Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It hasn't even gone gold yet. I'm assuming they'll announce the release date once that happens. Last week of August more than likely. Probably not the 31st because that's a Sunday. Crazy potatoes.

Darkzone

Arcane
Crazy potatoes.
I don't know why here is an association between the poles and potatoes? Poles eat far less potatoes then germans, russians, irish or english or any other north, west or middle european. Wodka is made of rye. Poland is more famous for other things than potatoes.
In germay we have the polish goose for christmas, but with good traditional german potatoes. Germans do not import potatoes from poland. (At least not on larger scale.) The french would drink wodka, but never eat polish potatoes.
In germany the Ausländer are calling the germans potatoes.
But if you say that the polish people are crazy or with very unusual individual traits, i have to agree.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Darkzone, developers often write up post postmortems and put them on gamasutra. They're mainly used to help either game development students or just general people.

Secondly, a GOG galaxy launch would make sense I guess, however inXile did say they were using their own installer and patching system.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Captain, I'm curious. Why is there an association between the Poles and potatoes? Poles eat far less potatoes than Germans, Russians, Irish or English or any other North, West or Middle European. Wodka is made of rye. Poland is more famous for other things than potatoes.

In Germany they have the Polish goose for Christmas, but with good traditional German potatoes. Germans do not import potatoes from Poland. (At least not on larger scale.) The French would drink wodka, but never eat Polish potatoes.
In Germany the Ausländer are calling the Germans potatoes.

Number One, will you please unplug Mr.Data

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
O don't know why here is an association between the poles and potatoes? Poles eat far less potatoes then germans, russians, irish or english or any other north, west or middle european. Wodka is made of rye. Poland is more famous for other things than potatoes.
In germay we have the polish goose for christmas, but with good traditional german potatoes. Germans do not import potatoes from poland. (At least not on larger scale.) The french would drink wodka, but never eat polish potatoes.
In germany the Ausländer are calling the germans potatoes.
But if you say that the polish people are crazy or with very unusual individual traits, i have to agree.
This is the song that never ends;
yes, it goes on and on my friend.
Somebody started singing it not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because

Darkzone

Arcane
Darkzone, developers often write up post postmortems and put them on gamasutra. They're mainly used to help either game development students or just general people.

Secondly, a GOG galaxy launch would make sense I guess, however inXile did say they were using their own installer and patching system.
I have understood what you have meant, but the Kickstarter was the best way to communicate their problems during the development, but for a review of the whole development process a postmortem would be good. Did inXile post any postmortem of any of their games, like: the bard's tale, choplifter or Hunted demon's forge?

shihonage said:
Number One, will you please unplug Mr.Data

Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered, I just don't see it.

Thank you Roguey.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't think anyone "chooses" to not update.
I may have misspoke there. What I meant to say was, there is a portion of users in certain markets who do not have access to fast Internet connections and therefore are less likely to get games digitally or download updates.

RE: patches for the disc-based version, I will ask around and see if I can get some news on that.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If "patches" require downloading the entire game over again like non-Steam Shadowrun Returns, fuck that shit.

On twitter Fargo said:
"In more important news we look to have a substantial Wasteland 2 update in next week. Far more logical drop sets and so much more."

imweasel

I started the game up again for the first time since March. Inxile has really polished the game up nicely. :)

I took an in-depth look at the stats during character creation this time. It feels so odd that skills are not directly linked to a character's attributes (only indirectly with the ranged/melee critcal hit boni).

That's a funny name, but not as funny as thomas beeker.
hair_3.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have to say it's pretty damn concerning that it sounds like their gold master will be made on Thursday at the earliest. They've had a little over two months of feature-complete bug-fixing/content-polishing, yet it seems like they're really struggling when it comes to putting it together. We'll know for certain if there's big trouble ahead if the updated beta has severe bugs, bad optimization, and rough balance.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to say it's pretty damn concerning that it sounds like their gold master will be made on Thursday at the earliest.
What? Why? The scheduled release isn't for another month. Pressing the CDs won't take nearly that long. Sounds like they're still on schedule to me.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
We'll know for certain if there's big trouble ahead if the updated beta has severe bugs, bad optimization, and rough balance.

And who would be there to play the updated beta when it comes out? And whats the point at this stage?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.guycocker.com/2014/07/30/episode-39-inxile-entertainment/

Episode 39 – inXile Entertainment

On this week’s show, games journalist Guy Cocker talks to Brian Fargo and Thomas Beekers of inXile Entertainment, creators of Wasteland 2, which is set to be a spiritual successor to the original Fallout games. They discuss free games being accidentally given away by GOG, the Uncharted film due in 2016 and their favourite apocalypse-set movies and games.

For more information on all of the topics discussed in this week’s show, check out the running order here.

Check out this episode!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sea posts from WL2 forums:

sea said:
I will say that in the next beta update you should see a lot more in the way of Ranger activity throughout Arizona, to make the whole organization feel a little more alive. Think radio messages, coming across other teams, and that sort of thing.

sea said:
I will also point out that our contracted QA team (who are all super talented, awesome and dedicated, and know the game as well as some of our own team at this point) specifically test non-standard things, like leaving a location while a certain quest or event is in progress, or doing a "murder playthrough" where they shoot everyone on sight, to see how the game responds, in addition to just playing "the right way". Their help does include mostly bug reports, but also extends to logical errors, quest oversights, etc. - we want all the feedback we can get from them.

Chris Keenan has also been working hard on doing balance passes. I recently played the early game again and was super impressed at how much the overall gameplay experience had improved as far as loot, challenge level, little fine details, etc. goes, and you can expect that sort of detail by final release (though some of those things may not totally make it into the beta update).

The entire team is plugging away right now to ensure the next beta update is as polished as possible. Will it be completely bug-free? Knowing how games go, there's probably a few small things that'll slip through, but it'll definitely be by far the most polished release by far, and will only get better between now and final release (and beyond!).

imweasel

Update!

The End is Coming!!

I felt this title was quite reminiscent of the media clickbait we’re seeing right now. Also, quite fitting as a status update for our multi-year journey that is Wasteland 2. Anyways, enough about the title and on to some exciting info on my personal favorite game right now, Wasteland 2.

Before we get into the fun stuff, a quick note on the release date. It’s pretty likely that we will slip into the first or second week in September due to fulfillment of the physical goods and discs. We will give an exact date as soon as we know it.

Hollywood Loading Screen

New Code Update Live For All Backers
In Kickstarter update 51, we announced that we were opening up the Early Access version on Steam for all backers. Some of you jumped in and started playing, others said they want to wait until it’s complete before experiencing it. Whichever camp you’re in, the code update has been pushed to Steam and is patiently waiting for you. This will be our last code update before the game is finalized. Quite a bittersweet moment for us…

We are still improving the game on the way to our release date. So with the update after this one, you’ll get all of the fixes and polish that is ongoing, which will have a day 1 update for physical disc backers. If you’re receiving your copy in a digital format, the first download will be for the day 1 update and final game.

What’s New in this Build?
When we pulled the changelist from our source control (since the last update), it was 551 uncurated PAGES of bug fixes, polish and iterated features. This list has been reduced down and can be read in its entirety (but why would you want to do that?!?) here. Some of the main things you’ll notice in this build:

• Huge balance pass across all elements of the game
  • Enemy AI/Enemy Stats/Damage/Weapons/Dropsets/Skill Use
  • Added a mini-map
  • Lots of new optimizations to memory and load times
  • Tons of new UI improvements (visual and functional)
  • New audio added across the board (weapons/enemies/ambient/player events)
  • Large visual effects pass in all levels
  • Oh-so-much general clean-up/polish and iteration
Preview Press Tour
Our Leader in Exile, Brian Fargo is in Germany right now with our token European Superstar, Thomas (pronounced Bakers) Beekers. They have had many meetings in London and are now in Hamburg getting ready for the next round of presentations. So far, it sounds like things have been going great. Keep an eye out for some great press in the very near future!

Ranger Keenan Out
This will probably be the last update you’ll read from me before the game is released. I’m sure we will continue them as we put out post release patches but this marks a somewhat heavy-hearted moment for me. It’s been one hell of a journey.

My life and outlook on the future of games has been irreversibly changed from the generosity and passion of each of you who made this happen. I will always remember spending 12 hours per day with our President Matt Findley, answering private messages while the Kickstarter was live. This instantly made it all real and created a bond with the (eventual) players that I had never experienced before in game development. When you’re seeing message after message saying “I’m not sure how I can pay rent next month, but I needed to get an NPC in this game!”, it adds a level of intensity to the process that I can’t imagine finding anywhere else. We owed it to you to have as much passion during the production as many of you did on our vision.

This has been a labor of love from the entire team and I’m incredibly proud with what they have achieved. So much of their personalities are found around each corner in the game. We hope you enjoy the attention to detail in the world we all have created.

The next time you see a Kickstarter update, it could read “Brian Fargo proudly presents Wasteland 2….”

Chris Keenan
Project Lead – Wasteland 2

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Sucks to have your third world internet speed.

My bandwidth is as giant as my cook.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom