Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
lol all libruls and faggots in general are celebrting, Now we know who was really butthurt with ratings.

Where did all the brofists go bro? All that hard work evaporated in a flash. Now your profile page is as barren as that of a newfag. FEELSBAD?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
It is faster. I mourned briefly but have now got over it. Perhaps the shakes will start when I feel the urge to ironically rate someone's post 'citation needed' when they make a humourous statement, but for now I'm doing okay. Thank you Codex for caring.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Codexers are more interested in performance than in features and c&c. What a surprise.

When the feature detracts from the overall gaming experience, it has to go.

I celebrate the return to only Brofists, as the forums now run faster and smoother on all ends (check Crispy's stats about the server computer) and it forces forum users to communicate normally again, which I think is the biggest advantage.

In addition the removal of Brofists in the Politics forum changes the landscape there as well for the better... but as for their removal in GD I'm not so certain. Several threads there solely exist on the premises that appropriate content is posted and its value measured in Brofists (I don't consider them Brofist-harvesting threads as they require :effort: from the poster). This will go a long way towards killing them off entirely, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

Also I TOLD YOU SO.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
forces forum users to communicate normally again,

Sorry, but that is not true or at the very least its cititation needed. People where able to respond to posts just fine and did so just as well and as frequently. I am not going to reply to any fluent post now just because I can't rate them prosper anymore. Just because an accurate rating exists doesn't prevent anyone from making a more detailed reply to it if he feels strongly enough about it.

Likewise, just because someone makes a reply doesn't actually help the quality of a discussion neccessarily, so I'd speculate that the abillity to rate actually cut down on a lot of white noise, because people could just click a button and rate something instead of making a whole 'you are shit and your opinion is shit' reply.

In addition the removal of Brofists in the Politics forum changes the landscape there as well for the better

True.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
forces forum users to communicate normally again,

Sorry, but that is not true or at the very least its cititation needed. People where able to respond to posts just fine and did so just as well and as frequently. I am not going to reply to any fluent post now just because I can't rate them prosper anymore. Just because an accurate rating exists doesn't prevent anyone from making a more detailed reply to it if he feels strongly enough about it.

Likewise, just because someone makes a reply doesn't actually help the quality of a discussion neccessarily, so I'd speculate that the abillity to rate actually cut down on a lot of white noise, because people could just click a button and rate something instead of making a whole 'you are shit and your opinion is shit' reply.

But this argument goes both ways. A 200-word reply consisting of nothing relevant can easily "equal" a stupid button rating in quality. The white noise is always there regardless of which system is used. And this is before we get to posters that just can't be bothered to write something as simple as "NO U" and prefer to comb through a long parade of buttons to convey their opinion (read: Millenials).

At least one system is easier on the forums and raises its standards. I know which one I'm happier with.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
and raises its standards.

It doesn't. It actually lowers them. Let me repost:

Even though nobody probably really knows what our troll-in-chief thinks, my best guess is, that his true agenda the long term devaluation of brofists, which have been given give an induly importance by some members in the past. This fits in very well with many similar former stunts like brofist betting, brofist retractions and so on.

interesting.png
The inflation of possible ratings means that the rating of a singular post becomes more important as it can be rated much more accurately, whereas the sheer number of possible ratings ensures that ratings overall become less important, disincentivizing degenerate posting behavior (brofist harvesting) to a certain degree. And thats bredy gud.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I am happy to report that Brofist production has returned to near-normal levels again. This has caused a chain reaction driving up the Dow, NASDAQ, and the S&P to unprecedented heights.

This is the Codex we all can be proud of. Here's to a bright future!

2ryocoj.jpg

Oh c'mon. You can do better:
codex.jpg

EDIT: fixed image hosting fuckery

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codexers are more interested in performance than in features and c&c. What a surprise.
With just brofists available, there is no choice. Only consequences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom