Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Website Updated! New Screenshots!

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Ander Vinz said:
Elhoim, Flashback, very good work with bricks :wink:. This is the quality I hoped for. But please tweak the ground texture.

That's much harder, because it's not a regular 3D objects in TGE, but a TerrainBlock. There are tons of issues with it. And in fact it's not possible to make the ground texture more detailed/varied.

We'll check some workarounds later, though.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Flashback said:
And in fact it's not possible to make the ground texture more detailed/varied.

We'll check some workarounds later, though.
Super, super.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The key word is "workarounds". I meant that Torque doesn't provide the functionality I need, so I'll have to add it myself or use some tricks. Making impossible possible, that's what my work is all about.

If we'll consider that the result worth the time, we'll do it.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
But if i remember right, this is already off the table.. no demo or beta-test planned.

D'oh! I was wondering why I never got my beta invite.

I was under the assumption there would be a limited closed beta. I know some friends and relatives were/are already playing/testing it. Either way I am very much looking forward to this game.

I even scaled back my visits to the AoD forums just to keep from getting overly excited about the possible beta testing last Fall/Winter. And to somewhat distance myself and limit my knowledge of the game.

Not that I wouldn't want to help beta test it. I would still jump at the opportunity if given. Because I love playing games and this is of the type that is few and far between. So don't fuck this up VD. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, there would be a demo. After all, it's a shareware game. As for the beta, it's not off the table yet. We have plans for several different "demos" (combat, faction questlines, etc), but implementing them takes time and I'd rather not delay the game any more than it's necessary.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Don't want to kiss up since that bobble-head you gave us is kinda cheap looking... but I will admit the delays if any for the changes that have been made are really paying off. Seems to me you know what is best. You're all doing great from the look of it.

Since you have peaked my interest again would you be willing to estimate AoD status? Any major issues to resolve? If I remember correctly you are fine tuning, polishing, and play testing to make the game a more enjoyable experience. So you are content complete as far as locations, quests, and story are concerned?

As far as the shareware statement goes that will be a net demo which will contain those (combat, faction questlines, etc) aspects which can be unlocked for the full version? But we can purchase AoD as a whole from day-one also correct?

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
@ Flashback : Yeah, the Torque terrain is a bit painful. I Looked at trying to modify the terrain blender but it is pretty nasty and I decided it wasn't worth the headache for now.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Very nice work on the armor and clothes. Already roqua is complaining over at RPGwatch how the game attracts the Gfx whores now ;)
Glad you could fix the blurry rock textures, too.Now you just have to get it out before it looks old again :)

Mayday

Augur
About the gfx whores' complaints: is it not possible to add detail textures to the engine?

Durwyn

Prophet
I AM fucking shocked about the quality of armor sets... many full-budget games can lick AoD's balls in terms of artistic quality of textures... Call me a Gfxwhore but i do like this shit...

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Flashback said:
The key word is "workarounds". I meant that Torque doesn't provide the functionality I need, so I'll have to add it myself or use some tricks. Making impossible possible, that's what my work is all about.

If we'll consider that the result worth the time, we'll do it.

Are you saying there are no terrain decals or such in Torque?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Graphical answer to Mayday and nihil:

Terrain look with and without detail texture (which is allowed single per map):
detailskp3.jpg

Painting different terrain textures with the SMALLEST brush:
brushjr2.jpg

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Flashback said:

Ouch. And no way to add specific decals like cracks and stuff? You should license id tech 5 and use Carmack's megatextures. ;)

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
nihil said:
Flashback said:

Ouch. And no way to add specific decals like cracks and stuff? You should license id tech 5 and use Carmack's megatextures. ;)

I hear VD has already planned to do just that for AoD2:The Wastelands :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom