Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Wasteland 2 or PoE?

Which one is better?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Hi! This is my first post.
I want to buy a crpg game but now im confused between Wasteland2 and PoE.
Only turn based game i ever played is Fallout1. And i enjoyed it too much but i have more rtwp experience.
Which one is a better game to buy and why?!

RuySan

Augur
Wasteland 2, by far. The only thing PoE has going for it is nice graphics, but you will be looking at loading screens most of the time anyway.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Both are worth a playthrough imho, but Wasteland 2 is far better.

Wasteland 2 is, especially with the directors cut, a really fun mix between Fallout 1 and a regular combat oriented turn based game. Its a bit more linear and structured as fallout, but then again its also a much longer game, and you could even say that different parts of the game offer a similar nonlinear approach as the original Fallout did. Also there is less replay value despite offering the same kind of differing questsolutions because as you lead a whole squad, you can pretty much specialize in all important skill in one playthrough, whereas in fallout you cant play the jack of all trades and expect to succeed at everything. The writing is comparable to Fallout 2, over the top trash movie charme like mad max with lots of (dark) humour which is kinda a hit and miss. Still its much better than i expected when i started the game up because of all that ranting of fellow codexians. I also really like the fact that you can mess up in this game by simply saying the wrong things at the wrong time or siding blindly with the next best faction you come across.
Seriously, play that game. Its imho one of the best in recent years.

POE on the other hand is... yeah its Baldurs Gate minus the epic demigod plot and instead with some low key philosophical plot about souls that drifts off into esoterical drivel at times. It tries to be Planescape Torment without reaching its excellence by far ofcourse, and it has its weaknesses both in combat (much meaningless trash encounters, faulty AI) and writing (occasional infodump overload, backernpcs) but it definitely also has its strengths. The locations are beautiful and well thought through, it has alot of atmosphere, there are some interesting encounters, questdesign is mostly good to really good, interesting reputation system, mostly interesting companions and IMHO a well designed fantasy world with some interesting background twists.

You will hear alot of hate about the game here on codex, because many people here backed the game and waited for it for a looong time having wet dreams about it every night only to find out that its "just" another Baldurs Gate clone. Its about as good as the first part of the series, nowhere near as good as the second one. Hopefully POE2 will be better.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
PoE isn't a bad rtwp - not so bad in fact I even enjoyed it in a way I never did with BG or Icewind Dale.

PoE - excellent first attempt - lots of potential. Some of the game systems are confusing. You need to be an accountant to figure out what is going on in combat.

WL2 though is a better game - it's more efficient even considering the 50 different ways you can open a container.

WL2 - competent follow up on Fallout 2 with some memorable encounters. It's a safe bet.

pippin

Wasteland 2 is very good, the combat is good, and the levelling up system makes a difference which is noticeable right away. The clunky presentation does not help at all, to be honest. And it has memes, like a neckbeard hoarding old video game consoles.
PoE is good but it won't serve as a modernized version of BG1 and 2, like WL2 was a modernized version of FO1 and 2 and Tactics. The character system is confusing, the levelling up is barely noticeable, the base management is bland, etc. The backer content does not help. It contradicts the lore and most npcs are backer content, which is bad, because they don't add anything to the game or the lore. I have to say PoE is more of a dissapointment for me than WL2, but I do think both games are worth playing.

Gord

Arcane
My 2 cents:
If you don't care about setting or RTwP vs TB, buy whatever is cheaper now and then the other later.

Both are good games, but both are also affected by various flaws. It's unlikely that either will ever be considered an all-time classic, but they are good for one or two playthroughs at least.
Overblown expectations have resulted in a lot of edgy bitching here, however.

Eh, are those two your only choices? Because honestly I was very much disappointed in both of them.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where is Age of Decadence option? But from those two pick Wasteland 2; its TB-ed has decent plot and more interesting locations; PoE aside from pretty 2D backgrounds has not much to offer thanks to Sawyerism aka Hwyrp Dwyrp and No fun allowed... Except CYOWAs sections surprisingly.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
Everyone is going to vote Wasteland 2 because the Director's Cut was just released.

Before that, Pillars of Eternity was getting all kinds of praise and Wasteland 2 was getting shit on.

Once we get the 2nd part of White March this January, I'm sure Pillars will be back on top.

rado907

Savant
Wasteland 2 degenerates into a rather mundane dungeon crawl about halfway through. PoE at least tries to pretend to be RPG-y. I beat PoE and started (and failed to finish) a couple of more runs. But I gave up on WL2 when, having cleared a number of long and nasty dungeons, I realized that the next 2-3 zones were basically long and nasty dungeons.
I don't mind the occasional dungeon crawler - ToEE for example was a fun game. But I expected more Fallout and less Jagged Alliance when I started WL2.
----
Edit: ShadowRun Dragonfall DC was just flat-out good, though. Not great but very good. Haven't played Hong Kong yet, but I strongly suspect it's just more of the same.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Wasteland 2 degenerates into a rather mundane dungeon crawl about halfway through. PoE at least tries to pretend to be RPG-y. I beat PoE and started (and failed to finish) a couple of more runs. But I gave up on WL2 when, having cleared a number of long and nasty dungeons, I realized that the next 2-3 zones were basically long and nasty dungeons.
I don't mind the occasional dungeon crawler - ToEE for example was a fun game. But I expected more Fallout and less Jagged Alliance when I started WL2.

18q4id7cio2qngif.gif

Before that, Pillars of Eternity was getting all kinds of praise and Wasteland 2 was getting shit on.
Nah, not really, unlike Pillars which had a decent number of dedicated aspies tearing it apart, W2 mostly had a handful of complete retards or shitposters repeating buzzwords and phrases they heard other people use, nothing significant.

Wasteland 2 just resonates better with the Codex because but it has "Muh atmosphere", the post-apocalyptic setting, the better more free character system that isn't anti-min-max or anti-fun, and turn based combat.

Rake

Arcane
Both are meh. That doesn't mean they are bad, just nothing special. If you are out of good games to play, either can be used to kill some time.

But the correct answer is "play Age of Decadence seven times until Underail is released"

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hi! This is my first post.
I want to buy a crpg game but now im confused between Wasteland2 and PoE.
Only turn based game i ever played is Fallout1. And i enjoyed it too much but i have more rtwp experience.
Which one is a better game to buy and why?!
Neither. Buy underrail...

I will make the choice easier for your by reminding that there are other cRPGs that were also released recently:
  1. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  2. Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  3. Shadowrun Returns
  4. Telepath Tactics
  5. Age of Decadence
  6. Divinity: Original Sin
  7. Blackguards
  8. Lords of Xulima
  9. Might and Magic X
  10. Wither 3
  11. Serpants in the Staglands
  12. Neo Scavenger
  13. Valkyria Chronicles
  14. Dead State
  15. The Banner Saga
  16. Legends of Grimrock
I am quite sure I still forgot a few. I am playing through Wasterland 2 now and liking it a lot. Here are my experiences so far http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-directors-cut.94233/page-176#post-4222924

DeepOcean

Arcane
You go on a hotdog stand and want to buy a hotdog, the guy that is selling want to sell a Wasteland 2 hotdog and tells you it has Fallout and Wasteland 1 sauces on it and he makes a traditional hotdog for fans of hotdog . You buy it happy and taste it but the guy placed alot less Fallout and Wasteland sauces in it than he promised, you felt kinda cheated but the sausage tasted good enough, won't blow your mind but it wasn't the worst hotdog ever, meh, anything goes when you are hungry right?

Next day, being kinda disappointed by the previous hotdog seller, you decide to go to a stand where the guy claims being the genius of the hotdogs. He tells you he has a brillant idea about hotdogs and he was the only one that had the understanding of everything that gone wrong on hotdogs all those years and he would make a revolutionary hotdog. He makes the hotdog, place all kinds of sauces on it. You pay for it and buy it, after a bite you discover there is no sausage on the hotdog, only bread and sauces. You complain of course, but he tells you that the geniality behind his work is that he makes hotdogs without sausages for people with sensible stomachs and as you ask what is the point of a hotdog without a sausage in it, he tells you he watched alot of people having stomach reactions to sausage so he removed them and that is better for everyone, see, a revolutionary hotdog. That is the PoE hotdog for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom