Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some good games to play in German?

Wulfstand

Prophet
The title is self-explanatory. I want to enlarge (to be honest, 'create' would be a more proper term) my german vocabulary, by immersing myself in its language.

Outside of games like Gothic/Risen, which others would you recommend I give a go? Role-playing, action and/or adventure games, it doesn't matter.

As a bonus question: can I somehow change the language in IE games into german, but still keep (what little there is of) the voice-acting in English? I'd love to replay BG 2 in german, but I doubt that anyone other than David Warner could bring justice to Irenicus' character, and having a differently-voiced Minsc in the party wouldn't be the same, I think.

If you like adventure games, you might wanna look for the games by Weltenschmiede, a German studio that was active in the early 90s. I remember playing Das Stundenglas, a kind of graphical text adventure that had quite a unique flair.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Adventure games definitely. Daedalic's shit in german makes for good practice

Thanks for tip! After a quick search, their 'Memoria' looks like a really interesting game, judging by the hand-drawn backgrounds. I'll grab 'The Whispered World' first.

Off-topic:
I keep looking for the 'Reply' button in the left part of the bar, and so half the time I click on the 'Report' button. Why are the 'Brofist' and 'Report' buttons, as in the ones that are most often used, in such an inconvenient spot?

TripJack

Hedonist
q2YoCuC.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'd love to replay BG 2 in german, but I doubt that anyone other than David Warner could bring justice to Irenicus' character, and having a differently-voiced Minsc in the party wouldn't be the same, I think.

Do it. BG2 is one of the rare games I always prefered playing in German over English. Superior dubbing and excellent translation.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'd pick a game that you know by heart and is available in several languages from the get-go.

For me, for example, that would be Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Thanks for tip! After a quick search, their 'Memoria' looks like a really interesting game, judging by the hand-drawn backgrounds. I'll grab 'The Whispered World' first.

Don't really recommend TWW because it's terrible though :M

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'd pick a game that you know by heart and is available in several languages from the get-go.

For me, for example, that would be Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos.

That's great advice, I've thought about it as well. The IE games are what come first to mind. Those and some LucasArts games. I've also replayed Gothic 1&2 dozens of times as a kid, to the point of nausea.

Darth Roxor any particular recommendations, then?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:lol:

How the hell do you play Zork I? Most of the verbs that I type (either in infinitive or 1st person) can't be used.

Never played a German text adventure, but I guess you would use imperative forms?

Like, take = nimm
give = gib
look = schau

Like it is done with the verbs in graphic adventures:
monkey_island_2.jpg

Monkey Island series is excellent in German btw, I played it both in English and German and it's worth playing them in both languages cause the translation team did a really great job with the jokes, especially puns - creating new ones where the joke would be lost in translation.

Visbhume

Prophet

Memoria is great, it has an interesting story and gorgeous art.

The engine has a really annoying limitation though: you can't pause in the middle of a dialog to read the subtitles at your own pace. Very vexing. I tried to get around this by alternating with a YouTube playthrough:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor any particular recommendations, then?

Well, so far I've actually only played through one because it's incredibly taxing (gotta check the dictionary a LOT), so I could only do it on an on/off basis, but Edna and Harvey - The Breakout has a lot of good (modern day) vocab.

JudasIscariot also has a point about Darklands, but the cool thing about Darklands is that you can pick up a shitton of vocab even when playing in English because it uses German words all the time.

I also recommend all Wolfenstein games (and all like that). It sounds like something obvious/banal, but they are also a good source of various words and expressions if you are attentive (even when they are just VERBOTEN! signs)

Crichton

Prophet
I don't know that I'd recommend them on their own merits, but I played the two "Drakensang" games in German. The first one is basically everything no one liked about NWN2 without any of the things anyone did like. The second one improves the writing somewhat but still isn't exactly a classic. They both suffer tremendously from a combination of regenerating mana (astral energy) and an inability to block enemy movement (you can have three fighters trying to hold a doorway against a horde of enemies and they'll calmly step aside to allow enemies to pass between them to attack your archers and magicians).

Wulfstand

Prophet
Does anyone know how I could play Gothic I in german? I've managed to dig-out my original disk, yet it doesn't seem to have a german-language option available. Is there a way I can tweak it in the .ini files or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom