Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Western games?

Starwars

Arcane
I was just watching a Let's Play Outlaws over on SA, and I was remembering how great this game was when it came out. And how sad it is that Western games in general don't seem to be very popular.

Any good ones?

Allanon

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
Call of Juarez was a pretty fun Western FPS.

True, finished it twice.

Now it is possible to get dx10 patch as well for improved graphics.

Oh, and Desperados is a nice strategy game Commandos style.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you might want to check out GUN. Something like GTA meets wild west, and the music is superb.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Ditto on Call of Juarez. I was surprised how well they nailed the exploration level where you hunt rabbits and stuff. That felt so damn cool.

Desperados is a really great game, too. The last few levels are ass but before that its all good.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Interesting. But isn't Call of Juarez pretty linear? (I hate linear games.)

Certainly the right time to buy, amazon shops sell it for a few quid.

As far as linear shooter go, I could go as far as HD2 or Mafia, but nothing more linear than that. Could not play Call Of Cthulu for linearity, even though it had such a fantastic athmosphere.

I hope there only was a Western game where you could walk about and hunt and steal and dig for gold, in a sandbox style like Morrowind, that would be extremely exciting.

Korgan

Arbiter
I'm playing GUN now. Fun and GTA-like, though the grafix r teh suckage. You can hunt and dig for gold, yeah. And there are stats and upgrades and shit. It's pretty short, unfortunately.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Korgan said:
the grafix r teh suckage.

this statement is wrong on so many levels

2zfmtf5.jpg

And horse animation are gud.

Starwars

Arcane
I tried Call of Juarez briefly when it was relelased, but I don't know. For some reason it didn't really interest me, not sure why.

Might give Gun a try. Thanks for the tips.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There was also that adventure game, "Dust: A Tale of the Wired West" or something like that. I thought it was fun back then.

Allanon

Augur
Starwars said:
I tried Call of Juarez briefly when it was relelased, but I don't know. For some reason it didn't really interest me, not sure why.

How briefly? Thing is, the game is divided between two characters - Billy and reverend Ray. Now, Billy is the character you start the game with, it's mostly jump/swing/stealth gameplay. However, soon enough you start to play with the reverend and it's all shooting and reading Bible. The story is told through both characters and it's quite interesting. Maybe you didn't like Billy, but should try playing longer for the reverend.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate how you can't hurt innocent people (throwing bottles at the bartender results in GAME OVER) and horses in Call of Juarez. WTF!? Is there any way to mod this out?

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
Gun is great, although very "consoley" and short.
Seconded. If they had put in more content, it would have been a real gem.

You might want to try Red Dead Revolver if you aren't entirely averse to console games. It was made by Rockstar, not perfect, but not terrible either. The 'showdowns' are a pretty awesome way to resolve quick draw fights, my favorite thus far in a western game actually.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MaskedMan said:
I hate how you can't hurt innocent people (throwing bottles at the bartender results in GAME OVER) and horses in Call of Juarez. WTF!? Is there any way to mod this out?

oh noez!1

Starwars

Arcane
Hehe, I loved Gunsmoke. Great game.

Still, Outlaws is probably my fav Western game.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Western Games / West Bank were somewhat entertaining albeit repetitive if you don't mind 8-bit games. I was rather bad in milking...

DefJam101

Arcane
I never bothered to snag CoJ because the demo didn't impress me much. I guess I'll remove it from an inventory now if Codex recommends it. :?

Bible reading and senseless violence are two of my favorite things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom