Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

You guys need to add gif so some crazy fan will replace all the avatars with animated ones just like good old wasteland.

WTF, why can't I have my own custom avatar? That kinda pisses me off. It's also kinda frustrating to have the same avatar as a couple of other people.

766684329412b1a57e09cd.gif

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You guys need to add gif so some crazy fan will replace all the avatars with animated ones just like good old wasteland.

WTF, why can't I have my own custom avatar? That kinda pisses me off. It's also kinda frustrating to have the same avatar as a couple of other people.

766684329412b1a57e09cd.gif

You can have a custom avatar. Either by becoming site staff or pestering Darkunderlord sufficiently. It was supposed to be a P2W microtransaction for normal users, but I think DU had trouble making it work proper.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can have a custom avatar. Either by becoming site staff or pestering Darkunderlord sufficiently. It was supposed to be a P2W microtransaction for normal users, but DU will get to it eventually, I swear on me mum!

Fixed

agris

Arcane
Patron
Supporting .gifs for character portraits would be awesome, supporting context-sensitive avatars (i.e. 'great', 'normal', 'injured') would be amazing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8006&p=115508#p115485

Brother None said:
A few points on difficulty: we're in a stage of doing big difficulty passes. By their nature, if you're doing them right, difficulty passes are massive efforts best placed at the very end of development. The beta is not representative of final balance, and our project lead Chris Keenan has been making the game more difficult. The opening sequence (radio tower to agcenter or highpool) is pretty representative of final difficulty but those are meant as tutorial sequences. Beyond those things will get more difficult. I schedule a weekend runthrough for myself to see how I like the new difficulty, I'll let you guys know.

Among things being changed include loot density and how easy the game is about giving out XP. We're also investigating beefing up Supreme Jerk specifically to be a nice "completely impossible"-esque difficulty level. I'm fond of the idea myself but no promises/specifics on that yet, just exploring it right now. But in general, big difficulty balance changes are being made.

https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7916&start=120#p115483

Brother None said:
Right so, a few thoughts on shrines: we'd just finished putting backer content into the game right before this build was made. Considerations of how to find shrines and how they worked had not really gone in yet, so the way they work is not really representative of the final game.

For one thing, they will be harder to find: most likely the perception radius will no longer work on them, instead you have to walk right on them or get the coordinates from an NPC (this action will usually be quest-related). We're also looking into exactly how their bonuses work and going to tweak that as needed, though it's too early to say exactly how they'll work on release, there's a few ideas floating around and we've been looking here for some, so thanks for all the input and ideas!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Massive overhaul to difficulty after the gold master and without the benefit of outsider play-testing.

This should go well. :cool:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
okay dis my party

8lwbeB5.png

Brainy Tan

she the leader cuz she the hottest

PRIMARY SKILLS:
SHOTGUNS
LEADERSHIP
FIELD MEDIC
SMART ASS

TB8VtaN.png

Kim

she really useless but milfy

PRIMARY SKILLS:
BARTER
HANDGUNS
SALVAGING

o0dirnl.png

Koko

she a master sneaker

PRIMARY SKILLS:
SNIPER RIFLES
ALARM DISARM
LOCK PICKING

uCWmvYO.png

Fun-fun

crazy ho likes xplotions

PRIMARY SKILLS:
HEAVY WEAPONS
DEMOLITIONS
WEAPON SMITHING

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Blah. The existence of the gold master is meaningless today. Welcome to the 21st century.
Some RPGs do get balance patches but they're not huge overhauls like this is sounding; moreover, they have the benefit of sizable QA teams to playtest and I'm under the impression inXile doesn't have that many (and it's still nothing compared to having thousands providing feedback).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I never understood the logic of making the shotgun guy a medic... I always make the sniper, since he's far away and less likely to be hurt himself.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
because shotguns and medicine are both short-range skills in computer games GOSH ARE U STUPID

buzz

Arcane
Can we do a kickstarter to teach InXile the meaning of words like alpha, beta, gold master and so on? :P

Darkzone

Arcane
sea and Brother None or MLMarkland
It is nice to hear that the backer content has been put into the game. And that to discover the shrines, it will require much more NPC interaction, after all it does sound like there will be much more meat to Wasteland 2, like i always hoped. Also that the supreme jerk level will be much more difficult, but let me add something towards current supreme jerk level at the Radio Tower and Highpool and Ag Center. It is not good. Why? BBecause to let the enemies hit harder, than the weapons they use and let them hit more often is not a good solution. The difficulty should be about tactics utilising your position and attack at vulnerable enemies (whatever is better a exposed position and / or less armor and / or less hit points and / or by preparing a certain state). I know this is not a chess game, but perhaps some chess or go courses before T:ToN would be advised.

Now to the next series of questions that i have while i play the current Wasteland 2 beta, that normally inXile should ask:
1)Why is there no option to convince the Mutants in the Darvin Village to take up the relations / communications with the Ranger Citadel? After all they are already under attack by someone who knows that they exist and where they are, so the logic in conserving the knowledge until the time is right, is flawed. They can take now actions, to influence the future and don't have to wait, till the future is coming at them, in their face.
2)Why is there no more the mutant, who can be recruited after curing the mutants? The right handling of my first question would make it quite possible.
3)Why can't i convince (or at least try) the Atchison Melissa to not commit suicide, after i kill both (Atchison and Topekan) leader? She could after all with much convincing form a council of elders or some sort of 'native' democracy with the united tribe. (Wild card solution of a smart ass.)
4)Why can't i give to the sick Anna Hegedus some pain relievers or roasted scorpions (Opiate like morphine), to reduce her suffering? And why can i use surgeon / medic skill on her, to at least figure out what she has and if she can survive for a longer period of time?
5)Why can't we convince Tim Messer not to commit suicide, because he is only a desperate farmer and not a ranger, who can fight against the RSM? If he would have attacked the RSM, he would be also dead like his wife. The question is: why he did not stopped his wife. And at least we should tell him that we the rangers, will avenge the death of his wife.
6)Why can't we use brute force (beating to work or whip it) or any ass skill to force Marc Cominado, to repair the well, like his wife tell us to?
7)Why does the Leader of the RSM say, that i have killed Bulldog or Pitbull despite it isn't so? On the other hand how should he know that the Ranger killed him? He could also have been killed by the Topekans, because the squeezin was bad and he complained about it.
8)Why cant i raise surgeon skill beyond lv 6 despite i can do it with other skills and have an Int above 7?

Darkzone out.

Thanks Infinitron, i always assume that people reading this thread know the game and have played it.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
sea and Brother None or MLMarkland

As you may have seen i have posted only 8 'why' questions instead of 10, but this has a reason. The reason is that i needed the time to formulate the last 2 questions. And here they come:

9) Why does smoking a cigarette / cigarillo as a consumable, do not raise my 'Hard Ass' skill for a certain amount of time as a effect at status? Also this could expended to a 'mint drop' for 'smart ass' and 'eau de cologne' for 'kiss ass'. This would make the entire thing at least useful cool, and not a useless fun animation that you do ones. The ratings are already 18, so this could not hurt more than a exploding head.
10) Why do we not have cool one-liner / punchlines to initiate combat, with certain bosses or as a finish after the combat? I mean this supposed to be in the 80s locked culture, what is more 80s, than some 'muscle' guy making a one-liner? We do not need for every enemy a one-liner, it would become also very boring and stupid, but for the major intelligent bosses like: Dr. Patrick Larsen in Ag Center, the leaders in the Rail Nomads Camp perhaps a boss of the 'Rail Thieves' and 'Wrecking Crew Stronghold' and the Prison could be a great source for one-liners.
Example Dr. Patrick Larsen after it is obvious that he is guilty: we have two options to ask 'who is the metal monk' and 'why he wants to destroy the ranger'. Every option leads to an attack from his side.
If i know this, why do not initiate combat with a one-liner like this stupid one: Dr. it's time for you to become fertilizer. (It is stupid i know, but honestly i did not give a real try.)
And after he explodes and we have initiated combat with a one-liner: The one who made the one-liner could state something more stupid like: Lived like dung, and gone with a bang. (Honestly i'm not trying.)
This one-liner could be also dependent on their necessary checks on hard ass, kiss ass and smart ass. Again this supposed to be 80s, please watch the 80s action movies.
At the prison entrance we could say to RSM: We came here to chew some tobacco, and to kick some ass. And we are out of tobacco.
The Rangers should be like Clint Eastwood in his prime time: Dirty Harry who is a man with no name in a spaghetti western, in the world of mad max. (whine... why do this questions have to appear before me..)
Tomorrow i will whine little about the Darvin Village.

Darkzone out.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me add something towards current supreme jerk level at the Radio Tower and Highpool and Ag Center. It is not good. Why? BBecause to let the enemies hit harder, than the weapons they use and let them hit more often is not a good solution. The difficulty should be about tactics utilising your position and attack at vulnerable enemies.
The problem here, as we've been discussing on the official board, is that this would mean using full AI on the highest difficulty level, and then "dumbening" the AI progressively for every level lower. This would mean horrendously stupid AI on the default difficulty level! No one wants that. The only other options are changing the actual encounter design or tweaking stats. I for one don't expect them to design every fight in the game 4 times for 4 different difficulty levels, so tweaking stats is the only realistic solution.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'll PM you our conversation as proof.
EDIT: For those who are wondering, the reason the digital version cannot be released as well is not a case of the physical goods arriving in time. It is a case of the rating board authorizing release. They're waiting for all the rating boards to review the game.

Brian Fargo‏ @BrianFargo
Probably not a shock but #Wasteland2 received it's ESRB rating today, Mature as expected.

Brian Fargo‏@BrianFargo
The Aussie rating is already in at MA 15+. Strong Violence, sexual references and themes. Apparently gambling not a concern.

Brian Fargo‏@BrianFargo
With even less of a surprise the rating for #wasteland2 is PEGI 18 for the majority of Europe. Gambling, Bad Language and Violence.

Brian Fargo‏@BrianFargo
We are still waiting for the German rating but expect it by Monday at the latest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom