Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These kind of debates are so "murican" that they basically make no sense at all to anyone else.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's another update. About the ranger base this time.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3?update=193#updates

The Ranger Base – Your HQ in Colorado
Posted: 10/19/2016

Hi Rangers & Exiles,

Eric here. In this update I'll be talking to you about one of the more interesting additions we are making to Wasteland 3 – the Ranger Base. You might remember Ranger Citadel from Wasteland 2 or Ranger Center in Wasteland 1. The Ranger HQ has been a recurring idea in the series, and we want to maintain that tradition Wasteland 3.

In Wasteland 1, Ranger Center was the place where you would start the game and create new recruits. In Wasteland 2, Ranger Citadel had a similar function in that it let you drop off your companion NPCs and recruit new ones if any of your original squad-mates had died in the Wasteland. We also expanded it to include more shops, quest content, lore, and some story elements as well. However, it was mostly a starting point, and your reasons for returning were still a little limited.

With Wasteland 3, it's our aim to expand the HQ concept further and make it feel like a more meaningful part of the game. Early in the story, you will take command of a new Ranger Base in Colorado. Unlike Ranger Citadel in Wasteland 2, it won't start out fully staffed and equipped. Instead, you'll be the sole survivor of Team November, establishing a new foothold in hostile, harsh, and unforgiving territory. It will be up to you to recruit promising new Rangers from the local population and decide how to deal with the crises and challenges that are brought to your door.

In Wasteland 3, the Ranger Base is not something we want you to be constantly micromanaging. This isn't going to be a real-time strategy game; you won't be sending peasants to go chop wood or mine coal, or building settlements. How your base changes will be tightly tied in with the game's narrative and will be uniquely Wasteland.

Instead, we are envisioning the Ranger Base as more of a quest hub that you can return to throughout the game, where interesting events and incidents will arise for you to resolve. You can think of our goals as something along the lines of de'Arnise Hold from Baldur's Gate 2. Far from being a game system where you need to look at graphs, charts, and numbers to balance your budget, the HQ in Wasteland 3 will present you with events, ethical dilemmas, and quests based on your choices, and those choices can have world-spanning consequences.

For example...

During the game, you might return to the Ranger Base after a long trek, only to find representatives from two different factions - the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud and the Gippers. Both have recently discovered a disused oil refinery which dates from before the apocalypse, and blood has already been shed over control of it. The Servants want to make use of the space to start developing explosives, hoping to entrench themselves in the area, but their fanaticism means they are eager to keep the area free from nonbelievers. The Gippers, on the other hand, are interested in taking over the plant to refine their oil reserves, convinced it will help them provide power and fuel to the people in the area.

In both cases, there might be some common benefits (such as access to an additional source of income or a new ally for the Rangers), but your decision will ultimately depend upon what you value as a leader. Do you want to better keep the people in the area secure by granting control to a heavily armed faction, knowing that it also comes with the risk of the Servants introducing the populace to the Great Glow? Or do you value the improvements to quality of life and trade the Gippers might provide, at the risk of making the refinery a tempting target for savage warlords from the Plains?

You'll have to make decisions and deal with the consequences arising from such situations. These consequences will affect the story, but there may also be considerations that are more material. For example, putting the Servants in charge of the refinery might grant you easier access to explosive weaponry, while the Gippers might give you a discount towards fuel and services for your vehicles. And given the tensions between the two groups, you can safely guess that there might be more violence later - with the Rangers now caught in the crossfire.

The Ranger Base is also a core part of our multiplayer gameplay loop. It will be your common hub for you and your buddy to refill your supplies, and it will also be where companions are managed... but we'll save that topic for another day.

ColCol

Arcane
Ian is like a state-of-the-art stealth weapon. Able to blend into any environment he can gain money and attention from.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the only thing we’d really avoid is letting kids get killed. Because that just becomes a soundbite that we don’t want to hear. We just don’t put kids in the game rather than them being immune.

:hmmm:
I enjoyed the quote from Wasteland 2. I think it was Keenan who said something like, "All children in the world of Wasteland 2 are killed during the game installation process."

anus_pounder

Arcane
So the risk of giving the plant to the Gippers is that a side-battle might (will) pop up on the world map? Unless you're RPing an evul Ranger group, how is this even a choice?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3?update=197#updates

$3 Million and Beyond
POSTED: 10/22/2016
Hey Rangers,

Thomas here. We have a whole bunch of odds and ends to share with you this update. The most exciting news first: we passed $3M total in funding, with two weeks to go. It’s an amazing milestone to pass, and it means thatMorningstar, the talking car companion, will be making his commie-loathing appearance in Wasteland 3. Well done, everyone! We still have some stretch goals planned, and I’ll talk about one of those in a bit.

But first, I want to formally welcome you to the Colorado Territories with a new art piece by Andrée Wallin, most recently known for his work on the film Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As you may recall, Wasteland had aniconic top-down cover art piece illustrating the game’s aesthetics, and we made a new take on it for Wasteland 2. Of course, we had to create a new version for Wasteland 3, once again highlighting the game’s unique aesthetic and themes.

Click for a full-size version.

The Colorado Territories
To celebrate the $3M milestone, the narrative team has written an introduction to the Colorado Territories that you’ll be exploring in Wasteland 3.

When the bombs fell, the hardy and patriotic survivalists of Colorado Springs were ready. We burrowed deep and rode out the nuclear rage and the burning dark in our bunkers. We were the last bastion of Old America and the seeds of the new, waiting to bloom when the sun returned.

It never quite did, though. The cold never left Colorado, and the storied Hundred Families that survived Armageddon found that their former land of plenty had become an icy, bandit-haunted wasteland. We fought battles over every bite of food. Sickness came then. Starvation. Cannibalism and atrocities uncounted.

No one knows when the Patriarch was born. We only know the stories of his family’s rise to power. We know he killed his twin with his own hands, and hung his mother for stealing from him. We know that the Dorsey clan crossed him, and what happened to them after, down to the smallest child. We know he hacked and hammered his nation into place until every family and faction answered to him. Even the savages roaming the frozen plains fear the Patriarch.

No one knows when he was born, but he won’t live forever neither. His sons and daughters are fighting, breaking his nation into scheming factions. The warlords and the refugees from the dying east are already clawing at his borders.

At best, a war is coming. At worst?

Annihilation.

Next Stretch Goal!
Our next stretch goal at $3.1M is the Customizable Ranger Squad Insignia, a fun gameplay element where your custom insignia which will appear around your Ranger Base and elsewhere in the world.

But what comes after? At $3.25M, we’ll be adding the Bizarre!

body_width.jpeg

The Bizarre is a marketplace of the expensive, the dangerous, and the weird. It was built into a half-buried ancient mall, difficult to reach even if you know where it is, and acts as a safe haven for the kind of deals that are best kept from any scrutiny. Once you have access to this place, you’ll be able to browse the high-end stock, purchasing your pick of the Bizarre’s valuable and dangerous items, or perhaps you’ll have more nefarious plans for the place...

New Add-Ons!
Throughout the campaign, we’ve had requests for more opportunities to customize your pledge, so today we’ve launched a new set of add-ons! You do not need to re-pledge to grab new add-ons - simply go to the View Pledge page and click the “Edit Pledge” button there.

body_width.jpeg

• Digital Soundtrack - $8
    • A digital copy of the Wasteland 3 Original Soundtrack.
  • Digital Novella Bundle - $8
    • A bundle of three digital novellas fleshing out the world of Wasteland 3.
  • Digital Ranger's Guide to Colorado - $8
    • A digital copy of the Desert Rangers' Guide to Colorado. A mix of art, insights and research from Wasteland 3 production.
  • Digital Art Book - $8
    • A digital copy of the Wasteland 3 art book, including a selection of art from in-progress art to complete pieces, produced throughout Wasteland 3's production.
If you are one of our PayPal users who backed using CrowdOx, these new add-ons are also available there as well. To find them, you can follow your pledge URL that was sent to your inbox.

Thomas Beekers
Designer

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Each update is making me more annoyed tbh. I've been involved in quite some crowdfunding projects, this is by far the most "vague".
They basically assume we trust them completely for some reason and they never talk about any of the details.
All this update told us is 3 lines of fluff and some ambiguous stretch goal about a market for special stuff.
:argh:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Each update is making me more annoyed tbh. I've been involved in quite some crowdfunding projects, this is by far the most "vague".
They basically assume we trust them completely for some reason and they never talk about any of the details.
All this update told us is 3 lines of fluff and some ambiguous stretch goal about a market for special stuff.
Don't be toxic... You are offending the designer.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Vague is probably better than what happened with Red Ash, where everything they said only made the game looked more of a trainwreck. It's obvious they are going for Wasteland 2 copypasta on ice, so if you liked Wasteland 2 and want more of it then you are getting what you are backing. If you didn't like Wasteland 2 then why the hell are you caring about this?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Vague is probably better than what happened with Red Ash, where everything they said only made the game looked more of a trainwreck. It's obvious they are going for Wasteland 2 copypasta on ice, so if you liked Wasteland 2 and want more of it then you are getting what you are backing. If you didn't like Wasteland 2 then why the hell are you caring about this?
The problem is that they are obviously NOT going for "copypasta WL2". It's not even sure that you can create a squad of Rangers yet and from their quotes so far ,it's more probable that you don't. Not to mention multiplayer and base building and stuff like that.
So your argument is invalid initiate, try harder next time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The problem is that they are obviously NOT going for "copypasta WL2". It's not even sure that you can create a squad of Rangers yet and from their quotes so far ,it's more probable that you don't. Not to mention multiplayer and base building and stuff like that.
So your argument is invalid initiate, try harder next time.
They ARE going for a copypasta WL2 if you stick to the singleplayer, with some improved mechanics.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
And how do you know that? Because they say "turn-based combat"?
Cmon man they even changed the dialog system.
If a dev creates a sequel and changes the setting, the PCs, the char creation, the dialog system, adds new big features like multiplayer how on earth can we say he's c/p the previous game?
Not that they should c/p it but...wtf

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks like the campaign has maxed out its investment funds:

FIG FUNDS
$2.25M

Any additional money will come from regular backers only.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3?update=198#updates

The Colorado Caper
POSTED: 10/25/2016
Hello Rangers!

Next week this campaign comes to an end. It’s been a great ride and I’ve been thrilled to see you guys knocked down stretch goals and social media missions alike. It’s a really wild time for inXile, with two studios running multiple projects. It is such a huge help to know we have your continued support, and that you believe in the games we want to make. Together, we’ll keep making these RPGs for many years to come!

To celebrate all our accomplishments, I have some things I want to share. First, a new concept shot from the Bischoffs…

Click for a full-size version.

That's not all, though. When we make games based on real-world places, we like to visit them to get a feel for them, scope out their landmarks, and generally take them in so we can create a more authentic experience in the game. And Wasteland 3 won't be any exception - we're going to be sending team members out to Colorado in the near future to research the game.

However, while we are out there, we'll also be on a bit of a secret mission. We'll be burying a retro-80s time capsule for someone to find. It will be hidden underground, and filled with all sorts of nostalgic goodies. Where will it be? We're not telling you…at least not quite so directly.

Instead, what we will be doing is putting a mirror version of it directly into Wasteland 3. Find it in the game, and you'll also find a set of directions telling you where the time capsule is buried in real life.

Upon the game's release, the first person to find the time capsule in real life and prove it to us, will win a Wasteland Franchise Pack, including a signed Wasteland 1 Art Print, Signed Wasteland 2 Collector’s Edition and Signed Wasteland 3 Collector’s Edition!

Do you have some ideas on what this time capsule should contain? Post it here in the comments, or on our Facebook or forums. We can't wait to hear all your cool and crazy ideas.

Brian Fargo
Leader in Exile

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Next week this campaign comes to an end. It’s been a great ride

It felt the ride never even started. The engines might've, but the vehicle never moved anywhere. This was a seriously vague and unspectacular campaign.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Next week this campaign comes to an end. It’s been a great ride

It felt ride never even started. The engines might've, but the vehicle never moved anywhere. This was a seriously vague and unspectacular campaign.
Compared to campaings like PoE and Broken Age, this was indeed a shitty campaign. Barely any meaningful updates and connection to the community.

Fry

Arcane
Given that the "excitement" in previous campaigns came mostly from stretch goal hype, the game will probably be better off without it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom