Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
How can it be written off if it's more or less the sales of the last release that funds the current developments?

When Kickstarter started, one of the things everybody said was that the great thing about it was that even if a game fails, it doesn't matter so much because the developer didn't have to spend their own money on it.
But we know the reality isn't quite like that, as games end up costing more than what they collect.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Does InXile have other sources of revenue besides game sales that I'm unaware of for game sales to be "written off"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2 brought in 11+ million. A big chunk of that went into finishing Torment, but not all of it. And Wasteland 3 also has "outside partners":

body_width.jpeg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Wasteland 2 brought in 11+ million. A big chunk of that went into finishing Torment, but not all of it. And Wasteland 3 also has "outside partners":

body_width.jpeg
But as far as I know InXile isn't a government sponsored game developer employment program. They don't just want to make games but also make money from them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, I guess they'll be in trouble if more games fail. One isn't enough though. Beamdog survived Siege of Dragonspear too.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Considering how they ran W2 and Torment, I guess they were counting on big Torment sales to finish Bard's Tale, and then BT sales to finish W3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Or maybe they'll open a new page and BT4 will be a smaller, tighter game. My sense is that Matt Findley is taking a bigger role on that (and in general). He's the guy at inXile who wanted to cut Wasteland 2 in half and make it Arizona only.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
:fabulously optimistic: imo

I kind of doubt there's anything they can do to make BT4 a success anyway. The series doesn't have name recognition, inXile's reputation took a big hit with Torment, and my sense is that blobbers have less mass appeal than isometric RPGs.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Took the survey too.

Since there only pleasant surprises or a dry "meh" left to have (disappointment is practically impossible), I decided to keep a semi-open mind about this until I know for certain it's of no use. So yeah, fuck it. I don't give a shit what TTON was like or who's making the game; if they manage to cobble together something playable with this... nice. And since there's not much else to look forward to in the ocean of upcoming fantasy shit, might as well waste my time with this.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

body_width.jpeg
But as far as I know InXile isn't a government sponsored game developer employment program. They don't just want to make games but also make money from them.

Well they only need to make enough to keep going and fund everybody's lifestyle. If the workers get paid, they don't care if there's a big or small profit. Fargo also has enough money to see this thing as more of a vanity project. He could have played it safe and not bothered with a 'Torment' game but I guess he wanted to see if there was a real nostalgia for it or if it was just bullshit hipster faux interest(The pathetic sales of PST:EE despite being by mainstream darlings Beamdog which managed a million BG sales, show that people don't really care for this type of game). BT4 will also sell little as it's not a game series most care about, so again this is Brian doing something risky just cause he wants to. Only Wasteland is the closest thing to 'mainstream' that inXile has and thus the game that they will live or die on.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
If the workers get paid, they don't care if there's a big or small profit.
Maybe if they are fucken retarded. If the company isn't turning up good profit then their job is forever at risk. That if they don't just end up leaving since there's no room for career growth.

In the future I will try to judge Wasteland 3 based on it's own merits and not bring my hate for TToN and Fargo since th-

No, I can't fuck you Fargo you piece of shit Numenera fucking sucked I hate you so much fuck inXile

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I guess they were counting on big Torment sales
Doubtful. Whatever plans they maybe once had for TToN, obviously died a long time ago. Going through the KS updates we could probably pinpoint the exact moment when they lost all passion and hope - I think it was a few months before Fargo fired ksaun. Everything after that turning point was stone cold murder.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I guess they were counting on big Torment sales
Doubtful. Whatever plans they maybe once had for TToN, obviously died a long time ago. Going through the KS updates we could probably pinpoint the exact moment when they lost all passion and hope - I think it was a few months before Fargo fired ksaun. Everything after that turning point was stone cold murder.
The Bard's Tale campaign was launched 5 months before the Kevin Saunders falling out and presumably planned for quite a bit longer than that. Also I'm not sure that inXile realized what a steaming pile Torment really was. They seemed to genuinely believe people would like those walls of banal text. I doubt they expected >1/4 of Wasteland 2's sales, given that both the game and studio had some brand recognition at that point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom