Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tytus

Arcane
You can't polish a turd.
You can mold a turd into pretty much any shape if you get to it before it dries out.
Perhaps its shape, but not its substance.

In Africa they go through elephant shit to dig out the undigested nutrients. And they love it. So don't discard any possible turd yet. Maybe you end up eating good parts out of it, and liking it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From the guy that Tim Cain literally had to beg not to cancel Fallout and after it prooved a smashing hit, alienated its founding fathers by allowing the suits to take over their brainchild, Wasteland 2! (59.99 tax included)

From the guy that played Fallout for a weekend and said, "when I go up a level, skillpoints aren't enough for me to do..." thus initiating the discovery of the perk system, Wasteland 2!
Disclaimer: Wasteland 2 will not feature a perk system or something remotely related.

:butthurt:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:avatard:

Disclaimer: Wasteland 2 will not feature a perk system or something remotely related.

Is that confirmed information?

No, although I suppose it's as likely as not that they're not going to add a feature like that at this point.

Anyway, Grotesque is just being pissy. I pointed out that Steam image because it's funny that they went to such lengths to mention Fallout at all. It's working though, because Wasteland 2 is now the #20 top bestselling game on Steam.

Tytus

Arcane
:avatard:

Is that confirmed information?

No, although I suppose it's as likely as not that they're not going to add a feature like that at this point.

Anyway, Grotesque is just being pissy. I pointed out that Steam image because it's funny that they went to such lengths to mention Fallout at all. It's working though, because Wasteland 2 is now the #20 top bestselling game on Steam.

To quote the Wasteland 2 kickstarter Pitch. There was Fallout 1?

I wonder how many of their customers when they hear Fallout they think Fallout 3 and think it's guys from Bethesda working on a new game :popamole:

I really hope not that many.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
pissy?
tag incoming. do it!

Fallout's perk system: invented by Chris Taylor in a day and implemented by Tim Cain in another.
Of course Wasteland 2 will have something similar!
I am just fuckin' with you because I am so butthurt.

I imagined it would be something like slides with voiceover. But a full movie? Maybe by amazing visuals MM meant amazing art on slides?

How is the new map? Was it Darwin village?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I hope they would do something like the animated hand drawn cutscenes in homeworld 1, those are still my favorite

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm, I hope they have something nice cooking. Part of the reason (to me) why the beta has felt plain is because there's no backdrop at all to set the stage; just "find a corpse and then go fix some radios".

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, to those who actually play this early on. How is it shaping up? Decent quests? Nice combat scenarios? Sense of discovery? How is the writing? Music any good? Any c&c? Is it, you know, any fun to play? What are its pros and cons so far? Worthy successor to Wasteland and perhaps even Fallout? Enlighten us bastards who are waiting for the whole thing to be released with your thoughts.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I hope they would do something like the animated hand drawn cutscenes in homeworld 1, those are still my favorite
considering how undeniably goddamn sexy homeworld is, it's weird that there aren't that many devs taking cues from it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Don't reply to Trash
i wasn't going to, but then you made me. YOU. MADE. ME.
this is on you, Infinitron:
So, to those who actually play this early on. How is it shaping up? Decent quests? Nice combat scenarios? Sense of discovery? How is the writing? Music any good? Any c&c? Is it, you know, any fun to play? What are its pros and cons so far? Worthy successor to Wasteland and perhaps even Fallout? Enlighten us bastards who are waiting for the whole thing to be released with your thoughts.
too lazy to read the last few pages and expecting somebody to sum it up for you instead or just trollbaiting?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I was trolling. It's just that we've kind of done this to death

Well, same goes for talking about rpg's. ;) I'm genuinly curious to the things I asked and I'm wondering how people feel about them now that the game is slowly getting to its feet. I was very sceptical at first and got a rather bad impression from earlier footage I watched and hope it actually turned out alright.

too lazy to read the last few pages and expecting somebody to sum it up for you instead or just trollbaiting?

I blame it on megathreads being unwieldy. But no, I did read about ten pages back. If you do you might find how very uninformative they are. Not to mention that there is little to no info on the whole state of affairs since the last update.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
that's because not much changed in the last update in regards to the things that were perceived as shitty, from what i could tell.
I'm genuinly curious to the things I asked and I'm wondering how people feel about them
i feel that expecting wl2 to be a sequel to fallout is about as ridiculous as expecting it to be a sequel to anything else that fallout was inspired by but shares no real connection with.
it's an okish sequel to wl that does suffer from some shitty design decisions like spanning tree mapdesign or that shitty timed stuff in rail nomads camp (in a tb game, no less... at least when you implement timed events implement some kind of world pause toggle too or the ability to force combat mode), but at least some of those are being worked on.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks. With people now favourably calling Underrail a worthy successor to Fallout (which still puzzles me btw) I was curious to what people thought about a game that is actually being hailed and even marketed as a spiritual successor to Fallout. Also was quite curious to how feel of exploration, quest design, overall writing, c&c, encounter desing and so on have grown since my earlier unfavourable impressions. Apparantly not then.

:(

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
i think people just go "omg postapoc, this is soooo fallout!" and turn their brains off...
still, underrail is fucking excellent.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Is there actually an rpg that the Codex will actually say, no argument at all that it is "amazing"? Because since I'm loving this and you guys are hating it, I want to see what I'd think of your perfect game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom