Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yay! Although I wouldn't be that unhappy if you guys pushed it back another half a year assuming it'd help the final quality.

sea
Has any new content been added to the early areas of the game since the last update? Curious not for those who didn't like the first part(Don't give a shit about them) but just for people like me who've played 100+ hours of the beta. I'm willing to trudge through them again for the second half of course, but it'd be nice to experience something fresh, even if minor.(More skill checks or little quests for the sake of content density.)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea
Has any new content been added to the early areas of the game since the last update? Curious not for those who didn't like the first part(Don't give a shit about them) but just for people like me who've played 100+ hours of the beta. I'm willing to trudge through them again for the second half of course, but it'd be nice to experience something fresh, even if minor.(More skill checks or little quests for the sake of content density.)
Most old areas got updated with new environmental stuff (for example, alarms and traps/land mines/etc. are now far more common), UI has been given a layer of revision and polishing, obviously bugs have been fixed, lots of little tweaks and additions to quests, and I know that we've done a big texture/graphics/sound effects pass over almost all of Arizona. A lot of areas now look and sound substantially better.

Nothing we haven't talked about in Kickstarter updates already. :P

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's going gold within the next two weeks. :cool:

Naturally I'm going to be annoyed if there's a big patch to download like D:OS, then again maybe I should just wait a month or so for them to patch the biggest issues. Though I have the feeling it'll be more polished than D:OS at release since they're not creating content up to the last second and beyond (plus unlike D:OS they have the entire first half of the game available to be tested by backers instead of the first 25%).

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
They will create content up to the last moment and beyond because they will realize that another layer of complexity brought by a perk system would be fundamental for this game not to be bland.
:deadhorse:

7d3b540390d6a4a5717f30c25a67d4a6_large.png

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That looks like Dan Hindes, editor of Sneaky Bastards and Gamespot Australia and one of the rare competent video game journalists.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Most old areas got updated with new environmental stuff (for example, alarms and traps/land mines/etc. are now far more common), UI has been given a layer of revision and polishing, obviously bugs have been fixed, lots of little tweaks and additions to quests, and I know that we've done a big texture/graphics/sound effects pass over almost all of Arizona. A lot of areas now look and sound substantially better.

Nothing we haven't talked about in Kickstarter updates already. :P

So in other words: No.

:lol:

What a shame. First half of the game, barring the monk area, is about as interesting as a 25 hour Temple of Trials marathon. Got a feeling it'll be a long time before I have the energy to unenthusiastically encounter all that nothing again.

Though I have the feeling it'll be more polished than D:OS at release

This requires qualifying what you're considering "polished". If that means "as close to final as inXile sees it" then maybe. If that means "resembling a finished and well-designed cRPG" then, no.

Perkel

Arcane
Though I have the feeling it'll be more polished than D:OS at release

If it would be polished a little less than DOS then it would be second most polished RPG. Obsidian, InXile, even popa bioware are yet to release RPG as polished as DOS.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This requires qualifying what you're considering "polished". If that means "as close to final as inXile sees it" then maybe. If that means "resembling a finished and well-designed cRPG" then, no.
By polished I mean barely any bugs at all and balance in a more-or-less finished state.

If it would be polished a little less than DOS then it would be second most polished RPG. Obsidian, InXile, even popa bioware are yet to release RPG as polished as DOS.
Dungeon Siege III and probably South Park were more polished than D:OS. They would have to be, considering their significantly smaller scope.

Lol, DOS is polished, say that to the backlog of incompletable bugged quests in my journal, obviously it's different for everyone, so my personal experience isn't worth much, but comments and reviews referencing bugs seem commonplace, and they don't have the reputation that Obsidian has.(Where the game is treated like a bowl of soup and a single bug is an outrage.)

Seems no more or less buggy than most big RPGs, Obsidian or not. Who knows if W2 will be smoother, but right now it's ridiculously buggy, to the point where I have had a few concerns, (As to why they put ridiculously unfinished areas in the beta.) but fingers crossed that it's not a big deal on release.

Wow, very lucky, I've had plenty, including after the beta, like crashing on saving. Something I also experienced in the W2 beta, but didn't expect to encounter in a released game. Judging by the change logs with the patches it was a thing.

58 hours, couple of minor bugs, could probably count on one hand.
As for crashes, experienced 5-6, was a save game crash, fixed second day I believe.
I've had one more crash since the save game issue was fixed.

To be honest I was counting my full play time but only my release bugs, since talking about alpha/beta bugs seemed worthless. In any case, crashing is rare, instead I was referencing lack of polish in the form of in game bugs, and there are a few, issues in combat with things not working right, visual bugs like no heads, floating clothes as people, people being permanently outlined even when I turn the outlining off, etc. And many many bugs relating to control of PCs and henchmen. it's actually difficult to recount because they didn't affect me greatly. My woman on the other hand has quit/restarted due to these bugs many times.

Real issues have been unfinishable quests, I know these to be issues because a different character would go the same route and triggers would play progressing. On my furthest I have many quests that are stuck because of some broken trigger, it makes me sad. It also had some placeholder icons on release, like the leadership bonus for instance.

Look at that gay stance, that little leg
selfejected.png

:cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom