Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Website Updated! New Screenshots!

bluecuracao

Novice
Yay finally! Well, while the new interface shots are really impressive and good looking, the envoirment ones could maybe use a bit more variety than just the same brownish fighting-scenery shown from 4 different angles, but meh.. it's a start! :o

spacemoose

Erudite
you guys need to get someone dedicated entirely to making garbage, litter, plants and other small, non-functional details, it would make the environment much better

GiordanoWC

Novice
Spacemoose said:
you guys need to get someone dedicated entirely to making garbage, litter, plants and other small, non-functional details, it would make the environment much better

I agree. The importance of seeing partially-buried wall remnants, destroyed pieces of weapons, generic litter of the metallic & wooden variety, as well as other such items would certainly lend a particularily battered ambience to the environment.

In areas which may have hosted battles long past, seeing partially buried bodies, broken ensigns (Aquilae), even broken down ballistas would be VERY cool to see. But I'd imagine are not that easy to implement.

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
Jung can buy now?

halp-i-not-cheezburger.jpg

Amasius

Augur
Yeah, the new GUI is much better. But thats no reason to stop nitpicking. Take a look at this screen:

newGui2.jpg

I think the helmet sucks and WTF is that thing that shall picture the gold? Nuggets? It doesn't look that way.

The item pics are a bit uneven. Some (like the rings) are very colorful others are rather palish. I played a bit with the colours and changed some minor things:

aod1.jpg

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hell, it's about time! :starcraft 2:

Looking good.
One thing you might check for consistency: the X close button is differently placed and its shadow is altered in different GUI screens.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Looks really good, I especially like the stats screen changes, the skills sections look more balanced and the dark background panels make for good contrast with the text. Nice :)

If I can offer one suggestion? Maybe put some sort of white glow around the item images to make them contrast better with brown backgrounds. If you look at the combat screens, the small icons which let you choose actions "pop" nicely from their backgrounds but the weapon pictures don't. Because the icons are outlined in black with a small white glow around them.

In fact, you could probably alleviate the problem just by making the panel behind the item lists the same dark brown as the background on the stats screen. And it's probably a good idea, for consistency.

But anyway, aside from those suggestions, VERY nice, well done Elhoim.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The looks of this game have come a long way, since I first saw it. I'll be honest, the first 2D screens were off-putting to me - now it looks like something I'd want to play. Sure it's not gonna wow any graphics junkies, its considerably behind the times, but it doesn't scream INDIE!!! all over the place either. The looks leave spiderweb games in the dust. The interface screens look better than many pro games, IMHO.
I am very curious to see the video now, and see how it all looks in actions. In the end I can only speak for myself, but I think the game looks good enough to interest a considerable swath of RPG players now, provided the gameplay is as good as we hope, and the price is reasonable, and its easy to get it. So for now, big Kudos to the AoD team.

Gosling

Liturgist
Ah, finally!

One thing I ve just noticed though: the lower interface bar is blocked on the screenshots - does this mean that to simply switch between different interface screens I have first to close one and then click on another's icon? I.e. if I want to switch from a stats screen to an inventory screen I have to first close the stats screen and only then push the menu button for Inventory? Why make this a two step action?

sam0t

Novice
Gotta echo what everybodys been saying, It´s about time!

New GUI looks vastly better than the old one, it´s amazing how much GUI graphics can change the overall feeling of a game. Atlast I can spam all my friends with AoD official screenshot page, hopefully the rest of the game comes quick!

edit:

I still think that the item icons could be tad smaller, especially small objects like rings and such.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Wow! Looks fantastic. Between this and Eschalon, indie games are starting to look pretty damn professional.

My one further complaint: in the inventory screen (newGui2.jpg), I think the text in the equipment slots should appear over the image of the item (and possibly centered within the slot, although I don't care as much about that). It's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying that I can't read the text for the bottom left slot, for example. If this is a lot of effort - i.e., if the text is part of the graphic for the GUI rather than generated in-engine - then forget I said anything.

Alternately, go with what sam0t said, and just shrink the item icons until they're small enough that you can see the text behind them.

Either way, it's not a big deal. I can't wait for this game.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Let´s see...

the envoirment ones could maybe use a bit more variety than just the same brownish fighting-scenery shown from 4 different angles, but meh.. it's a start!

What I would like to see is the updated ones where the stretching and blurring of the bricks and sand is fixed... *hint*Flash*hint*

Yeah, the new GUI is much better. But thats no reason to stop nitpicking.

Heh... I got a list of nitpicks I made as soon as I saw them ;)

The item pics are a bit uneven. Some (like the rings) are very colorful others are rather palish. I played a bit with the colours and changed some minor things

As VD said, the items still have to be tweaked. Good sugestions.

About the scrollbar, remember that in 800x600 the bar is bigger and looks fine, and also you can use the mouse scroll. The one you draw would look WAY too big. ;)

One thing you might check for consistency: the X close button is differently placed and its shadow is altered in different GUI screens.

The different background in the char screen is my fault. I´ll bugger Flashback on the X position ;)

If I can offer one suggestion?

As many as you like :)

Maybe put some sort of white glow around the item images to make them contrast better with brown backgrounds. If you look at the combat screens, the small icons which let you choose actions "pop" nicely from their backgrounds but the weapon pictures don't. Because the icons are outlined in black with a small white glow around them.

That´s something I´ll keep in mind when tweaking the items. ;)

In fact, you could probably alleviate the problem just by making the panel behind the item lists the same dark brown as the background on the stats screen. And it's probably a good idea, for consistency.

But then we will have problems with the very dark icons. Besides there is a consistency with the weapon slots in the main GUI, and using the black background too much might lead to a feeling of repetition... And I still have a lot to texture :P

One thing I ve just noticed though: the lower interface bar is blocked on the screenshots - does this mean that to simply switch between different interface screens I have first to close one and then click on another's icon? I.e. if I want to switch from a stats screen to an inventory screen I have to first close the stats screen and only then push the menu button for Inventory? Why make this a two step action?

That was one of the ideas of leaving it there... But it´s not implemented yet. :)

My one further complaint: in the inventory screen (newGui2.jpg), I think the text in the equipment slots should appear over the image of the item (and possibly centered within the slot, although I don't care as much about that). It's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying that I can't read the text for the bottom left slot, for example. If this is a lot of effort - i.e., if the text is part of the graphic for the GUI rather than generated in-engine - then forget I said anything.

The text is part of the graphic :)

Besides, once you read it for the first time, you don´t need to see it everytime. You´ll remember what was each slot for.

Now time for the ego stroke ;)

the new interface shots are really impressive and good looking

But anyway, aside from those suggestions, VERY nice, well done Elhoim.

The interface screens look better than many pro games, IMHO.

New GUI looks vastly better than the old one, it´s amazing how much GUI graphics can change the overall feeling of a game.

Wow! Looks fantastic

Thanks everybody! Your support helps me keep going :D

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
The different background in the char screen is my fault. I´ll bugger Flashback on the X position ;)
Do it ASA-fucking-P! Proper "close" button placement is a very important RPG aspect. It may ruin someone's immersion and we don't want that to happen, do we?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Elhoim said:
Do it ASA-fucking-P! Proper "close" button placement is a very important RPG aspect. It may ruin someone's immersion and we don't want that to happen, do we?

I totally agree. It will break the suspension of disbelief everytime they will close a screen. Now where is Flashback when the RPG world needs him??

cardtrick

Arbiter
Elhoim said:

Tell me you meant "bug," not "bugger" . . .

Elhoim said:
The text is part of the graphic :)

Besides, once you read it for the first time, you don´t need to see it everytime. You´ll remember what was each slot for.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Again, not a big deal . . . but it just sort of bothers me to have partially covered-up text there all the time. What if you were to move the text to the dead center of the slot, for all of the inventory slots. That way you would be able to see it whenever there was no item there (which is the only time it's necessary) and you wouldn't see anything at all when there was an item, so you wouldn't have the awkward-looking half-covered text.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
cardtrick said:
Elhoim said:

Whatever makes both of them happy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
:seinfeld:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
cardtrick said:
Elhoim said:

Whatever makes both of them happy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
:seinfeld:

The problem lies in the distance... But pictures help :P

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Again, not a big deal . . . but it just sort of bothers me to have partially covered-up text there all the time. What if you were to move the text to the dead center of the slot, for all of the inventory slots. That way you would be able to see it whenever there was no item there (which is the only time it's necessary) and you wouldn't see anything at all when there was an item, so you wouldn't have the awkward-looking half-covered text.

Ummm... Maybe... What do other people think?

bluecuracao

Novice
I like the partially covered text, gives the whole thing a more improvised and stuffed up look. I don't like it very much when everything is aligned in perfect rows, has it's own strict "personal" space and no two interface elements ever come close to each other.. it's just too boring and clinical this way.

Please, focus on the important stuff and not all these minor cosmetic changes the people here see! If theres something seriously wrong/inconsistent that you overlooked (like say, the close button in a slightly different position) just fix it in a patch. 98% of all people won't ever notice it anyways.

cardtrick

Arbiter
bluecuracao said:
I like the partially covered text, gives the whole thing a more improvised and stuffed up look.

Haha, I know you explained this somewhat more, and I can imagine that there are certainly people who share your viewpoint, but to me this reads almost exactly like: "I like the partially covered text, it looks amateurish and worse."

As far as your point about focusing on the important stuff, you're right in a way - I don't care about this at all compared to playing the game. But - Elhoim has worked hard on this interface, and it looks fantastic. What's wrong with people pointing out the small things that they see to improve? I imagine after all the work he's put in, he would like to make it as close to perfect as possible. Moreover, tweaking the interface will IN NO WAY delay the game coming out. VD and Flashback have plenty left to do in other areas.

EDIT: Also, I hate the "fix it in a patch" mentality. You only have one chance to make a first impression.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The partially covered text bothers me a bit. You could alleviate the problem with a scroll bar in the text field.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom