Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Raapys

Arcane
Ye, Unity is the answer you are looking for.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Remember, XCOM enemy unknown is a HUGE team who have pretty much unlimited resources at their disposal. And, their engine is I think Unreal Engine which I prefer to Unity.

soulburner

Cipher
Can anyone tell me why is Unity so popular? It's probably developer friendly, but... so is Unreal Engine, for example. So maybe the licence is cheaper, but is it a big difference?

Whiran

Magister
I didn't see this here yet.

Brother None pointed out over at the official Wasteland 2 forums that the coming patch for the beta will be the Gold Master version of the game.
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7759&p=111927#p111856

Re: Beta Update
by strd » July 23rd, 2014, 10:43 am

Brother None wrote:Haha, you guys are too much.

Also, from Chris

excellent! A new update will be out by the end of the month too. It's a nice leap from the current live code.

Cool beans, is this the gold master build thats save compatible with the day one patch?
strd
by Brother None » July 23rd, 2014, 11:42 am

Gold master, yes, but we're not guaranteeing compatibility with final, no. Work is gonna be intense between gold master and release.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I didn't see this here yet.

Brother None pointed out over at the official Wasteland 2 forums that the coming patch for the beta will be the Gold Master version of the game.
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7759&p=111927#p111856

by strd » July 23rd, 2014, 10:43 am

Brother None wrote:Haha, you guys are too much.

Also, from Chris

excellent! A new update will be out by the end of the month too. It's a nice leap from the current live code.

Cool beans, is this the gold master build thats save compatible with the day one patch?
strd
by Brother None » July 23rd, 2014, 11:42 am

Gold master, yes, but we're not guaranteeing compatibility with final, no. Work is gonna be intense between gold master and release.

I don't get it. Isn't the gold master supposed to be the final release version of the game? BN talks about them like they're two different things.

soulburner

Cipher
Yes, gold master is the "1.0" version. We live in the world of day one patches, though, so that's probably what BN means.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gold master just means "Release to Manufacturing", it is just the version you print. This is the version that's going on discs. It'll be stable, playable and complete, but there'll be another month of crunch gone into the day 1 patch so we'll strenuously recommend people update it. Which one you want to call 1.0 I don't care much about, but probably the day one patched version.

The beta will still be only half the game obviously, but it'll be updated to the current version, with all the tweaks, balancing, optimization, additions to levels and new elements (minimaps) that come with it.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
2D backgrounds/animations requires nothing but more memory, I'm pretty sure largely system RAM rather than virtual RAM. At worst it will run around the same as Shadowrun Returns.

I'll bet an onboard Intel GPU chip will run the game no problem.

Von Neumann Bottleneck

Data doesn't just require space. It has to be transported between storage and processors (cpu and gpu). Unfortunately bus speeds haven't improved at the rate of everything else. You can have the fastest CPU/GPU in the world but unless it has data to work on they're just going to sit around waiting.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't care about day one patch. If 1.0 is shit, then should be rated accordingly as a shitty game. Receiving a game and during the week/month it takes for me to finish it I receive large ass patches that tweak balance, polish the game because its crappy also ruins my gaming experience.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Sensuki Heh, sorry. That probably seemed a bit left-field. Bad editing of an ever growing, original post. I agree with all you've written, the performance is a software problem not a hardware problem. Which could be good news, since it means there's potential hugs and rainbows improvement for everyone. I imagine shihonage was onto something when he mentioned abstraction bloat. Given how late they were still tinkering with the mechanics and all that, it's likely their is code is well organised rather than well optimised. Hopefully, now that everything's settled the performance will increase.

Tell me 3 logical reasons (besides graphical fidelity) why does this game needs more power by several orders than a Pentium IV.

It doesn't need more power. It needs more performant code but you can't write that until you know what it is the code should be doing. Not to mention what it shouldn't be doing. The biggest advantage old games have is that they are finished. W2 isn't.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't care about day one patch. If 1.0 is shit, then should be rated accordingly as a shitty game. Receiving a game and during the week/month it takes for me to finish it I receive large ass patches that tweak balance, polish the game because its crappy also ruins my gaming experience.
If not for a retail release, the day-one-patch version would be the only one you'd be able to play.

Imagine rating Divinity: Original Sin based on how it would play without the day one patch they forced on everyone through Steam DRM. :)

Endemic

Arcane
Von Neumann Bottleneck

Data doesn't just require space. It has to be transported between storage and processors (cpu and gpu). Unfortunately bus speeds haven't improved at the rate of everything else. You can have the fastest CPU/GPU in the world but unless it has data to work on they're just going to sit around waiting.

QPI\Hypertransport takes care of that no problem. Storage devices are the bottleneck in most systems.

Back to WL2, looks like I'll be waiting till after the patch to play it...

Epsilon

Cipher
Is the beta still just a chunk of the final game, meaning it doesn't contain all the areas of the final version?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
inXile better hope LA is the Wasteland equivalent of Dragonfall or there'll be hell to pay. The ultimate anti-climax.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Back to WL2, looks like I'll be waiting till after the patch to play it...
In order to accommodate a disc-based version, there is a turn-around time required for manufacturing. I don't expect there's going to be anyone who has to actually wait on that patch to be released once they get the boxed version - just that we need a working playable "1.0" for those users who choose to not update. Anyone who gets the game digitally (which includes all backers getting a boxed copy) will have the latest version.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
just that we need a working playable "1.0" for those users who choose to not update.

I don't think anyone "chooses" to not update. What the hell. But some people would prefer to not have an unusable disk (see Larian) or be forced to install Steam to update.
Or a disk version that's 3 quarters of the final version.
I assume you could have waited until a REALLY FINAL HONEST TO GOD version until you sent it to manufacturing, but hey it's not like inXile is the only one doing this kind of patches. If you call it a patch it's totally not finishing the game after you already said you finished it.

Which brings me to the question... if the disk version won't require Steam will you provide alternate means of updating? Or do you just assume that those users don't want to update...

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Am I the only one worried by the fact that a release date hasn't been announced... the game is supposed to release next month. If there is one thing inXile needs to improve on, it's their development timelines.

Darkzone

Arcane
DosBuster said:
Am I the only one worried by the fact that a release date hasn't been announced... the game is supposed to release next month. If there is one thing inXile needs to improve on, it's their development timelines.
From my perspective: Yes. They have a running beta and they will not run away, with the money to the bahamas. There is still a lot of work that have to be done at this construction zone, and if a release date is announced then mostly it will be postponed, resulting in the same problems that Swen Vincke had with the postponement of D:OS. So guys at InXile keep working, and if it is ready, then postpone it at least for a week, where you test and play it for yourself, and if you are satisfied then do it again for a week, and then do it again till you see all the strong points and weaknesses of your product. Because this should be the first base for a T:ToN home run. Second base is a game, where its weaknesses are the strong points of other games. The Third base i will explain later.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I'm not worried about them running off with the money, it's just that around the middle of 2013 they said they were "six weeks behind schedule of being feature complete". Even if you consider that with the early access release, it's still off. I for one hope a postmortem will be released, something tells me sometime during 2013 something went wrong in development (as it does with all games), and I really am curious to see what happened in development.

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm not worried about them running off with the money, it's just that around the middle of 2013 they said they were "six weeks behind schedule of being feature complete". Even if you consider that with the early access release, it's still off. I for one hope a postmortem will be released, something tells me sometime during 2013 something went wrong in development (as it does with all games), and I really am curious to see what happened in development.
Perhaps they still iterate on many things? Perhaps they are not satisfied with their work? (Which is not bad, because if you are satisfied then you have lost the perspective for your weaknesses. )
But what i do not believe is that we will hear what went wrong in the development. Fargo was playing the sunnyboy the whole time, instead of speaking the straight truth, if really something went wrong. I think they should play more with open cards, because we would forgive and help if something went from tracks.

Darkzone

Arcane
Thank you Infinitron.
I missed the whole GOG Galaxy thing, despite a GOG account. For a GOG Galaxy a 'low' high profile game like Wasteland 2 is good for start to have.
I have also assumed that the release date for Wasteland 2 will be the August 31st, but this was not based on any solid statements from InXile, but more on snippets gathered from here and InXile's forum.
Hmm. CD Project is currently investing much in different departments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom