Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #29: Inventory System Demo

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Here's another take.
(...)
and with the leftmost menu on top

2qcf0k3.jpg

Top menu is too bloated though. Def no need of separate activation lights on this one.

This is the layout I like the most. What's important, it allows for the item list to be expanded a bit (vide the unused space in the top right corner).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure how much I like the fact that the item image + description are at the bottom right of that one, Seems like those deserve a more "commanding" location on screen.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm not sure how much I like the fact that the item image + description are at the bottom right of that one, Seems like those deserve a more "commanding" location on screen.
why? It's just a picture and flavour text, shouldn't even be occupying space this inventory already lacks. It could be shown along with the stats on mouse-over.

St. Toxic

Arcane

I also like it on the left for some reason, but it still makes more sense on the right just below the selected items. With item/desc on the left you're competing for attention with the char screen.

b5po5j.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
St. Toxic It might look better if you make it slightly bigger. But of course that would take away precious space from the item list.

You could also put it above the list but that might be weird.

St. Toxic

Arcane
St. Toxic It might look better if you make it slightly bigger. But of course that would take away precious space from the item list.

I think I'm done playing around with mock-ups for today. The item screen is big enough for my taste, but the char screen should probably be shrunk down in size. Maybe it's the size difference between the two that is throwing you off?

EDIT: To be honest, my first thought when I saw the vid was "Why not use the character screen for item descriptions?" Instead of taking up space and cluttering the ui with a bunch of different displays, use a single display to show character equipment when appropriate and item descriptions when prompted. That way we could free up the entire right-hand side for items, and use the left side for all detailed information.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I think I'm done playing around with mock-ups for today. The item screen is big enough for my taste, but the char screen should probably be shrunk down in size. Maybe it's the size difference between the two that is throwing you off?

Could be. The character selection menu is actually "pushing" the item panel in to the right, making it look even more weak and pathetic.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Alright, last set:

Case A, standard view + triggered on item equip:

2r44fm1.jpg

Case B, on item select:

9kpm6o.jpg

or

33kvvgw.jpg

Could use a separate information field under the display, to prevent text from intruding on the equipment cell. Can be used for character descriptions to great effect; something along the lines of an 'Examine' check on yourself, i.e Male humanoid. Strong, clever but not very agile, etc. Also, display still way too big.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Make the picture windows toggle-able between item and character, put text underneath like option C.

Zeronet

Learned
I think the character portraits and the text on the buttons need integrating better into the UI. The white text, borders etc don't go with the rest of the colour scheme. Also i'd change the white borders on the portraits, maybe to screens of some sort. St Toxic's changes are really good though and make the overall UI theme and art style much tighter and cohesive.

qyzcqg.jpg

Here's the larger one with some not-quite serious suggestions, based on St Toxic's changed picture and inspired by fallout tactics. :p

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I generally really like that inventory screen, but the list-based thing makes me a sad motherfucker. Would like it so much more if it was gridbased :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, grid is shit but would work better with that inventory setup, that wide, short area is terrible for a list but a grid would fit perfectly there.

You don't like grids? I find that the move away from grids and into lists to be one of the main offenders of modern inventories.

I'm also not sure I see them fitting a grid into the small space that list is in right now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, grid is shit but would work better with that inventory setup, that wide, short area is terrible for a list but a grid would fit perfectly there.

You don't like grids? I find that the move away from grids and into lists to be one of the main offenders of modern inventories.
To me the big offender of modern inventories is that EVERYTHING MUST BE FUCKHUEG TO SEE FROM ACROSS THE LIVING ROOM. But the items being listed by their actual names is much more comfortable to work with than little icons or inventory tetris. Except when it's something like this where you can only see 7 items at a time and have to scroll and shuffle through categories like a retard.

I'm also not sure I see them fitting a grid into the small space that list is in right now.
Yeah... well, it's worse for a list, imo. It could work great with either system if they made a better interface, actually if things weren't so huge and if it wasn't so busy trying to look like Fallout you could probably have both the character sheet and inventory on the same screen for convenience.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The Arcanum inventory works perfectly. But then you woudn't need those sortable icons above it, you could move the party pictures to the right and add more space for descriptions or stats in the left.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Look at all the blackspace underneath the paperdoll, put it there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom