Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 moving from Unity 4 to Unity 5, PBR, better modding tools, balancing

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To me, Wasteland 2 has a perfect style. It's not serious or very pretty, but it's perfect for the setting and what they were going for. I would much rather keep everything in the game if it had meant losing any of it so they could spend more time on graphics.

All of the problems with combat and ai, and all you guys can bitch about is graphics, for fucks sake.

I'll admit though, those screenshots look really nice.

Perkel

Arcane
It's still unity, but now with higher poly models and higher resolution textures and new graphical effects... I bet performance will be just as bad if not worse than it is now.

There will be no such things as new textures or more polygons.

What will change though will be general look of game (different lighting engine) and speed. Unity 5 is lighting fast compared to 4.5

Zeronet

Learned
It's still unity, but now with higher poly models and higher resolution textures and new graphical effects... I bet performance will be just as bad if not worse than it is now.

What will change though will be general look of game (different lighting engine) and speed. Unity 5 is lighting fast compared to 4.5

Sorry, but one of the developers posted in this very thread about how there will be such things as new textures and more polygons.

For the GOTY Edition we are redoing large portions of our environment art and character models, in addition to stuff like lighting and shaders. This means things like new trees and foliage, new environment textures (almost everything has been redrawn or up-rezzed), and so on. While we are not redoing the graphics entirely from scratch, there are huge differences when you look side-by-side.

A lot of this is in part due to Unity 5, which is capable of handling much, much higher-res assets. Our texture size has doubled in some scenes, for instance, yet in some of our internal test cases the game is actually running more smoothly and using less memory than Unity 4.

You can see some of these changes (in a still early state) at the PlayStation Blog PS4 announcement post.

Perkel

Arcane
wow didn't expect that.

This looks like something CDPROJECT would do EE edition TW1.

Zeronet

Learned
The standout change is this one.
jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane

When you say lightning fast does that mean it works better on same hardware?

Perkel

Arcane

When you say lightning fast does that mean it works better on same hardware?

yes. Unity 4 had poor performance. U5 they really changed things in it and it works amazing.
Recent game with U5 is Cities:Skylines and it works like charm pushing tens of thousands of buildings without a problem:

just look at that:

Z4EQuUd.jpg

naturally if someone is shitty codder then it will as well work shitty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom