Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Website Updated! New Screenshots!

bluecuracao

Novice
cardtrick said:
What's wrong with people pointing out the small things that they see to improve? I imagine after all the work he's put in, he would like to make it as close to perfect as possible.

See, thats the point. The Interface has evolved so much that the changes you suggest right now are only a matter of taste. It's not anymore about making it look "better", but about giving it a distinct "personality". And at this point its better when a single person refines the last few details of the interface rather than everybody suggesting minor details which from his perspective look "not perfect".

Gosling

Liturgist
I'm fine with partially covered text. And it looks well positioned too.

And I know it's been mentioned in other threads many times, but please don't forget to change the cursor arrow. :!: :)

Can't wait to play the game, and the interface really looks great!

cardtrick

Arbiter
bluecuracao said:
cardtrick said:
What's wrong with people pointing out the small things that they see to improve? I imagine after all the work he's put in, he would like to make it as close to perfect as possible.

See, thats the point. The Interface has evolved so much that the changes you suggest right now are only a matter of taste. It's not anymore about making it look "better", but about giving it a distinct "personality". And at this point its better when a single person refines the last few details of the interface rather than everybody suggesting minor details which from his perspective look "not perfect".

Actually, this I pretty much agree with. Design by consensus is almost always a bad idea.

That said, I still don't see a problem with a number of people pointing out the areas that they think need to be improved. You never know - he may simply not have noticed them before. Certainly that has been my experience when designing things in the past: I become so invested in what I'm doing that I lose track of certain details and simply don't notice things that are obvious to outside observers.

Ultimately, you're right - one designer should make all of the final decisions. But I do think it's valuable to have many other observers point out which elements he should focus on and just what he should be making decisions about.

EDIT: And also, while you're right about the design being a matter of taste, I don't really think Elhoim was trying for an
bluecuracao said:
improvised and stuffed up
look. In fact, I think the GUI generally looks heavily and professionally designed, with a very textured and "decayed" feel that mostly matches my impression of the game's atmosphere. "Improvised" is one of the last words I would use to describe it. So while my suggesting the change was a matter of taste, your saying that it's not necessary is also a matter of taste, the difference coming from our considerably different perceptions of the design and its goals.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
The partially covered text bothers me a bit. You could alleviate the problem with a scroll bar in the text field.

Yep, that´s the first thing I noticed in the inventory screen. I´ll make the text area a little bigger and a little more linear.

And I know it's been mentioned in other threads many times, but please don't forget to change the cursor arrow

Yep, it´s in my To-Do list.

About the slot text, I´ll leave it where it is. Even if I put in the middle it will not be covered by the items sometimes, and it may look worse in my opinion. Besides I like it there :)

bluecuracao

Novice
cardtrick said:
EDIT: And also, while you're right about the design being a matter of taste, I don't really think Elhoim was trying for an
bluecuracao said:
improvised and stuffed up
look. In fact, I think the GUI generally looks heavily and professionally designed, with a very textured and "decayed" feel that mostly matches my impression of the game's atmosphere. "Improvised" is one of the last words I would use to describe it.

Yeah, you're right of course. Excuse me for my bad wording, i only had a couple of years english back in school 10 years ago and haven't used it much since. I guess i just wanted to contrast the "clean aligning in exact rows" to something and with "improvised" and "stuffed up" i definately chose the wrong words. But i think you got what i mean. Well, i hope.. Let me try again: It just looks more natural this way, like the items are actually laying on top of the slot and are more than just pixels aligned somewhere.

cardtrick said:
So while my suggesting the change was a matter of taste, you're saying that it's not necessary is also a matter of taste

Well.. as much as i hate it but i have to disagree here with you. You saying you "don't like the look of the partially obscured text" is a matter of taste. Me saying that this decision should be up to the designer is actually just the logical thing to do. And you don't really believe that they never noticed the items overlaying a part of the text, do you?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Elhoim said:
About the slot text, I´ll leave it where it is. Even if I put in the middle it will not be covered by the items sometimes, and it may look worse in my opinion. Besides I like it there :)

Okay, that's cool. It was never a big deal anyhow, and bluecuracao is right that it should be your choice. Once again, I just want to say that I love the new interface.

bluecuracao said:
You saying you "don't like the look of the partially obscured text" is a matter of taste. Me saying that this decision should be up to the designer is actually just the logical thing to do. And you don't really believe that they never noticed the items overlaying a part of the text, do you?

Well, when you put it like that, obviously you're right. I guess I just kind of misunderstood your first post. You said that the decision should be left to the designer in a later post, but in the first one you said that you liked the "improvised and stuffed up" look and wanted to retain it. I guess I took your first post to be saying, "please leave it alone because I like it this way," and that was mostly what I was arguing about, whereas you later clarified that you really meant "I like it how it is, but regardless of my preference it should be up to the designer."

And as far as never noticing the items overlaying a part of the text: there's a difference between noticing something objectively and noticing that something is a problem. I'm sure they noticed it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never realized that someone might take issue with it. (And, of course, that might just be because I'm apparently the only person who does take issue with it, and even I barely care about it.)

bluecuracao

Novice
Yay, finally we understand each other, but meh, so much words about nothing.. :wink:

I guess i should apologize too, i got a bit fed up with all the people here saying: "Change this letters please, looks stupid", "the x-box in the second screen is one pixel too far left", etc.. Really, some people seem like they spend half an hour looking for some minor details with each new AoD screenshot appearing. Just trust the designers a bit more please, reading and writing about this minor stuff is kind of wasting your and their time, at least when practiced to this extent here.

Of course, if something is seriously wrong it should always be pointed out, but remember, what you've seen here on the forums is really just a very small part of the whole game and i bet there are TONS of issues that are more important and critical to the game than the things you bring up here. If every new screenshot is followed by debates like this, i understand very well why VD waited so long to update them at his site..

RGE

Liturgist
Elhoim said:
The item pics are a bit uneven. Some (like the rings) are very colorful others are rather palish. I played a bit with the colours and changed some minor things

As VD said, the items still have to be tweaked. Good sugestions.
I agree that the item pics are uneven, but I strongly disagree that they should all be changed to conform to the yellow cartoon jewelry. Rather keep the "palish" look of the other items and change the gold jewelry to look like actual metal and not so much like RPG icons for kiddy games. You know, if it's not too hard to do that. :)

User was nabbed fit

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but I'll have a go anyway...

I'm not too fond of the Fallout-type crosshair. I don't really think it fits into that universe, but maybe that's just me?

galsiah

Erudite
Agreed - but what would you change it to? Functionally it's ideal - it clearly shows up, has an unambiguous purpose, and isn't visually distracting (in the sense that a bow+arrow symbol or similar would be - it seems like a natural part of the process, rather than an icon yelling "Look at me - I'm indicating that you're taking a ranged shot!").
Perhaps the design could be more fitting - maybe removing the vertical and horizontal lines would help remove modern associations. I think that some sort of sight is a good idea though.

Mr.Rocco

Novice
Can't you do something about red colour in your helmet & armour? It's been bothering me since I saw them some time ago and look childish to me.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It seems no matter how good the interface looks, you manange to make it look even better.

One thing I noticed are inventory icons and text crossing the border of the slot they are in, like the gaudy bunch at the end of the inventory in the first screenshot.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Mr.Rocco said:
Can't you do something about red colour in your helmet & armour? It's been bothering me since I saw them some time ago and look childish to me.

Well, I´ve already did something to the armors shown in the screenshots. Those are not the final ones. I would love to show you how they look now, but I don´t know if I can. We have to keep a few surprises in store.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, I'm sure you can show a few armor sets. For feedback purposes.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Very nice work fellas. Looking better all the time. Can't wait to try out the game.

I was hoping to see the video last week but damned RPG Vault is holding onto it. At least your sneak peek #2 is up from last on the Coming Soon to middle of the list. So we should see that fucking video any week now. :twisted:

VD, you should have flown them up to Canada gave them free bobble-heads, hookers, and beer... and you would have had your best game evar preview by now.

Edit: That armor looks great. The previous one you had up for a short period of time (the green one) looked good also but the screen shot was a bit dark. Still looks amazing very nice work.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Nice! That armor looks great - very ornate and (dare I say it) decadent. Would be perfect for a noble or some kind of important officer.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Elhoim said:
the envoirment ones could maybe use a bit more variety than just the same brownish fighting-scenery shown from 4 different angles, but meh.. it's a start!

What I would like to see is the updated ones where the stretching and blurring of the bricks and sand is fixed... *hint*Flash*hint*
That's getting done? Great!

The armor definitely looks good. There's a more "real" aspect to it than the ones we were shown before.

Nedrah

Erudite
So, uhm...

How about patching up a small playable area of the game and releasing it as a mini-demo to your dedicated fa... meh, the guys who won't torrent it if it's as good as it looks right now.

bluecuracao

Novice
Nedrah said:
How about patching up a small playable area of the game and releasing it as a mini-demo to your dedicated fa... meh, the guys who won't torrent it if it's as good as it looks right now.

Yeah, do that please. This would give you much more viable feedback on the really important issues (gameplay, overall feeling, integrity, etc..) than just "oh look, the close box is wrongly placed in screenshot #6!".

But if i remember right, this is already off the table.. no demo or beta-test planned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom