Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
inXile mods don't get to look at IPs, eh?
I can, but the numbers don't mean anything to me.

Now, if I had access to the Codex IP logs ........
images

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This week on Zombra & Roguey, Net Detectives!

"Dammit Zombra, I need that IP address!"
"You're a loose cannon, Roguey! You know I can't give you that! Rules! Et cetera!"
"With our diverse talents, we'd make a helluva team! And our differing attitudes would doubtless engender sparkling repartee!"
"... For at least two seasons! Ha ha! All right, put 'er there, partner!"

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
This week on Zombra & Roguey, Net Detectives!

"Dammit Zombra, I need that IP address!"
"You're a loose cannon, Roguey! You know I can't give you that! Rules! Et cetera!"
"With our diverse talents, we'd make a helluva team! And our differing attitudes would doubtless engender sparkling repartee!"
"... For at least two seasons! Ha ha! All right, put 'er there, partner!"
lk0igSA.jpg

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
the eternal phimseto said:
Cassandra is indeed a writer on the project. I removed the post for a few reasons, not the least of which was it written a way that made it seem like an official inXile statement, which it wasn't. We'll be formally announcing Cassandra's involvement in a future backer update.

7291B124089902A7266D7CEB821B79C8136D7D1B

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Boy, I sure hope she's more open to criticism peppered with the occasional ad hominem attack than the average inXile employee. :evilcodex:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As entertaining as the forum-stalking sometimes is, the truth is I don't really care what she or anyone else posts on their twitter, tumblr, instagram, wtf-ever-else. I care whether the game they work on is better or worse for their inclusion.

Given how shitty most video game writing is, I'm willing to give anyone a chance to prove themselves. At worst, the game will just be slightly more shitty for their addition. At best, someone might actually demonstrate talent for the role.

(Also, this is fucking Wasteland 3 we're talking about.... I can barely remember anything from Wasteland 2, let alone whether the writing was good or poor.)

Zombra

Patron
Lol, did you see his reply to my post before it got nuked? I asked him who he is and I'm pretty sure he replied (his profile says 4 posts now, it was 3 before)
Some other dude asked about Khaw's work. Au_I responded to that and listed some stuff from her portfolio. He acted unaware of your question :argh:

And in case it means anything at this point, it's absolutely official and canon that the guy has never been affiliated with inXile.

Unwanted
My favorite writer is the black mans alexandre dumas, so I doubt that is why my alarm bells go off. It would be so nice to point to my genitals as an excuse any time my boss says he doesn't like something I did :lol:

I don't have much opinion on her but this brings up some interesting discussion points and I do get alarm bells when I see the circle jerk on twitter and all the usual twitter personality bullshit going on.

The writing is certainly shit for inXile, and guys like mccomb are never going to make decent stuff and she looks to be more of the same garbage incoming. This thread made me think a bit about this and I think there are many problems with this whole "culture" and the people associated with it. Fine, everyone puts some blurbs on twitter these days but for many that is basically their whole life and their whole way of having a career in the first place and nothing to do with talent.

1. Hiring some wannabe novelist to write a game is a terrible idea. they don't give a crap about games and it shows. Novelists today are also mainly crap especially since they are not hiring guys who are known like Stackpole but completely random dumbfucks. I mean seriously, did even one person here read a single mccomb book? Maybe if it were Larry Elmore for a DnD game or something like that, a good writer who actually gives a shit about the subject, then maybe this makes sense. Even guys like avelone and guido henkel were not failed novelists who scraped by making shit games, they wanted to make games. They came up with awesome ideas for games and then they got the game greenlit and got to make the story they wanted. That is how games show work in any sane universe.

2. Nepotism. There's a lot of isms here but it comes to the same shit. All of these people gang up and use twitter and patreon to get ahead (and were often let into school by diversity quotas). I've come to realize this is the whole twitter scene in a nutshell. Hey I'm a fuckwit but I have whatever the popular views are and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE anyone on twitter who will give me an @ or retweet me once in a while or will set up a twp way patreon pledge to up my numbers! Such amazing talent, and I totally agree on the feminism/racsism/blacklives/zoophilia! I'm one of the good ones!

3. The modern writing style these people subscribe to is pure shit. I think this follows through from maximum pandering and political correctness, but regardless of the reasons the new books I read are just garbage because they are not really willing to be about anything or support any "outmoded" concepts ie the very culture they are trying to exist in. It is like the postmodern Adventure Time show, where everything is just pure nonsense. It gets old fast and is not something most writers have any talent for at all, it is like playing with your star wars toys with a little kid. In fact, so is star wars today. I'm teh super awesome guy with the mega power! Oh and those guys are bad and stupid and wear their pants backwards hahaha.

Mainly though, I am just shocked mccomb is coming back after the shitfest that is numanuma :lol:

For whatever it's worth, I've looked at some excerpts from Khaw's writing, and she seems perfectly capable of sticking to a piece's subject matter. If the problem is contamination of the work, I don't think it's an issue here. She appears to be professional. If the problem is "I don't like reading the work of authors who have personal opinions they share in public," of course, that's a different issue. And it's perfectly understandable not to be attracted to the work of those whose politics you disagree with. I wouldn't buy ice cream from a Nazi, but that's not really a reflection on the ice cream. Let's just be sure we know what we're complaining about here.

To get out in front of another objection to her, my problem is neither of the above but that her style tends toward the WACKY! WACKY! WACKY! Depending on how much freedom she's given, the atmosphere of her "section" might set a too-silly tone I wouldn't enjoy. I was serious above; I do think she could write great dialogue for whacko cultists or something like this. And after seeing her other work, I think she could do fine taking direction and creating narration etc. in a desired style.

See #3 above.

Unwanted
Also you should possibly avoid hiring writers who have vocabulary check failures on common use words like "rectum".

Morkar Left

1. Hiring some wannabe novelist to write a game is a terrible idea. they don't give a crap about games and it shows. Novelists today are also mainly crap especially since they are not hiring guys who are known like Stackpole but completely random dumbfucks. I mean seriously, did even one person here read a single mccomb book? Maybe if it were Larry Elmore for a DnD game or something like that, a good writer who actually gives a shit about the subject, then maybe this makes sense. Even guys like avelone and guido henkel were not failed novelists who scraped by making shit games, they wanted to make games. They came up with awesome ideas for games and then they got the game greenlit and got to make the story they wanted. That is how games show work in any sane universe.

The problem with most novelists is that they don't know how to interweave the story with gameplay. Something that a gamedesigner and multitalented guy like Henkel can do. You don't have to be a master writer but you have to be aware that a game has different aspects that all have to work together and complement each other. Guido is a decent writer, a good programmer and has some music skills, too. Plus he knows about pnp rpgs. Avellone is a good to pretty good writer and knows about pnp rpgs, too. I guess he has some scripting skills, too and generally knows how to structure a quest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More like two and a half, but okay. It is conspicuous that Wasteland 3 didn't get an end-of-year update like Bard's Tale IV did. Maybe they're all in on BT4 right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom