Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some good JRPGs/RPGs for non-storyfags

hackncrazy

Savant
So, can you guys recommend some RPGs that are good for the enlightened people that thinks that stories in videogames are shit?

Mainly, I'm looking for games where you can skip/fast-forward/make some tea while the story parts are going and keep progressing without problems and still enjoy the combat part of the game and/or doesn't have a focus on story at all.

For my experience, here are some games that are great even if you skip each and every single cutscene available:

- Vagrant Story
- Most of Fire Emblem games (from what I've played, Thracia 776, Binding Blade and Awakening are great)
- Soulsborne series
- Ys (Seven and Oath of Felghana are the ones I played)
- SMT Nocturne
- Legend Of Grimrock 1 and 2
- Nier
- Ni No Kuni
- Final Fantasy XII (Although I'm eager to include XIII as well. Doing some challenge runs on that game is really a fun thing to get deep into it's battle system, which looks very bland at first glance but can get really deep)

Any help is welcome!

PS: I thought of doing this thread on the "General RPG" but I think the amount of shitposting would be too intense, mainly because the games I listed are mainly RPGs, since I don't have that many experience with cRPGS (from the most famous, I've played Baldur's Gate for 5 hours or so but dropped because I really didn't like the battle system), but recommendations of them are also welcome!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Well, I don't share your view but whatever, I like good mechanisms so I guess I can still give some clues.

If you want to try some cRPGs with good combat and light story, then I'd recommend Temple Of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Chalice (you can play the demo) or one of the goldbox games (here or there).
From very recent ones, maybe Voidspire Tactics. Divinity : Original Sin and Blackguards both have good combat too but the story is a little heavier.

If you want more of the same as Legend Of Grimrock 1&2, you can play Dungeon Master and its sequel Chaos Strikes Back (LoG1 is directly inspired by Dungeon Master). Then maybe Eye of the beholder 1&2 too.

Then the Wizardry or Might&Magic series and a lot of other turn-based (or real time) blobbers are clearly not focused on their story, but just like in LoG1&2 you have to solve puzzles and/or to pay attention to what happens or you could get stuck.

Now regarding JRPGs, I could for example recommend The Dark Spire, Front Mission 5 : Scars of the war (this episode because it's the only one I've played), Makai Kingdom or Valkyria chronicles, maybe Resonance of Fate too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Obligatory just play strategy games statement. X-COM, Age of Wonders, Jagged Alliance, etc.

If not, well most of the SMT series would suit you well from a gameplay standpoint, as well as spin-offs and the like. There's also Etrian Odyssey, better combat than Grimrock at least.

Most of Fire Emblem games (from what I've played, Thracia 776, Binding Blade and Awakening are great

Well, clearly you have low standards. Or haven't played it for long.

Hyperion

Arcane
I'm currently playing Shadow Hearts: Covenant again and I forgot how great it is. If you're skilled at the Judgment Ring you can play through a good portion of the game without ever taking damage. Suck at it, and get reamed. Quite a few moments in the dialogue that can give you a chuckle as well.
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled is highly underrated, and in my opinion, unfairly criticized for its high encounter rate.
You played Nocturne, so you have a whole ton of SMT games available to you.
Disgaea is pretty much the antithesis to a storyfag's SRPG.
Since you liked Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve functions similar to it, but is true turn-based, compared to VS's RTwP style.
You liked Legend of Grimrock, so you've an entire library of blobbers at your disposal. Etrian Odyssey should be seconded. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I've come across mostly positive things about Stranger of Sword City.
Dragon's Dogma is the king of action RPG's imo.
My experience with Ys is limited to its side-scrolling days in Wanderers, so Castlevania, up to and including Symphony of the Night + the handhelds are a must. Then go over to the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night thread and pray like the rest of us.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Final Fantasy V is probably the best non-storyfag final fantasy game there is

since you like Ys, try playing the first and second game, i enjoy the combat system there much more than Ys VI/Felghana-style combat

for blobbers i second Might and Magic, simplistic combat but still very enjoyable due to the exploration

I also remember enjoying this freeware Battle of Wesnoth, but I even forget how long it was the last time I played it... so just download it and try for yourself

oh, and play the japanese blobbers too, you can start with Strangers of Sword City

hackncrazy

Savant
Well, I don't share your view but whatever, I like good mechanisms so I guess I can still give some clues.

If you want to try some cRPGs with good combat and light story, then I'd recommend Temple Of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Chalice (you can play the demo) or one of the goldbox games (here or there).
From very recent ones, maybe Voidspire Tactics. Divinity : Original Sin and Blackguards both have good combat too but the story is a little heavier.

If you want more of the same as Legend Of Grimrock 1&2, you can play Dungeon Master and its sequel Chaos Strikes Back (LoG1 is directly inspired by Dungeon Master). Then maybe Eye of the beholder 1&2 too.

Then the Wizardry or Might&Magic series and a lot of other turn-based (or real time) blobbers are clearly not focused on their story, but just like in LoG1&2 you have to solve puzzles and/or to pay attention to what happens or you could get stuck.

Now regarding JRPGs, I could for example recommend The Dark Spire, Front Mission 5 : Scars of the war (this episode because it's the only one I've played), Makai Kingdom or Valkyria chronicles, maybe Resonance of Fate too.

Thanks for your post. From the ones you mentioned, I've only played a bit of Divinity, but as you said, the heaviness of the story made me give up really quick.

As for the others, I don't mind about having to solve puzzles and such like in M&M and Wizardry series. In fact, the puzzles are one of my favorite parts of Grimrock (didn't love the tango combat that much), so knowing that these are turn based, maybe I'll like them more.

The Dark Spire is one I've been wanting to play for a good time, soon I'll give it a chance. As for Makai Kingdom, the gameplay is akin to Disgaea, right? I'll certainly give it a shot since I love that game.

And I'll take a look on the oldest cRPGs you recommended, thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

hackncrazy

Savant
Obligatory just play strategy games statement. X-COM, Age of Wonders, Jagged Alliance, etc.

If not, well most of the SMT series would suit you well from a gameplay standpoint, as well as spin-offs and the like. There's also Etrian Odyssey, better combat than Grimrock at least.

Most of Fire Emblem games (from what I've played, Thracia 776, Binding Blade and Awakening are great

Well, clearly you have low standards. Or haven't played it for long.

Well, I've only played these three, and even though I thought Awakening was the weaker of the bunch, I still liked it. Are there any others of the series that I should play?

As for the strategy ones, I already play a good deal of them, mainly X-COM Terror From The Deep, but I'll take a look on JA (the second is the best one, right? Should I play the first?)

hackncrazy

Savant
I'm currently playing Shadow Hearts: Covenant again and I forgot how great it is. If you're skilled at the Judgment Ring you can play through a good portion of the game without ever taking damage. Suck at it, and get reamed. Quite a few moments in the dialogue that can give you a chuckle as well.
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled is highly underrated, and in my opinion, unfairly criticized for its high encounter rate.
You played Nocturne, so you have a whole ton of SMT games available to you.
Disgaea is pretty much the antithesis to a storyfag's SRPG.
Since you liked Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve functions similar to it, but is true turn-based, compared to VS's RTwP style.
You liked Legend of Grimrock, so you've an entire library of blobbers at your disposal. Etrian Odyssey should be seconded. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I've come across mostly positive things about Stranger of Sword City.
Dragon's Dogma is the king of action RPG's imo.
My experience with Ys is limited to its side-scrolling days in Wanderers, so Castlevania, up to and including Symphony of the Night + the handhelds are a must. Then go over to the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night thread and pray like the rest of us.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I love Disgaea. Even though I'm not that a fan of grinding, the way this game makes it, allowing you to go inside the Item and enhancing it as deep as you go is really nice in my opinion. Have only played the first one and I hope I can play the other 4 this year.

And aside of Nocturne, I've played the Persona games as well. 3 and 4 I couldn't finish because of the VN/heavy storyfaggotism that it shows when you're out of combat. But I heard good things about Strange Journey, gonna give it a try. Same thing for Etrian and Sword City

Parasite Eve has a version for PSP, right? Should I begin with it or with the PSX games?

And as for Castlevania, I liked them a lot, even though SOTN is kind of a letdown for me in the challenge aspect, I don't know why the hell they made the game so easy.

Gonna take a lot at Shadow Hearts and Dragons Dogma, thanks for these.

hackncrazy

Savant
Final Fantasy V is probably the best non-storyfag final fantasy game there is

since you like Ys, try playing the first and second game, i enjoy the combat system there much more than Ys VI/Felghana-style combat

for blobbers i second Might and Magic, simplistic combat but still very enjoyable due to the exploration

I also remember enjoying this freeware Battle of Wesnoth, but I even forget how long it was the last time I played it... so just download it and try for yourself

oh, and play the japanese blobbers too, you can start with Strangers of Sword City

I thought only FF XII and XIII could be played by non-storyfags, nice to know V can as well.

And I already have YS 1 and 2 on PSP, I'm about to play them.

And thanks for the other recommendations as well, they are all on my list.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you liked Nocturne then you can give the other SMT games a look. I'd avoid the Persona games since they are heavy on dialogue, but Persona Q is a EO clone dungeon crawler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom