Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Was Duke Nukem Forever a victim of SJW and faggots or...

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
was it really just a bad game?

I've been curious for a while about this. Codex is the place to get SJW-free opinions, so I must ask: is the game worth playing?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's fucking awful. You can have four guns at once max (patched up from two). The game is a melange of shitty gimmicks you find its various contemporaries. Platforming, puzzles, vehicle sections, etc.

Also you're trying too hard with this anti-SJW shit today. Take a break.

pippin

It was too late. Everything enjoyable it could have, even as a popamole shooter, was lost due to development hell. Like Chinese Democracy. I don't think anyone would ever get to enjoy it, because the prejudice is simply too great.
SJWs have nothing to do here. The game features the same humor as older Duke games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The humor is a bit different. It's more 'intentionally offensive' than older Duke games. The developers made that the focus versus the gameplay and it shows. It plays like a bad parody of a Duke game rather than a Duke game itself.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Considering that it has wall tits one can slap, probably not. It's just a craptastic shooter compared to D3D.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Ignored. Enjoy your circlejerk dumbass.

Such I great loss. I really can't stop weeping over the fact that some shitposter ignored me.

Also you're trying too hard with this anti-SJW shit today. Take a break.

If you're refering to Hatred, I've a legitimate interest on that game. Duke as well, since I skipped it game but kept asking myself if I didn't get "played".

Nah, DNF was a bad game that tried too hard to be edgy in order to make up for how bad it was.

DN3D was a great game that would still be great if you stripped away the tits and action hero quotations. Those were just window dressings to make the game more memorable.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Everything I've heard about Duke Nukem Forever suggests that it suffers from a lack of cohesion in gameplay, and all the individual sections either are unremarkable or badly done. The gunplay also doesn't seem too satisfying, and the humour is frankly more disgusting than tongue in cheek vulgarity. It's disgusting not because it goes against any group or something, but because what I have seen of it often feels like it just uses cheap jokes with no attempt to give a sense of timing or to be clever.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I haven't played a second of this game but here are my insightful comments providing completely subjective arguments on it.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So, okay, people complaining about "muh feelings" were just :deadhorse:, game is pretty shit on its own. Thank you, guys.

A horse of course

It's a genuinely awful game. There was a certain degree of prudishness from reviewers that was not present in reaction to the originals - an attitude to sex and violence that is very common in modern gnomes journalism, where they pretend extreme violence and "edgy" content was not a huge part of the appeal of games like Mortal Kombat or Doom and insist that modern games have gone "too far" with "gorenography". Yet there were times when the game did depart from the humour of the original and portray Duke as an absolutely vile shithead rather than the mix of affectionately dumb parody/homage from DN3d. The part where there were caverns full of impregnated babes whimpering and moaning and begging for their daddies - and Duke's schizophrenic reaction to this - was overdoing it. Obviously similar sections were present in DN3d ("kill.....me") but not as creepy and unpleasant. Whether that's an issue of intent or implementation I don't know. But it was a bad game, period. The DLC is also terrible but moves through the different environments and scenarios more swiftly, which is a bonus.

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
DNF was shit due to pisspoor gameplay, it was quite clear that it was cobbled together vapourware. The pacing, guns and everything else were entirely off and the game was very unpolished. It had some fun moments but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, those fucking vehichle sections are enough for me to never want to play it ever again. Of course the moral police said it was bad because of muh politics, but they were right that it was bad, just not for the reasons given in most reviews.

Dev_Anj

Learned
I haven't played a second of this game but here are my insightful comments providing completely subjective arguments on it.

Were you parodying me? I was just stating what impressions the game gave to me. Obviously I'm not going to play every game in the world, not when they cost money and I barely have the time or interest to play them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Man up. I paid $1 for it just to say I played it and to give an AUTHORITATIVE opinion.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
The game was a failure in every way from FPS fundamentals (weapons, enemies and ultra linear level design with and abundance of turret, enemy waves and vehicle sections) to failing to capture the Duke Nukem humor, vibe and character, the overall feeling of trying too hard on that front was present throughout most of the game (with as other pointed out, instances where Duke just comes off as a vile SOB). You can't even use your Mighty Foot FFS.

If you're thirsty for more Duke after DN3D you're better off trying out Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, it's a much better Duke game despite being a 2.5D shoot and jump platformer.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Posting in obvious bored troll thread.

DNF was just banal shit boring.
It was just cashbait (with Alien CM) to grab money and spend it on developing Borderlands2. Master plan by Gearbox/Pitchfork.
End of the story.

Go play DNF mod for DN3D or DukePlus.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
DNF is a huge steaming pile of shit, yeah. To give praise where it's deserved, though, the DLC involving Dr. Proton is somewhat fun to play through, which should raise the game's rating to 3/10 or even 4/10.

Not often that DLC can raise the rating of a game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom