Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There is indeed a huge burnout, reason why I haven't played the game in like 6 months. High expectations + Fargo's hype + beta-that's-actually-alpha do that.

It may have helped InXile a lot, but I think that having almost a year of EA was very detrimental to the overall experience of any backer that played the game during that time.

There is a reason I stay the fuck away from anything not looking like finished versions ;)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is indeed a huge burnout, reason why I haven't played the game in like 6 months. High expectations + Fargo's hype + beta-that's-actually-alpha do that.

It may have helped InXile a lot, but I think that having almost a year of EA was very detrimental to the overall experience of any backer that played the game during that time.

Which is why I avoid EA like the plague. I want to go into the final release fresh and with no preconceived notions. Yes, I read the criticisms here, as well as the praises, but all that's done is help temper my enthusiasm and avoid getting caught up in Fargo's hype-machine. That's how I wanted to experience this game and once I'm done I will certainly post my impressions, hopefully from a non-biased perspective... :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that having almost a year of EA was very detrimental to the overall experience of any backer that played the game during that time.

This depends a lot on the individual backer, IMO. Some people are more cut out for it than others, as this conversation demonstrates.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
In general Early Access and Beta are not for everyone. I personally only jump in for "a taste" of any game I get beta access to, including D:OS before its release (haven't had too much time to play it since either tbh). If it's not for you I generally council people to stay away or not play too much. But I do appreciate the people who do jump in and provide constant feedback, and the game's better for it. I think some people enjoy watching it improve in leaps and bounds over this period, it's not a side of development you see too often.

1. Performance is night and day. Due to some recent pc problems I currently only have 2gb of ram, even so the game is running perfect smooth with both shadows and AA on.
The fact that you can even run it with 2GB of RAM is honestly a minor miracle.

I don't know anything about this specific discussion, but backer hangovers are widespread.
Kickstarters by definition set very high expectations. I don't think that's a bad thing, it puts pressure on the developer to over-deliver, though I realize not every dev will be in as fortunate a situation as inXile is...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Kickstarters by definition set very high expectations. I don't think that's a bad thing, it puts pressure on the developer to over-deliver, though I realize not every dev will be in as fortunate a situation as inXile is...

Perhaps. I haven't seen any brilliant Kickstarter games released that will end up on any Codex top 10's yet though. I hope WL2/PoE/ToN can break that poor record.

There is a reason I stay the fuck away from anything not looking like finished versions

So you're not going to play the game at all?

:troll:

:lol:

buzz

Arcane
Perhaps. I haven't seen any brilliant Kickstarter games released that will end up on any Codex top 10's yet though. I hope WL2/PoE/ToN can break that poor record.
Don't worry bro, just come back in 10 years and see a whole plethora of people praising them. That's how it worked for BG and TOEE and Morrowind at least. :P

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The capital letters were supposed to be a hint that I was being semi-sarcastic. But in any case, onholyservicebound and myself are also BIASED.

The point is that it's kinda dumb to ask "SO GUIZ IS IT LINEAR???" when you can get the answer to that yourself so easily.
Highpool is one long linear corridor, ag Centre is a series of corridors. How are those lp videos going to show anything different?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
5. Combat is flowing much better and faster, but gets boring after a few encounters, would improve with more abilities, called shots and perks.

Yeah. It has been improving little by little with each update, but despite there being a lot of systems at work, there's always been this lack of "what are my options here, what all can I do" -thinking during the combat events and it always plays out pretty raw and often (not always) uneventful by comparison to what the party mechanic would seem to suggest. I could well see a called shots system for chances of altering some status effects (crippling, bleeding, stun, etc) to liven up the events by quite a margin.

Darkzone

Arcane
Why don't you guys just watch an LP instead of listening to the opinions of BIASED people. It's not like this is secret knowledge.
:lol: So much that i had tears in my eyes. We all are biased, as you have correctly stated.
I hope sincerely that this skeletal level still continuing, and that the current beta is also only one skeletal level. And then the big positive surprise will be then in mid september.... or the great disappointment.
As undecaf stated it is improving, but at this rate, i would state it will be ready in December.... next year. (Or the big surprise is in september, as i always hope.)
Since Fargo always states that Wasteland 2 is a big game, i have to add, that size does not matter alone. The pressure or the density are important correlated factors with the size. And current Wasteland 2 lacks this factors.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The fact that you can even run it with 2GB of RAM is honestly a minor miracle.
In Windows 7 it probably is, but if he's running it in WinXP, then no - XP doesnt use up much RAM.
I know XP does not, but the game does. Some areas can run fine with 2GB RAM but I can't imagine the world map not making the game crash to desktop with an out of memory error. It's nice to know it's possible though! It's like when someone mentioned playing the game on his Windows Surface tablet; it's nice to know it's possible even if we officially go "no that's probably not gonna work".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know XP does not, but the game does. Some areas can run fine with 2GB RAM but I can't imagine the world map not making the game crash to desktop with an out of memory error. It's nice to know it's possible though! It's like when someone mentioned playing the game on his Windows Surface tablet; it's nice to know it's possible even if we officially go "no that's probably not gonna work".
Well, remember Windows has virtual memory. So even if you run out of ram, it should be able to use the hard drive to simulate more. It will just be slow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll PM you our conversation as proof.
EDIT: For those who are wondering, the reason the digital version cannot be released as well is not a case of the physical goods arriving in time. It is a case of the rating board authorizing release. They're waiting for all the rating boards to review the game.

Brian Fargo‏ @BrianFargo
Probably not a shock but #Wasteland2 received it's ESRB rating today, Mature as expected.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
One thing I noticed as my curiosity got the better of me and I fired W2 up was that all the character portraits I had used last time I touched the beta were unavailable. Instead there were 4-5 uninspiring pictures for either gender and the option to take a "photo" of your low-poly i-game character. When I loaded the old save, the characters still had their old (better portraits). So why the fuck did inXile feel the need to delete half the character portraits from chargen?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One thing I noticed as my curiosity got the better of me and I fired W2 up was that all the character portraits I had used last time I touched the beta were unavailable. Instead there were 4-5 uninspiring pictures for either gender and the option to take a "photo" of your low-poly i-game character. When I loaded the old save, the characters still had their old (better portraits). So why the fuck did inXile feel the need to delete half the character portraits from chargen?
I think all the previous portraits were used for NPCs. So the new ones are probably unique.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My theory is that all the old art was "used up" assigning unique portraits to NPCs. Which I support really, because I don't like one picture being reused for a bunch of different NPCs. I can come up with my own art for PCs.

Anyway, if you are too lazy to make your own, go here or here or here. There are a billion portraits already out there. Drop the .png files in Users/JoeBlow/My Documents/My Games/Wasteland 2/Custom Portraits.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

I've seen WL2 take up 800mb on my system, but I haven't actually had the task manager open when I've been playing it all the time.

Darkzone

Arcane
sea and brother none
Since the Wasteland 2 is still in the making, i will ask some questions, that normally inXile should be asking.
If they are already working on them than it is also good that i ask it. Because currently the Beta is so skeletal, that if it would be a horse, i would shoot it, to deliver it from its pain.

Day 1 questions:
Two questions concerning the character generation:
1) This is referring to to body model type. Why do they all look like escapees from a concentration camp? I know that they life in the Wasteland and it takes its toll, but i cannot create someone with some muscles or a fat guy.
2) Why do we not have a possibility to toggle the look of clothing or armor of the torso? I know that the rangers should look all different, but some of us want to let them look (the own party) perhaps the same, or they want to see the armor that they have on their body. Currently i go for the uni-optic, because at least they look this way like a combat troop, and not like some undisciplined heap of escapees.

Three questions towards about the quests its result over time:
1) Why after the destruction of the AG Center we cannot save Katherine Lawson? What is the problem to cut her off and heal her with the serum? We should be able at least cut her loose from the vine. And if she is healed, she could go to the ranger citadel to help there in research at basement as a example.
2) Why cannot we use the cure in the destroyed Ag Center to decontaminate at least the outer part? Hey if a generator is broken to disperse the cure, i know where one can get an old engine (wink wink).
3) Why cannot we say to the people in the prison area, that they can go to Highpool or Ag Center. At least there is food and water and now they can also use some hands there.
But since it is not so late, that i have to go to sleep. I will do my question work also for tomorrow.

Day 2 questions:
1) Why does not send Vargas a stationary troop to Highpool or Ag Center after the attack, to protect them? Hey they are weak and could use real protection. They are the last water and food source for the rangers, if this is gone or destroyed, the rangers will be fucked.
2) Why cannot we seek a husband for Jesse Belle? (A stationary Ranger would be a great Knight with armor and with a shining Ranger Star.)
3) Why do the fires still burn if we return to Highpool after a long time?
4) Why can't say to somebody who wants to join us, that he should go the the ranger citadel and wait there?

1) Why does the Atchison Casey James in his camp still has his arm, after he has cut his arm off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what are the specs for custom portraits?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom