base contents depend on your overall progress
  • Completing chapters and themes bag you Leader and Boss packs
  • Secret Room chests from the Challenge (“Gauntlet”) Mode appear at random
  • A random draw from a 20-item Reward List in Challenge mode (from Ludia: Earn up to three dice by defeating the Boss up to three times; roll against the Reward List; then choose the preferred result)
  • Secret chests you find at random
  • Hero chests that you find at random for specific characters at specific levels
  • Time-locked Battle chests from PvP — five rarities, and base contents depend on your ranking in PvP
  • Brawl chest from 8 Battle victories
  • Free Mystery chests every 4 hours
You can also get a VIP subscription for $10 a month. This gives you an equipment pack, a daily VIP chest, occasional coin and gem rewards, and an extra Brawl chest reward.

None of the modes are time-gated — the only timers are on Battle chests rewards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom