Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Wasteland 2 or PoE?

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Roobenator

Novice
Poe is superior in my opinion. Better encounters and better designed unique items, and i would have been happier. Right now both seem diluted. I havent played wl2 dc yet tho.
So encounter design and itemization are the strong points of PoE for you?
A badly constructed sentence there. The meaning was that in poe these could have used improvement. Dont be a fucking douchebag. That being said, wl2 isnt exactly the original fallout-like experience i thought i was getting

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Underrail is the spiritual successor to the fallout games that we've been searchin' for.

WL2 tries to be, but fails at several points. The combat is somewhat watered down, even in the DC. The story, albeit coherent, is not overly complex and novel. It leaves you a desire for more of a different kind.

It does have some good C&C and moments that truly shine. But it lacks that special something that fallout 1 had and in a lesser degree, 2.

We needed/need a totally new post-apoc story, not a rehashed / continued one from an 80s wacky tobacky past or a continuation of what fallout tried.

Underrail's story isn't really full of perfect examples of C&C and meaningful choices, either, which I suppose is its bíggest weakpoint. It does however service the game quite well.

So, Underrail/D:OS TB combat, with P:T levels of writing, C&C and deep story elements, with tasteful Unreal Engine 4 graphics done in a beatifully and rich top-down 2d environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roobenator

Novice
Poe is superior in my opinion. Better encounters and better designed unique items, and i would have been happier. Right now both seem diluted. I havent played wl2 dc yet tho.
So encounter design and itemization are the strong points of PoE for you?
A badly constructed sentence there. The meaning was that in poe these could have used improvement. Dont be a fucking douchebag. That being said, wl2 isnt exactly the original fallout-like experience i thought i was getting
I need to add that I started replaying WL2 DC last weekend. Lots of improvement in combat. It still feels as I'm on rails though. That isn't necessary a bad thing, but its very subjective as I was indeed waiting for something fallout-esque. I'm still enjoying the game alot. A replay of PoE doesn't seem that tempting at the moment even after the new DLC. Should I change my stance on this matter? Fuck no, I was cumming all over the place while playing PoE.

pippin

Wasteland 2 wasn't "on rails" for me. I haven't played the DC yet, rather wait for patches and stuff. But exploration is much more open in Wasteland than in PoE, since you can actually travel with more or less freedom through the game world. The only obstacle is radiation. In PoE, you go where the game wants you to go and there is no other way.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wasteland 2 wasn't "on rails" for me. I haven't played the DC yet, rather wait for patches and stuff. But exploration is much more open in Wasteland than in PoE, since you can actually travel with more or less freedom through the game world. The only obstacle is radiation. In PoE, you go where the game wants you to go and there is no other way.
Aren't there expensive rad suits?

pippin

Aren't there expensive rad suits?

Yes, but you still manage to explore a lot with the basic ones. And getting higher tiers later feels more like a natural progression rather than PoE's exploration.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Hello, my name is Dwarvophile and I'm a rpg-addict.

I like dwarves. There are no dwarves in Wasteland 2. And yet, I still prefer W2 to PoE. Why ?

Because I can't stand real time combats. They are dumb and anticlimactic. They are the reason why it took me so long to like computer RPG after playing pen & paper RPG. I can understand the idea of pausing while combats in a 3D game, but in a 2D isometric game it feels completely something.
I'm sure it seemed a very good idea at first : "hey, let's make real time combats, you know, "real time", just like in "real life""". Oh, it's not a thread about RT vs TB combats, sorry.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In gameplay and combat system, Is AoD better than PoE or WL2?
PoE combat system: You try to make sense of a mess of 100 spell effects that have 2.8 seconds or so duration and don't seem to make much of a difference while 12 melee enemies decide to dance in circle trying to reach your tanks, anything that isn't a tank on some way end up pulverized in miliseconds and can't escape if a single enemy decide to look at it. Easy mode should be renamed to "Carebear mode.", normal mode should be renamed to "I WIN mode.", Hard mode should be renamed to "I WIN but take a bit longer." and PoD should be renamed "I made fights take forever as enemies are harder to hit and the trash mobs are twice bigger because I was fucking lazy and I hate grognards that want good combat."

Wasteland 2 system: All weapons work the same. Want energy weapons that are just assault rifles that shoot blue stuff? Want heavy guns that are just assault rifles that waste more ammo? Want pistols that are shitty as fuck? Want sniper rifles that are just a shitty version of assault rifles? Want shotguns that thank God are a different weapon with a cone area of effect but can't kill anything? Want melee weapons that are just a bad idea? Want SMGs that are just shitty versions of assault rifles again? Want useless skills that are only used to open containers with shitty loot? Combat on Wasteland 2 is as exciting as watch paint dry and that is on a game that is 95% combat and has an absolutely worthless story and setting.

Guess AoD wins because the competitors died of AIDS before the fight.

Magnificate

Novice
From worst to best:

Divinity: Original Sin - I've started this game once and never finished it. I remember dropping it after searching for several hours for a staff made of some special metal needed to defeat some foes. Combat mechanics were very good, especially the enviromental interaction. What turned me off the most was the general cheesiness and that extradimensional lair the player gets almost at the start of the game.
Wasteland 2 - I've started this game several times, but never managed to finish it. I dropped it some time after reaching the second region. The game was drab. Combat mechanics were OK, but nothing specular. Plus, team protagonist is not my thing, I'd much rather have one hero.
Pillars of Eternity - I've finished it twice. It did feel properly nostalgic. The presentation was nice. The main conflict and stakes were poorly defined. The companions were very uneven as if each was written by someone else. Combat was relatively well balanced, but the encounter design was boring.
Age of Decadence - I've finished it twice and plan to play again. Good dialogues and reactivity and lovely harsh combat. However, the pseudo-roman setting is meh, the presentation is poor and the rather than focus on one longer story the author decided to offer several shorter ones.

Lhynn

Arcane
Playing the directors cut right now and i can definitely say wl2 is much much better, not even a contest. That said its flawed as fuck.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Deep Ocean is describing the unpatched vanilla versions of POE and Wasteland2, and hes exaggerating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom