Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Desert Rangers = wasteland Paladins

Robots = evil demons

Raiders = goblins/orcs

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I don't like how the Rangers are always the good guys compared to everyone else either.
Whenever there's another faction who wants to maintain order there's something super fucked up about them. Like the RSM are way too brutal, the DBM are just professional raiders, the Mad Monks are, well, mad, the Mannerites are cannibals, the Leather Jerks are idiots, the Children are gullible fanatics, the machines are genocidal, etc.
It would have been interesting if the reason why the leather jerks are so harsh is because its the only way they could fight the synths, but nope, Dengler is just a greedy idiot who's after short term gain.
Fallout has the better story and setting, imo. Well, Black Isle Fallout anyway.

DragoFireheart

Wasteland 2 is still a very fun game despite some short comings. The combat is thankfully good and fun.

Ok

So I just did Highpool, then eventually Radio Tower, and recently did AG Center.

holy shit I hate AG Center. Fuck that douchebag with 4 pistol attacks and fuck all the stupid plants. fucking soy boy assholes.

good news is some bitch was screaming at me but then died. I heard she's an NPC but is a bitch.

Question:

I have not been getting any followers. Still using my 4 Rangers. None have appealed to me yet. Will this change soon?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Wasteland 2 is still a very fun game despite some short comings. The combat is thankfully good and fun.

Ok

So I just did Highpool, then eventually Radio Tower, and recently did AG Center.

holy shit I hate AG Center. Fuck that douchebag with 4 pistol attacks and fuck all the stupid plants. fucking soy boy assholes.

good news is some bitch was screaming at me but then died. I heard she's an NPC but is a bitch.

Question:

I have not been getting any followers. Still using my 4 Rangers. None have appealed to me yet. Will this change soon?

You should still recruit as many as you can. If you go to the ranger citadel there's a NPC who gives you rewards for each recruit you bring him. You can just invite a recruit into your party and immediately dismiss him. He'll teleport to the citadel and you can just pick up your reward. You only have one chance to recruit a companion though, it would seem.

I tried just about all of the NPCs in the early game, and most of them are pretty mediocre. The only ones that really stand out for me are Ralphy (starts with good toaster repair so you don't have to waste points leveling it on the others. Starts at level 5 too so he's basically a blank slate), Rose (only if you save AG Center. Comes with absurdly high intelligence and science. Shitty starting weapon though), Takayuki (big dumb strong guy who's mainly melee. I get him for his high demo and mechanical repair. Good with heavy weapons and shotguns too) and Brother Neil Thomas (my personal favorite. Only late game though. Comes with high int, and like 8 points in first aid, surgery, blunt and SMG. Each. Also, he's a priest with a huge ass mace. That's fucking metal)

Are you doing ruined AG or intact AG? Intact AG is a pain of the ass. I hated fighting through it. In hindsight I should have brought a shotgun to deal with the hoardes of vermin, especially those fucking rabbits.
Another thing I have a problem with in Wasteland 2 is just how bland the bestiary is. I mean, your choices are humans, robots, and oversized animals, which consists mostly of dogs and badgers. You don't get things like Deathclaws, wanamingos, or even mutants. Not frequently like in Fallout, anyway.

So I beat the game

The last stage isn't great. For starters, you can recruit a bunch of NPCs to help you out, the problem though is that the AI is bloody stupid, and they will try to face fuck a scrorpitron. Fortunately the enemy AI is also stupid, so I only lost 4 NPCs, none of who were that important. Mathias does the typical self righteous villain thing where he bascially goes "who gave you the authority to stop me? I'm trying to bring humanity to a new golden age" and sadly there's no "because your a fucking sociopathic terrorist you fuck. do you really thing trying people into becoming strogg Expy is helping anyone, you ass?", but sadly it was just the usually shitty responses of "but justice though / we protect people tho". Still don't see how the AI can take over people through their prosthetics. It isn't like they have cerbral implants or something a la GITS.

Overall the game is ok and is a good attempt at copying the classic CRPGs, but it falls short in a lot of areas. At least I found out where hopw roewur ne comes from.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should still recruit as many as you can. If you go to the ranger citadel there's a NPC who gives you rewards for each recruit you bring him.
Fighting a single random encounter will give you more rewards than recruiting an NPC. If you don't like them, you don't have to recruit them. Just be aware that there is a big jump in difficulty in the 2nd half of the game so your 4-Ranger policy may not work forever.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There should be Injun squaw you can save if you do High Pool first... but yes most of those NPCs were so bland I hadly remember anything about them. As to faction I thought that RSM were raiders who re-branded themselves as security company and DBM were proper militia. I liked Mannerites (thanks to Mister Manners Radio show) and this Church Militant though partly cause of their chad theme songs:

SAMSON VULT!

But yes game would be actually better if started in California.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The DBM pretend they are a militia but they are really no different from Raiders. If you ask around you find out they steal from merchants, just like the raiders do.
The RSM did rebrand themselves as security, but they still act like a bunch of thugs. No different from the leather jerks, really. At least Danford is just an idiot, instead of an asshole idiot like Dengler.

The Church Militant are probably one of the best factions in the game in terms of concept, and the follower you get who's associated with them is pretty great. Unfortunately you don't actually see them that often, and the Bastion is surprisingly small. Its like 2 maps. Sadly, you don't actually get to see a nun wielding a minigun in game. Its usually shotguns, rifles, pistols and grenades. You do encounter one that has a LAW, and that's about it.
Well, at least I didn't. Maybe its randomly generated, or maybe I killed her so fast I didn't even notice what she was using.
Which is a pity, because that art is awesome.
And you will know my name is the lord when I cast my vengeance upon thee, mother fucker. :D

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You should still recruit as many as you can. If you go to the ranger citadel there's a NPC who gives you rewards for each recruit you bring him.
Fighting a single random encounter will give you more rewards than recruiting an NPC. If you don't like them, you don't have to recruit them. Just be aware that there is a big jump in difficulty in the 2nd half of the game so your 4-Ranger policy may not work forever.

Encounters aren't free though. It costs bullets and health items to fight. You don't get that much from a recruitment, but its free EXP.
I'm not saying that you have to play with more than 4 rangers. I'm just saying you can dismiss them and still get the rewards. And then not bother with them again because they are shit.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh. I just want DragoFireheart to know that it's perfectly fine to not recruit people because "they don't appeal to me". Yes, if you climb into the sewer to pick up a nickel, you get a "free" nickel, but if you don't want to climb into the sewer you don't have to. There are nickels everywhere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The RSM did rebrand themselves as security, but they still act like a bunch of thugs. No different from the leather jerks, really. At least Danford is just an idiot, instead of an asshole idiot like Dengler.

I thought it was kinda interesting how the RSM directly took over all of the Prison's businesses and agriculture (except Baychowski's black market), while Dengler seemed to prefer keeping Rodia's businesses under their original local ownership, but bullied/manipulated them into doing what he wanted. Communists vs fascists?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I thought it was kinda interesting how the RSM directly took over all of the Prison's businesses and agriculture (except Baychowski's black market), while Dengler seemed to prefer keeping Rodia's businesses under their original local ownership, but bullied/manipulated them into doing what he wanted. Communists vs fascists?

Huh, that's a good point. The RSM did appear to take a more collectivist approach with their tyranny. They also have a red color scheme, like commies.
What does Ranger difficulty change? Does it make it harder to avoid encounters? I found outdoorsman 8 is all what's needed to avoid even late game encounters on seasoned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What does Ranger difficulty change? Does it make it harder to avoid encounters? I found outdoorsman 8 is all what's needed to avoid even late game encounters on seasoned.

The difficulty levels just adjust how much damage enemies do to you and how much damage you do to them. On Supreme Jerk they do twice as much damage and you do half as much damage. I don't like that it does both those things. It means that enemies are effectively doing four times as much damage than on Normal - because it takes you twice as long to take them down. Would have been better for difficulty to affect just one of those things, probably the first (because nobody likes HP sponges).

Oh, and also on Ranger difficulty and above you don't max out your health when you level up.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Huh, well that's annoying. I guess I'll try ranger mode just because of the level up change. Not healing on level up does sound like a game changer. I don't like how enemies deal more damage while you deal less damage either. That was in Fallout New Vegas and I hated it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Huh, well that's annoying. I guess I'll try ranger mode just because of the level up change. Not healing on level up does sound like a game changer. I don't like how enemies deal more damage while you deal less damage either. That was in Fallout New Vegas and I hated it.

Might be possible to mod it.

circ

Arcane
Speaking of weapons having proper models. Well.. I got a street sweeper earlier, RIP Vex, your sacrifice will... aw fuck it. It uses the same model as the PpSh. One in my group has a semi-permanent ambush icon hanging over him. Out of combat, in combat, not ambushing, doesn't matter. Flickering blood textures. Had to disable shadows to stop performance lagging. Fucking hell Fargo the fuck are you doing?

Well I don't care. I guess it was interesting playing through this once back when it released, but I got no motivation to continue past Titan. Perks are a joke, woohoo aimed shots, fuck you.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

inXile sure like bullet sponges. Even on normal there's plenty of that.

Difficulty levels for the incompetent: make the player do the same thing, but for a longer time. The more time it takes, the more difficult it is!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you're having trouble killing an enemy in a single turn in Wasteland 2 on normal, you're not being efficient enough (that is: burst to your heart's content, keep up with the weapon damage treadmill). :M

DragoFireheart

Meh. I just want DragoFireheart to know that it's perfectly fine to not recruit people because "they don't appeal to me". Yes, if you climb into the sewer to pick up a nickel, you get a "free" nickel, but if you don't want to climb into the sewer you don't have to. There are nickels everywhere.

I did the ruined AG btw.

I ended up recruiting Ralphy. Sadly I already have someone with Toaster points but oh well.

Sykar

Arcane
Just edit the NPCs so their stats make some sense.

One of the most idiotic skill and stat distributions I have seen was Pipezi Joren. When you recruit her she tells you that she is trained in medicine, science and also took part in defense militia training, yet almost nothing of that is acknowledged by her skill selection. Instead of getting skills like Field Medic, Surgeon and Science she gets Perception (WTF useless) and Smartass (WTF).

I edit her that she gets Perception 3 for the feat and then just enough points into science and field medic so her character makes some sense.
I also swap a point from int which is at a useless 5 to Speed so she gets 1 more point in CI.

I gave her a new portrait as well because the old one is an abomination:
p83UmnI.png

vs
latest

easy choice which to pick.

I do the same with all NPCs at that point. Not massive rebuilds like Pipezi just smoothing out some of the most retarded choices like Lexicanum with 7 intelligence (WTF) to 8 so starting with level 21 he gets 4 instead of 3 skill points.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Can you edit Vax as well? I want to make it so I can actually control him instead of him going full retard and shoot my men in the back, give him more health and stats, and rename him to robot cop.
Seriously, why isn't there an AI faction that isn't batshit genocidal insane? That would have been and interesting divergence from the first game. It could have been that instead of a threat assessment program, it was a diplomatic software designed to come up with the best possible outcome to resolve a situation. Hell, throw in some Asimov. Give the nerds the Three Laws, nerds love the Three Laws.

Perception isn't useless though. It makes spotting traps and treasures a lot easier. Unless you mean you already have a ranger with high perception. In that case, yeah, its useless.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I do not know if it is possible to change Vax to a recruit instead of a follower. Somehow I feel that it was a missed opportunity alongside the fact that none of the original Desert Rangers recognize him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom